ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Bass Guitar Player

Lol I would have assumed you would have jumped more quickly to Geddy's defense. I love Les. He was one of my early influences like Flea (and Geddy) were. Truth is there are some dudes that would eat Les' lunch when it comes to slapping and tapping and all the non-traditional BASS trickery. If you ask a bass player, and you did...theyd say Marcus Miller, Larry Graham, Vic Wooten, maybe Louis Johnson (who likely played on some of your favorite Funk jams), and Mark King would get mentioned before Les.

But I dont value all that trickery outside of digging it once in a while. Give me a more traditional bass player over the flash any day. Fred Thomas from James Brown., Larry Kimpel from Frankie Beverly, Verdine White from Earth, Wind and Fire or Stevie Wonder's left hand for any funk or groove

Give me Sting, Tim Commerford, Chris Squire, Cliff Burton for anything rock
I was going to mention Commerford. Which is another great "best" thread, thought for me. I will start it later.

Most musicians don’t consider the bass guitar as legit and more background but the truly great ones can play lead with the bass. Lots of good entries in this thread

Most musicians don’t consider the bass guitar as legit and more background but the truly great ones can play lead with the bass. Lots of good entries in this thread
That is nonsense. Bass, drums and the piano players left heand are the backbone of a rhythm section. Any musicians who don't consider a bass player as legit are not real musicians.

Scott Devine (Scott's Bass Lessons) gives a shout out to Billy Sheehan in a video that was uploaded yesterday.

Perfect timing.

I thought youd say something like that. Im sorry I never let your band open for us before. Nothing personal. Probably just a numbers thing
You win! I mostly played in bands playing in front of friends at parties. I rarely played when our group was even called a band. The group changed many times over the years but we had fun. BTW I play drums

John Entwistle can rock an acoustic bass harder than most can rock an electric one.

Randy Jackson, played with Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Herbie Hancock, Mariah Carey, and Journey, to name a few

Randy Jackson, played with Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Herbie Hancock, Mariah Carey, and Journey, to name a few
EPA8CfOWkAExXAt.jpg

The Rush haters in here remind me of how college football fans hate on Alabama...the best always get taken down by the fans of lesser bunches

Nobody is hating on them
They are mocking their weirdo fans who are cult like in their devotion
In fairness, most are techie nerds and the concerts were always sausage fests. I did manage to get my wife to become a fan, and she popped on a Rush tune from Counterparts album (when she first became a fan) while we were on a road trip.

I still dont know who it is.
I'm not giving out anybody's name on these boards, but he did provide the band's names that he played bass for.

He's a long time poster on these boards, and has shared his band's info in the past.

A quick internet search should be easy enough with that info.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT