ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tipping

I would classify myself as a inconsistent tipper if I have a good meal and service is good I'll leave a good tip or if I'm consistent customer.

However tipping haircuts I'm poor I have gone through so many hair people at Knockouts I have lost count so I have to see how they do before I give a good tip.

Every once in awhile I will tip twice the normal amount for exceptional service. Tipping the normal amount for substandard service is nuts.

Not judging, but are you saying this so that the server can avoid paying taxes or does the company take some of it if you use a card?
These considerations can be taken out of the equation by tipping with gold bullion like a responsible capitalist.

Reactions: noelr
Yes but think about it. They are still preparing your meal and packaging it. But moreso to the point, if they are getting paid at some low wage with some expectation of 10-20% tips per check, then you are screwing these folks.
Horsesh*t. When you go to a sit down meal, you're not tipping the kitchen staff for making and plating your meal. That;s their job and they make more than the servers, who are paid basically half of minimum wage.

Reactions: mike412 and Ray-Ray
Here in Hilton Head, everyone is making a living wage. Businesses have to pay, or no one can’t afford to live here.
I tip at a restaurant while being served. I do not tip at counters.
I think the minimum wage here is $20.00 plus.
It’s effing nuts.

I've found when I over tip on a pizza/food delvery a few times I've been receiving bigger portions and over all better service . I mean what's a couple extra dollars for the delivery guy ? These people delivering can get in to some shady situations . No matter what neighborhood these days .
What's an extra 10 ?

Reactions: pittdan77
Horsesh*t. When you go to a sit down meal, you're not tipping the kitchen staff for making and plating your meal. That;s their job and they make more than the servers, who are paid basically half of minimum wage.
My buddy sent me this from a food bill at an Italian restaurant in Florida. This is how crazy tipping is getting.
Screenshot-20231226-153658-Facebook.jpg

Reactions: USN_Panther
It’s been a thing at restaurants in DC to add a 20% “service charge” and generally the expectation is not to tip on top of that… it’s a pretty controversial thing, which I get. I haven’t really seen it too much but don’t eat out a ton. Places should be disclosing that on their menu if they do it.

As someone who pays for just about everything with a credit card, I try to make it a point to carry at least some cash and usually it ends up being for tips, especially on vacation. The worst thing is when I run low or out and am in a situation I feel I should tip… sometimes you underestimate what all you need to tip for, which is where tipping culture can get annoying. But I try.

Reactions: mike412
Years ago, my wife and I went to a Sandal's All Inclusive resort in Jamaica. No Tipping was allowed and employees could be fired for accepting tips.

Nevertheless, I candidly gave $20 to the bartender and the room maid. At that time, $20 was probably a month's pay for those 2.

After that, the drinks were so loaded that you could barely drink them!
And the maid was making animals out of the towels and we'd find bottles of rum and fresh flowers in the room every day!

Like someone said above, $20 was nothing to me, but apparently made a great difference to those people.

It’s been a thing at restaurants in DC to add a 20% “service charge” and generally the expectation is not to tip on top of that… it’s a pretty controversial thing, which I get. I haven’t really seen it too much but don’t eat out a ton. Places should be disclosing that on their menu if they do it.

As someone who pays for just about everything with a credit card, I try to make it a point to carry at least some cash and usually it ends up being for tips, especially on vacation. The worst thing is when I run low or out and am in a situation I feel I should tip… sometimes you underestimate what all you need to tip for, which is where tipping culture can get annoying. But I try.
it's been par for the course for parties over a certain number, bigger groups. a mandatory gratuity already added on, usually 18%.

it's pretty much a safety net for the waiter who has been spending half their shift waiting on one table. they wont get stiffed. the flip side is, you are capping your tip which could have been higher.

a safe move if you are waiting on certain demographics (See FK's post above on this) but if you have a certain group that you know will tip well, you ask the manager to take the gratuity off and play the odds..

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I've found when I over tip on a pizza/food delvery a few times I've been receiving bigger portions and over all better service . I mean what's a couple extra dollars for the delivery guy ? These people delivering can get in to some shady situations . No matter what neighborhood these days .
What's an extra 10 ?
We don't have any delivery joints in the sticks but there are one or two places I go where I see the same staff all the time. Always tip better at those places and it definitely gets you better service.

Definitely worth a few extra bucks to tip the concierge well at the start of an extended stay at a hotel, too.

Reactions: mike 301
it's been par for the course for parties over a certain number, bigger groups. a mandatory gratuity already added on, usually 18%.

it's pretty much a safety net for the waiter who has been spending half their shift waiting on one table. they wont get stiffed. the flip side is, you are capping your tip which could have been higher.

a safe move if you are waiting on certain demographics (See FK's post above on this) but if you have a certain group that you know will tip well, you ask the manager to take the gratuity off and play the odds..
I hear you on that, but these are charges that aren’t even for parties of a certain size, it applies to everyone. The worst is certain places put such terms as “fair wage fee” behind the charge.

There are people who wash dishes and stuff.

This is why I dont understand being given the option to tip at places where you order at a counter, pay, and take the food to go. You are being asked to tip before the order has even begun to get processed. You can tip them $100 and then they make your food, give it to you, and then punch you in the face if they want and they will still get your tip.
Well in any transaction there is an implicit trust that you agree to. If they do this to you after a nice tip, then don't go there again.

Like many other things, my tipping habits were for the most part something I learned from my father. He was a roofer for many years, and I suspect he empathized with other blue collar types, and most people we tip are blue collar workers. I mean, I don’t tip my cardiologist or my pharmacist.

My dad was a big tipper. His one luxury in life was getting a haircut, razor shave and manicure every week, and he tipped a lot to both the barber and the manicurist.

He tipped 20% to waiters and waitresses back when the going rate was 5 to 10%. He tipped people most of us probably don’t think of tipping. When we went to the bakery, for example, he tipped the person behind the counter who took our order. He tipped the butcher at the Giant Eagle who cut the meat he ordered. He tipped the counter guy at the deli. Whether he got an extra donut or a bigger slice of beef than the label said or a couple of extra ounces of pastrami, I don’t know. I do know the butcher always saved the best bones for us to take home to our dogs.

I have done the same thing as my dad. I was tipping waiters and waitresses 20% well before that was the going rate, and now generally tip 25%. I used to pay $40 for a haircut in Santa Monica and I tipped another $10. In Barcelona, I only pay €14 for a haircut and tip €6.

What is hard for me to adjust to here in Spain is that there is very little tipping. Restaurant workers are better paid here so there generally is minimal tipping. If you pay in cash, the general rule is that you leave any small change for the server, “small” being defined as under €1. If you pay by credit card, the general rule is no tipping. But, I will leave a cash tip for very good service.

We have a favorite gelato place which we frequent regularly. I always tip the server who makes our order. If that means we get a slightly bigger portion, hey ciao bella.

We occasionally take taxis or use a car service here. You can pay by credit card and there isn’t even a place on the machine to leave a tip. Whichever way I pay, I almost always leave a tip in cash, anywhere from 10 to 20%. A lot of times, the drivers don’t expect it. They hand me my change and get ready to drive away before I can hand them the tip.

I agree with those who say never add the tip to the credit card. You want it to go to your server and not be split evenly among the entire staff. Or even worse, have part of it kept by management.

Definitely worth a few extra bucks to tip the concierge well at the start of an extended stay at a hotel, too.
This is absolutely true, and something that can really pay dividends. I used to go to New York a lot on business, and the client (mostly MGM) paid my expenses. I always sought out the concierge on my first day and gave him a nice tip. It would pay off when he could find you great seats for sold-out Broadway plays or get you into restaurants which didn’t have reservations available.

The best thing that ever happened for me in that regard was actually in Barcelona a dozen years ago. I had rented an apartment for two months, but we all had to move out for 4 days because they had to turn the power off to do some upgrades to the system. For whatever reason, they put me in the El Palace Hotel, one of the super luxury hotels here. (It is where the Obama and Spielbergs had dinner with the Springsteen last year when Bruce performed here.)

I gave the Concierge a very nice tip the first day almost out of habit because I wasn’t really expecting to ask him for anything. The third day I was there, he stopped me in the lobby and said one of the guests had ordered two tickets to the Champions League game that evening against PSG and now couldn’t use them. Would I like them gratis? It wasn’t the miracle 6-1 comeback game after they lost the first leg 0-4, but it was a 2-0 victory the prior time they met in the knockout round.

- But I do have an issue tipping 20% or more on really expensive dinners. I'll usually gravitate lower in the 15-18%. Does the woman at the mom and pop diner do less work than the waitress in the expensive restaurant?
Your meal probably takes twice as long at a nice restaurant and the server probably has half as many tables. Also tips are probably shared with the bartenders. There’s more to it than just price of the meal.

This is absolutely true, and something that can really pay dividends. I used to go to New York a lot on business, and the client (mostly MGM) paid my expenses. I always sought out the concierge on my first day and gave him a nice tip. It would pay off when he could find you great seats for sold-out Broadway plays or get you into restaurants which didn’t have reservations available.

The best thing that ever happened for me in that regard was actually in Barcelona a dozen years ago. I had rented an apartment for two months, but we all had to move out for 4 days because they had to turn the power off to do some upgrades to the system. For whatever reason, they put me in the El Palace Hotel, one of the super luxury hotels here. (It is where the Obama and Spielbergs had dinner with the Springsteen last year when Bruce performed here.)

I gave the Concierge a very nice tip the first day almost out of habit because I wasn’t really expecting to ask him for anything. The third day I was there, he stopped me in the lobby and said one of the guests had ordered two tickets to the Champions League game that evening against PSG and now couldn’t use them. Would I like them gratis? It wasn’t the miracle 6-1 comeback game after they lost the first leg 0-4, but it was a 2-0 victory the prior time they met in the knockout round.
So this one time in Buenos Aires...........................

In front of the hotels they had essentially homeless people waiting there for American gringos or other dignitaries to hail a cab and when the cab came they ran out from the curb ahead of us to open the door for us. They were NOT doorman or Cabbies, but just dudes. So I just took whatever change I had in my pocket and gave it to him. To which he looked at it, cursed at me in Spanish and threw it back at me. I just flew in from Sao Paulo, so my cash was in Brazilian money. It was a bit scary and intense then, but hilarious now.

Your meal probably takes twice as long at a nice restaurant and the server probably has half as many tables. Also tips are probably shared with the bartenders. There’s more to it than just price of the meal.

Disagree, and I've worked in restaurants. I'm not comparing to Eat n Park or Applebee's.

Tips in most decent restaurants are shared with hostess, bartenders and bus staff. If I spend $200 on a meal for 4 vs $400 for a meal for 4, there's not much difference from the wait staff perspective.

Wife and I went out for drinks and had some apps as dinner. Some of the bill was during happy hour, total was $63 with tax. Waitress was great and I tipped her $20. She did more than waitresses I've had when spending $200 with another couple.

My buddy sent me this from a food bill at an Italian restaurant in Florida. This is how crazy tipping is getting.
Screenshot-20231226-153658-Facebook.jpg

even non-restaurants are starting to do this. Not big chains, but local shops mostly. I think it used to violate the merchant agreements with the credit card companies but banking reform changed the rules on it.

I'm not comparing to Eat n Park or Applebee's.
You literally said “mom and pop diners”. So I’m not following your rebuttal all the way. I do agree with $400 vs $200 for dinner for 4. Probably not much difference in staffing or effort. But I’m not eating at $100 per plate restaurants that often so I’d probably still tip at or near 20% (which is in line with your original comment of 15-18%).

Reactions: FreeportPanther
This thread reminds me of this.

Interesting thing about that clip is that they mentioned 12% for excellent service. I remember when the standard tip at restaurants was 10% and then 12% for excellent…then 15% was for excellent….then 15% was standard and 18% for excellent…anythings just keep going up. I tip 20% every time now and the is pretty much standard now, but I get plenty of restaurant bills where for the suggested tip’ at the bottom 20% is the smallest amount followed by 22% and 25%. Pretty soon we will be expected to tip the bill.

You literally said “mom and pop diners”. So I’m not following your rebuttal all the way. I do agree with $400 vs $200 for dinner for 4. Probably not much difference in staffing or effort. But I’m not eating at $100 per plate restaurants that often so I’d probably still tip at or near 20% (which is in line with your original comment of 15-18%).

You are correct. I'm confusing myself...

Reactions: MJG-90
Table wait staff, I figure 10% x 2 to get 20% for someone who works well and has a good table side manner, tweek it down a bit if substandard in some way.

My mom did a lot of waitressing as a single parent when I was really young ...

Does anyone tip the maid in a hotel? I always do on vacation, but rarely on business, mainly because I wouldn't get reimbursed for it.

I was in a Home2Suites recently and there was a QR code sticker on the nightstand that customers can use to tip the maid.
Leave extra change and a few bucks when fam stays a few nights.

I think this is most people’s issue now, however. It’s not the tipping at the places where it’s been typical to tip, it’s tipping at all the other places, and always having it in your face every time you pay for something. like you said “go pick up your own takeout“ - I pick up my own take out ALL THE TIME and every single time I’m asked to tip. Either at the restaurant, or on the website ahead of time while I am paying.

I generously tip in sit-down restaurants, bars, my hair cut place, etc. AFTER the service is received, and the amount is usually based on some degree of how good of a job they did.

I do not like feeling pressured to tip when getting take out or before I even receive the service, and have no idea how good or bad said service was.
This is how I feel. I hate the guilt tip pressure these days. Like you say I do not tip before I receive the service. The local pizza place out here where I go for take out always whips the screen around when I pay. I don’t feel guilty for not tipping. I don’t k ow if the pizza is any good yet. For me I am tipping for sit down service and always round up to a whole dollar amount. Makes the credit card bill simpler as well.

I saw a good Op/Ed in the PG this morning about tipping. Simply put, "decent people tip, bad people don't." I don't think it is any more simple than that.

Two excerpts from behind paywall:

Someone signs the credit card receipt at the restaurant and puts a zero in the space for a tip, writing in “I give my money to charity” or “I save my money for Jesus” (those of you with Bibles, see Matthew 25:31-46). Or they give a supposedly principled reason, like “I don’t believe in tipping” or “Your boss should pay you better” or “Tipping lets businesses exploit their workers.”

Or worse, the very worst, the lowest of the low, they scrawl some sneer like “Get a better job.”

Yes, let's start a tip jar for Jesus campaign! Brilliant.

Opening the door to her huge stone mansion, the kind you see in movies or a hyper-wealthy Pittsburgh borough, the woman took the bags of Chinese food she’d ordered, and handed my son a quarter.

He was working to make money for college. A quarter did not help.

Another evening, he took a much smaller order to an apartment “on the wrong side of the tracks,” as people used to say, to a Black family having, the father told him, a treat. He handed my son a lot of money for a tip — for some reason I remember $8 — a quarter or more of the total bill.

I suspect the first situation is people with so much money, they have no concept and think a cookie is a just reward for a job. Or they are so old, they think it is 1950 when they were on the other end. The 2nd situation is folks who appreciate that these people are working this job to live.

I err on the side of over tipping. It pisses me off even getting takeout and picking something up, people don't tip. Unless places tell you they no longer accept tips because they are paying a working wage, then don't. But I would still tip anyways.
Football?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT