ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Great Navy Movie

The Fighting Sullivan’s is a great Navy movie an oldie but goodie. People forget that entire families sacrificed for our freedom.
5 brothers were lost of the light cruiser USS Juneau during the battle for Guadalcanal 1942. It is my understanding that Japanese sub spread of torpedoes was actually meant for the USS San Francisco but by missing the primary target the spread hit and sank the trailing USS Juneau.

They Were Expendable. PT boats in action during the fall of the Philippines.
Sand Pebbles is a great movie. The scene when the battle Flag goes up really captures the pride of the Navy.
Since the Marine Corps is a part of the Navy, and as they say, the best part.......

The scene that reenacts the Marine defense of Wake Island, where they hold their fire as the Japanese fleet pounds them, luring them in closer and closer, with the radar operator calling out the range. The Marines chafing at the bit to fight back...When they finally get the word to open fire, every gun fires simultaneously and they wallop the Japanese, sinking a heavy cruiser and several smaller ships, totally driving off the invasions force.

Semper Fi!

It is a stirring scene, but the event actually happened pretty much as portrayed!

Reactions: oldpanther

Since the Marine Corps is a part of the Navy, and as they say, the best part.......

The scene that reenacts the Marine defense of Wake Island, where they hold their fire as the Japanese fleet pounds them, luring them in closer and closer, with the radar operator calling out the range. The Marines chafing at the bit to fight back...When they finally get the word to open fire, every gun fires simultaneously and they wallop the Japanese, sinking a heavy cruiser and several smaller ships, totally driving off the invasions force.

Semper Fi!

It is a stirring scene, but the event actually happened pretty much as portrayed!
Once a marine always a marine!

Semper Fi!

It is a Corp three divisions that it.

Yeah
I’m a real asshole for finding the stress those ships were under with rudimentary tools -
Enough they are literally looking with binoculars to spot u-boats
It’s totally an outrageous position .
Total troll move .
If you’re comprehension impaired
The tools were not as rudimentary as you think that is why I sent you the link. The u boats were submerses by strict definition. Which means they had to surface and recharge their batteries. So understand mathematical you can predict their length of time submerged couple with their distances to travel and the supplies they needed. Make no mistake the North Atlantic is a pond compared to the a Pacific and holds the wrath of a woman scorned.

Semper Fi!

My brother is a retired Lt. Colonel jarhead...He spent most of his time in one ot the most feared brigades in the Corps....595th Screaming Comptrollers. Proud battle history included the first accounting platoon to balance the books at Guadalcanal and accounted for 97% of the lost inventory at the Chosin Reservoir...
"Silver pens upon their chests, accounting men, America's best..." .

Reactions: BPKY and TFBaum
My brother is a retired Lt. Colonel jarhead...He spent most of his time in one ot the most feared brigades in the Corps....595th Screaming Comptrollers. Proud battle history included the first accounting platoon to balance the books at Guadalcanal and accounted for 97% of the lost inventory at the Chosin Reservoir...
"Silver pens upon their chests, accounting men, America's best..." .
Just remember in 1939 Eisenhower was a supply clerk

Army guy here, and most the war movies I watched were Army or Marine Corps. But anyways here are two Navy movies I liked a lot that I haven't seen listed yet, One old one, one newer one.

1) The Fighting Sullivans
2) USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage

I liked the first Midway, and for some of you older gentlemen on the site, Horatio Hornblower.

The tools were not as rudimentary as you think that is why I sent you the link. The u boats were submerses by strict definition. Which means they had to surface and recharge their batteries. So understand mathematical you can predict their length of time submerged couple with their distances to travel and the supplies they needed. Make no mistake the North Atlantic is a pond compared to the a Pacific and holds the wrath of a woman scorned.

I was kind of shocked not to see the Mark 37 discussed in your link.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT