ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jim Delaney parting shot at CFP

pittdan77

Athletic Director
Jan 5, 2011
The Vast Wasteland of Central Pennsylvania
Just spewing some thoughts...

It's interesting that he's still talking about the CFP as if the B1G is getting worked over. Even if there is some merit to his argument that there is schedule disparity (that OSU has suffered from playing UM, MSU, and PSU every year), it's not like he wasn't in a position to take steps to remedy the imbalance between B1G divisions. He also was okay with his conference sending a division runner-up to the CFP rather than value his conference champion.

I'm also starting to feel a little skeptical about this "all P5 conferences should mandate 10 P5 games" as a move towards competitive balance. I think this is really about financial leverage because not all P5 games are the same and OOC P5 games could end up being stacked. You can't really imagine a blue blood giving up that extra home game, can you? Would also add value to the conference TV networks. Maybe I'm just cynical but it feels like Pitt would be on the wrong side of this if the extra game had to be OOC.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...college-football-playoff-selection-committee/

Big ten is about as unbalanced as you can get. This isn’t cyclical either, it will always be unbalanced.

It’s their fault though, God forbid if tosu and Michigan dontvplay every year orvmich vs MSU isn’t an annual thing. The world would stop.

They want their annual rivalries and they complain about imbalance. Can’t have it both ways.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!

Time for the Big Loser 10 to get a new commissioner. Wasn’t he the guy that originally had the two divisions titled Legends and Leaders.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!

Yeah, I’m with the majority on this one. Jim Delany has acted out of self-interest for decades and has made himself and his league very wealthy and powerful in the process.

Nothing which has been enacted in college football over the past 30 years has come without the direct consent of both the Big Ten and the SEC. You have to remember that. Literally this entire system was shaped by Delany and Kramer and Slive, etc. Now, I’ll give you three guesses as to who the rules were designed to benefit most?

However, now that the worm has turned and things haven’t gone his way for a couple years in a row — out of like 30 — now of course we need to figure out a way to make things more equitable and fair.

cool-funny-middle-finger-jokes.jpg

As to the meat of Delany’s comments, again, they fall well short of solving any problems.

When you have a conference that has been so top-heavy like the Big Ten — and frankly, the ACC too — you leave yourself open to this.

However, every single year, at least half the Big Ten absolutely stinks.

Maybe Nebraska is on its way up again? We’ve certainly been sold that as a fact, even though they haven’t actually proven anything. However, maybe they are on their way back? However, for a long time, the Cornhuskers have stunk out loud.

When was the last time Illinois was decent? Indiana? Maryland? Minnesota? Freaking Rutgers?

Yeah, I get that Ohio State has been great and Penn State is resurgent and Michigan has been on the cusp of resurgence for a long time. Also, Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Iowa have built rock-solid programs. I have no criticisms of any of those schools. Still, that is a really weak underbelly and I could see why any neutral observer would be underwhelmed by it.

Then, you couple that with playing a bunch of out of conference games against MAC schools and it just exacerbates your problem.

Still, if were being honest, the real problem is the stupid system itself. You have just four spots for five power conferences. That means that someone is inherently going to be left out. And, in some years, more than one league is going to be left out. Delany just never expected it to be his league that was left out.

I'm also starting to feel a little skeptical about this "all P5 conferences should mandate 10 P5 games" as a move towards competitive balance. I think this is really about financial leverage because not all P5 games are the same and OOC P5 games could end up being stacked. You can't really imagine a blue blood giving up that extra home game, can you? Would also add value to the conference TV networks. Maybe I'm just cynical but it feels like Pitt would be on the wrong side of this if the extra game had to be OOC.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...college-football-playoff-selection-committee/

In regards to the 10 P5 games I would take it one step further...limit all schools to 6 home games. Any neutral site game counts towards both unless the venue is closer to one school and that school also gets to keep more than 80% of the revenue from the game. I would be willing to pay more per ticket to make up the lost revenue from one less home game to get a better quality game then have to sit through two additional rent a victim games.

F that guy. He weakened his league by adding Maryland and Rutgers though Maryland has come up to mediocre recently. He decided to do East/West divisions and there was not 1 time the CFP got it wrong. Nobody forced the Big Ten to schedule conference games or do anything they did.

Well....the B1G made a calculated gamble that Nebraska would come and rule the West and be a top 10 type of program along with occasional Wisky, setting up a high profile champ game between Nebraska and Ohio State/Michigan. Well that obviously did not happen, and aside from Wisky's redonkulous OOC schedule, the Big West is just as big of a joke as well, yours truly's division.

Also, just like the ACC, adding Miami and VT and thinking they would rise up and each year challenge FSU in a high profile champ game, well again, that never happened. Thank god for Clemson.

Just spewing some thoughts...

It's interesting that he's still talking about the CFP as if the B1G is getting worked over. Even if there is some merit to his argument that there is schedule disparity (that OSU has suffered from playing UM, MSU, and PSU every year), it's not like he wasn't in a position to take steps to remedy the imbalance between B1G divisions. He also was okay with his conference sending a division runner-up to the CFP rather than value his conference champion.

Pretty sure that a true top 4 team should win those games. Then they could get in the final 4 and get their asses handed to them by a real team. Screw that bag of feces.

In regards to the 10 P5 games I would take it one step further...limit all schools to 6 home games. Any neutral site game counts towards both unless the venue is closer to one school and that school also gets to keep more than 80% of the revenue from the game. I would be willing to pay more per ticket to make up the lost revenue from one less home game to get a better quality game then have to sit through two additional rent a victim games.
You are in the minority among PS fans. Your idea will not happen.

If they go based on equity:

I would say to separate these pairs:

OSU-Michigan
PSU-Wisconsin
Neb-Iowa
Maryland-MSU
Rutgers-Indiana
NW-Purdue
Min-Ill

I don't think that PJ Fleck has any more insight than anyone else. Pat Fitzgerald is blaming cell phones for poor attendance. He should probably check on what percent of NW's cut of B1G revenue comes from those things before he cries about attendance.

If they go based on equity:

I would say to separate these pairs:

OSU-Michigan
PSU-Wisconsin
Neb-Iowa
Maryland-MSU
Rutgers-Indiana
NW-Purdue
Min-Ill

That’s a really dangerous game to play because programs rise and fall all the time. For example, right now, Northwestern and Purdue are fairly comparable. However, for the past 10-15 years, Northwestern has been a way better program than Purdue.

Just looking at the resources available, it does appear that the East will always been stronger than the West. However, I have learned from experience that may not always be true.

Also, if you separate say, Ohio State and Michigan — that league’s two traditional bell cows. Is that really what you want to do? Let’s say they play in back-to-back weeks some year. Is that good for that conference? I’m not so sure.

I think you live with divisional imbalance and you hope that the West gets better. That makes the most sense to me.

That’s a really dangerous game to play because programs rise and fall all the time. For example, right now, Northwestern and Purdue are fairly comparable. However, for the past 10-15 years, Northwestern has been a way better program than Purdue.

Just looking at the resources available, it does appear that the East will always been stronger than the West. However, I have learned from experience that may not always be true.

Also, if you separate say, Ohio State and Michigan — that league’s two traditional bell cows. Is that really what you want to do? Let’s say they play in back-to-back weeks some year. Is that good for that conference? I’m not so sure.

I think you live with divisional imbalance and you hope that the West gets better. That makes the most sense to me.

If you look at the modern history of the B1G, there's a lot of bluster and expectations but how often has the conference seriously competed for a NC? Not many times and far fewer that didn't involve OSU. Heck, the writers wouldn't even support PSU in 1994.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT