ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Masters Ratings

NFL ratings are down due to politics. Masters ratings were down due to NFL, whose ratings are down due to politics

Reactions: Dan1911
My eyes just wanted to see Paulina..
she is so hot, it makes me sick. dustin johnson has the life man, golf, paulina and cocaine. sign me up for that any day..

regarding masters, i watched and was quite entertained. My boy Phil wasnt in mix which was dissapointing and that dechambeau guy wasnt a fraction of what he has been telling us all he is but there were still alot of big names in the hunt..

course looked nice, the coverage was excellent as always. surprised ratings were down to be honest. thinking about it, i would have predicted ratings for live sports would have been up across the board with us all sitting at home doing nothing but that's not been the case.

I think it's naive to point to one thing or the other. probably a mix of multiple reasons why, just cant for the life of me figure it out..

Reactions: PittFanDan17
she is so hot, it makes me sick. dustin johnson has the life man, golf, paulina and cocaine. sign me up for that any day..

regarding masters, i watched and was quite entertained. My boy Phil wasnt in mix which was dissapointing and that dechambeau guy wasnt a fraction of what he has been telling us all he is but there were still alot of big names in the hunt..

course looked nice, the coverage was excellent as always. surprised ratings were down to be honest. thinking about it, i would have predicted ratings for live sports would have been up across the board with us all sitting at home doing nothing but that's not been the case.

I think it's naive to point to one thing or the other. probably a mix of multiple reasons why, just cant for the life of me figure it out..
Yeah. What he said.

It sucked. I mean DJ deserved it, and definitely should be a multiple major winner, he is the best player in the world and has been for awhile. But when a guy like that is literally running away, there is no drama.

Aside from the pure aesthetics, the best thing about the Masters is the course design, how small it is and small distance between holes, and if you have watched golf over the years, you know the course. The best thing is on Sunday especially, you can read the roars in the background from the crowds and kind of know what happened before CBS cuts to it.

there is something pretty cool about early april with the masters. end of a usually long winter, no real sports going on outside of hockey, so no real sports and then you get to turn on and see beautiful golf course and know that spring is finally here and winter is behind you..

Reactions: DrTongue
Non-golfer here. I will tune into the Masters in the spring because it's eye candy. The course is beautiful that time of the year and generally, there's not much else to do if the weather is still crap here. To be honest, I didn't even know it was being played until I was looking for a game to watch late Saturday afternoon. Thought it was just some sort of goofy filler, replay, at first. Probably more people like me than anything.

They were the best ratings of any golf event in 2020. Paul Harvey would be proud of "the rest of the story".

NFL ratings are down due to politics. Masters ratings were down due to NFL, whose ratings are down due to politics
Why didn’t all those who are avoiding the NFL due to politics, as you contend, watch the Masters instead? It’s ratings should have benefited.

I saw the Masters ratings were the lowest they've been since 1957. Must have been all that SJW stuff, right?

Or maybe, just maybe, ratings in all sports are down this year...
They don't play football in April.

I mean -
I used to live and die for watching
Now- meh - if my kid wants to watch The mandolarian instead of the Pitt game - i let him
I’ll dvr or steam it later
Yeah, I mean it. This is a very interesting take and now that I hear it, makes a lot of sense with the lower ratings on sporting events across the board.

Yeah, I mean it. This is a very interesting take and now that I hear it, makes a lot of sense with the lower ratings on sporting events across the board.
The cord cutters lost
But the streaming services exploded during this pandemic

Appointment viewing is dead

I watched less than 3 hours combined of the masters. Mostly I worked Thursday and Friday ( so between helping the kid with remote homework , the puppy , and actually working from home )
Hit balls at the range Friday after work

Saturday I went golfing
Caught an hour or so before

Sunday clicked on for a bit - let my son play video games and then the stillers game

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Yep, you are right. Just the same no NFL games to dilute the viewing audience.
Their normal placement is optimal for tv ratings, just before NHL and NBA playoffs start (or have just started) and right after the NCAA Tourney ends. Plus, everyone watching the NCAA Tourney is bombarded with ads for it.

I saw the Masters ratings were the lowest they've been since 1957. Must have been all that SJW stuff, right?

Or maybe, just maybe, ratings in all sports are down this year...

I watched all day Sunday because I really like DJ. Visually the broadcast was different to me and it took me a while to figure out why. I had become so used to the grandstands and crowds, that an empty golf course missing bleachers looked so odd to me. A lot of the holes did not seem the same.

I watched all day Sunday because I really like DJ. Visually the broadcast was different to me and it took me a while to figure out why. I had become so used to the grandstands and crowds, that an empty golf course missing bleachers looked so odd to me. A lot of the holes did not seem the same.
It did. But in some ways, it also highlighted how truly beautiful the course is. Because there wasn't grandstands and "patrons" standing and lining the fairways and greens.

But that is the one course (outside of the crazy course in Phoenix and a Ryder Cup) where the crowds really add to it. For example, obviously they can't show every golfer in real time. And say the leaderboard on Sunday has like DJ at -10, Rory at -9, Phil at -8, Justin at -8, and Phil is playing 15, and they are showing Dustin lining up a par putt on 12 and all of a sudden you hear a thunderous roar......you know Mickelson eagled 15.

Add in the drone shots and that place is spectacular. I recall many many years ago the poor camera angle at the 9th hole shot over the crowd. Also didn’t realize the 15th was basically surrounded by water until recently. Google Earth and these drones have really depicted things that have changed the way I respect the course and the skill level.

Reactions: Millerton

I haven't played golf in almost 25 years (I REALLY stunk at it), but I'll watch the Majors and maybe some of the college championships a bit. With DJ in command, my must-see Tv was Paulina on the 18th green. Holy Wendy Peffercorn, Batman.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Add in the drone shots and that place is spectacular. I recall many many years ago the poor camera angle at the 9th hole shot over the crowd. Also didn’t realize the 15th was basically surrounded by water until recently. Google Earth and these drones have really depicted things that have changed the way I respect the course and the skill level.
This may have changed some in recent years with the different coverages and viewpoints they provide, but I have heard from people being there that the one thing you didn't appreciate from TV is the elevation changes and undulations on the course. As for its beauty, if I'm not mistaken the course was built upon the grounds of a tree nursery. It has also been altered to some degree to improve the aesthetics. For instance, I believe the pond in front of 16 was essentially man made from a small stream that ran through there.

This may have changed some in recent years with the different coverages and viewpoints they provide, but I have heard from people being there that the one thing you didn't appreciate from TV is the elevation changes and undulations on the course. As for its beauty, if I'm not mistaken the course was built upon the grounds of a tree nursery. It has also been altered to some degree to improve the aesthetics. For instance, I believe the pond in front of 16 was essentially man made from a small stream that ran through there.
maybe this is the video gamer in me speaking but i'd love to see an aerial view of the tee shots with the ball tracers.. think that would be a cool graphic.

Obviously tough to do real time, since you dont have a camera 200' in the sky above every fairway but maybe even a computer graphic after with the trace of the ball showing how the drive went compared to the other golfers..

i dont know, again, maybe thats just the video game mindset and would annoy the purists..

Played it in 2015. Amazing Place. Think I spent close to 10k in pro shop, about 25% was mine, rest was friends and family. Took a video of All items in shop, sent out, then waited for orders.

So did the NBA finals but that didn't stop people from pointing to the social justice messaging as the cause of the ratings decline.
the masters did not have the most dominant and popular player in contention.. The NBA did. Ratings would have soared had Tiger been in the hunt even against the NFL...Now, do you want to discuss how LeBron drove those NBA ratings through the roof this year? There is a reason that Silver put an end to the politicking next year and it is not because of covid viewer complacency...

Reactions: Millerton
the masters did not have the most dominant and popular player in contention..ratings would have soared had Tiger been in the hunt even against the NFL...Now, do you want to discuss how LeBron drove those NBA ratings through the roof this year?
i dont know, i think we are getting past the days of tiger carrying the ratings. Would tiger and to a lesser extend, Phil in the last pairing really help ratings that much in 2020? IF it was 2013, absolutely but now?

Truth is, the best golfers in the world currently were in the mix for the masters this year.. DJ is the # 1 golfer, Rahm the big oaf is too, as is justin thomas, cantley, Rory, Koepka. I mean this masters had so many of the top golfers in the mix. DeChambeau not really but he wasnt too far out.

I love Phil and i actually do root for Tiger but i think the days of them needing to be in on it on Sunday for viewership is outdated.

facts are, phil and tiger's best golf is well behind them. we will see it in short glimpses but the days of them consistently competing are gone. hell, phil could be on sr tour next year and tiger is only a few years out too. these younger guys are the future and the Present of the tour.. kinda sucks cause i dont even really like any of them..

i dont know, i think we are getting past the days of tiger carrying the ratings. Would tiger and to a lesser extend, Phil in the last pairing really help ratings that much in 2020? IF it was 2013, absolutely but now?

Truth is, the best golfers in the world currently were in the mix for the masters this year.. DJ is the # 1 golfer, Rahm the big oaf is too, as is justin thomas, cantley, Rory, Koepka. I mean this masters had so many of the top golfers in the mix. DeChambeau not really but he wasnt too far out.

I love Phil and i actually do root for Tiger but i think the days of them needing to be in on it on Sunday for viewership is outdated. these younger guys are the future and the Present of the tour.. kinda sucks cause i dont even really like any of them..
You are 100% wrong.

Put Tiger in the Final Group then get back to us.
Tiger Hater
Tiger Lover
Doesn’t matter which.. they all tune in no matter what, either to see him fail or succeed. DJ, Cantlay and the others you mentioned are the most boring personalities on TV, they will not carry any ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT