ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dune

Ski11585

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2008
Curious if any of the other movie buffs here (@fkthomas @pitt-girl) feel as excited for this movie as I do. Killer source material. The best cast it will ever, ever, ever get.

I really hope I can sit down in a theater this December to see this movie.

Curious if any of the other movie buffs here (@fkthomas @pitt-girl) feel as excited for this movie as I do. Killer source material. The best cast it will ever, ever, ever get.

Wasn’t aware of it. Let me look into it now.

I am. I'm just a huge sci-fi nerd and, IMO, the Dune IP has never been explored correctly outside of the books. There's just so much out there, not just on Arrakis but the Empire itself. And the Butlerian Jihad would make a cool prequel. I would love to see it fleshed out in a Netflix or HBO series that could do it justice.

I like David Lynch but he's just too weird for anyone outside of the extreme art-house types. Sci-fi is already kinda weird (and Dune especially weird, with its religious/Messianic undertones, etc.) and Lynch is a huge name but he was never the right guy to do a movie like that.

The cast is awesome but I'm not sure how impactful that will be (I'll leave it at that so as not to spoil things). That Timothee Chamet guy was good in the Netflix movie about the Battle of Agincourt. He'll do a good job as Paul.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

I’ve always been drawn to epic film series such as LOTR, SW, MCU (although I jumped on that bandwagon 8-9 years after it started). And I like some Sci-fi, provided it doesn’t get too campy or hokey. This being said, I never saw the original Dune film in the 80’s and it’s probably good that I didn’t because it looked pretty bad.

so I just went to YouTube and watched two videos. I am intrigued. The cast looks wonderful and the Director is well respected. I like the fact that his vision for the movie is that the original book has too much source material to squeeze into one film, so he’s doing it in two parts. I’m not a huge fan of over done action sequences in films and am more into the character development and a slower pace. This Director seems to do very well with both. I am intrigued. I look forward to seeing a trailer. What I just read about it is the movie was cast not to pigeonhole genders or races into roles for the sake of doing so...but rather did so in a way that makes sense for the film. In other words, diversity in a way that’s not gratuitous or woke. So that’s a great thing. The cast looks great so hopefully the cast indeed fits their parts. And I’m hoping for a top notch composer for the score. Maybe this could be the big movie of the year...if it stays on schedule and hits the screen this year.

I’ve always been drawn to epic film series such as LOTR, SW, MCU (although I jumped on that bandwagon 8-9 years after it started). And I like some Sci-fi, provided it doesn’t get too campy or hokey. This being said, I never saw the original Dune film in the 80’s and it’s probably good that I didn’t because it looked pretty bad.

so I just went to YouTube and watched two videos. I am intrigued. The cast looks wonderful and the Director is well respected. I like the fact that his vision for the movie is that the original book has too much source material to squeeze into one film, so he’s doing it in two parts. I’m not a huge fan of over done action sequences in films and am more into the character development and a slower pace. This Director seems to do very well with both. I am intrigued. I look forward to seeing a trailer. What I just read about it is the movie was cast not to pigeonhole genders or races into roles for the sake of doing so...but rather did so in a way that makes sense for the film. In other words, diversity in a way that’s not gratuitous or woke. So that’s a great thing. The cast looks great so hopefully the cast indeed fits their parts. And I’m hoping for a top notch composer for the score. Maybe this could be the big movie of the year...if it stays on schedule and hits the screen this year.
Holy $hit. Hans Zimmer is the composer! I’m in.

Wow - I am actually near the end of my 5th read of Dune, first time in 15ish years. Paul just reunited with Gurney.

It's the perfect Director, and a fantastic cast. Can't wait!

On a side note, Old Claws found the concepts and ideas awesome, but that writing could have used some more work. Kinda classic Frank Herbert that way.

I am. I'm just a huge sci-fi nerd and, IMO, the Dune IP has never been explored correctly outside of the books. There's just so much out there, not just on Arrakis but the Empire itself. And the Butlerian Jihad would make a cool prequel. I would love to see it fleshed out in a Netflix or HBO series that could do it justice.

I like David Lynch but he's just too weird for anyone outside of the extreme art-house types. Sci-fi is already kinda weird (and Dune especially weird, with its religious/Messianic undertones, etc.) and Lynch is a huge name but he was never the right guy to do a movie like that.

The cast is awesome but I'm not sure how impactful that will be (I'll leave it at that so as not to spoil things). That Timothee Chamet guy was good in the Netflix movie about the Battle of Agincourt. He'll do a good job as Paul.

There is absolutely so much good fodder for a Dune TV/Cinematic universe. I really, really hope this first film does well. The first 3-4 books are all really interesting.

Wow - I am actually near the end of my 5th read of Dune, first time in 15ish years. Paul just reunited with Gurney.

It's the perfect Director, and a fantastic cast. Can't wait!

On a side note, Old Claws found the concepts and ideas awesome, but that writing could have used some more work. Kinda classic Frank Herbert that way.

I can't think of a casting that doesn't seem, on paper, like a great fit.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Also...

1*Ixs16lmeZbPNA4wdeRfC7g.jpeg

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Well, Denis Viilenueve is one of my favorite directors out there right now, so I don't know much about the story but I'm all in. I did see the earlier version at one time and thought it was really odd and didn't make sense.

I'm game. That said, uber weird trainwreck Lynch one has its merits.

Denis V. is a super talent. Little bored that he's just recycling 80s stuff rather than doing his own thing. Hopefully he moves on from this trend after Dune and doesn't do a Brazil 2049 or some Videodrome revamp.

I’m going to assume you read all the books? I just saw something about Jason Mamoa being cast, and possibly miscast in a role that may work in this movie, but if other movies are made (beyond the first two), he doesn’t have the depth needed to play the character in the expanded role the character plays throughout the series.

I’m going to assume you read all the books? I just saw something about Jason Mamoa being cast, and possibly miscast in a role that may work in this movie, but if other movies are made (beyond the first two), he doesn’t have the depth needed to play the character in the expanded role the character plays throughout the series.

I have. And I'm not sure I necessarily agree. I think there are some unique aspects of his character that would make it an appealing role for a big time star.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT