ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Buc-ee's "convenience" store

OH Pete

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Anyone been to a Buc-ee's?

I made the mistake on my way home from Destin FL over the weekend. Total cluster-F. Total redneck Disneyland. :)

First, the line to get into the parking lot extended halfway down the exit ramp of the highway.

The line for a gas pump was terrible. Had to wait through a several cars while others tried to cut in or totally blocked cars that were finished pumping from leaving.

Total idiots pumping gas, leaving their cars at the pump and going shopping despite a line of people waiting to get gas.

A line for the bathroom. My wife had to wait in a line that made the line at old Pitt Stadium look short. I'm not kidding. It was at least 50 women deep.

People just waddling through the store taking videos and pictures like they are visiting the Lourve.

Others pushing and shoving to get sandwiches out of the sandwich case.

Rude people in the parking lot refusing to take turns at 4 way stops.

I was so entertained by the people and angered at the same time. I'd love to watch a webcam feed of the parking lot, gas pumps and inside the store. One of the greatest people watching events of my lifetime. :)

The gas was super cheap (under $3 per gallon of regular, $3.16 for premium), the sandwiches were really good. The bathroom was super clean. And the beaver nuggets were the perfect sugar jolt to keep me alert for the horrible Nashville traffic that was ahead of me.

Overall, I'd totally go back, but not in the middle of the day during a busy travel weekend. Maybe at 3am on a Tuesday or something.

I made the mistake on my way home from Destin FL over the weekend. Total cluster-F. Total redneck Disneyland. :)

First, the line to get into the parking lot extended halfway down the exit ramp of the highway.

The line for a gas pump was terrible. Had to wait through a several cars while others tried to cut in or totally blocked cars that were finished pumping from leaving.

Total idiots pumping gas, leaving their cars at the pump and going shopping despite a line of people waiting to get gas.

A line for the bathroom. My wife had to wait in a line that made the line at old Pitt Stadium look short. I'm not kidding. It was at least 50 women deep.

People just waddling through the store taking videos and pictures like they are visiting the Lourve.

I was so entertained by the people and angered at the same time. I'd love to watch a webcam feed of the parking lot, gas pumps and inside the store. One of the greatest people watching events of my lifetime. :)

The gas was super cheap (under $3 per gallon of regular, $3.16 for premium), the sandwiches were really good. The bathroom was super clean. And the beaver nuggets were the perfect sugar jolt to keep me alert for the horrible Nashville traffic that was ahead of me.

Overall, I'd totally go back, but not in the middle of the day during a busy travel weekend. Maybe at 3am on a Tuesday or something.
I've been to Buc-ees because they are many of them in the Houston/Texas area. There happens to be a small Buc-ees right across the street from my subdivision...they are LENGENDARY!! People make treks to Buc-ees just to hang out.

Reactions: PearlandLion
I think the question is, does one feel safe at Buc-ees?

We went to the one just south of Jacksonville, Florida. The crowds in the place and even getting out were unbelievable. Definitely not somewhere we will return.

But everyone should get to one once.

I think the question is, does one feel safe at Buc-ees?
I felt safe in the store. Not so much in the parking lot. Crazy driving. People buzzing around without any concern for anyone else.

We always stopped at them when we lived in Texas. Food is fine. Restrooms are super clean. Yes, they get crowded and the crowd can be how you describe.

How was Destin? Redtide?
We just returned from Cocoa Beach, never been to Destin but really would love to check it out.

Been to a few down here in Texas. They have the nicest/cleanest bathrooms on the highway, that's the reason I go to them on road trips. Their jerky and some other snacks and BBQ aren't too bad either. They can and often do get crowded.

I've been to Buc-ees because they are many of them in the Houston/Texas area. There happens to be a small Buc-ees right across the street from my subdivision...they are LENGENDARY!! People make treks to Buc-ees just to hang out.
I believe it. There was a woman yelling at the mascot Bucee Beaver as he was going for his break that he had to stop and take a picture with her because she was from Texas.

Reactions: 303vND
How was Destin? Redtide?
We just returned from Cocoa Beach, never been to Destin but really would love to check it out.
It was great. No red tide & no seaweed at all. Beaches are beautiful. The weather patterns caused the water to be a little rough, so there were Atlantic coast type of waves most days. 1 day had a double red flag rip tide warning though, so we weren't able to go in the water at all. Also, a little cold. Highs were around 72 to 78 most days. But it didn't bother us as we were there for HS baseball.

Other than the distance, Destin is an awesome place.

Reactions: Harlo4PITT
Their cookies (chocolate chip plus others) are great!

Definitely a little crazy though with regards to the gas wait lines.

Reactions: Saboteur II
I'll take redneck Disney over the real one any day.

You should read Joe Queenan's book Red Lobster, White Trash, and the Blue Lagoon--a treatise on all things pedestrian. His glossary in it refers to Branson, MO as a "cultural penal colony." Pretty funny stuff.

A NY Times elitist decides to travel the country to explore the common man's America. He's loathsome but quite hilarious. I do this (visit truck stops and small America) myself whenever I drive back from Vegas to PA in the summer to avoid issues with taking my dog. Vegas airport won't ship dogs in summer. The heat kills them.

Last edited:

I have and love it for the food, entertainment value and last minute gifts if needed.
If you lack a sense of humor, it ain’t your place.

• Haha
Reactions: pittmeister
How was Destin? Redtide?

Destin - Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Seacrest, whatever - is the GOAT beach in America. The water is bathtub warm. Huge beaches. Houses are still affordable-ish (about $2 million for 3,000 square feet and a short walk to the beach). And you can be in the water pretty easily from March - September.

Destin - Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Seacrest, whatever - is the GOAT beach in America. The water is bathtub warm. Huge beaches. Houses are still affordable-ish (about $2 million for 3,000 square feet and a short walk to the beach). And you can be in the water pretty easily from March - September.

30A is a beautiful place to vacation

US 98 however, is inbound on the parkway west

For miles.......

My good friend was transferred recently from Pittsburgh to Houston, and we've visited twice. Good food and snacks, and immaculately clean and bright. It was busy, but we never encountered any mob scenes. There's a populist appeal, especially on the merchandising side, but it does a great job of meeting travel needs and standing out from the crowd.

My good friend was transferred recently from Pittsburgh to Houston, and we've visited twice. Good food and snacks, and immaculately clean and bright. It was busy, but we never encountered any mob scenes. There's a populist appeal, especially on the merchandising side, but it does a great job of meeting travel needs and standing out from the crowd.
Did you go to the Buc-ees in Huntsville? It’s more crowded than a shopping mall on Christmas Eve…. For those who don’t know, Huntsville is where they execute prisoners in Texas… I read somewhere where someone requested as part of their last meal a Buc-ees barbecue sandwich…..

Pipe down, you want the word getting out????

We were in Seacrest for four years, down in Seagrove for two, and then back down to Carillon just on the other side of Inlet Beach for four more. It’s literally heaven on earth.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Did you go to the Buc-ees in Huntsville? It’s more crowded than a shopping mall on Christmas Eve…. For those who don’t know, Huntsville is where they execute prisoners in Texas… I read somewhere where someone requested as part of their last meal a Buc-ees barbecue sandwich…..
It was in Athens Alabama, which is close to Huntsville Alabama.

Going
Seems like a somewhat cumbersome location to get to so maybe that's why it's remained a secret. Going to try to get there this August.

We were in Seacrest for four years, down in Seagrove for two, and then back down to Carillon just on the other side of Inlet Beach for four more. It’s literally heaven on earth.
Now u guys have me excited to check out it even more. I'll keep it to myself (excluding family of course), promise.

Reactions: LVNVPanther
I’ll say this, Buck-ees has the cleanest public restrooms in America… The only problem is holding it long enough to get inside….
You would have to beat sheets out around here for the cleanest bathrooms. That is what they clammed for years but personally I don’t think anymore

I had never heard of them before this thread.

After looking it up, I have to wonder if their mascot is related to Busy Beaver’s?

Going
Seems like a somewhat cumbersome location to get to so maybe that's why it's remained a secret. Going to try to get there this August.

Yeah it's a bit insulated. 6 hours from the money in Atlanta and they have other options like HHI and St. Simon's. Really hard to get to - probably fly to ATL and then puddle jump to Destin or drive 15+ hours from Chicago or DC/North - from any other huge city.

I've been looking at houses but interest rates and young kids will probably put it off a few more years.

Well you have to deal with the people of NW Florida, which isn't ideal, but yeah other than that it's basically perfect. I've been going there for many years.

Peachins was clean. At least in a back woods of Fayette County kind of way.
Are we talking about the original Pechins down in Dunbar proper, or the one that they moved to, up in the old Laurel Mall? I remember the cafeteria in the old one. You could eat like a pig for $1.50, back in the late 70's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT