ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Consecutive Album Releases?

Interesting that Stevie Wonder hasn't been mentioned. He had three consecutive albums that won the Grammy for best album three times in four years.
These 2 albums are considered to be Stevie's best, "Songs in the Key of Life" (1976) and "Innervisions" (1973), however they were not consecutive.

In between, Stevie released "Fulfillingness' First Finale" in 1974.

All 3 albums are considered masterpieces.

These 2 albums are considered to be Stevie's best, "Songs in the Key of Life" (1976) and "Innervisions" (1973), however they were not consecutive.

In between, Stevie released "Fulfillingness' First Finale" in 1974.

All 3 albums are considered masterpieces.
I agree that the two best of those were not consecutive. But all three are close enough that someone who is a Stevie Wonder fan may not.

Interesting that Stevie Wonder hasn't been mentioned. He had three consecutive albums that won the Grammy for best album three times in four years.
By rhe way, I'm a huge fan of Stevie's. I like to watch his live concerts on YouTube. He goes off to wherever his brilliant mind takes him that night.

Reactions: JS School
Let me also add that if I'm picking a Bruce pair, as a matter of personal taste I'd go with Nebraska and Born in the USA. But your pair is indeed worthy as well.
Interesting combo. It would be difficult to find 2 more dissimilar albums released back to back, by a major artist, than these 2. One a solo, acoustic, essentially folk album that got very little airplay. The other a full band, mega blockbuster that had 7 top-ten singles.

You had me at Disintegration but Wish was too poppy for me. I’d definitely go with Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss me. There’s not a day that goes by where a couple of those songs don’t find their way to my ears regardless of what platform I’m listening to…even more so than Disintegration songs. And that’s saying something because I think Disintegration is a top 5 album of all time.

I’d also go with REM Out of Time and Automatic For the People.
Wish has a bunch of my all time favorite songs though
Letter to Elise , from the edge of the deep green sea, cut, doing the unstuck
All amazing songs

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Wish has a bunch of my all time favorite songs though
Letter to Elise , from the edge of the deep green sea, cut, doing the unstuck
All amazing songs
I’ll concede a bit.

High was poppy but still sounds like it could be a song written for disintegration but didn’t make the cut at the time. Decent song.

There was certainly some experimentation going on. You mentioned Cut, and that song always struck me as a Ned’s Atomic Dustbin type song…until Smiths vocals cut in and you immediately know it’s not. Lol. Not a great song though for me.

A letter to Elise is classic Cure. Good song.

But Friday I’m in Love is that one The Cure song that forces me to change the channel. I’m usually not one to be bothered by bands doing a song to satisfy a record company or write a song with the intention for top 40 airplay. But this one does.

How about downward spiral followed by the fragile?

I know the broken and fixed EPs fit between those releases but if sticking with albums, downward spiral and the fragile would work...although I do know some consider the fragile bloated with some filler (though I disagree)

Reactions: TheSeldomSeenKid
I’ll concede a bit.

High was poppy but still sounds like it could be a song written for disintegration but didn’t make the cut at the time. Decent song.

There was certainly some experimentation going on. You mentioned Cut, and that song always struck me as a Ned’s Atomic Dustbin type song…until Smiths vocals cut in and you immediately know it’s not. Lol. Not a great song though for me.

A letter to Elise is classic Cure. Good song.

But Friday I’m in Love is that one The Cure song that forces me to change the channel. I’m usually not one to be bothered by bands doing a song to satisfy a record company or write a song with the intention for top 40 airplay. But this one does.
See … I disagree… I think Friday I’m in Love is a perfect pop tune!

The Cure song that makes me change my channel speaking of poppy songs is "Why Can't I be you", Disintegration is my favorite album, well that at Staring at the Beach which is a compilation of their best early stuff.

The Cure song that makes me change my channel speaking of poppy songs is "Why Can't I be you", Disintegration is my favorite album, well that at Staring at the Beach which is a compilation of their best early stuff.
I geeked out during this scene of Ant Man when Disintegration found it’s way into a Marvel movie.

The musicians I know seem to think Bleach is Nirvana's best album, Dave Grohl says that's his favorite Nirvana album. Commercially speaking, it's obvious that Nevermind is in a class of it's own.
They changed their style and were less punk heavy after Bleach. I love Bleach and the style, so I can't really argue replacing In Utero. But, In Utero is more like Bleach than it is Nevermind.

Dave Grohl decided to venture even further away from the punky grunge of Bleach when he formed his own band. So while he might have like the music, he knew what would make him money.

They changed their style and were less punk heavy after Bleach. I love Bleach and the style, so I can't really argue replacing In Utero. But, In Utero is more like Bleach than it is Nevermind.

Dave Grohl decided to venture even further away from the punky grunge of Bleach when he formed his own band. So while he might have like the music, he knew what would make him money.
The ultimate band who did this, venturing away from essentially a Husker Duish hardcore/punk group to a radio friendly content was the Goo Goo Dolls.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
The ultimate band who did this, venturing away from essentially a Husker Duish hardcore/punk group to a radio friendly content was the Goo Goo Dolls.

I wonder if Smash Mouth did that. The dude is (well, I think was) way too tatted up for them to have been making cheeseball Shrek music their entire existence as a band. I'm not curious enough to actually go listen to an early Smash Mouth album, though.

Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
Exile is my all time favorite album, and I also love Sticky Fingers. But I think Beggars Banquet through Exile is the greatest four record stretch ever, and if we have to pick two consecutive I'm not sure I wouldn't pick Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed over Sticky Fingers and Exile.

I think Who's Next and Quadrophenia are far better than Tommy.

Has anyone mentioned Fleetwood Mac and Rumours?

Someone mentioned Carole King. Fun fact Danny Carey did some drumming for her late in her career.
Danny Carey is great. He is the ultimate "dad" drummer for one of the ultimate unfamily friendly groups.

This is awesome......check out the drummer on this teen band playing in some local HS

Love the Van Halen love. Van Halen 1 was one of the most revolutionary albums in rock history. No one had heard a guitar like EVH’s before. But VH2 was ehh…

I bet this is blasphemy to you but I’d go with 5150 and OU812 back to back. And a trifecta with F.U.C.K.
First 4 Van Halen albums
First 4 Van Hagar Albums

• Love
Exile is my all time favorite album, and I also love Sticky Fingers. But I think Beggars Banquet through Exile is the greatest four record stretch ever, and if we have to pick two consecutive I'm not sure I wouldn't pick Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed over Sticky Fingers and Exile.

I think Who's Next and Quadrophenia are far better than Tommy.

Has anyone mentioned Fleetwood Mac and Rumours?
I did! ;)

Reactions: JS School
The musicians I know seem to think Bleach is Nirvana's best album, Dave Grohl says that's his favorite Nirvana album. Commercially speaking, it's obvious that Nevermind is in a class of it's own.

My kid and I debate NIrvana all the time. He's a huge fan of Bleach while I think it's great but flawed.

But we both agree that Nevermind is about as perfect of an album that can be made. Every song is extraordinary and my favorites (after Teen Spirit) are the cuts that weren't singles (Lounge Act, Polly, Breed, Stay Away, Pissings)

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Tool: Aenima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days.

DMB: Remember Two Things, Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash, Before these Crowded Streets

Kanye: Everything from Late Registration to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Family is awesome.
kanye is a disgrace.

Here's a pair or records that have been truly gaining acclaim over time.

Tago Mago then Ege Basmysai by German band Can.

If you aren't familiar, I suggest you check them out.

I'll play...

First 4 Van Morrison Albums

How did I do? ;)
Is it van Morrison who sings with his back to the audience due to nerves? Or maybe Jackson Browne? My favorite artist to that thought was Natalie Merchant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT