ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Game & Other Dribbles ...

I think we needed to move the ball more, not less. The ball didn’t move when Hugley was here, and Hugley was objectively bad defensively by any metric. Samuel would have eaten him alive.

I think the game last night was lost in the backcourt, honestly. Like you said, it’s the first time this year that Bub looked like he was 18 years old. Florida looked at played like the more mature, experienced backcourt. Leggett had the juice to match that maturity, but it felt like he slipped into the first year Burton “gonna make something happen with the ball” sort of game.

I still think we’ve got a good team, and it felt like a game where we didn’t rise to meet the moment moreso than a game that showed structural flaws. Felt like the moment was too big for us, we got into a bad game situation and started to scramble, and just couldn’t get it back under control.
Wait, people are still talking about Hugley? How could anyone not realize he was the sole reason for the team’s success last year? Aka sitting out. He absolutely sucks. How is this still a thing?

That game has loss written all over it if you believe in the basketball Gods. High scoring Pitt team getting tons of pub. A frosh guard inexplicable being mock drafted. A quick early start. You could sense that “something” was about to happen to crash this unfounded hype.

And it did.

This is still a very good team but with a profound weakness. Jeff has to figure out a way to get the team to win without having much inside presence.

We have to keep Fede out of foul trouble. How the hell did he get into foul trouble when basically nothing was getting called??

There's so much talk about how college bb is a guard's game. And that may well be true. But to be a true contender - a team with legit hopes of making a deep run in the Big Dance - you have to have some kind of interior presence. We have none. Florida had 3 bigs better than anything we have.
QW

When I commented before the season that we would miss Papa Kante I was quickly put in my place. We are fine inside was the general response. Well last night showed how we can get bullied and Papa could have progressed this year to where we would have another option. Still I believe this game came down to Clayton taking Bub to school to some extent. Half of this board had Bub ready to jump to the NBA as soon as he got that triple double. In reality he found out last night that he doesn't have all the answers, yet. But the loss showed the kids what they need to do better than any coaches speach.

QW

When I commented before the season that we would miss Papa Kante I was quickly put in my place. We are fine inside was the general response. Well last night showed how we can get bullied and Papa could have progressed this year to where we would have another option. Still I believe this game came down to Clayton taking Bub to school to some extent. Half of this board had Bub ready to jump to the NBA as soon as he got that triple double. In reality he found out last night that he doesn't have all the answers, yet. But the loss showed the kids what they need to do better than any coaches speach.
Actually It was the other guard(Kegel?)who guarded Bub….was very physical with him. Clayton guarded Leggett.

I met some 6 foot 1 girl today that goes to Pitt and she dates my nephew.
sometimes life is good , she said go blue and gold
Next game thread I will sit out, just because.
Happy Thanksgiving
Go Pitt

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT