ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Buying booze at Giant Eagle

Nah, it was part of what the grocery stores had to agree to in order to sell booze here.

Those store level workers have been told they are dead meat if they don't run your ID, cause corporate will rain heal on them if they lose their liscense.
I shouldn't whinge. Service in the US is way better than in NZ. It's not even close.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I love it that pharmacies sell alcohol and cigarettes.
What a country!
we need to get with the times and do what mexico does and have teenagers outside, luring the tourists inside to buy prescription pills. I saw this in Tijuana and thought how progressive their pharmaceutical industry is compared to ours.

Nah, it was part of what the grocery stores had to agree to in order to sell booze here.

Those store level workers have been told they are dead meat if they don't run your ID, cause corporate will rain heal on them if they lose their liscense.
Can the register even ring up an alcohol sale without the ID scan?

This thread jarred a memory (or perhaps something from a dream).

I originally lived in the burbs of Youngstown OH as a kid in the 70s before permanently moving back to PA in the 80s … I was pretty young, but old enough to think I recall this… department and grocery stores in Ohio could sell alcohol…but by law the products sold there had to have reduced (but not zero) alcohol content. To get real stuff, you had to go to liquor-only stores or distributors. Does anyone else who might have lived there and has a few years on them, recall this? It seems crazy in retrospect, I can’t imagine either the stores or the manufacturers going for this, but I swear I recall this.

Can the register even ring up an alcohol sale without the ID scan?
All the grocery stores I have been to in PA that sell booze, they have a specific register for it, and if they are really following things to the T can't ring anything else up or let you roll through the store with it.

I would not be surprised if what you ask was the case.

Update: Same Giant Eagle. Went in with my sister and said "Watch this". Young gentleman at the checkout looked at my license puzzled, then his eyes popped open and he said "I know what to do. I enter your birthdate into the system". So he did and there was no drama. It seemed like they did staff training on out of state/non-US IDs. I was quite impressed. I did have my passport in my pocket just in case. I was very impressed.

When I left the US 11+ years ago, you really couldn't buy beer in grocery stores in PA. Just came back from the Giant Eagle, and there is a bar with happy hour and bingo inside the store. That just blew my mind. What a country!

I did encounter difficulty buying a bottle of wine. 100% ID. Really no problem. I'm 54. Clerk wants to scan my ID. They wouldn't accept my NZ driver license. Said I needed to get a PA driver license. I'm like "Wut?" They got the manager who asked me if I had my passport. I replied "Really? Do you take your passport to the grocery store?" I won the war of attrition, and they gave up and let me buy the wine. I thought that was really odd. Drinking age in NZ is 18, so they really hardly card anybody ever.

I get following the rules and procedures. Maybe they're tightening up on things so West Virginians can't buy booze for the game. Perhaps that is a good thing!
Rarely get stuff at grocery store, usually it’s if the wife wants her blue moon mango. They get mad at me when I use my concealed carry permit card because they have to type it in and can’t just scan it like the DL
im 61 , they don’t even card most people at the liquor store , I’m a bourbon guy.

Im in central pa, so ours is Giant. Lol

Reactions: USN_Panther
When I left the US 11+ years ago, you really couldn't buy beer in grocery stores in PA. Just came back from the Giant Eagle, and there is a bar with happy hour and bingo inside the store. That just blew my mind. What a country!

I did encounter difficulty buying a bottle of wine. 100% ID. Really no problem. I'm 54. Clerk wants to scan my ID. They wouldn't accept my NZ driver license. Said I needed to get a PA driver license. I'm like "Wut?" They got the manager who asked me if I had my passport. I replied "Really? Do you take your passport to the grocery store?" I won the war of attrition, and they gave up and let me buy the wine. I thought that was really odd. Drinking age in NZ is 18, so they really hardly card anybody ever.

I get following the rules and procedures. Maybe they're tightening up on things so West Virginians can't buy booze for the game. Perhaps that is a good thing!
Wow. You stood up to giant eagle and won. That’s impressive. I don’t know anyone who’s won that battle.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I originally lived in the burbs of Youngstown OH as a kid in the 70s before permanently moving back to PA in the 80s … I was pretty young, but old enough to think I recall this… department and grocery stores in Ohio could sell alcohol…but by law the products sold there had to have reduced (but not zero) alcohol content.
Yep, 3.2 beer, I think the legal age to buy it was 19 at the time. If I recall, go to "The Belmont" in Niles for hotdogs, then stop and get 3.2 beer, back to PA

Wow. You stood up to giant eagle and won. That’s impressive. I don’t know anyone who’s won that battle.
Haha. Actually I was pretty impressed with their customer service. And this is true every where I've been.
I got my Hitchhiker beers and they got my money. How it's supposed to be!
I'll hit up @upitt98 at Colonial this week now that we're mobile and no longer on foot.

Depends on the wine. Screw caps are better for wines that you want sealed. Cork will breath over time and is better for bolder wines you want to age. People immediately think screw top means bad or cheap, which isn't necessarily the case.

Now back to Giant Eagle. Can't stand their Nazi stance on having your license. Happened to me a few times when grocery shopping and wander over to check out their craft selection. Go to by a 4 or six pack and don't have my license.
Unfortunately, the cashier may have strict orders to follow, and to do otherwise might cause them to lose their job. In the situation that was described, the supervisor (fortunately) handled the situation correctly.

Similar but different: we were in a bar in South Bend for the Pitt - Notre Dame game about 12 or so years ago.

After the game, a bunch of us went to an on-campus bar, where they were carding at the door. My wife had left all forms of ID in our car, figuring that she had no need for it.

As she had no proof of age, they wouldn’t let her in - even though she was over 50 at the time. We politely asked to see the manager; he took a quick look at us and waved us in.

I understand the need for rules, but sometimes common sense has to prevail.

Rarely get stuff at grocery store, usually it’s if the wife wants her blue moon mango. They get mad at me when I use my concealed carry permit card because they have to type it in and can’t just scan it like the DL
im 61 , they don’t even card most people at the liquor store , I’m a bourbon guy.

Im in central pa, so ours is Giant. Lol
Why not just use your drivers license instead of being a jag?

Unfortunately, the cashier may have strict orders to follow, and to do otherwise might cause them to lose their job. In the situation that was described, the supervisor (fortunately) handled the situation correctly.

Similar but different: we were in a bar in South Bend for the Pitt - Notre Dame game about 12 or so years ago.

After the game, a bunch of us went to an on-campus bar, where they were carding at the door. My wife had left all forms of ID in our car, figuring that she had no need for it.

As she had no proof of age, they wouldn’t let her in - even though she was over 50 at the time. We politely asked to see the manager; he took a quick look at us and waved us in.

I understand the need for rules, but sometimes common sense has to prevail.
Yeah I think in Giant Eagle's case, it is just policy. Every sale they have a record that they checked ID. Keeps them out of trouble.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead

The 'They got the manager' portion of the encounter should have been followed with 'who pulled his own id out and scanned it while uttering something about damn stupid politicians with nothing better to do than come up with nonsensical laws'

Does anyone actually know the reasoning behind this requirement?

Last edited:
Because its idiotic that buying a 6 pack of beer by a 60 year old requires that I "ID" myself while one door down I can buy a bottle of bourbon without it. They want proof of age, I am providing that, jag.
Why not just use your drivers license instead of being a jag?... ya do as you are told! Some real Patrick Hernys amongst the young American set nowadays...Odd, many of the same are appalled if it is brought up as a voting requirement.

Unfortunately, one has to be a jag with the worker bees stuck with this situation as that is the only way enough of them get pissed off enough to get the real jags in Harrisburg who come up with this silliness to cease and desist.

Probably never occurred to any of you that they scan your ID so they have proof they did so in order to absolve their liability.
unlike the beer distributor or liquor store who never feel the need to do so for people who look older than dirt ? Odd that Kroger in Michigan or Acme (or Carlisle PA based Giant) in New Jersey do not fear the same liability repercussions..

Reactions: CentPaPittFan
The 'They got the manager' portion of the encounter should have been followed with 'who pulled his own id out and scanned it while uttering something about damn stupid politicians with nothing better to do than come up with nonsensical laws'

Does anyone actually know the reasoning behind this requirement?
Giant Eagle wanting an ID for all alcohol sales has nothing to do with politicians, they don't want to get hit with massive lawsuits if someone underage acquires booze at Giant Iggle and hurts or kills someone drunk driving, that's why the ID scan is built into the check out system.

unlike the beer distributor or liquor store who never feel the need to do so for people who look older than dirt ? Odd that Kroger in Michigan or Acme (or Carlisle PA based Giant) in New Jersey do not fear the same liability repercussions..
Kroger, Meijer, CVS and other big chains in Michigan require an ID scan when purchasing alcohol.

Giant Eagle wanting an ID for all alcohol sales has nothing to do with politicians, they don't want to get hit with massive lawsuits if someone underage acquires booze at Giant Iggle and hurts or kills someone drunk driving, that's why the ID scan is built into the check out system.
its not just Giant Eagle..Go to grocery chains out of PA, no ID requirement for 80 year old Golden Girls...

its not just Giant Eagle..Go to grocery chains out of PA, no ID requirement for 80 year old Golden Girls...
See my above post, I'm in Michigan and all of the chain stores require an ID scan to buy alcohol, even Total Wine and More which are massive beer, wine and liquor stores.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT