ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It's Masters Week!

you were excited about a sporting match with Ghana in it. Ghana.. did I hear that right, im assuming the US beat Ghana and you were excited.. Ghana? can someone confirm I read this correctly, he said Ghana?
You don't need a lot of equipment and specialized training to get good at soccer, just a ball and time on your hands. In fact, a lot of the poor countries develop more skilled, creative athletes because they aren't anally coached like US kids are. That's why Brazil's ghettos produce insanely creative soccer stars.

Reactions: Swervin27
NOTHING, is more action packed, nail biting than NHL playoff sudden death hockey. No commercials. Any moment the game could end, and sometimes it can last for hours. It is incredibly compelling.

That's what I hate about it! I'd rather just play regular season rules. Once I watched a Penguins 4 OT game until 4 AM and they lost! On a week night! Never again. Now I have a ONE OT limit, then I go to bed. I'd rather they do the regular 3 on 3 OT then a SO and call it a night. maybe extend the 3 on 3 to 10 or 20 minutes, but I refuse to stay up all night again. I pray that the playoff games DON'T go to OT.

3) the melodrama of someone getting tripped where is a guy in hockey could get his ankle broken and he is still trying to make a play.

Most of the time they are trying to draw a call, which to me is good strategy, and partly it's to rest for a minute after running for 20 minutes non stop.

I don't think hockey players are "tough" for losing all their teeth and keep going, I think they're IDIOTS for not wearing something to protect their teeth and putting up with those ijuries just to display toughness.

I agree with that. One of my best sports moments was staying up till 3AM for the Nedved goal vs the Caps.

In a way though, that is how I kind of view an entire soccer match of a team I root for. 1 goal might win the game so the anticipation of that 1 goal is semi-similar to a goal in the Stanley cup OT. The difference being the hockey goal wins it where the 1 goal in soccer MIGHT win it. I mean, obviously the sudden death nature of hockey is without comparison but I guess I like the thought of a game being turned on its head by just 1 goal

Problems with soccer.....IMO.

1) it is not just low scoring, but the style of say the Italians when they just putz around and don't attack, relying on a lucky goal or so......give me scoring chances. Soccer for a 90 minute game doesn't have enough chances.
2) the reffing is curious at best.
3) the melodrama of someone getting tripped where is a guy in hockey could get his ankle broken and he is still trying to make a play.

I agree with all of those but for #3, they are faking (which doesn't make it any better), they aren't actually hurt. They are trying to draw a card.

Lack of scoring chances is what really hurts the game in the US. Americans need scoring. Even though hockey is low-scoring, there's many more scoring chances. That said, EPL ratings are better than NHL ratings on NBCSN but that isnt relevant to this post. Both sports are niches here.

In a way though, that is how I kind of view an entire soccer match of a team I root for. 1 goal might win the game so the anticipation of that 1 goal is semi-similar to a goal in the Stanley cup OT. The difference being the hockey goal wins it where the 1 goal in soccer MIGHT win it.

I do like how they turn to PKs after an appropriate time (30 minutes), I honestly don't want to stay up all night.

Lack of scoring chances is what really hurts the game in the US. Americans need scoring.

I think people who hate soccer never took the time to understand it. Once you do, you can feel like 0-0 was a good game filled with excitement, or how if you tie 1-1 you might feel like you won... or lost. Excitement comes outside of scoring.

That's what I hate about it! I'd rather just play regular season rules. Once I watched a Penguins 4 OT game until 4 AM and they lost! On a week night! Never again. Now I have a ONE OT limit, then I go to bed. I'd rather they do the regular 3 on 3 OT then a SO and call it a night. maybe extend the 3 on 3 to 10 or 20 minutes, but I refuse to stay up all night again. I pray that the playoff games DON'T go to OT.

I was at the 5OT Pens/Flyers playoff game.

I do like how they turn to PKs after an appropriate time (30 minutes), I honestly don't want to stay up all night.

I hate PK's. I mean, the goalie saves what? 1 out of 10 shots? That is such an arbitrary decision. At least in hockey the shootouts, the goalie has more than a chance it is almost a 50/50 proposition.

But if they go "all night", what difference is that from a baseball game?? Extra inning baseball games can go 14-15-16 hell 18 innings.

I hate PK's. I mean, the goalie saves what? 1 out of 10 shots? That is such an arbitrary decision. At least in hockey the shootouts, the goalie has more than a chance it is almost a 50/50 proposition.

But if they go "all night", what difference is that from a baseball game?? Extra inning baseball games can go 14-15-16 hell 18 innings.

True, and I hate baseball more than any other sport! 18 innings? I probably haven't watched 18 at bats in the last 20 years if you don't count the Pirates playoff games and times when I went to ball games to get drunk with friends. PKs are arbitrary, true, but who cares, better than having it go on for hours on end.

True, and I hate baseball more than any other sport! 18 innings? I probably haven't watched 18 at bats in the last 20 years if you don't count the Pirates playoff games and times when I went to ball games to get drunk with friends. PKs are arbitrary, true, but who cares, better than having it go on for hours on end.
instead of PKs, I say you just continue with 3 on 3. 3 on 3 hockey will get you a goal, if not within 5 minutes, shortly thereafter. you aren't going 3 periods of 20 minutes with 3 on 3 scoreless hockey. players will drop dead..

I was at the 5OT Pens/Flyers playoff game.
That was the game I remember, and that was it for me, never again! One OT period and go to bed. I can read about it in the morning. I honestly would prefer the playoff games being decided by regular season OT rules.

instead of PKs, I say you just continue with 3 on 3. 3 on 3 hockey will get you a goal, if not within 5 minutes, shortly thereafter. you aren't going 3 periods of 20 minutes with 3 on 3 scoreless hockey. players will drop dead..

I mentioned that earlier, How about for playoffs, go 20 minutes of 3 on 3 and then a shoot out, I doubt you reach the SO often. And yeah, to me IT DOES MATTER that it end in a reasonable time... That is another thing I like about soccer, it ALWAYS fits into it's 2 hour window, unless it's a championship, and even then it never goes beyond 3 hours.

I mentioned that earlier, How about for playoffs, go 20 minutes of 3 on 3 and then a shoot out, I doubt you reach the SO often. And yeah, to me IT DOES MATTER that it end in a reasonable time... That is another thing I like about soccer, it ALWAYS fits into it's 2 hour window, unless it's a championship, and even then it never goes beyond 3 hours.

But it is amazing, some of you would never complain about college football lasting 3 hours and 45 minutes, because of all the "action", right?

But it is amazing, some of you would never complain about college football lasting 3 hours and 45 minutes, because of all the "action", right?
I'd prefer that to go quicker too, I'd let the clock run after 1st downs and reduce the play clock to 25 seconds, and eliminate all replay reviews and just accept ALL of the calls on the field.

I'd prefer that to go quicker too, I'd let the clock run after 1st downs and reduce the play clock to 25 seconds, and eliminate all replay reviews and just accept ALL of the calls on the field.
amen, get rid of the clock stop to reset the first downs too.. I will celebrate in the streets if and when instant replay goes away. I could live with it just being on scoring plays

amen, get rid of the clock stop to reset the first downs too.. I will celebrate in the streets if and when instant replay goes away. I could live with it just being on scoring plays
I don't even want it on scoring plays! Who cares if the knee touched down 2 inches before the ball crossed? Who cares if the ball "wobbled" 1/16th of an inch as the receiver rolled on the ground? I just say CLOSE ENOUGH TOUCHDOWN.

I don't even want it on scoring plays! Who cares if the knee touched down 2 inches before the ball crossed? Who cares if the ball "wobbled" 1/16th of an inch as the receiver rolled on the ground? I just say CLOSE ENOUGH TOUCHDOWN.
you are right, im with you 100%.

I think replay should be limited to 1 or 2 challenges per game. Completely agree on the 1/16th of an inch "wobble", shouldn't overturn a call. By limiting it to once or twice a game, and the coaches have to call for it, you can correct the grievous errors without having every play looked for some minor mistake.

I think replay should be limited to 1 or 2 challenges per game. Completely agree on the 1/16th of an inch "wobble", shouldn't overturn a call. By limiting it to once or twice a game, and the coaches have to call for it, you can correct the grievous errors without having every play looked for some minor mistake.
as each year passes, what is a "catch" changes.. A catch in 1990 is much different than a catch in 2010 and even different than today. getting silly.. I don't remember this being an issue in the 80's or 90's.. Maybe it's that we didnt' have HD tvs back then so we didn't see the perfectly placed camera replays in super slow motion..

How about make it JUST ONE per team/game, no exceptions. That way they'll think twice about using it unless something is 110% OBVIOUS.

I don't think any sport should end in a fashion that is different from the regular game. I think hockey should either have ties or start 3 on 3 and even go to 2 on 2 if a goal isnt scored in 10 minutes or so (playoffs the way it is now).

I dont like PKs. They have a conversion ratw around 80%. Its like ending a basketball game with a FT contest or a football game on a 25 yard FG kicking contest. In soccer, I think they should take 1 player off the field for each team every 15 minutes until you are down to to 2 v 2.....with the rule that you can sub in new players every 15 minutes. Someone would score by the time you get to 8 v 8 or 7 v 7 and teams would be more incented to score instead of to sit back and hope for penalties.

Reactions: Swervin27
I don't think any sport should end in a fashion that is different from the regular game. I think hockey should either have ties or start 3 on 3 and even go to 2 on 2 if a goal isnt scored in 10 minutes or so (playoffs the way it is now).

I dont like PKs. They have a conversion ratw around 80%. Its like ending a basketball game with a FT contest or a football game on a 25 yard FG kicking contest. In soccer, I think they should take 1 player off the field for each team every 15 minutes until you are down to to 2 v 2.....with the rule that you can sub in new players every 15 minutes. Someone would score by the time you get to 8 v 8 or 7 v 7 and teams would be more incented to score instead of to sit back and hope for penalties.

That's not a bad idea.... But what I like about soccer is, THEY DON'T CARE, they aren't about to change the rules to entertain American viewers more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT