ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Buying booze at Giant Eagle

is getting ID'd that big of a deal? The only time i really hated getting ID'd was when i was under age with no fake id, trying to buy beer.

Reactions: pittdan77
Why not just use your drivers license instead of being a jag?... ya do as you are told! Some real Patrick Hernys amongst the young American set nowadays...Odd, many of the same are appalled if it is brought up as a voting requirement.

Unfortunately, one has to be a jag with the worker bees stuck with this situation as that is the only way enough of them get pissed off enough to get the real jags in Harrisburg who come up with this silliness to cease and desist.
Or shop somewhere else ?
Who’s been the majority party in Harrisburg for 2 decades ?

buddy -
You aren’t a hero - you’re an asshole to a service worker .

Reactions: jtownknowitall
Giant Eagle wanting an ID for all alcohol sales has nothing to do with politicians, they don't want to get hit with massive lawsuits if someone underage acquires booze at Giant Iggle and hurts or kills someone drunk driving, that's why the ID scan is built into the check out system.
If they sell booze to someone underage they will be liable whether they scanned a 70 year olds ID or not. I would hope the legal system would be discerning enough to require proof that an underage person bought alcohol at a particular place if they were to be held liable. Whether they record my details or not has nothing to do with where some 19 year old bought booze, right?
My points were simply that I was surprised that puritanical PA was selling alcohol in the grocery store (and a bar in there to boot) and that they appeared to have no plans for ID other than a PA drivers license.
My apologies for starting the thread. I should have known better.

I wouldn't want to have my driver license scanned every time I bought alcohol.

I would just buy it somewhere else, and move on.
i but a lot of beer and i go to a distributor, im telling you folks, it's not that hard and a whole hell of a lot cheaper. and no scanning of the ID..

when i go to giant eagle, the last thing i think of is buying beer or wine.

If they sell booze to someone underage they will be liable whether they scanned a 70 year olds ID or not. I would hope the legal system would be discerning enough to require proof that an underage person bought alcohol at a particular place if they were to be held liable. Whether they record my details or not has nothing to do with where some 19 year old bought booze, right?
My points were simply that I was surprised that puritanical PA was selling alcohol in the grocery store (and a bar in there to boot) and that they appeared to have no plans for ID other than a PA drivers license.
dont apologize, it's an interesting topic and honestly, we've kind of behaved. a few timid insults but nothing like 99% of the other threads where we are threatening to kill each other for having a differing opinion on the topic.

Reactions: USN_Panther
i'll tell you what's interesting is these get go's (giant eagle) with the nice deli, take out ordering and the beer/wine where you can drink it on location. I know what USN is talking about with the giant eagle market districts bars but they have some get go's now with sit down and alcohol beverages.

There is one on Wash Rd/Rt 19 in USC right by Pizzaz Pizza, it's actually pretty nice. i wouldnt call it a "Night out," but a nice little change of scenery.. I think they call them Market District Express.. They have a nice little menu, hot food too and beer on tap. Again, not a night out with the boys but i met my sister there one time, kids were hungry so we went and fed them and had a few drinks, wasnt too bad.

Yeah, that part wasn't well thought out by those hard fast rules. I mean I get what GE and other corporate markets are doing liability wise, but there have to be some provisions for folks who don't have ID's, or scannable ID's.

Speaking of, when I buy beer at a Giant Eagle, I don't think the cashier ever looked at the name and face on the ID, they just scan it. I could be giving them Joe Biden's ID and they wouldn't notice.

Reactions: LCFP79
Yeah, that part wasn't well thought out by those hard fast rules. I mean I get what GE and other corporate markets are doing liability wise, but there have to be some provisions for folks who don't have ID's, or scannable ID's.

Speaking of, when I buy beer at a Giant Eagle, I don't think the cashier ever looked at the name and face on the ID, they just scan it. I could be giving them Joe Biden's ID and they wouldn't notice.
when i was in college, me and my buddy were freshmen and it was halloween. He had this weird shark thing over his head and shoulders. Well we go buy a case of beer and he gets ID'd, pulls out his fake and the guy looks at it and says ok. keep in mind, my buddy has a shark costume on over his upper torso and head.

It was hilarious. another quick story, freshmen, walking into a bar and i had my buddy fake my PA id, piece of laminate over it with the numbers edited. Kind of crude but it worked some times. i also had a UTAH ID card, i was a mexican dude. Well i get carded, give him my ID and he says "NOPE, got anything else?" So i take that one back and give him my mexican dude utah ID card and he says "This looks a little better, go ahead in."

good times good times..

It is very difficult to prove you didn't do something, if you didn't do it. It's not like they will have a scan of some 19 year olds ID that they sold or did not sell booze to. If it happened, it circumvented the system. How do you prove you did something 100% of the time? It's difficult. But an OK system works better than no system I suppose.

Corporate motivation is complicated. I doubt very much the legal people care about each sale as much as the perception the system creates. It's one thing to argue that you have safeguards that someone subverted over just winging it and hoping for the best.

This isn’t a liability issue
It’s a regulation requirement as part of the agreement to allow them to sell
That's what I was trying to point out. Scanning an ID of a 60 year old doesn't prevent drunk driving or prevent underage sales. But the appearance of strictness may reduce the number of kids who try. It's kind of dumb, but for PA it is progress.

Now the reasoning behind alcohol laws and enforcement altogether is pretty dumb. Supposedly the drinking age of 21 and enforcement of that is to "protect" those young people. In reality, it probably does the opposite.

My son laughs his arse off when I tell him stories of parties getting busted at Pitt. Drinking age is 18 in NZ, so really all university age students are legal. Young people in NZ really don't drink drive. They either stay on foot, have a designated driver, or use sober driver services or Uber.

So back to busting parties...I told my son the story of being at a party on Atwood back in the 80s. I had just turned 21 and was there with another friend who also just turned 21. Mostly the people there were 19 or 20. The police bust this house party, and a guy who lived in the building next door was there. He led all the underage people up the stairs where they jumped out a window to the fire escape next door, went into his window, then as a big line of people came down the stairs and exited the building next door. My friend and I stood there talking to the police. We didn't know who lived there. We followed some girls in. Didn't know who they were. Didn't know where everyone went. Didn't know who bought the beer. Did we do anything wrong? No? OK, have a good night. Everyone came back a while later and the party resumed. No biggie.

But really, having everyone flee by jumping across a fire escape because they are a few months too young to have a beer legally didn't keep anyone safe. What is the point of that?

I was fined a whopping $25 for underage drinking back in 1988. I was about six months from being legal. What’s the punishment today?

That's what I was trying to point out. Scanning an ID of a 60 year old doesn't prevent drunk driving or prevent underage sales. But the appearance of strictness may reduce the number of kids who try. It's kind of dumb, but for PA it is progress.

Now the reasoning behind alcohol laws and enforcement altogether is pretty dumb. Supposedly the drinking age of 21 and enforcement of that is to "protect" those young people. In reality, it probably does the opposite.

My son laughs his arse off when I tell him stories of parties getting busted at Pitt. Drinking age is 18 in NZ, so really all university age students are legal. Young people in NZ really don't drink drive. They either stay on foot, have a designated driver, or use sober driver services or Uber.

So back to busting parties...I told my son the story of being at a party on Atwood back in the 80s. I had just turned 21 and was there with another friend who also just turned 21. Mostly the people there were 19 or 20. The police bust this house party, and a guy who lived in the building next door was there. He led all the underage people up the stairs where they jumped out a window to the fire escape next door, went into his window, then as a big line of people came down the stairs and exited the building next door. My friend and I stood there talking to the police. We didn't know who lived there. We followed some girls in. Didn't know who they were. Didn't know where everyone went. Didn't know who bought the beer. Did we do anything wrong? No? OK, have a good night. Everyone came back a while later and the party resumed. No biggie.

But really, having everyone flee by jumping across a fire escape because they are a few months too young to have a beer legally didn't keep anyone safe. What is the point of that?
Yeah I got some fairly strong views on underage drinking and the age requirements. It is another one of these laws or non laws that just reaps of complete hypocrisy. I hear the comments, "well kids drive fast" yeah well they also have faster reactions than 70 year olds. Besides, we have BAC drunk driving laws, so drunk is drunk, regardless of age.

Yes I can handle alcohol better now than then. Practice. Sure? LOL. Hormones no longer raging? Yep. But...I am sorry. If a person can vote, can sign up and serve our country in the military, die for our country, be tried as an adult, and be legally married and raise a kid.......all of those enormous responsibilities, then you can drink a beer.

I don't know if it is MADD or the Bar Association and who was in cahoots of making underage drinking the slam dunk, you are paying fines and we will try and ruin your life as much as we can, you will need a lawyer.......vs back then, and I am of the same group who came of age in the 80's, where cops may have harrassed you, took you home to your parents, and as long as you didn't cause trouble, generally let you go in their custody without a formal charge.

I was fined a whopping $25 for underage drinking back in 1988. I was about six months from being legal. What’s the punishment today?
usually a trip to the local magistrate who then makes you wash the local firetrucks for 10 hours of community service. that's what they did in the early 90s at least..

Yeah I got some fairly strong views on underage drinking and the age requirements. It is another one of these laws or non laws that just reaps of complete hypocrisy. I hear the comments, "well kids drive fast" yeah well they also have faster reactions than 70 year olds. Besides, we have BAC drunk driving laws, so drunk is drunk, regardless of age.

Yes I can handle alcohol better now than then. Practice. Sure? LOL. Hormones no longer raging? Yep. But...I am sorry. If a person can vote, can sign up and serve our country in the military, die for our country, be tried as an adult, and be legally married and raise a kid.......all of those enormous responsibilities, then you can drink a beer.

I don't know if it is MADD or the Bar Association and who was in cahoots of making underage drinking the slam dunk, you are paying fines and we will try and ruin your life as much as we can, you will need a lawyer.......vs back then, and I am of the same group who came of age in the 80's, where cops may have harrassed you, took you home to your parents, and as long as you didn't cause trouble, generally let you go in their custody without a formal charge.
It’s supposed to be a disincentive
Frankly in this day and age there is never a reason to drive drunk or even slightly impaired
Between Uber and Lyft- it’s stupid

Hell if the wife and I go to a nice place for dinner where we’ll have wine or cocktails - we don’t drive .

Frankly in this day and age there is never a reason to drive drunk or even slightly impaired

Hell if the wife and I go to a nice place for dinner where we’ll have wine or cocktails - we don’t drive .
Yeah those ride services are just a fantastic thing to being able to go out and have some drinks, and frankly not worry even about trivial things like parking, etc...

usually a trip to the local magistrate who then makes you wash the local firetrucks for 10 hours of community service. that's what they did in the early 90s at least..
What "they" did? Or what "you" did LOL.

I got done up for this heinous crime when I was 20. People wearing Pitt stuff were carded at a PSU tailgate. Cost me something like $200 and lost driving privileges for 6 months. This was in the late 80s. This had nothing to do with driving at all. We were walking. Just underage consumption. And literally, the PSU DC was raping young boys--possibly even at that very moment, and the PSU police were out harassing Pitt students for wearing Pitt shirts.
Pitt won the game, so F 'em.

I completely agree...have anything at all to drink, do not drive.

But raising the drinking age to 21 from 18 will probably reduce the number who have drinks and drive by just plain numbers. But raising the drinking age to 50 would do the same. Or raising the driving age to 30. But that's dumb.
Of course the actual reason for the age being 21 is because Congress attached the highway funds to drinking age and speed limit back in the day. They have relaxed on the speed limit, but not the drinking age.
My observation from around where I live is that the young tend not to drink and drive. This is a crime of the 40-50 years olds mostly. People who should know better, but always did it and got away with it in the past, so keep doing it.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
What "they" did? Or what "you" did LOL.

I got done up for this heinous crime when I was 20. People wearing Pitt stuff were carded at a PSU tailgate. Cost me something like $200 and lost driving privileges for 6 months. This was in the late 80s. This had nothing to do with driving at all. We were walking. Just underage consumption. And literally, the PSU DC was raping young boys--possibly even at that very moment, and the PSU police were out harassing Pitt students for wearing Pitt shirts.
Pitt won the game, so F 'em.
lol, i may have been involved in such shenanigans.

Laws that restrict access to things don't really deter any behavior. They just end up churning a lot of people through the criminal justice system that don't need to be there. I mean, we incarcerate a heck of a lot of people for weed. I got the impression during my visit to Germany that culturally, there is a very low tolerance for any sort of substance abuse which is a much more powerful deterrent. They also don't screw around when something criminal happens. They bring the hammer down hard.

lol, i may have been involved in such shenanigans.
Did plenty of stupid shit driving in college as the guy with a car -
Of course it’s because taxis sucked and busses stopped running late
It’s also why I preferred to do my drinking in Oakland so I could walk home

Laws that restrict access to things don't really deter any behavior. They just end up churning a lot of people through the criminal justice system that don't need to be there. I mean, we incarcerate a heck of a lot of people for weed. I got the impression during my visit to Germany that culturally, there is a very low tolerance for any sort of substance abuse which is a much more powerful deterrent. They also don't screw around when something criminal happens. They bring the hammer down hard.
Marijuana needs to be removed from the FDA schedule 1 list .
I’m hopeful this admin will bring america into the 21st admin
Non-violent drug offenses really shouldn’t be a criminal justice issue - it’s mental health and/or poverty .

An expensive Uber ride is a heck of a lot cheaper than getting busted.
But when you factor in:
Reducing the risk of getting pulled over
The peace of mind of being able to enjoy the evening without worry
No parking costs
Save on gas if it is far
Time, (door to door) saved....

It is a pretty good tradeoff.

Except if your Uber driver is a criminal, then it could be a problem. LOL.

But even for work, when a group of us go out of town and especially staying in a city, we always Uber. Even for conferences, don't even have to rent a car in many instances.

But when you factor in:
Reducing the risk of getting pulled over
The peace of mind of being able to enjoy the evening without worry
No parking costs
Save on gas if it is far
Time, (door to door) saved....

It is a pretty good tradeoff.

Except if your Uber driver is a criminal, then it could be a problem. LOL.

But even for work, when a group of us go out of town and especially staying in a city, we always Uber. Even for conferences, don't even have to rent a car in many instances.
I've never had a problem with Uber except in NYC where drivers try to steal a ride from another driver. You'll get double charged if that happens. But any time I travel for business, I just plan on using Uber to get around because renting a car is a ridiculous hassle any more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT