ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Johnstown wrestler narrows college list to 52

Reactions: pittdan77
This is ridiculous. And for a non-revenue athlete that no one outside of Pennsyltucky will ever give 2 shits about.

He is the top recruit in the country. He is expected to get a 1 million NIL deal to the school of his choice. That school will be the school that pays the most. He also has a younger brother.

52 schools? That's hilarious considering there are only 79 schools in D1 wrestling. It would be like a football player announcing he has narrowed his list down to all of the P5 schools and eliminated the group of 5.

Reactions: Las Panteras
good-will-hunting-favorite-scene-5.jpg

Reactions: WillyDavis33
He is the top recruit in the country. He is expected to get a 1 million NIL deal to the school of his choice. That school will be the school that pays the most. He also has a younger brother.

Yea, I understand that but this is a it much. Announcing a list of 80 and cutting it by a few schools makes him seem like a complete douchebag. He is a non-revenue athlete no one cares about. I dont care if some Pedo is going to give him $1 million. He is insignificant to 99.99999% of Americans and should act that way.

Also, how old is this kid? The other post said they changed the rule for him. Im getting so sick of everyone getting held back for sports. Its out of control. Now, if you are born in the spring, you start school when you are 6 turning 7. Eligibility should go by age to get this under control. If you are born in June or later, then fine, you can be 19 years old at the very end of your Senior season. But if you are born in March, April, May, then no. You shouldn't be 19 years old playing regular season baseball.

He could do that without acting like a douchebag eliminating schools like Long Island and Appalachian State. Kid sounds like Penn State material to me.
Why do you care? You clicked and shared the article so you're contributing to the clicks and attention. You could just breeze on past it but for some reason you're butt hurt over it. Honestly, who cares where he goes and what he does?

The other post said they changed the rule for him. Im getting so sick of everyone getting held back for sports. Its out of control. Now, if you are born in the spring, you start school when you are 6 turning 7. Eligibility should go by age to get this under control. If you are born in June or later, then fine, you can be 19 years old at the very end of your Senior season. But if you are born in March, April, May, then no. You shouldn't be 19 years old playing regular season baseball.
you can't be 19 before the start of your senior season and have eligibility.

Wrestlers have probably been some of the biggest culprits when it comes to reclassing.

Wrestlers have probably been some of the biggest culprits when it comes to reclassing.
I'd be fine with changing the rule that on your 19th birthday and thereafter, your high school eligibility for sports is over. You can take however long you need for academics in order to graduate, I don't care if you're 21, but HS athletics stops immediately at 19.

If he’s the top recruit in the country, is from PA and doesn’t go to Penn State to wrestle for Cael Sanderson then he’s not very smart.

Reactions: bdur76

That's not true. You cant turn 19 on July 1, I believe it is. You just cant be 20 during the academic fiscal year, which I think ends on June 30.

So a player could be 19 competing in the baseball state tournament in mid-June about to turn 20 a week or 2 later on July 1.

That family and kid are going to be one royal headache for whoever gets him. His dad is a PIA and the most self serving prick there ever was. All about self promotion.

Remember the three Clauson brothers who played QB? The dad held the oldest back one year. He held the middle child, Rick, back two years. (I think he plated at Tulane.) He held the youngest, Casey, back three years. When he was a freshman at Notre Dame, he was as old as some of the seniors.

He was the most highly touted, but never reached the level people expected, in part because he was already near his peak potential when he graduated from HS. Not solely because of age but because that was a family whose dad (a HS coach and former QB) taught great fundamentals to 3 sons who were good, but not great, athletes. None of them had the physical makeup to be great.

That family and kid are going to be one royal headache for whoever gets him. His dad is a PIA and the most self serving prick there ever was. All about self promotion.

I know nothing about the situation but anyone who announces a list of 80 schools and eliminates 5 teams a week can't possibly have good parenting. I'm sure dad was the star QB who never amounted to anything but somehow his son hit the DNA lottery so now he can live his life through his son in some sport nobody cares about.

Reactions: WCC946
Yea, I understand that but this is a it much. Announcing a list of 80 and cutting it by a few schools makes him seem like a complete douchebag. He is a non-revenue athlete no one cares about. I dont care if some Pedo is going to give him $1 million. He is insignificant to 99.99999% of Americans and should act that way.

Also, how old is this kid? The other post said they changed the rule for him. Im getting so sick of everyone getting held back for sports. Its out of control. Now, if you are born in the spring, you start school when you are 6 turning 7. Eligibility should go by age to get this under control. If you are born in June or later, then fine, you can be 19 years old at the very end of your Senior season. But if you are born in March, April, May, then no. You shouldn't be 19 years old playing regular season baseball.
Yes, it is a bit much. But you have to realize how good this kid is. He won the WORLD championship before he ever entered high school. He is a phenom.

Remember the three Clauson brothers who played QB? The dad held the oldest back one year. He held the middle child, Rick, back two years. (I think he plated at Tulane.) He held the youngest, Casey, back three years. When he was a freshman at Notre Dame, he was as old as some of the seniors.

He was the most highly touted, but never reached the level people expected, in part because he was already near his peak potential when he graduated from HS. Not solely because of age but because that was a family whose dad (a HS coach and former QB) taught great fundamentals to 3 sons who were good, but not great, athletes. None of them had the physical makeup to be great.
The big difference with Bo is he is dominating at his age level in freestyle, he is on the U20 world team as an 18 year old.

Yes, it is a bit much. But you have to realize how good this kid is. He won the WORLD championship before he ever entered high school. He is a phenom.

Wasnt it an age group championship though? I am sure the kid is as good as advertised but he isnt the best wrestler in the world at his weight class, is he?

Wasnt it an age group championship though? I am sure the kid is as good as advertised but he isnt the best wrestler in the world at his weight class, is he?
Yes. He was. Won it overseas somewhere. It was big news around these parts.

He won at the Cadet age bracket. There are several divisions for Worlds.

Here is Bo Bassett winning the 2022 Cadet World Wrestling Championship Gold Medal in the 45 kg class against a Russian wrestler ......

At the Cadet level. He is not the best in world in the SR division. Pump the brakes there

That's what I thought. Age group championship. This isnt LeBron James or Messi, who you could argue was the best player in the world at age 20, which it sounds like the age this "kid" is approaching.

That's what I thought. Age group championship. This isnt LeBron James or Messi, who you could argue was the best player in the world at age 20, which it sounds like the age this "kid" is approaching.
He will be wrestling later this year at the U20 World Championships.

I know nothing about the situation but anyone who announces a list of 80 schools and eliminates 5 teams a week can't possibly have good parenting. I'm sure dad was the star QB who never amounted to anything but somehow his son hit the DNA lottery so now he can live his life through his son in some sport nobody cares about.
His dad and the Bassetts in general are assholes. I’m from around Johnstown and knew Beau’s uncle Jack. Dickhead. But Beaus father is the worst.

And unfortunately my 8 year old son wrestles for Young Guns too and receives all the promotional crap from them for tshirts and shit.

His dad and the Bassetts in general are assholes. I’m from around Johnstown and knew Beau’s uncle Jack. Dickhead. But Beaus father is the worst.

And unfortunately my 8 year old son wrestles for Young Guns too and receives all the promotional crap from them for tshirts and shit.
What do you think of Bo talent wise?

What do you think of Bo talent wise?
O Beau is unbelievable talent wise. He is the best Under 18 kid there is. The Strittmatters trained him well. No knock on them. He is on the wall memorialized at the Young Guns Ranch in Ebensburg.

I just don’t like his dad and uncle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT