ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens Fans Might be Interested - BlackBerry

MJG-90

Walk-on
Jan 23, 2018
Penguins fans might recall how one of the main characters of this new Hulu show (new on Hulu, not a new movie or a Hulu movie) almost ended up owning the them. Thank goodness that never happened.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Isn't he the guy that wanted to move to the team to Hamilton, Ontario?
I don't remember that. But Hamilton????? I've been to Hamilton. Kind of a shitty small city. Basically a suburb of Toronto. Hamilton is basically the Akron of Ontario. Would've had a major uphill climb making it a success there even with all of the hockey mad citizens. They root for the Maple Leafs there so gaining a following would've been a nightmare.

I don't remember that. But Hamilton????? I've been to Hamilton. Kind of a shitty small city. Basically a suburb of Toronto. Hamilton is basically the Akron of Ontario. Would've had a major uphill climb making it a success there even with all of the hockey mad citizens. They root for the Maple Leafs there so gaining a following would've been a nightmare.
We were lucky that this goof wanted to move the Pens to Hamilton and not somewhere like Houston, Orlando or Atlanta, which the NHL is once again looking to give a team.

We were lucky that this goof wanted to move the Pens to Hamilton and not somewhere like Houston, Orlando or Atlanta, which the NHL is once again looking to give a team.
Is this for real? How many more failed attempts in Atlanta will it take? The first attempt went up in flames and the next attempt got thrashed. And the NHL already has a franchise an hour away from Orlando.

Reactions: Dan1911
Is this for real? How many more failed attempts in Atlanta will it take? The first attempt went up in flames and the next attempt got thrashed. And the NHL already has a franchise an hour away from Orlando.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Oh yeah. It was a big deal and a big worry back in the day. The guy was a big time a-hole, although maybe the people in Hamilton didn’t think so.

If I recall correctly, Hamilton had a new building or was getting a new building. Not to mention that they came out in droves to attend and support the biggest hockey tournament in history (the 87 Canada Cup).

I have to say though…I loved my blackberry and hated when the first gen iPhone was foisted on me by my company.

Oh yeah. It was a big deal and a big worry back in the day. The guy was a big time a-hole, although maybe the people in Hamilton didn’t think so.

Actually I think a large part of his problem was that the people in Hamilton also thought he was a big time a-hole.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Actually I think a large part of his problem was that the people in Hamilton also thought he was a big time a-hole.
Well the thought also was then just like MLB with the NY market, that Toronto (of which Hamilton is actually part of the Toronto metro area) could easily handle another team. With the Leafs being so ensconced in the fabric of Southern Ontario not sure if this would be the case. But it is weird that the finals of the 1987 Canada Cup (the greatest hockey series of all time) was played at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton. Not Maple Leaf Gardens or the Forum in Montreal.

One other thing, I don't think many Americans realize just how big Toronto and its metro area is. It is just a bit smaller than Chicago.

Well the thought also was then just like MLB with the NY market, that Toronto (of which Hamilton is actually part of the Toronto metro area) could easily handle another team. With the Leafs being so ensconced in the fabric of Southern Ontario not sure if this would be the case. But it is weird that the finals of the 1987 Canada Cup (the greatest hockey series of all time) was played at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton. Not Maple Leaf Gardens or the Forum in Montreal.

One other thing, I don't think many Americans realize just how big Toronto and its metro area is. It is just a bit smaller than Chicago.
Harold Ballard owned the Maple Leaf Gardens back then, I can see the Canada Cup organizers not wanting to deal with his nonsense. The Forum in Montreal hosted games in the tournament, included one of the semifinals.

Well the thought also was then just like MLB with the NY market, that Toronto (of which Hamilton is actually part of the Toronto metro area) could easily handle another team.

I think Toronto absolutely could handle another team.

I also think that the people of Hamilton thought that Jim Balsillie was an a-hole conman. Which he surely was, and probably still is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT