ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBA Thread

It is a small list of guys that were this elite at 35. Jordan and Kareem come immediately to mind.

Another I would submit is Tim Duncan, who was basically elite until his last few years though the Spurs heavily diminished his minutes by 35 (he went down 12 MPG from ages 25 to 35). Kareem was better at 35 though, I think.

Steve Nash was historically great for efficiency at 35. He was a PG monster at that stage, just like Chris Paul has managed to be now but Nash was more efficient (historically so for his position).

Hakeem and Kobe put in their last great seasons at 34. Hakeem sustained for awhile after then while the Achilles injury took Kobe out at 34.

At the end of the day, at 35, it is LeBron and Michael/Michael and LeBron. But, it is that way for much of basketball history now.

LeBron is arguably the most special athlete ever, as is Jordan. Watching him is a special thing; just enjoy it while it lasts.

I would be remiss if I didn't add Stockton and Malone to this list because their longevity is really an amazing outlier. I typically hate cherry picked stats but I think that this one is pretty interesting...only three players have ever averaged over .2 WS/48 and over 5.0 VORP in a season at 35 or older and none of them are Kareem, Michael, Kobe, David Robinson, or Tim Duncan. Instead it is LeBron this season, Malone twice, and Stockton twice (including at 38 years old!). That's really impressive stuff.

LeBron though has really been something this year, I always expected him to evolve into more of a point forward later in his career but I don't know that I expected a league leading 49.5% assist rate. That's really just a testament to his work ethic.

Cool. Then this isn't the thread for you.

I'm always amazed by people's need to self insert on the internet. I don't go into the classic rock thread and say that it is garbage because that's just my opinion, man and it isn't a thread for me.

I would be remiss if I didn't add Stockton and Malone to this list because their longevity is really an amazing outlier. I typically hate cherry picked stats but I think that this one is pretty interesting...only three players have ever averaged over .2 WS/48 and over 5.0 VORP in a season at 35 or older and none of them are Kareem, Michael, Kobe, David Robinson, or Tim Duncan. Instead it is LeBron this season, Malone twice, and Stockton twice (including at 38 years old!). That's really impressive stuff.

LeBron though has really been something this year, I always expected him to evolve into more of a point forward later in his career but I don't know that I expected a league leading 49.5% assist rate. That's really just a testament to his work ethic.

I'm always amazed by people's need to self insert on the internet. I don't go into the classic rock thread and say that it is garbage because that's just my opinion, man and it isn't a thread for me.

America is packed to the gills with ignorant selfish people these days.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

I might argue that there's a specific trigger that prompts people to insert into NBA discussions. But I also really like this thread and don't want to see it turn into the Locker Room.

I would be remiss if I didn't add Stockton and Malone to this list because their longevity is really an amazing outlier.

Yes. And just saying I feel bad I didn't mention them and Duncan and Nash, especially since Duncan MAY be my favorite NBA player of all time and Nash is a favorite too.

I haven't actually watched a full NBA game in 15 or 20 years. I've tried a half-dozen times, but I just can't seem to stick with it. Well with all this time on my hands I think I'm going to have to do something about that.

What are the suggestions here about how I should pop my NBA cherry and really get into this game that's supposed to be so much better than when I quit watching? Which game should I start with and why? How should I watch this new game? What should I look for?

I haven't actually watched a full NBA game in 15 or 20 years. I've tried a half-dozen times, but I just can't seem to stick with it. Well with all this time on my hands I think I'm going to have to do something about that.

What are the suggestions here about how I should pop my NBA cherry and really get into this game that's supposed to be so much better than when I quit watching? Which game should I start with and why? How should I watch this new game? What should I look for?

Man, I wish that I had seen this earlier because I would have said Blazers/Grizz. We're basically at a point in the NBA where guard play is just so sophisticated and untethered now that if you want a "primer" game just tune into anything with really good guard play. Lillard vs. Morant is just the best tv that you will see in all of sport in my opinion.

Naturally Celtics/Bucks is banging tonight as well but that's a no brainer because we're talking about the best players in the game.

Just pick any game really and decide what you like most as you get exposed to more.

I was getting back into the NBA pre pandemic and it’s unbelievable how good these guys are. Even the “bad” teams. And it wasn’t that I didn’t know it. But seeing it - it’s almost a different game than college hoops.

I love watching Westbrook play. He’s so damn angry on the court.

it’s a shame watching Russ means I have to watch Harden too.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
I love watching Westbrook play. He’s so damn angry on the court.

it’s a shame watching Russ means I have to watch Harden too.

My guy is on fire tonight though.

I really think that the bubble is going to lead to some crazy shooting percentages, the shooting backdrop seems insanely ideal.

Doncic is the most natural young basketball player in a long time. I imagine at one point in the future that people will ask the same question about him that they have with Michael Jordan over the last 35 years, which is how did he go 3rd in a draft?

Doncic is the most natural young basketball player in a long time. I imagine at one point in the future that people will ask the same question about him that they have with Michael Jordan over the last 35 years, which is how did he go 3rd in a draft?

I literally just asked that same question of my brother, how could you pass on the only ever 18 year old European player of the year for a "safer" pick?

Defense is optional in this Dallas-Houston game. First team to 150 wins.

Last edited:
I've posted about my hate-watching of Skip Bayless but he was in rare anti-LeBron form last night. No credit for scoring the game winning basket and no credit for playing tough D on Kawhi and PG to close out the game.

LeBron's on-ball defense and rotations were superb. It's infuriating that people disrespect him; he's easily one of the top 2 ever and you could make a plausible argument for #1.

Reactions: Ski11585

Tonight I would probably watch Pelicans-Clippers at 6 or Lakers-Raptors at 8:30. (I'm a Sixers fan but their roster is really an outlier in the NBA so you probably shouldn't start with them).

The thing you'll notice after watching college hoops is that the NBA is just so much more talented.

- Everyone, and I mean everyone, can hit an open 3.
- The physical skills are outrageous. For example, Ben Simmons is 6'11" and will bring the ball the whole way up the court in 3 seconds.
- The basketball IQs are also a lot higher - you'll see incredible defensive rotations happen automatically and naturally (watch highlights of LeBron on Thursday night clamping Kawhi first, then rotating to Paul George and pushing him almost to half court: the Clippers never stood a chance).

Reactions: CougarClaws
I’ll disagree
As someone who watched Pitt play like garbage more often than not
I am not saying the players in the pros aren't overall more talented, I am just saying there is alot of slough in the NFL, especially teams without QB's.

But to make this more relevant to this thread....look at the late 80's and the Pistons football on the court, the NBA was awful then, the college game actually had some degree of flow once they put in the 3 point line and shot clock. Then Jordan came and elevated the NBA.

I honestly forgot about them, but their sustainability (especially Malone's) was quite remarkable.

I would think that LeBron's next progression should be a little deeper into the post. But, I mean, he still is as elite as most anyone facing guys up off the dribble. He is just phenomenal really.

I think if he and AD stay healthy, beating the Lakers is going to be incredibly difficult. They look completely focused and the pieces fit very well.

The Clippers can go off from time to time with already high level play and the Bucks have great performance consistently night in and night out but the Lakers can always truncate the game into an AD and LeBron possession by possession nightmare which no one really has an answer for. And, they have guys around them that can hit open shots and willingly play roles.

It also appears that Kuzma may have taken the step forward that the Lakers bet on with him and that just eases the game for LeBron much more.

man. Did OKC hit the rebuilding lottery. Lost PG and Russ, get all those picks, and maybe have a better all around team.

This. The quality of NBA games is vastly superior to college games anymore. College games “play better defense” because the kids lack talent. Not because there is actually better defense.

Thank you. I’ve been saying this to @Sean Miller Fan for a long time. College kids can’t score that’s why the defense looks better.

man. Did OKC hit the rebuilding lottery. Lost PG and Russ, get all those picks, and maybe have a better all around team.

I think that they just have very good management. They made one very bad move (Harden) and just were snakebitten with some other things. But, they know talent and how to put together a roster, for certain.

I am not saying the players in the pros aren't overall more talented, I am just saying there is alot of slough in the NFL, especially teams without QB's.

But to make this more relevant to this thread....look at the late 80's and the Pistons football on the court, the NBA was awful then, the college game actually had some degree of flow once they put in the 3 point line and shot clock. Then Jordan came and elevated the NBA.
I liked the bad boys. No easy hoops. Games in the 80's.

I think that they just have very good management. They made one very bad move (Harden) and just were snakebitten with some other things. But, they know talent and how to put together a roster, for certain.

Yeah, Presti is legitimately one of the best in the business for a good reason. Anyone can just dump assets for draft capital but turning Westbrook, George, Anthony, and Grant into four legitimately good NBA players and 7 first round picks takes a certain degree of talent. The bidding war that he got going for Paul George was ludicrous and guarantees a great chance to be good for a decade.

Yeah, Presti is legitimately one of the best in the business for a good reason. Anyone can just dump assets for draft capital but turning Westbrook, George, Anthony, and Grant into four legitimately good NBA players and 7 first round picks takes a certain degree of talent. The bidding war that he got going for Paul George was ludicrous and guarantees a great chance to be good for a decade.

I like Paul George a lot but I do not think he is a #1 option/player come deep in the playoffs; he may be a superstar but he needs to play off someone else. It is just his personality. And, for all the stat accumulation, I do not think Westbrook is a #1 type guy either though his stats are legendary in the raw sense. So, they were in a level of second round/conference finals purgatory with those guys.

For George they received an absolute ransom, with a potential star/immediate contributor in SGA and a very solid NBA player in Gallinari. And then with Westbrook, they get arguably the best pure PG of his era, a guy that just makes everyone much better though evidently some guys just cannot stand him from time to time. And a ton of draft picks accumulated from both trades.

The crazy thing with the George trade is that it worked well for both sides because the Clips have that #1 guy in Kawhi, who can allow George to play more settled, and they had the ancillary pieces already present. And the Thunder get a base to build a team on top of their other assets that either are their's by right or accumulation.

I love seeing the Finals level intensity from the first quarter of the Lakers/Raptors game. What the Raps have done this year is very impressive when you consider that the only player two players to play in over 85% of their games are Terence Davis and OG Anunoby.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I love seeing the Finals level intensity from the first quarter of the Lakers/Raptors game. What the Raps have done this year is very impressive when you consider that the only player two players to play in over 85% of their games are Terence Davis and OG Anunoby.

How much of that is Nick Nurse? To my untrained eye there isn’t a better coach out there right now.

How much of that is Nick Nurse? To my untrained eye there isn’t a better coach out there right now.

33% Nurse, 33% Ujiri, and 33% the fact that they have the gym rattiest team of gym rats to ever rat. Their player development systems are second to none, their depth is absurd, and if you don't play basketball the Raptor way you aren't going to stick around long. It's just a great study of how to build a team for the longterm in a less than desirable market.

3e7dvu6.gif

Raptors back off to a great start. Think the layoff actually really helps them given the age of some of their guys. Hoping for a repeat! Unlikely but more likely than I felt going into the season.

Hoping the Spurs somehow sneak in to keep their postseason streak alive. Unlikely though.

I like Portland to grab that 8th seed in the West. They're team is much better with the bigs healthy.

NBA has done a phenomenal job with this bubble. Feels like Olympic basketball but somehow bigger and better.

Hard not to pull a little for the Heat and especially OKC. Pretty remarkable stories there.

I have obviously watched more hockey, because that is my favorite sport. But I have enjoyed and liked the set up I have seen with the NBA games. And it blows my mind how wildly streaky NBA games can be. The ebbs and flow are amazing.

OH....one big complaint. The Black Lives Matter uniforms. Now wait, I am not talking politically here, I am talking functionally. Someone like me, who admittedly doesn't follow the NBA that strongly, I know who Harden is, or Lebron just by sight. But so many of these players, I know who they are, but I don't KNOW who they are without their names. And it is pretty hard to follow and sometimes I am..."oh that's...so and so...."

So the BLM labels on the back of the uniforms is not helping me identify the players.

Great weekend for the NBA. Majority of the national tv games had a dramatic ending.

Just checked the schedule and saw that there will afternoon and evening games everyday during the week. This is great!
Yeah! It's a lot of fun. Can't wait until everyone's back to full strength. Lotta quality guys sitting with minor injuries as a precaution.

Starting to wonder if Rockets small ball can make a run. They're down Gordon too. Easily their third best after their two superstars.

OH....one big complaint. The Black Lives Matter uniforms. Now wait, I am not talking politically here, I am talking functionally. Someone like me, who admittedly doesn't follow the NBA that strongly, I know who Harden is, or Lebron just by sight. But so many of these players, I know who they are, but I don't KNOW who they are without their names. And it is pretty hard to follow and sometimes I am..."oh that's...so and so...."

So the BLM labels on the back of the uniforms is not helping me identify the players.
Ha! Actually thought the same. I do know most of them though. But, still... Yeah.

Of course, totally support the move. I actually love that players have their message on back on their uniforms in their native language. One German dude for the Mavs has an 18 letter word.

Google the roster and watch the numbers
Or just listen to the announcers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT