ADVERTISEMENT

OT Jake Guentzel

I believe this translates to their lack of power play success, but it is amazing just how poorly the Pens do 3 on 3. I am tired of this constant search for a highlight reel goal. At this point, 3 on 3 I would rather see O'Connor out their with Sid than Jake. You need someone willing to go to the net with speed. I mean they aren't even challenging goalies at 3 on 3.

The best thing that the Penguins could do to improve their 3 on 3 play would be to "accidentally" glue Malkin's pants to the bench right at the end of regulation.

Actually that might be the best thing they could do to improve their 5 on 4 play too.

The best thing that the Penguins could do to improve their 3 on 3 play would be to "accidentally" glue Malkin's pants to the bench right at the end of regulation.

Actually that might be the best thing they could do to improve their 5 on 4 play too.
And 5 on 5 play. Hes a shell of what he once was. He still shows flashes but for the most part he’s a net negative

Malkin is done. I don't think he has the same commitment to training as Sid and Letang, and it shows. Trade him to one of the Florida teams, since he lives in Miami anyhow. He would probably waive his no-trade clause for that.

Reactions: Millerton24
Malkin is done. I don't think he has the same commitment to training as Sid and Letang, and it shows. Trade him to one of the Florida teams, since he lives in Miami anyhow. He would probably waive his no-trade clause for that.
Yeah that is looking like a bad resigning. Should have let him walk and went after JT Miller or Vincent Troeschek.

He has had some stretches this season where his play has been very good, but then other stretches of play where his play has been awful. And the awful stretches seem to be a lot longer than the good ones.

He’s been washed for 3-4 years now

I am just amazed how good Sid still is. At 36 still one of the 3-4 best players in the world. If they had any semblance of a PP he would have 30 goals and 10 more points. All at tge same time of being Patrice Bergeron on draws and playing the 200 foot game.
Which is why I said he’s the only unmovable piece .
He’s crucial to making any rebuild short with his leadership

Another third period collapse last night. This team isn't poised to make a run, and if they did, they'd probably only get a wild card. Are they really contending this year? If you're honest, no.

This is a season to sell off expiring assets to build for the future, even if it's next year. Trade smith Guentzel, Ned the goalie, and anything else you can.

A deep run in the playoffs this year is a goal for the delusional. It's been years since they won a single series with younger teams than this one.

Unless a miracle happens, sell the expiring talent and build for next year. They can't afford to lose Jake for nothing. They have no draft picks and no prospects to acquire talent

Another third period collapse last night. This team isn't poised to make a run, and if they did, they'd probably only get a wild card. Are they really contending this year? If you're honest, no.

This is a season to sell off expiring assets to build for the future, even if it's next year. Trade smith Guentzel, Ned the goalie, and anything else you can.

A deep run in the playoffs this year is a goal for the delusional. It's been years since they won a single series with younger teams than this one.

Unless a miracle happens, sell the expiring talent and build for next year. They can't afford to lose Jake for nothing. They have no draft picks and no prospects to acquire talent
It’s almost like the defending Stanley cup champs are pretty good .

Reactions: jctrack
And the other 21 losses???
Currently 12th or so in the conference. Are they poised to make a run at the cup?
Cup run? They’ll be lucky to make the playoffs

Dubas is in a really tough spot. I can’t see Sid being happy if they trade Jake. Although he’s been a true pro and classy guy so I suppose they could get him to buy in. The issue is if they don’t get someone to contribute now the team will be worse short term. As great a guy that Sid is I can’t see him being happy about that. He’s as good as ever and I’m sure he wants to play for a contender I don’t blame him. Who knows how many years he has left in the tank but it’s not a lot. That’s why if you’re gonna trade Jake you have to consider trading Sid. I doubt he wants to be part of a rebuild that will occur in the few years he has left playing at this level

And the other 21 losses???
Currently 12th or so in the conference. Are they poised to make a run at the cup?
They really are in a precarious position. This was brought about by a convergence of perfect storms. The Rutherford campaign where while he made some big trades, his drafts were awful, and I am not just talking about the 1st rounders. Then the Hextall era, coupled with the end of the Lemieux ownership group. Hextall was a disaster. Really awful. And then the FSG came in and was in a tough situation. It would have been bad PR to let Malkin walk specifically and Letang and Rust. But at least Malkin, they should have not resigned him, they could applied that money to Vinnie Trocheck who is a native and a perfect #2 Center. Enter Kyle Dubas and he wanted to make a big splash. The fact he got rid of some bad contracts was great, but EK65 is not the player we all thought we were getting.

The two biggest issues was 2018-2022. Not winning a playoff series, let alone a deep run. That should have signified this core is done. But they just kept on doubling down. And let's face it, the right move after the 2018 season, but Mario wouldn't allow it, would have been to trade Malkin for a package picks/young prospects and try and retool.

But this franchise just keeps on doubling down on this same lineup/strategy, including the coach, and it is not working. Mike Sullivan is a great coach, will get a job in a moment, but his time has come and gone here and you can't get rid of all of the players, so you have to move the coach.

They really are in a precarious position. This was brought about by a convergence of perfect storms. The Rutherford campaign where while he made some big trades, his drafts were awful, and I am not just talking about the 1st rounders. Then the Hextall era, coupled with the end of the Lemieux ownership group. Hextall was a disaster. Really awful. And then the FSG came in and was in a tough situation. It would have been bad PR to let Malkin walk specifically and Letang and Rust. But at least Malkin, they should have not resigned him, they could applied that money to Vinnie Trocheck who is a native and a perfect #2 Center. Enter Kyle Dubas and he wanted to make a big splash. The fact he got rid of some bad contracts was great, but EK65 is not the player we all thought we were getting.

The two biggest issues was 2018-2022. Not winning a playoff series, let alone a deep run. That should have signified this core is done. But they just kept on doubling down. And let's face it, the right move after the 2018 season, but Mario wouldn't allow it, would have been to trade Malkin for a package picks/young prospects and try and retool.

But this franchise just keeps on doubling down on this same lineup/strategy, including the coach, and it is not working. Mike Sullivan is a great coach, will get a job in a moment, but his time has come and gone here and you can't get rid of all of the players, so you have to move the coach.
Whoa hold on. Mike Sullivan has never had a losing season.....................

Rutherford's drafts sucked because he traded most of his first rounders away, and the Penguins were picking at the bottom of each round. When your first pick is usually in the 50s, it's hard to get good players.

Then Hextall came in and did the same damn thing. You can't trade all your draft picks and prospects over a 10 year period and not expect to crash and burn at some point.

I agree the core was done years ago. It popped into my mind in 20-21, and became clear as day in 21-22. The rebuild should have started in the summer of 22, instead they traded more assets and managed to get older over the past 2 years.

Reactions: Dan1911
Interesting article. Do the Pens sign him or trade him. Dubas is going to have to make a heck of a trade to get a younger player that has enough talent to get Sid on Board it looks like he may be able to create a bidding war and get great value but does it end up making the team less competitive short term ?

Jake probably could get more as a FA. So does he take below market value to play with Sid or does he go Fa or force a trade ?

Looks like this will be Dubas first big test

We are going to be losing our big stars soon so I am for signing Guentzel and Rust long term.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
We are going to be losing our big stars soon so I am for signing Guentzel and Rust long term.

One of our big stars just signed a new four year contract in the off season, and another one of them signed a new six year contract. Meanwhile, the big star that we traded for in the off season has three more years after this one left on his contract.

Rutherford's drafts sucked because he traded most of his first rounders away, and the Penguins were picking at the bottom of each round. When your first pick is usually in the 50s, it's hard to get good players.

Then Hextall came in and did the same damn thing. You can't trade all your draft picks and prospects over a 10 year period and not expect to crash and burn at some point.

I agree the core was done years ago. It popped into my mind in 20-21, and became clear as day in 21-22. The rebuild should have started in the summer of 22, instead they traded more assets and managed to get older over the past 2 years.
No. Sorry. Bzzzzt. They sucked because they sucked. Ray Shero also traded away 1st rd picks and picked at the end of the rounds. He also drafted Jake Guentzel, Bryan Rust, Matt Murray, Tristan Jarry, Connor Sheary, Tom Kuhnackl, Scott Wilson, etc....which provided the basis for the 2016-17 Cup winners.

No. Sorry. Bzzzzt. They sucked because they sucked. Ray Shero also traded away 1st rd picks and picked at the end of the rounds. He also drafted Jake Guentzel, Bryan Rust, Matt Murray, Tristan Jarry, Connor Sheary, Tom Kuhnackl, Scott Wilson, etc....which provided the basis for the 2016-17 Cup winners.
In 7 drafts Rutherford had 2 first round picks. Most of his picks were in the 100s.

Shero had 20 picks under 100 in his first seven drafts, including 7 first round picks.

I'm not here to defend Rutherford's drafting, and I've said before him and Hextall are the reason they have no farm system or draft picks. You can't expect much when you don't have any picks. Frankly, neither Rurherford or Shero were any good at drafting.

Last night maybe the angriest I have been at a local sport team in years. And I called it. The Pens were down 3-2, they were killing a PP, and the Coyotes take a penalty while the Pens had possession of the puck. So if you don't know, they don't blow the play dead until the other team touches the puck. The Pens pulled the goalie because again the other team can't shoot it into the empty net because as soon as they touch the puck, the play is dead. So you know, the Pens have a man advantage and seeing how well they have performed on the PP and 3 on 3, it was only natural that they do what they were going to do. They just passed and passed east/west passes and loop do loop drop passes because "hey, they are the Penguins, it is what we do". I am yelling at the TV, go....GO!!! Meaning go attack in the offensive zone not play handgrenade in your defensive end with an empty net, well one drop pass too many as Letang did to Geno and well Geno is not a goalie and the puck goes into the net. Goal!! 4-2. Anyone on the ice should have not seen another shift.

But no. Not Mike Sullivan. Insanity is doing the same. I would fire Sully. NOW I mean right NOW! That's it. And here we go, all of those No Trade Clause bloated contracts these guys have?? I would bring in a Michel Therrien/Kevin Constantine type of disciplinarian, defense first. I would make their lives miserable. And ride with it. We will see if they waive their NTC contracts, and it is time to start the rebuild.

I really don't see any ways out of this other than that. What say you guys???

Reactions: Dan1911
Last night maybe the angriest I have been at a local sport team in years. And I called it. The Pens were down 3-2, they were killing a PP, and the Coyotes take a penalty while the Pens had possession of the puck. So if you don't know, they don't blow the play dead until the other team touches the puck. The Pens pulled the goalie because again the other team can't shoot it into the empty net because as soon as they touch the puck, the play is dead. So you know, the Pens have a man advantage and seeing how well they have performed on the PP and 3 on 3, it was only natural that they do what they were going to do. They just passed and passed east/west passes and loop do loop drop passes because "hey, they are the Penguins, it is what we do". I am yelling at the TV, go....GO!!! Meaning go attack in the offensive zone not play handgrenade in your defensive end with an empty net, well one drop pass too many as Letang did to Geno and well Geno is not a goalie and the puck goes into the net. Goal!! 4-2. Anyone on the ice should have not seen another shift.

But no. Not Mike Sullivan. Insanity is doing the same. I would fire Sully. NOW I mean right NOW! That's it. And here we go, all of those No Trade Clause bloated contracts these guys have?? I would bring in a Michel Therrien/Kevin Constantine type of disciplinarian, defense first. I would make their lives miserable. And ride with it. We will see if they waive their NTC contracts, and it is time to start the rebuild.

But sully has never had a losing season

All joking aside let’s be real. Some of it is coaching for sure. The pens culture is to make the pretty play rather than the simple play or just you know shooting the puck and crashing the net. That was great when Letang and Malkin were elite playere But Malkin is a net negative player and tanger is average at best

They’ll be lucky to make the playoffs this year. This team is devoid of talent other than Sid and Jake. Rust has been average at best and Carlson is way over priced.

It’s time to blow it up. No one should be spared.

Was listening on radio and didn’t see the play but you seemingly missed the entire point of the delay tactics. They were shorthanded when the penalty was called. By “wasting” time there they were increasing their own PP time on the tail end. Inexcusable to allow it to go into your own goal but that’s kind of how this season is going.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Was listening on radio and didn’t see the play but you seemingly missed the entire point of the delay tactics. They were shorthanded when the penalty was called. By “wasting” time there they were increasing their own PP time on the tail end. Inexcusable to allow it to go into your own goal but that’s kind of how this season is going.
I know this. I played hockey. What you don't do though is make a drop pass towards your goalie vacated net. That is cardinal rule #1 of that situation.

Didn’t see the game but saw where the stats said Jarry had 22 saves on 26 shot attempts, letting 4 goals in. Jarry played the entire game, Coyotes had 5 total goals and the 5th wasn’t an empty netter at the end of the game.

Had to think on that a minute and then figured they must have hit the puck into their own goal with Jarry pulled on a delayed penalty. Classic.

I know this. I played hockey. What you don't do though is make a drop pass towards your goalie vacated net. That is cardinal rule #1 of that situation.
But that wasn’t the criticism you leveled. Borque was actually praising the move until they put it in their own net.

This is not a team that will challenge for the cup. That play encapsulates where they are. Time to sell off expiring contracts and build for next year and beyond.

Out of the playoffs. Struggling to stay competitive. Lucky to get a wild card. No way they win a series. Laughable to consider them contenders. Investing in this mess this year? inexcusable!

This is not a team that will challenge for the cup. That play encapsulates where they are. Time to sell off expiring contracts and build for next year and beyond.

Out of the playoffs. Struggling to stay competitive. Lucky to get a wild card. No way they win a series. Laughable to consider them contenders. Investing in this mess this year? inexcusable!
What expiring contracts
Be specific

But that wasn’t the criticism you leveled. Borque was actually praising the move until they put it in their own net.
Yeah it was. I see how irresponsible this team is. All year. Last year. The year before. They (especially those two) make bad decisions constantly. To just play hot potato with the puck in front of an empty net was irresponsible. Want to kill time? Then have Letang take the puck behind the net and wait their until times runs down and you get your PP on.

See earlier post.
Apologies but I cannot find this detailed post regarding expiring contracts
You said trade Guentzel for young talent (which I assume means prospects or picks .
But I’m not seeing any actual details

Apologies but I cannot find this detailed post regarding expiring contracts
You said trade Guentzel for young talent (which I assume means prospects or picks .
But I’m not seeing any actual details
This is a really good site if you haven't seen it. But it is incredibly comprehensive as far as contracts, term, LTIR, Buyouts, even prospects and available draft picks. It is a great resource.

I had to get up very early this morning, so I didn’t watch the third period last night.
But as soon as I heard the Penguins put the puck into their own net with the goalie pulled, I KNEW it was either Letang or Malkin. It turned out it was both. That’s what is so bad about it. I wasn’t surprised they did that. Honestly anyone who has watched the Pens for the last few years shouldn’t be surprised that those two combined to put it in their own empty net.

This is a really good site if you haven't seen it. But it is incredibly comprehensive as far as contracts, term, LTIR, Buyouts, even prospects and available draft picks. It is a great resource.

So the expiring contacts are pretty limited
Po , Jake , a couple role players

So the expiring contacts are pretty limited
Po , Jake , a couple role players
Jeff Carter. HOORAY!!!

By the way on Carter. Here's what I don't get. Why isn't he on PP1? He's a big guy, he has hands, have him in that Hornquist, Johan Franzen, Dave Andreychuk role of big body that's hard to clear out and obstruct goalie's view??

To me it's a no brainer. A power play is not a fantasy roster. It shouldn't be. Guys should have defined roles. You don't need to just put you 5 best guys out there if they all are guys who prefer to play on the perimeter.

Jeff Carter. HOORAY!!!

By the way on Carter. Here's what I don't get. Why isn't he on PP1? He's a big guy, he has hands, have him in that Hornquist, Johan Franzen, Dave Andreychuk role of big body that's hard to clear out and obstruct goalie's view??

To me it's a no brainer. A power play is not a fantasy roster. It shouldn't be. Guys should have defined roles. You don't need to just put you 5 best guys out there if they all are guys who prefer to play on the perimeter.
I’ve said this a bunch of times. Carter is a big dude witb good hands who you need to plant in front of the net. He’d be a good screen as well as able to tip shots and get rebounds.

But that’s not the pens style. It’s pass around the perimeter so you can create a high lit reel goal. You’d have to take Malkin or Jake off the power play.

I’ve said this a bunch of times. Carter is a big dude witb good hands who you need to plant in front of the net. He’d be a good screen as well as able to tip shots and get rebounds.

But that’s not the pens style. It’s pass around the perimeter so you can create a high lit reel goal. You’d have to take Malkin or Jake off the power play.
Yes, I hear ya. But their "style" is ranked 31st on the PP and has cost them some valuable wins. You would think a coach would usurp the power and authority away the players, and change the PP.

Sid is he half wall trigger man, not down low.
EK is the point man.
Carter is the net front presence.
Jake is the puck retriever
Need a RH shot for one timers, it should be Geno but he passes too much, so he is off of the PP. Maybe Rust.

Another thing I would do is on 3-3 OT, I would put out O'Connor out there. He is fast. He goes to the net. He is north south. What a revelation that would be. Sure he doesn't have the pedigree, but at least they would force the opposing goalie to make a save once in awhile.

Yes, I hear ya. But their "style" is ranked 31st on the PP and has cost them some valuable wins. You would think a coach would usurp the power and authority away the players, and change the PP.

Sid is he half wall trigger man, not down low.
EK is the point man.
Carter is the net front presence.
Jake is the puck retriever
Need a RH shot for one timers, it should be Geno but he passes too much, so he is off of the PP. Maybe Rust.

Another thing I would do is on 3-3 OT, I would put out O'Connor out there. He is fast. He goes to the net. He is north south. What a revelation that would be. Sure he doesn't have the pedigree, but at least they would force the opposing goalie to make a save once in awhile.
Yeah you know like shoot the puck

Gotta wonder how much control sully actually has over the inmates

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT