ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BRT

44 stops doesnt sound rapid to me. but good to see investment go to public transportation.

remember riding bus from gateway center into oakland and hated it back in late 90s. never minded the T going into city, actually enjoyed it but dang if riding a city bus in pittsburgh doesnt make you feel like you made some really bad choices in life..

Reactions: Pitt1975
44 stops doesnt sound rapid to me. but good to see investment go to public transportation.

remember riding bus from gateway center into oakland and hated it back in late 90s. never minded the T going into city, actually enjoyed it but dang if riding a city bus in pittsburgh doesnt make you feel like you made some really bad choices in life..
I also like to see investment in public transportation but, as someone who rides the bus to and from Oakland somewhat frequently, this strikes me as an inconsequential upgrade. I would have much preferred an expansion of the T to serve Oakland. I would really like to see a leader make a hard push to get the T to the airport and to Oakland, but I know the numbers are daunting.

I also like to see investment in public transportation but, as someone who rides the bus to and from Oakland somewhat frequently, this strikes me as an inconsequential upgrade. I would have much preferred an expansion of the T to serve Oakland. I would really like to see a leader make a hard push to get the T to the airport and to Oakland, but I know the numbers are daunting.
an expansion would have been fantastic and i think was studied. remember an article in post gazette a few years back on this topic and they were talking about going underground at times under 5th and somehow looping it around hazelwood.

think the projected cost was north of 2B. even getting a T line extended north of city into wexford was projected over 1 billion.. no clue why or how it gets into the billions but a great idea if we had the money..

an expansion would have been fantastic and i think was studied. remember an article in post gazette a few years back on this topic and they were talking about going underground at times under 5th and somehow looping it around hazelwood.

think the projected cost was north of 2B. even getting a T line extended north of city into wexford was projected over 1 billion.. no clue why or how it gets into the billions but a great idea if we had the money..
I remember hearing a cost figure around that number, too. The loop to Hazelwood isn't all that necessary in my eyes, but I would like for someone to show me a better stretch of roadway in all of America more deserving of an underground subway than 5th Ave in Oakland between Craft and Bellefield, that doesn't already have one. How many people have to die from getting hit by buses before someone in leadership thinks "gee, what a great idea it would be to put public transportation along this road underground!"

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I remember hearing a cost figure around that number, too. The loop to Hazelwood isn't all that necessary in my eyes, but I would like for someone to show me a better stretch of roadway in all of America more deserving of an underground subway than 5th Ave in Oakland between Craft and Bellefield. How many people have to die from getting hit by buses before someone in leadership thinks "gee, what a great idea it would be to put public transportation along this road underground!"
agree and tell upmc to foot the bill. they want to build yet another monstrosity on forbes in middle of oakland and have numerous outpatient and office buildings in oakland, they need to get the bill.

They should call it the 'slightly faster than before' transit system.
What Pittsburgh needed to do was spend a couple billion dollars, with part of that from federal and state funds, to build a t extension through Oakland. Instead, they spent close to a billion for a t extension to the Steelers' front door, because that's what the Rooneys wanted. Pittsburgh could have been in a much better position for growth.

Idiots.

Last edited:
This is already underway with the infrastructure. Duquesne Light has new lines being run up Fifth and Forbes. My company is running brand new water lines down both under the BRT contract name.

I think 44 stops is the all of the proposed lines and routes?
Oakland to town 'half the time' as now...
I think UPMC donated property for and Oakland station?

They should call it the 'slightly faster than before' transit system.
What Pittsburgh needed to do was spend a couple billion dollars, with part of that from federal and state funds, to build a t extension through Oakland. Instead, they spent close to a billion for a t extension to the Steelers' front door, because that's what the Rooneys wanted. Pittsburgh could have been in a much better position for growth.

Idiots.
It would be worth the investment to spend to develop an expansive light rail system. Public transportation is such an asset to a city. I always found this concept an interesting take on what the T could look like.

I think 44 stops is the all of the proposed lines and routes?
I think UPMC donated property for and Oakland station?
It is. The 44 stops span everywhere from downtown, uptown, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Greenfield, Shadyside, East Liberty/Friendship, and Highland Park. They’re eliminating a bunch of stops and significantly improving the remaining ones. If you’ve been in Oakland lately and have seen the new bus station outside of Presby on Fifth, they’ll all look pretty close to that.

Believe that when you see it.

When they did the first public meetings on this touting all the time savings some old guy at the meeting stood up and asked why they considered such small time savings to be such a big deal. Why what do you mean, it's going to get you into town or to Oakland so much faster. So the guy pulls out a copy of the then current schedule table and points out that according to the published numbers they would save something like one or two minutes during rush hour and three minutes off peak.

Not surprisingly, shortly thereafter they changed the tables in the proposed plan to reduce the trip times. Note, they didn't actually change anything about the plan (at that time, although they have since). They just changed their time estimates to make it seem like it would save a lot more time than they originally stated.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
It would be worth the investment to spend to develop an expansive light rail system. Public transportation is such an asset to a city. I always found this concept an interesting take on what the T could look like.

Unfortunately, decisions don't get made based on what is best for the city and people. Decisions get made based on what is best for certain individuals (i.e. Dan and Art).

Unfortunately, decisions don't get made based on what is best for the city and people. Decisions get made based on what is best for certain individuals (i.e. Dan and Art).
Nonsense. These projects go through levels of planning with professional transportation and economic development people, and public input. To think that the Rooney’s have some special ability to determine the outcomes is just engaging in a conspiracy theory.

When they did the first public meetings on this touting all the time savings some old guy at the meeting stood up and asked why they considered such small time savings to be such a big deal. Why what do you mean, it's going to get you into town or to Oakland so much faster. So the guy pulls out a copy of the then current schedule table and points out that according to the published numbers they would save something like one or two minutes during rush hour and three minutes off peak.

Not surprisingly, shortly thereafter they changed the tables in the proposed plan to reduce the trip times. Note, they didn't actually change anything about the plan (at that time, although they have since). They just changed their time estimates to make it seem like it would save a lot more time than they originally stated.
People focus on time savings, but more important is reliability. Riders need to depend on buses to be on time, and this project will make that more of a reality. It is not perfect, but given the funding constraints, it is likely as good as any other option for this corridor.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

I don’t know how much of it is a sheer time savings, versus eliminating as many of the “slowdown” points as possible that can cause things to jam up and run behind schedule. So things like dedicated lanes, special traffic signals that give buses the right of way, fewer stations with more amenities to get people on and off faster, all might help decrease trip times...but the real benefit is keeping things more predictable and on schedule.

It’s not like the T is particularly fast - but its advantage and benefit is the fact that it tends to move pretty smoothly because it has its own right of way and doesn’t usually get caught up in traffic. The BRT is trying to replicate that. The East Busway is the fastest way in and out of town (faster than the T), so it isn’t as though buses are necessarily slower.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Guys, the point is the city of pittsburgh just spent a quarter billion dollars on something falsely mislabeled a a rapid transit system that is nothing more then an existing bus line with nicer stations.

That’s it. A few less stops, more frequent busses and a nicer station. With new paint. This is not a new system, it’s a bus line with better service

Nonsense. These projects go through levels of planning with professional transportation and economic development people, and public input. To think that the Rooney’s have some special ability to determine the outcomes is just engaging in a conspiracy theory.

Certainly no conspiracy theory here. By the time many of these things get to the "public input" phase, the deal has likely already been made and they just pretend to listen. The reason we are getting BRT is because there is no T extension through Oakland, which previously went through years (decades?) of study. The Northside extension was also killed, but the Rooney's wanted it for the stadium plan, and so it happened. The politicians lied and said it was for the NorthSIDE, but as soon as they got things rolling, the NorthSIDE part was removed from the plan and the T extension's final stop was.... of course Heinz Field. I wish these decisions were made based on the people's needs. But in reality it happened in a back room deal with the Rooney's and their cronys.

Guys, the point is the city of pittsburgh just spent a quarter billion dollars on something falsely mislabeled a a rapid transit system that is nothing more then an existing bus line with nicer stations.

That’s it. A few less stops, more frequent busses and a nicer station. With new paint. This is not a new system, it’s a bus line with better service
Correct. But don't let the cat out of the bag. It's the bestest thing evar.

This is pretty common in America, now. Here in Atlanta, MARTA stops at Sandy Springs but there's a right-of-way that could very easily have extended it all the way up Fulton County, through Roswell and Alpharetta. That would have made a rush-hour trip to the airport something like 45 minutes instead of 75-90 mins (or more). Voters rejected the rail expansion and went with BRT instead. So now Fulton County is also spending north of $2 billion for dedicated bus lanes that will be built above Route 400 and will just dump everyone at the Sandy Springs MARTA station anyway, where they'll have to transfer to rail or local bus service.

It makes no sense. No one is ever going to ride the bus. But we're such a car-centric and anti-public transportation society in general that we keep building crap like BRT that no one wants, even though it's very expensive, because we can do that without a 1 penny sales tax increase. Foolish.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
They should just spend the several billion to tunnel under Fifth Avenue in Oakland. It would drastically reduce traffic by eliminating all of those red lights and would give Pitt a ton of green space. It would also prevent the twice/decade Pitt student death by wrong way bus lane.

They should just spend the several billion to tunnel under Fifth Avenue in Oakland. It would drastically reduce traffic by eliminating all of those red lights and would give Pitt a ton of green space. It would also prevent the twice/decade Pitt student death by wrong way bus lane.
maybe they could use underground boats?
images

Sure, just like the "voting" on taxpayer funded stadiums for the Steelers and Pirates.

I don’t know how much of it is a sheer time savings, versus eliminating as many of the “slowdown” points as possible that can cause things to jam up and run behind schedule. So things like dedicated lanes, special traffic signals that give buses the right of way, fewer stations with more amenities to get people on and off faster, all might help decrease trip times...but the real benefit is keeping things more predictable and on schedule.

It’s not like the T is particularly fast - but its advantage and benefit is the fact that it tends to move pretty smoothly because it has its own right of way and doesn’t usually get caught up in traffic. The BRT is trying to replicate that. The East Busway is the fastest way in and out of town (faster than the T), so it isn’t as though buses are necessarily slower.
What are the slowdown points between downtown and Oakland? Is it coming inbound down Fifth during Penguin games or something like that? I somewhat regularly ride the bus to get to and from Oakland, although not all the time, so it's very possible I just haven't experienced it, but it seems like the trip is already pretty reliable ... much more reliable than many other PAT bus routes I've taken.

What are the slowdown points between downtown and Oakland? Is it coming inbound down Fifth during Penguin games or something like that? I somewhat regularly ride the bus to get to and from Oakland, although not all the time, so it's very possible I just haven't experienced it, but it seems like the trip is already pretty reliable ... much more reliable than many other PAT bus routes I've taken.
I remember it being like a 10 minute bus ride but that was 30 years ago.

Driving in and out of Oakland will just get worse. Dedicated bus lanes taking lanes that cars need. How does reducing a few min travel time between Oakland and Pittsburgh do anything to reduce congestion in and out of Oakland?

I think this will happen someday. Not in our lifetimes (and probably not in the next 100 years) but eventually.

agree and tell upmc to foot the bill. they want to build yet another monstrosity on forbes in middle of oakland and have numerous outpatient and office buildings in oakland, they need to get the bill.
Lol
They don’t pay any taxes - nor will they in any conceivable future -
Don’t hold your breath

This is pretty common in America, now. Here in Atlanta, MARTA stops at Sandy Springs but there's a right-of-way that could very easily have extended it all the way up Fulton County, through Roswell and Alpharetta. That would have made a rush-hour trip to the airport something like 45 minutes instead of 75-90 mins (or more). Voters rejected the rail expansion and went with BRT instead. So now Fulton County is also spending north of $2 billion for dedicated bus lanes that will be built above Route 400 and will just dump everyone at the Sandy Springs MARTA station anyway, where they'll have to transfer to rail or local bus service.

It makes no sense. No one is ever going to ride the bus. But we're such a car-centric and anti-public transportation society in general that we keep building crap like BRT that no one wants, even though it's very expensive, because we can do that without a 1 penny sales tax increase. Foolish.
Plenty ride buses and public transportation -
Even if you think it’s beneath you

Plenty ride buses and public transportation -
Even if you think it’s beneath you

Lol don't come at me with that. I'm the only person that I know who rides MARTA. Even my black friends refuse to. I took the T into Pittsburgh every day when I lived there. Every time I go abroad I take rail, even when there are huge language and social barriers (like my wife who prefers cars).

I do it because I believe in public transportation and ridership/advocacy is the only way we'll ever have options besides cars. I'm not poo-pooing buses, I'm merely stating that decades of evidence have made clear that Americans don't like buses compared to other public options and especially not compared to private transportation.

Lol don't come at me with that. I'm the only person that I know who rides MARTA. Even my black friends refuse to. I took the T into Pittsburgh every day when I lived there. Every time I go abroad I take rail, even when there are huge language and social barriers (like my wife who prefers cars).

I do it because I believe in public transportation and ridership/advocacy is the only way we'll ever have options besides cars. I'm not poo-pooing buses, I'm merely stating that decades of evidence have made clear that Americans don't like buses compared to other public options and especially not compared to private transportation.
public busses are awful, awful, horrid experiences. i've ridden T a zillion times and actually like it (i always lived in south hills so was always close to a stop) but bus lines are beyond depessing. the few times i've had to endure riding a bus in pittsburgh, it truly made me question what im doing on this earth..

not sure if its just pittsburgh. the metro in DC (train) was fine, rode that damn free bus up and down 16th street mall in Denver many times and that was fine. maybe it's just pittsburgh busses. Thats why i'd like to see the T line go north and east especially. i feel bad for anyone east of pittsburgh that has to rely on bussing solely. it's my south hills privilege i guess.

public busses are awful, awful, horrid experiences. i've ridden T a zillion times and actually like it (i always lived in south hills so was always close to a stop) but bus lines are beyond depessing. the few times i've had to endure riding a bus in pittsburgh, it truly made me question what im doing on this earth..

not sure if its just pittsburgh. the metro in DC (train) was fine, rode that damn free bus up and down 16th street mall in Denver many times and that was fine. maybe it's just pittsburgh busses. Thats why i'd like to see the T line go north and east especially. i feel bad for anyone east of pittsburgh that has to rely on bussing solely. it's my south hills privilege i guess.

When I lived in Pgh, I would ride the bus often to work downtown from Greenfield, and we always got the worst busses. Several times I ended up with grease stains in my pants. Or I'd say 15-20% the bus was either very late or simply never came. It was quite amazing how poorly the service seemed to be run. Then they switched over to the automatic tracking and I'd say a good 1/3 of the time the driver was too lazy to turn it in, or the bus didn't have it installed.

Then I'd travel to a city that had a decent rail system and it just pissed me off. Or I'd ride the bus to the North Hills and it was usually super nice, and that just pissed me off even more.

I think that the crappy transportation system in Pgh is one of the biggest factors holding it back from growth. And like Pitt not having a stadium in Oakland, there isn't much that can be done now. The past leadership has done great harm in both cases.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT