ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lightening won back 2 back and NBC exits the NHL

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Alot of weird emotions last night watching that final. First off, I don't think I remember a final where the one team so outclassed the other team more than this matchup. Oh sure, there have been sweeps, but this was a team (Montreal) who in normal divisional play, would have never made the playoffs. (just like last year)

Speaking of last year, Dallas was not much an opponent either. So in the space of a year, Tampa has won back to back cups, having to beat Dallas and Montreal in doing so. And because of the circumstances, avoided teams like Boston and the Western powers (Vegas and Colorado).

That being said, Tampa is so good, I would put them as the favorites to three peat. They are loaded, somehow (ahem) have kept all their prime pieces within the salary cap (somehow). But they have the best goalie, the best defenseman, and two of the best 10 forwards in the game in Kucherov and Point. And they return them all, and none of them are yet 30. Steve Yzerman did a fantastic job building this team.

And also, NBC has now exited it for Turner/ESPN. I am not sure about this, how I feel. On one respect seeing NBCSN being so hard to get on different cable platforms when I travel, that could be a good thing. Maybe now ESPN/TNT gives it a more broader reach. But...I am dubious if they are going to take this any more seriously than they did before. I do think ESPN might be more influential on the NHL leadership to start making it "less Canadian", and start promoting the stars. Call the rules.

I also realize it will always be a niche sport, which scares me because ESPN can bury this into just streaming material and eff off you casual fans. Or they can turn it into a clown show, but perhaps it needs it.

This sport needs some personality. Sidney Crosby, who has been the face of the league is as exciting as a piece of broiled chicken. Great guy, well spoken, but boring, just as Wayne Gretzky was. Connor McDavid, makes Sidney Crosby seem like Charles Barkley in comparison, he is pure white bread with the crusts cut off. The NHL needs more of this. Enjoy.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News