ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Consecutive Album Releases?

Some that immediatly come to mind for me, and also some of my favorite bands.

Nirvana - Nevermind & In Utero
Metallica - Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets
Sabbath - Paranoid & Master of Reality
Pearl Jam - Ten & Vs.
Take your pick of early Zeppelin albums

Pearl Jam - Ten & Vs.
On this note, I'll also nominate Facelift and Dirt from AIC.

Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
The Yes Album and Fragile - Yes
Days of Future Passed and In Search of the Lost Chord - The Moody Blues
Workingman's Dead and American Beauty - The Grateful Dead
Green River and Willy and the Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Pearl Jam - Ten & Vs.
Chicago 1 and 2. Epic double albums.
Led Zeppelin 1-4. Back to back to back to back greatness.

Reactions: BVGPitt and Ray-Ray
What are the best two albums ever released back to back by a band or artist?

For me, nothing will ever come close to topping Born to Run and Darkness On the Edge of Town. But what are some others?
It's hard not to go with any Beatles pairs starting with Rubber Soul to Abbey Road, rivaled only by Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Lots of other good suggestions on here (love the Nirvana pair).

Here's a few more:

Surfer Rosa - Doolittle by Pixies
Murmur - Reckoning by R.E.M.
1999 - Purple Rain by Prince
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors by Fleetwood Mac
Off the Wall -- Thriller by Michael Jackson
OK Computer - Kid A by Radiohead
To Pimp a Butterfly - Damm by Kendrick Lamar
Highway 61 Revisited - Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan
Fear of Music - Remain in Light by Talking Heads
Black Sabbath - Paranoid by Black Sabbath

Reactions: Tomster6758

For me, nothing will ever come close to topping Born to Run and Darkness On the Edge of Town. But what are some others?

Let me also add that if I'm picking a Bruce pair, as a matter of personal taste I'd go with Nebraska and Born in the USA. But your pair is indeed worthy as well.

Let me also add that if I'm picking a Bruce pair, as a matter of personal taste I'd go with Nebraska and Born in the USA. But your pair is indeed worthy as well.

I've likened Born to Run to Citizen Kane. It's not the album I'm always in the mood for, whereas something like Darkness on the Edge of Town I can throw on at any time and rock out to, but I still recognize it as being (in my opinion) the best of the best. A Side/B Side bookends of Thunder Road, Backstreets, Born to Run, and Jungleland is as good as it gets (again, in my opinion).

Certainly no right or wrong answers when it comes to music, though.

I've likened Born to Run to Citizen Kane. It's not the album I'm always in the mood for, whereas something like Darkness on the Edge of Town I can throw on at any time and rock out to, but I still recognize it as being (in my opinion) the best of the best. A Side/B Side bookends of Thunder Road, Backstreets, Born to Run, and Jungleland is as good as it gets (again, in my opinion).

Certainly no right or wrong answers when it comes to music, though.

I have no problem calling B2R his best. But I think his next two best are Nebraska and Born in the USA. And I'd say there are plenty of RIGHT answers, but certain WRONG answers too.

Reactions: mike412
I have no problem calling B2R his best. But I think his next two best are Nebraska and Born in the USA. And I'd say there there are plenty of RIGHT answers, but certain WRONG answers too.

I have Darkness second. It's probably my favorite, even though I recognize Born to Run as being better, if that makes any sense.

Ironically, most of the stuff on Born in the USA was written for Nebraska. I could make at least one hit album using only the material Bruce left off albums from The River to Born in the USA (Murder Inc, This Hard Land, My Love Will Not Let You Down, Roulette, Loose Ends, Pink Cadillac, Be True, Shut Out the Light, Stand On It, Meet Me In the City Tonight, Take 'Em As They Come, Follow That Dream, I Wanna Be With You, Sugarland, etc., etc., etc). But that's neither here nor there.

I like different music for completely different reasons, which is where my "no wrong answers" thoughts stem from. I love the dry melodies of someone like a Leonard Cohen, but I also love some of the more obnoxious melodies of certain 80's pop songs. And I love the poetic lyrics of someone like a Bob Dylan, but I'm also a huge Stone Temple Pilots fan, and their lyrics are almost completely non-sensical.

Alice In Chains: Dirt to Jar of Flies

The Who: Tommy to Whose Next or Whose Next to Quardrophina.

Stone Temple Pilots: Core to Purple

Black Flag: Damaged to My War

Johnny Cash: Folsom to San Quinten

Misfits: Walk Among Us to Earth AD

Van Halen I to Van Halen II

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Alice In Chains: Dirt to Jar of Flies

The Who: Tommy to Whose Next or Whose Next to Quardrophina.

Stone Temple Pilots: Core to Purple

Black Flag: Damaged to My War

Johnny Cash: Folsom to San Quinten

Misfits: Walk Among Us to Earth AD

Van Halen I to Van Halen II

The Alice in Chains discography is a weird one. I don't get why they released Sap and, especially, Jar of Flies as EPs, instead of just using the material for full albums.

CCR
Green River....Willy and the Poor Boys

Runner-up from 2006, The Wiggles
Here Comes The Big Red Car.....It's Time to Wake Up Jeff!

Reactions: mike412
Tool: Aenima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days.

DMB: Remember Two Things, Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash, Before these Crowded Streets

Kanye: Everything from Late Registration to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Family is awesome.

Smashing Pumpkins Gish and Siamese dreams
Wu-tangs enter 36 chambers and forever

Run the Jewels 3 and 4

Reactions: Ski11585
Gish is also amazing as their debut
Absolutely...but as a corgan apologist I think all of their work is amazing. I mean Atum is 33 songs deep. The sheer amount of creativity in that dude is amazing in my opinion.

I would also throw the first 3 rage albums as brilliant. In fact I would say Rages untitled debut is absolutely fabulous with all killer tracks.

RTG 3 and 4 was a good choice above as well.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic to Katy Lied to The Royal Scam to Aja from 1974-1977
I just saw Steely Dan and the Eagles a few weeks ago. What a great night. Donald Fagan is hanging in there ok. What a catalog of hits Steely Dan had. Of course, the Eagles killed it too. Don Henley sings as well today as he did 50 years ago.

L
Tool: Aenima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days.

DMB: Remember Two Things, Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash, Before these Crowded Streets

Kanye: Everything from Late Registration to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Family is awesome.
I completely agree with the Kanye pair but I’d put DMB in the “wrong answer” category. ;)

Those would be mine as well. But, The Beatles would have two entries in that competition which would be tough to beat: Revolver/Rubber Soul and Rubber Soul/Sergeant Pepper. I don’t consider Magical Mystery Tour at the same level as those three.

L

I completely agree with the Kanye pair but I’d put DMB in the “wrong answer” category. ;)
Yeah...never thought tool would be in the same point as crash into me dude....I never got the DMB appeal. I guess his band is good musicians but his cult following is insane...and good for him. He's made a ton of money making what I would call boring and mediocre music.

L

Hey. Fair enough. I’d argue the Beetles are ineligible because they don’t even have one good album!

Yeah...never thought tool would be in the same point as crash into me dude....I never got the DMB appeal. I guess his band is good musicians but his cult following is insane...and good for him. He's made a ton of money making what I would call boring and mediocre music.

They are fine ... decent ... nice sounding ... and yes, wonderful musicians. Beyond that ...

Reactions: Ski11585
Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic to Katy Lied to The Royal Scam to Aja from 1974-1977
Steely Dan is a good call, although I'd say their best consecutive pair is Countdown to Ecstasy to Pretzel Logic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT