ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is there a bigger coaching fraud in College Basketball

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Than Frank Martin? He’s about to leave UMass after one year, most likely for South Florida. His teams get down big and he stops coaching. He pouts on the sidelines with his arms crossed. And he’s been to ONE tournament since he was at Kansas State. ONE! That’s 12 years at pretty good jobs and ONE tournament to show for it.

Other candidates?

Than Frank Martin? He’s about to leave UMass after one year, most likely for South Florida. His teams get down big and he stops coaching. He pouts on the sidelines with his arms crossed. And he’s been to ONE tournament since he was at Kansas State. ONE! That’s 12 years at pretty good jobs and ONE tournament to show for it.

Other candidates?
When I opened this I wondered if it was a Leonard Hamilton thread.

I have to admit, I’ve been a little hard on him over the years, and then recently I’ve come around on him, only to see him have this type of year.

So maybe he’d be my candidate.

I have to admit, I’ve been a little hard on him over the years, and then recently I’ve come around on him, only to see him have this type of year.

Hard to really call him a fraud given what he was able to build at Florida State when they hadn’t had success since the early 90s. Not sure what has happened over the past few years. Maybe he had just gotten too old. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them turn it around next season.

He’s underachieved; especially this year, but look at his overall tenures at Miami and Florida. Pretty solid runs.

I was the same way. He was always in the Lorenzo Romar category for me. But then the past 5-6 years, he started parading lottery picks through Tallahassee and not even he could screw them up. No lottery pick this year, just pretty good "bubble talent" and he managed to go 2-9 in the non-con. Said it all season but Hamilton, Brey, Hubert Davis, and Kenny Payne with 4 of the worst coaching jobs in ACC history.

Other candidates?
Frank Martin took South Carolina to the Final Four in 2017!

I don't buy Frank Martin as a job jumper. He was at Kansas State for five years and South Carolina for 10.

I do think South Carolina gave him too much time and that his KSU tenure was clearly better. His winning percentage at KSU was better than Bruce Webber and much much better than Jim Woolridge. I think he was a good coach back then but is getting out of touch now. He's too skeptical about small ball, the three point shot, etc.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
He needs to have a good season somewhere so that he can head to his dream job at Miami once Larranaga retires.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT