ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Bass Guitar Player

I'm not giving out anybody's name on these boards, but he did provide the band's names that he played bass for.

He's a long time poster on these boards, and has shared his band's info in the past.

A quick internet search should be easy enough with that info.
I don’t doubt him, but I still don’t know the band. Would be better if he was in Rusted Root or the Clarks.

I still dont know who it is.
I am good friends with half of the Clarks. We played many a show with them. They are on a different level of popularity than any other Pittsburgh band. I feel confident in saying my band Shonuff and The Buzz Poets compromised the next tier of popularity after the Clarks. Feel free to youtube. Shonuff Pittsburgh and Formula 412 has videos with 500k views. So I aint shit in the grand scheme...but I got a half way decent name around here

I am good friends with half of the Clarks. We played many a show with them. They are on a different level of popularity than any other Pittsburgh band. I feel confident in saying my band Shonuff and The Buzz Poets compromised the next tier of popularity after the Clarks. Feel free to youtube. Shonuff Pittsburgh and Formula 412 has videos with 500k views. So I aint shit in the grand scheme...but I got a half way decent name around here
Congrats.

You don't have to dispel ignorance. Let folks wallow in what they've earned.

Assuming you know Joffo Simmons?

I’m laughing at your reference to rusted root or the Clarks of local bands you know

at least throw in a Brownie Mary, Yves Jean Band , or Nied’s Hotel Band for some credibility
Hell at least 3 of the members of Anti-Flag qualify as local
You are better than me apparently 🙂

Opened for the Houserockers once at Jam on Walnut. Crossed paths but cant say I know him

Don't know him well either, but an older cousin of mine is good friends with him. When I was young, he used to jam with some dudes that lived on the street behind me. We'd sit outside and listen to the music coming out of the basement they practiced in. We thought it was so cool to have a rock band in the neighborhood. I'm guessing it was early 80s.

You are right. Nothing says ignorance like not knowing someone in a local band.

Your superior social status is clearly established. 🙂
I think that was more directed towards your not knowing anything about local music beyond 2 of the bigger bands in Pittsburgh history than it was about not knowing one person. If you're younger than 30 you have no reason to know anything about local bands since that part of the city disappeared when every bar turned into a dance club 15 years or so ago.

Stanley Clarke has been mentioned a couple times, and The Ox many times.

So I'll say Willie Weeks.

Chris Squire. My favorite of all time. Also seemed like a great guy, wish I could have had a beer with him.

Jack Bruce.

Mike Mills isn't as technical as most on this list but his melodic, lyrical bass lines (especially early on) is part of what made R.E.M. so unique,

You mocked the guy and then picked 2 of the most White Suburbia Pittsburgh bands.....and your ignorance was the disparaging and condescending tone of your interchange with Formula, not your lack of knowledge.....which also was on display, truth be told.
Condescending, I thought he was messing with the guy originally.

But I am white and from suburbia. So you nailed me there. But what is wrong with being white and from surburbia?

And to add to my awful whiteness I am also not as hip as you because I don’t know obscure local bands.

So you can go brag about that now. :)

I am sorry. Apparently I am supposed to acknowledge you are famous.

And just to make up for my apparent slight of you fame, I will say you are super famous.

I hope that demonstrates appropriate contrition and humility for my suburban upbringing and lack of pop culture insight.

I am sorry. Apparently I am supposed to acknowledge you are famous.

And just to make up for my apparent slight of you fame, I will say you are super famous.

I hope that demonstrates appropriate contrition and humility for my suburban upbringing and lack of pop culture insight.
Pop & Culture are mutually exclusive.

I have zero musical talent. However, I have had many clients with a great deal of talent. One of them, Miles Davis, said the best of the “brothers” was Stanley Clarke and the best “white guy” was Charlie Haden. He also said “the Beatle guy” was very, very good.

I had never heard of Haden and bought an album that he had recorded with his small ensemble. Not my style. Less than a year later though, his ex-wife hired me to represent her to contest his attempt to reduce child and spousal support. (They had triplet daughters, one if whom later married Jack Black.)

His effort was not successful and he was ordered to pay me attorneys’ fees in six installments. On the back of each check, where I would have to endorse it, he wrote a less than friendly note.

It was not the first or last time that someone did that. As long as the check didn’t bounce, it never bothered me.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I have zero musical talent. However, I have had many clients with a great deal of talent. One of them, Miles Davis, said the best of the “brothers” was Stanley Clarke and the best “white guy” was Charlie Haden. He also said “the Beatle guy” was very, very good.

I had never heard of Haden and bought an album that he had recorded with his small ensemble. Not my style. Less than a year later though, his ex-wife hired me to represent her to contest his attempt to reduce child and spousal support. (They had triplet daughters, one if whom later married Jack Black.)

His effort was not successful and he was ordered to pay me attorneys’ fees in six installments. On the back of each check, where I would have to endorse it, he wrote a less than friendly note.

It was not the first or last time that someone did that. As long as the check didn’t bounce, it never bothered me.
"The Beatle guy" Love that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT