ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It's Masters Week!

I know he has almost no chance, but I'm rooting for Els. It could well be his last Masters.

Garcia is probably the nicest guy on tour, treats volunteers and fans extremely well. Unfortunately, he doesn't handle adversity well and can be extremely petulant when things aren't going his way.

Keegan Bradley is the worst. Miserable, fidgety whiner. Can't putt now that anchoring is illegal.

Don't like or dislike Dustin Johnson. Seems like he has never had a thought enter his head and easily influenced by others. That was bad when he was young and with friends, but good now that he is around guys like Harmon and Gretzky.

Like Speith and Day, but hate how slow they are. At least Speith seems to care about it, Day doesn't.

Love McIlroy, his best is better than anyone else's best. Seems to lose his focus when not putting well, though. He also seems as honest as possible with the way the media is nowadays. I'm probably a little biased, too. Playing the courses he played as an amateur in Northern Ireland was my favorite golf vacation.
Same here.

Watson was the least popular player on tour in '15. There was always something that rubbed me the wrong way about him. I know 60 minutes subsequently ran a special on him trying to improve himself, but I never find myself rooting for him.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-pros-bubba-watsons-in
Think him blasting his caddy in front of millions of viewers on a weekly basis probably doesn't help his image..

I like golfers that scream at their caddies, if I had one, id blame him for every one of my bad shots too..

Think him blasting his caddy in front of millions of viewers on a weekly basis probably doesn't help his image..

I like golfers that scream at their caddies, if I had one, id blame him for every one of my bad shots too..
Plus, he just got dem crazy eyes. You could transplant his dark eyes right onto Jaws and their wouldn't be a noticeable difference.

I think you get a Master's invite for life as a past Champion. Is Els' body breaking down that badly? Is that what you mean? I haven't heard that, but you've got to love silky smooth, easy-going golfers like Els and Couples.

I also think DJ at his best beats Rory these days. And I hate to make that statement as I really don't like DJ, although he's gotten a bit better over the years. The guy across the hall from me played at NC State and on the Carolinas Jr. Tour w/ DJ. He says that he was always a freak on the course, but that he's one of the dumbest human beings that he's ever met.

Els has 2 US Opens and 2 British Opens, but no Masters. Els' exemption into the Masters from his last British Open win expires this year. Seems like the kind of player who should have a couple Masters wins, though.

I'm not sure how many times Els finished to second to Woods, but I think he would have had a few more majors if their careers didn't overlap. Of course, you could say that about anyone who played during Nicklaus' career, too. But I think Els was affected more by Woods than Mickleson was.

Els has 2 US Opens and 2 British Opens, but no Masters. Seems like the kind of player who should have a couple, though.

I'm not sure how many times Els finished to second to Woods, but I think he would have had a few more majors if their careers didn't overlap. Of course, you could say that about anyone who played during Nicklaus' career, too. But I think Els was affected more by Woods than Mickleson was.
My bad. I could have sworn he won one. He finished in the top 6 for 5 straight years in the early 2000's. Had to look that up...his two second places were to Vijay and Phil in their primes...

Not a big fan of them in baseball either. MLB should tell the players union that they're not signing another contract until they get rid of flat brim caps and the pajama pants that go beyond the shoe soles. Wanna' look like Eminem or Drake? Do it on your own time.

It just dawned on me that you and I agreed on something. :)
Breaking news...this just in from Augusta.... Fowler's cap has a discernible arch in the bill area...I repeat, Fowler's bill today is that of a standard boring Caucasian golfer....

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
My bad. I could have sworn he won one. He finished in the top 6 for 5 straight years in the early 2000's. Had to look that up...his two second places were to Vijay and Phil in their primes...

I just looked it up, too. In 2000 alone he finished 2nd to Singh in the Masters and 2nd to Woods in both the US and British Opens.

I'm the opposite, I have a hard time rooting for non Americans. They got to have a great personality to overcome that. Irish guys I can root for.

England, Canada or anything south of Texas, I will bleed sweat and cry rooting for that golfers failure.
Wife and I only rout for USA guys.
We actually have a water or woods chant when a non USA golfer is in or near the lead!

Reactions: Swervin27
Have a retort? Guy's been suspended twice for cociane and banged the wife of at least one fellow PGA Tour member. He's not smart.
He's our favorite golfer the wife loves him! But that would be two wives of golfers when he was rehabbing in Jupiter FL. Tiger who also lives in Jupiter along with a lot of other golfers helped him out with one Amada Duffner who Jason Duffner eventually dumped!
Dustin and Tiger had a lot of irons in the fire literally!
Its nice that the PGA pros help eachother out like that!

Last edited:
Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
I think DJ has the best odds since Tiger back in 2005 (coincidentally the last time the #1 player won the masters), so you have to like his chances.

Other guys I'm interested in, from a value side:
Rahm (25 to 1): never played the Masters, but how can you not put a little $$$ on this guy at this point?
Rose (25): Very strong Masters career, playing well this year
Leishman (50) - Top 30's in 9 of 10 tourneys this year, with a win at the Arnold Palmer - wind player and it's going to be windy Thurs/Fri
Henley (66) - Last week's winner, strong putter
Berger (75) - Good season and another good putter
Noren (80) - Never played here, but he's #10 in the world and went toe to toe with DJ in the match play...
C. Hoffman (125) - Top 30 finishes every time he's played, including a top 10 in '15

Hatton and Pieters are trendy guys I like as well. Sned and Haas too.

Hope everyone listened...

After day 1. Good for Charley Hoffman, but I don't think he has the chutzpah to take this into the weekend. I see a 75 soon.

I told you Phil was playing really well. I am sure he is happy with a 71 after yesterday. If he can have a good round today, he should be focused and motivated this weekend.

Here's a sentimental favorite. Lee Westwood, no majors but great golfer and by all accounts a good guy.
Also, nice to see Sergio off to a good start. For whatever reason, I always liked him.
Justin Rose has to be a threat at -1.
Good to see Rickie have a good start, it is about time he does something in a major, this weekend could be huge for him. As much as he looks like a millennial punk, he seems like a good guy, and respectful and appreciative of golf's history.
Again, McIroy and Pieters are even par, both could go low any round. Jason Day at 2 over is not out.

I think Hoffman comes back not people have to chase him.

Oh and speaking of sentimental, congrats to Larry Mize for a nice 74 yesterday. He last was relevant when Paul Evans and Mike Gottfried were your respective Pitt BB and FB coaches.

After day 1. Good for Charley Hoffman, but I don't think he has the chutzpah to take this into the weekend. I see a 75 soon.

I told you Phil was playing really well. I am sure he is happy with a 71 after yesterday. If he can have a good round today, he should be focused and motivated this weekend.

Here's a sentimental favorite. Lee Westwood, no majors but great golfer and by all accounts a good guy.
Also, nice to see Sergio off to a good start. For whatever reason, I always liked him.
Justin Rose has to be a threat at -1.
Good to see Rickie have a good start, it is about time he does something in a major, this weekend could be huge for him. As much as he looks like a millennial punk, he seems like a good guy, and respectful and appreciative of golf's history.
Again, McIroy and Pieters are even par, both could go low any round. Jason Day at 2 over is not out.

I think Hoffman comes back not people have to chase him.

Oh and speaking of sentimental, congrats to Larry Mize for a nice 74 yesterday. He last was relevant when Paul Evans and Mike Gottfried were your respective Pitt BB and FB coaches.

Would love to see Westwood or Sergio win one after all these years. I certainly don't disagree with you on Hoffman, and history would side with you as well, but I will say that Hoffman was in the last group with Speith in the 3rd round in 2015, so at least he can try and hinge off that. Pieters was up to -5 on the front 9 yesterday... I think you'll see some low scores over the weekend as the weather improves.

I'd love to see Westwood win, also. Too bad he doesn't putt any better than most of us.

I spent some time at The K Club (site of 2006 Ryder Cup) and was told that Zach Johnson was the most rude and arrogant person to ever set foot in the place. Sergio, Tiger (was surprising to me), Phil, Darren Clarke, and Furyk got the ravest of reviews. Maybe ZJ has changed since then?

Should be a great weekend. You got Ricky and Sergio looking for their first major. I told you Thomas Pieters would be a threat. Jon Rahm is lurking. Rory is not far back. Neither is Jordan Speith. Phil, jesus Phil if you can make a couple of putts you would be right there. And then there would be the ultimate in sentimental favs in Freddie Couples and who could possibly root against that?

I thought this was sarcasm. wow, that is ridiculous. this is youth rec league concession stand prices..

Things are very cheap, but trust me, the members and club don't need the money! That's for sure!!

I've been there twice. Had to eat a pimento sandwich because that's what they're famous for. Meh!

It is an incredibly beautiful course with the blossoms out. If you haven't been there, you'd be shocked by the hills and slopes of the course. Just walking it is enough to wear you out. Don't think there is a flat green on the course.

Members tramp around in their green jackets for show, but most are approachable and eager to answer questions, etc.

The course is an oasis in the midst of an Appalachian dump! Think trailer park/shacks. The town of Augusta is boarded up. Typical small town ghost town. Think Mon Valley.

But the course is incredible. Hell even the pine needles seem to be raked!

Things are very cheap, but trust me, the members and club don't need the money! That's for sure!!

I've been there twice. Had to eat a pimento sandwich because that's what they're famous for. Meh!

It is an incredibly beautiful course with the blossoms out. If you haven't been there, you'd be shocked by the hills and slopes of the course. Just walking it is enough to wear you out. Don't think there is a flat green on the course.

Members tramp around in their green jackets for show, but most are approachable and eager to answer questions, etc.

The course is an oasis in the midst of an Appalachian dump! Think trailer park/shacks. The town of Augusta is boarded up. Typical small town ghost town. Think Mon Valley.

But the course is incredible. Hell even the pine needles seem to be raked!
We have friends that go every year and they leave their chairs in a certain place on a specific hole for the duration of their stay and no one moves or STEALS them.
How refreshing!
In lots of places you risk leaving a locked car overnight!
It is a special place!

Fyi I told everyone good old Charlie Hoffman would begin imploding once he realized he was out in front by a lot. That's his pattern.

Here's Charlie like one year ago.
He gets the lead goes home, the wife and Charlie have some win and smoke a few joints, Charlie realizes he's leading the tourney, developes wine and drug induced paranoid schizophrenia and promptly start dropping strokes so he can finish 3rd of 4th instead of winning. Nice wedge chunk shot yesterday Charlie sign of "choking."

Last edited:
I don't mean this to be a knock on golf but if you find golf, baseball, or nascar entertaining, you are legally forbidden to call soccer "too boring." I can totally understand how one can say soccer is boring but it is certainly no more boring than those other snoozefests. If you watch those sports, you can find other reasons to not like soccer but "too boring" cant be one.

I don't mean this to be a knock on golf but if you find golf, baseball, or nascar entertaining, you are legally forbidden to call soccer "too boring." I can totally understand how one can say soccer is boring but it is certainly no more boring than those other snoozefests. If you watch those sports, you can find other reasons to not like soccer but "too boring" cant be one.
I find baseball and golf entertaining but would rather take a shower with jerry Sandusky than watch soccer.. it's boring.. just an opinion, no better or worse than yours. if you find baseball or golf boring, I wont argue because guess what, we don't have to all agree..

accept our differences and don't worry about trying to make everyone agree with you. regarding nascar, I went to a Daytona 500 and it was entertaining... for about 12 minutes.. then you just stare at the eye candy around you in the stands.. nascar is like an "air show," you really don't want to admit it out loud because it could lead to a fatality but we all secretly hope for a crash, especially at an air show..

I find baseball and golf entertaining but would rather take a shower with jerry Sandusky than watch soccer.. it's boring.. just an opinion, no better or worse than yours. if you find baseball or golf boring, I wont argue because guess what, we don't have to all agree..

accept our differences and don't worry about trying to make everyone agree with you. regarding nascar, I went to a Daytona 500 and it was entertaining... for about 12 minutes.. then you just stare at the eye candy around you in the stands.. nascar is like an "air show," you really don't want to admit it out loud because it could lead to a fatality but we all secretly hope for a crash, especially at an air show..

Just curious. What do you find entertaining about baseball and golf? The slow pace makes me want to claw my eyes out. If you offered me $500, I am not sure I would watch the Final Round of the Masters for $500. I think I'd go crazy. I cant believe people watch that.

I get why people say soccer is boring but the reason I like is because its constant action, no timeouts, and every goal has som much significance because as we know, it might be the only one

Just curious. What do you find entertaining about baseball and golf? The slow pace makes me want to claw my eyes out. If you offered me $500, I am not sure I would watch the Final Round of the Masters for $500. I think I'd go crazy. I cant believe people watch that.

I get why people say soccer is boring but the reason I like is because its constant action, no timeouts, and every goal has som much significance because as we know, it might be the only one
I really enjoy the pitcher vs. batter one on one and I do enjoy the slow pace of baseball, no clock, it's unique. a tad of a cliché but it's about just relaxing, not this rah rah bs that you get in most other sports..

golf, i'll be first to admit, if you don't play it, it's probably tough to watch. I play, or attempt to at least, and I find it enjoyable to root for one or two guys. the players themselves make it enjoyable though, you need likeable or entertaining characters in golf to make it watchable. Before my time but players watched Jack and Arnie, players like Watson and player, even likeable guys like Chi Chi. Tiger was such a polarizing character that he brought in a whole generation of fans..

how you feel about the final round of the masters, that's how I feel about soccer. I kid you not, I watch it and I see them standing around mid field, literally doing nothing but kicking it back and forth sideline to sideline, and I think im on some sort of hidden camera show where any minute, someone is gonna jump out and laugh at me for fooling me into believing this is a real sport.

but again, that's my opinion as it is yours. you don't have to like all sports, you are allowed to like some and hate others.. it's cool, no one will be mad at you if you don't like golf just as im sure no one really cares if I don't like soccer.

Neither has a slow pace. Constant/steady pitches, hitters swinging, guys stealing bases, coaching sending in signals, infielders/outfielders constantly changing position, catcher sending signs to the pitchers, grounders, fly balls, etc. Busy game!
Golf guys teeing off all over others hitting second, third, fourth??, shots, putting going on all over, hole in ones, chip ins, long one putts, missed putts, hitting from the woods, from a stream, over a pond, strategy between caddy and player etc. Busy game!
Soccer snooozeeeeeeeeeee ball goes back and forth oh wow, I cant take this excitement, back n forth, OMG this is amazing, oh the games over 1-0.

Last edited:
C7tGpHEVQAQtM2F.jpg

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Love pitching. The matchup in a tight game, a pitcher trying to mix pitches and paint corners, the batter trying to guess and stay alive waiting for his pitch or a mistake. I think that is what is great with baseball. What I don't like is it is continually reduced into a game of probabilities and spreadsheets, taking alot of the human element out there.

Golf? Do you play golf? If you never golfed, I can understand. But seeing these guys skill sets and realize just how much better they are than the very best golfer you know. How far they can hit. How they can move a golfball. And the aesthetics from a course like the Masters just makes it beautiful.

"Action"? MMA has "action", but it sucks and it is for basic morons. Football bores most non Americans to tears because you can distill the 3 hours of game time to actually 20 minutes of action.

Love pitching. The matchup in a tight game, a pitcher trying to mix pitches and paint corners, the batter trying to guess and stay alive waiting for his pitch or a mistake. I think that is what is great with baseball. What I don't like is it is continually reduced into a game of probabilities and spreadsheets, taking alot of the human element out there.

Golf? Do you play golf? If you never golfed, I can understand. But seeing these guys skill sets and realize just how much better they are than the very best golfer you know. How far they can hit. How they can move a golfball. And the aesthetics from a course like the Masters just makes it beautiful.

That whole pitcher/batter "battle" is what bores the hell out of me about baseball, especially since the moneyball stat heads decided that the high % play was to play for a walk, and don't steal and don't take risks.

I golfed for maybe 25 years, now I'm on a streak of not having golfed for 5 years for various reasons, I may play again, I don't know. But since I'm not doing it, I have almost no interest to watch anymore.

Same with baseball, it's boring as hell to watch, but when I was playing softball every summer, I had more interest in baseball, but not by much.

I agree, I never played soccer as a kid, it didn't exist where I grew up and people just made fun of it, as an adult, at Pitt grad school, in my late 20s I got hooked up with some guys, asked me to play with them, ended up being GK on a team in rec leagues for 4 years, and had a lot of fun, then watching and coaching my daughter for 8-9 years, I really love it now, watch probably 10 full soccer games per every AB of baseball I watch. It's not boring at all, if you understand it, it's action packed, scoring does not = excitement.

I agree, I never played soccer as a kid, it didn't exist where I grew up and people just made fun of it, as an adult, at Pitt grad school, in my late 20s I got hooked up with some guys, asked me to play with them, ended up being GK on a team in rec leagues for 4 years, and had a lot of fun, then watching and coaching my daughter for 8-9 years, I really love it now, watch probably 10 full soccer games per every AB of baseball I watch. It's not boring at all, if you understand it, it's action packed, scoring does not = excitement.
scoring does not = excitement...........yeah, that is why the announcers have a freaking orgasm every time someone actually scores a goal. uh , yes it (along with near scores) does. Now, 60 yard meaningless kicks up the field back and forth for hours = utter boredom (thus the need to riot just to liven things up a bit).

scoring does not = excitement...........yeah, that is why the announcers have a freaking orgasm every time someone actually scores a goal. uh , yes it (along with near scores) does. Now, 60 yard meaningless kicks up the field back and forth for hours = utter boredom (thus the need to riot just to liven things up a bit).

Every kick means something, you just don't understand the game. And if the scores where like 10-9, scoring wouldn't be orgasmic.

I remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated about American ideas to make soccer more exciting. One was eliminate the goal keeper! the narrative said "Imagine the excitement of a 35-34 OT game!" Plays made by Goal Keepers are among the most exciting in soccer.

Meanwhile I'm sure you think a batter fouling of 10 straight pitches is thrilling and you're on the edge of your seat while the announcers tell stories that are unrelated to the actual game, because not enough goes on in the game to talk about.

Every kick means something, you just don't understand the game. And if the scores where like 10-9, scoring wouldn't be orgasmic.

I remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated about American ideas to make soccer more exciting. One was eliminate the goal keeper! the narrative said "Imagine the excitement of a 35-34 OT game!" Plays made by Goal Keepers are among the most exciting in soccer.

Meanwhile I'm sure you think a batter fouling of 10 straight pitches is thrilling and you're on the edge of your seat while the announcers tell stories that are unrelated to the actual game, because not enough goes on in the game to talk about.

It's a global plot to make weak, 3rd world countries feel important.

"Action"? MMA has "action", but it sucks and it is for basic morons. Football bores most non Americans to tears because you can distill the 3 hours of game time to actually 20 minutes of action.

I am not saying pro golfers arent amazingly skilled. Surely they are......its just not "exciting" to watch. Maybe you watch it because you admire their skill but I cant see anyone watching it for the excitement.

For example, lets say your favorite golfer needs a long shot to win a major. He makes it. OK, cool, he wins. Its not that exciting. When John Brooks scored the winner vs Ghana in the World Cup, I ran around my house screaming and I think my family thought I had to be committed. People all over the countries were forming impromptu mosh pits. I cant see that happening in golf. There is no excitement. And its actually forbidden to cheer loudly I think.

Baseball and hockey have similar moments of excitement and probably more than hockey but all 3 have very little meaningful "action" as compared to basketball. I'd suspect the actual live action in a baseball game is less than 5 minutes. I mean that's crazy. Honestly, if you condensed a baseball game down for me to 15 minutes, I might watch all 162 games. But I cant deal with 2 hours and 55 minutes of nothing.

Hockey is a cool sport, lots of action and excitement, I just dont particularly like it.

I am not saying pro golfers arent amazingly skilled. Surely they are......its just not "exciting" to watch. Maybe you watch it because you admire their skill but I cant see anyone watching it for the excitement.

For example, lets say your favorite golfer needs a long shot to win a major. He makes it. OK, cool, he wins. Its not that exciting. When John Brooks scored the winner vs Ghana in the World Cup, I ran around my house screaming and I think my family thought I had to be committed. People all over the countries were forming impromptu mosh pits. I cant see that happening in golf. There is no excitement. And its actually forbidden to cheer loudly I think.

Baseball and hockey have similar moments of excitement and probably more than hockey but all 3 have very little meaningful "action" as compared to basketball. I'd suspect the actual live action in a baseball game is less than 5 minutes. I mean that's crazy. Honestly, if you condensed a baseball game down for me to 15 minutes, I might watch all 162 games. But I cant deal with 2 hours and 55 minutes of nothing.

Hockey is a cool sport, lots of action and excitement, I just dont particularly like it.
you were excited about a sporting match with Ghana in it. Ghana.. did I hear that right, im assuming the US beat Ghana and you were excited.. Ghana? can someone confirm I read this correctly, he said Ghana?

you were excited about a sporting match with Ghana in it. Ghana.. did I hear that right, im assuming the US beat Ghana and you were excited.. Ghana? can someone confirm I read this correctly, he said Ghana?

Ghana is probably the best soccer nation in Africa and definitely more talented than the USA. They were a Luis Suarez handball away from the World Cup semis (one of the most controversial plays in soccer history) in 2010.

That's one of the beauties of international soccer. Its a global game played on every continent so you can have competitive teams from many different nations. Its not just the 5 or 6 countries for hockey or baseball or 7 or 8 for basketball. Ghana is a very well-respected soccer nation. Maybe the college football equivalent of a Virginia Tech.

Reactions: Swervin27

I really like golf. I admit. I am amazed. I don't need "ACTION", I don't particularly like action films. But I really like golf. I think another reason, it is them. There is no team. It is up to the golfer. And I know how nervewracking it is to stand over a 4 foot birdie putt for nothing more than bragging rights.....trying to control nerves. Just...I like golf.

No biggie if you don't. To each his own. I really don't hate soccer even though I like to make fun of soccer heads, but I just have the bandwith to give it on an international level. I can't get into the EPL or other Euro leagues or especially the US league I don't even know what is called.

Now NASCAR, now that is something I will make fun of.

SMF, NOTHING, and I MEAN NOTHING, is more action packed, nail biting than NHL playoff sudden death hockey. No commercials. Any moment the game could end, and sometimes it can last for hours. It is incredibly compelling.

Reactions: pitt-girl

SMF, NOTHING, and I MEAN NOTHING, is more action packed, nail biting than NHL playoff sudden death hockey. No commercials. Any moment the game could end, and sometimes it can last for hours. It is incredibly compelling.

I agree with that. One of my best sports moments was staying up till 3AM for the Nedved goal vs the Caps.

In a way though, that is how I kind of view an entire soccer match of a team I root for. 1 goal might win the game so the anticipation of that 1 goal is semi-similar to a goal in the Stanley cup OT. The difference being the hockey goal wins it where the 1 goal in soccer MIGHT win it. I mean, obviously the sudden death nature of hockey is without comparison but I guess I like the thought of a game being turned on its head by just 1 goal

I agree with that. One of my best sports moments was staying up till 3AM for the Nedved goal vs the Caps.

In a way though, that is how I kind of view an entire soccer match of a team I root for. 1 goal might win the game so the anticipation of that 1 goal is semi-similar to a goal in the Stanley cup OT. The difference being the hockey goal wins it where the 1 goal in soccer MIGHT win it. I mean, obviously the sudden death nature of hockey is without comparison but I guess I like the thought of a game being turned on its head by just 1 goal

Problems with soccer.....IMO.

1) it is not just low scoring, but the style of say the Italians when they just putz around and don't attack, relying on a lucky goal or so......give me scoring chances. Soccer for a 90 minute game doesn't have enough chances.
2) the reffing is curious at best.
3) the melodrama of someone getting tripped where is a guy in hockey could get his ankle broken and he is still trying to make a play.

I find hockey very similar to soccer, the objectives are kind of the same. Just somewhat different in the rules. Put something past a goalie, into a net, off sides, one has a blue line, the other has a moving line, hockey scores are bigger, more 5-4s and less 0-0s. I like both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT