ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Expansion draft: who ya keepin and who ya exposing?

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
NHL expansion draft coming up. Who ya keepin and who ya exposing?

You can keep 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and a goalie

8 skaters and a goalie

I’m keeping:

crosby no comment needed

Malkin no comment needed

Guentzel-I move him for something nice, not give him away for nothing in an expansion draft

Mccann-solid if unspectacular

Teddy B keep all the centers and stay strong up the middle. How many times have we chased after a decent center?

Letang- one year left on his deal, but had a great year and they will want to extend

Doumolin solid

Carter defeating Father Time. 1 yr left on deal

Kapanen we gave up a lot to get him and he looks good

Zucker gave up a lot to get him. If you want to trade him, he has value. Cant give away.

Goalie: none: but if required to, I keep DeSmith and look for a starter. I’d prefer to dangle both and see if they take either.

Rookies and 2nd year players don’t need protected

Notables exposed:

Rust-1 year left on deal. How good is he if it on Crosby’s line? I may keep him and expose someone else, depending on his trade value.

Marino took a step back

tanev is an expensive 4th liner

Matheson- they ain’t taking his contract, but feel free to.

Pens will lose a good forward no matter what – one of McCann, Teddy Blueger, Brandon Tanev and Jason Zucker.
If its one of these guys, you can have Blueger all day long.

It's not that simple.

Sid, Geno and Letang have no movement clauses. So they are protected. Marino is a 2nd year pro and therefore does not need protected. Rookies and 2nd year pros, draft choices, are exempt from the draft..

If you have a no movement clause, you take a spot on the protected list

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Guentzel
McCann
Kapanen
Blueger or Carter

Letang
Dumoulin
Petterson
(I could be talked into Matheson but the term of that contract is risky and makes him unlikely to be the pick anyway.)

Jarry (Seriously doubt either goalie would be picked, but Jarry is probably more likely.)

Reactions: Dan1911
I expose Carter if you believe someone else unprotected has more than a year left. Usually its the old guys like that who start expansion teams

When the Carter trade happened, there was lots of talk about his retiring after this year. Some of that thought process likely changed with his high level of play, though. But the decision would also be impacted by which team owns his services. His public statements indicate he likes the Pens and their chances of success. Would he have the same thoughts if he were taken by an expansion team? Maybe if they drafted comparable to the Knights who were immediately competitive. But it would be a risk for an expansion team to take him when he could he retire. That alone might make protecting someone else the right choice.

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Guentzel
McCann
Kapanen
Blueger or Carter

Letang
Dumoulin
Petterson
(I could be talked into Matheson but the term of that contract is risky and makes him unlikely to be the pick anyway.)

Jarry (Seriously doubt either goalie would be picked, but Jarry is probably more likely.)
First six forwards you had, then either Tanev or Carter. I'm with you on Defense too.

Goalie, I'd be inclined to leave Jarry unprotected if they don't think he's a #1 (I don't). He's due $8m over the next 2 years which makes him almost untradeable so maybe you hope they take him. Spend the money somewhere else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT