ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Pittsburgh Maulers Colors

It makes sense, but part of me is sad that they’re departing from their “original” look. I somehow got a Maulers helmet from my uncle growing up and thought it was the coolest thing. They were the only football team to make purple look good. ;)

It makes sense, but part of me is sad that they’re departing from their “original” look. I somehow got a Maulers helmet from my uncle growing up and thought it was the coolest thing. They were the only football team to make purple look good. ;)
maulers unis in 80's were sweet, i really disliked the modern ones last year.

1984: The Year I Decided to Loved the Pittsburgh Maulers. Unconditionally

Eh. Too bad. Good business? I guess. But cowardice.

I remember vague buzz as a kid around the time the Penguins also switched to black and gold…that Pitt sports should do the same.

I’ve definitely had love-hate (more of the latter) with some of the color variations of blue and yellow/gold we’ve had over the decades… but I’m glad we stayed true, sorta, to the school’s colors, and not just another me-too conformance.

I had a Maulers long sleeve T-shirt growing up, by the time I was old enough to fit into it the Maulers were long gone so it was probably a hand-me-down from one of my mom's friends' kids. The Maulers logo is a really solid logo.

Indeed. These were solid.

It’s dubious to try to build buzz and market share for a bad product by piggy backing on a successful one (or merely slapping something totally new together, like Steve Pederson did). Make the product better, heck, at least palatable, and their look would have resonated…then and now.

This all said, this Maulers venture is doomed either way like all those before it, so clearly we’re pretty bored to pay attention to it 😄

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Not only was the one from last year a bad look, but the uniform itself just doesn’t look professional. Looks like it was made by Riddell or something (no disrespect), as if they were a Pop Warner team.

Reactions: pittdan77
Not only was the one from last year a bad look, but the uniform itself just doesn’t look professional. Looks like it was made by Riddell or something (no disrespect), as if they were a Pop Warner team.
couldnt agree more. really awful unis last year. they could have kept a very similar look, given it a tiny update from the 80s' look but they mucked it up pretty bad..

Obviously, the reason is they will probably sell more merchandise this way.

The Pittsburgh Wannabes!
Eh. Sure I guess. They wannabe relevant.

I remember listening to Maulers games on my favorite radio station at the time WAMO 105.9.

Best two radio stations in Pittsburgh history.
WAMO 105.9
WXXP 100.7

WAMO introduced me to such fine musical acts like Oaktown 357, World Class Wreckin Cru and Keith Sweat

WXXP introduced me to The Cure, Depeche Mode and New Order.

Amazingly, between both iterations of "the Maulers" I haven't watched any games, even like not even a quarter.

Why settle for the cheap facsmile of when I have the real thing.

Amazingly, between both iterations of "the Maulers" I haven't watched any games, even like not even a quarter.

Why settle for the cheap facsmile of when I have the real thing.
I would think their target market is people that want to watch football, any football at a time of year when there isn't much football. I probably watched a dozen USFL games at least last year and zero regular season MLB games the last 30 years.

serious question. why cant they find a venue in Pittsburgh to play? They are playing in canton ohio? What sense does that make?

you cant make an offer to RMU stadium to play 5 games in the spring? Hell, Highmark stadium would be big enough. remember, this isnt your dad's USFL. 4k - 5k is all they are getting on a good day..

"A few" sounds about right.
You're right, I doubt it will ever be very popular, but unlike the last few spring football leagues it survived into the 2nd year. I hope these leagues last. There're no other sports that time of year that I really care about. I quit watching the NHL the day the Pens are eliminated, I quit watching basketball when the NCAA Tournament ends, I haven't watched baseball for 30 years. I do watch a little soccer, so I welcome a little mediocre football, I can stand to watch that.

serious question. why cant they find a venue in Pittsburgh to play? They are playing in canton ohio? What sense does that make?

you cant make an offer to RMU stadium to play 5 games in the spring? Hell, Highmark stadium would be big enough. remember, this isnt your dad's USFL. 4k - 5k is all they are getting on a good day..
Heinz Field is way too big; I think they'd like a place at least 10-15K is there a place that size? Some of the games they had in Birmingham drew close to 20K.

Heinz Field is way too big; I think they'd like a place at least 10-15K is there a place that size? Some of the games they had in Birmingham drew close to 20K.
i cant think of any football stadiums that hold that size in the area. it's either heinz field or 5k venues like highmark or RMU stadium. duquesne field, man do they even have bleachers or do fans just bring their own chairs like i do for my kid's soccer game?

All the D2 PSAC schools are way out of the area, no CMU stadium i dont think.

I do feel like Highmark stadium, you invest some money into it, you can add another section.. you cant touch the open side, railroad tracks and of course the view of the city but the one end (Station square side) is plenty of room too add seating and you can do a second section as well on top of the one side with seats..

you just need someone to put up the money and make sure it's being used. but you get that to 8-10k, that venue could be used much more and be worth the investment. not sure about parking though, that could be the issue.

Because its not a real Pittsburgh team. The USFL owns all the team and its purely a made for TV venture. They know attendance will be terrible so they house all the teams in Birmingham to cut down on travel/logistics. Apparently a few will play in Canton this year so they are branching out a bit. But it makes little sense for the Maulers to play at RMU or Highmark in front of 500 people. This is the football version of studio wrestling. If enough of a fan base is built, they'll move the teams into their markets but I doubt that's ever going to happen especially now with the XFL starting up again.

This is about where I say that a spring league needs to have an NCAA Home Team component. PA/WV team with players from Pitt, PSU, WVU, Marshall, Temple, etc. Ohio team, Florida team, etc. I'd watch that.

Because its not a real Pittsburgh team. The USFL owns all the team and its purely a made for TV venture. They know attendance will be terrible so they house all the teams in Birmingham to cut down on travel/logistics. Apparently a few will play in Canton this year so they are branching out a bit. But it makes little sense for the Maulers to play at RMU or Highmark in front of 500 people. This is the football version of studio wrestling. If enough of a fan base is built, they'll move the teams into their markets but I doubt that's ever going to happen especially now with the XFL starting up again.

This is about where I say that a spring league needs to have an NCAA Home Team component. PA/WV team with players from Pitt, PSU, WVU, Marshall, Temple, etc. Ohio team, Florida team, etc. I'd watch that.
i was listening to some college football radio show years ago on XM/Sirius and the dude brought up spring football for D1 (NON P5) schools. This was at the height of yet another conference realignment.

Man, it was really good listening. i mean, a ton of logistical issues but he used UAB (this was a southern radio show, i could tell by the accents) and how schools of that caliber would do so much better playing in spring and not having to compete with the P5 blue bloods of the world.

back to the topic, that's a bad model imo. the only reason i'd watch if i felt some kind of pittsburgh connection. with them playing in birmingham or canton, you get zero home town allegiance.

i was listening to some college football radio show years ago on XM/Sirius and the dude brought up spring football for D1 (NON P5) schools. This was at the height of yet another conference realignment.

Man, it was really good listening. i mean, a ton of logistical issues but he used UAB (this was a southern radio show, i could tell by the accents) and how schools of that caliber would do so much better playing in spring and not having to compete with the P5 blue bloods of the world.

back to the topic, that's a bad model imo. the only reason i'd watch if i felt some kind of pittsburgh connection. with them playing in birmingham or canton, you get zero home town allegiance.
Wasn't that a COVID-related proposal or concept? FCS actually did play a spring season.

Last edited:

The Michigan Panthers are going to play at Ford Field, so it seems like the USFL wants to be more than Studio Football, if tickets and parking are cheap they might average 10,000ish a game. Since it’s a dome I think Ford Field will be able to block off the upper levels with curtains like they use at concerts, so it might not come off as empty on tv.

The Michigan Panthers are going to play at Ford Field, so it seems like the USFL wants to be more than Studio Football, if tickets and parking are cheap they might average 10,000ish a game. Since it’s a dome I think Ford Field will be able to block off the upper levels with curtains like they use at concerts, so it might not come off as empty on tv.

I know their ultimate goal is to place the teams in their markets but I just dont see it. I would be shocked if the Michigan Panthers drew more than 10K per game. They are having 4 host sites. Detroit/Canton is Mich, Phi, NJ, Pit. Birmingham/Memphis is Bir, NO, Hou, Mem. So bus travel between Det and Canton and Bir/Mem.

FCS should 100% play in the spring.

Reactions: Flynn #5
You're right, I doubt it will ever be very popular, but unlike the last few spring football leagues it survived into the 2nd year. I hope these leagues last. There're no other sports that time of year that I really care about. I quit watching the NHL the day the Pens are eliminated, I quit watching basketball when the NCAA Tournament ends, I haven't watched baseball for 30 years. I do watch a little soccer, so I welcome a little mediocre football, I can stand to watch that.
It only survived into a 2nd year because of the involvement of Fox Sports. Having the tv commitment and the money associated with that group, got it to its 2nd year. My money is on the league ending after this year.

It only survived into a 2nd year because of the involvement of Fox Sports. Having the tv commitment and the money associated with that group, got it to its 2nd year. My money is on the league ending after this year.

Its really its 7th year. The first 5 years, it was called The Spring League. Teams had generic names like the Conquerors and Jousters. Games were played at the Citrus Bowl. They just renamed the teams USFL names and changed the name of the league to USFL

Reactions: Pitt79

This year they are playing in 4 different cities, Birmingham, Memphis, Detroit and Canton, so supposedly they plan to eventually get into these cities if they survive, but you're right that it is mostly a TV Show.

I did watch it, but because I like football, and hate baseball, never watch that, and never watch hockey after the Pens are eliminated and never watch basketball after the NCAAs end, so other than soccer games, there's no other sports I can stand to watch until NFL returns.

I did watch it, but because I like football, and hate baseball, never watch that, and never watch hockey after the Pens are eliminated and never watch basketball after the NCAAs end, so other than soccer games, there's no other sports I can stand to watch until NFL returns.
Wait. You are confusing me. You do or you don't like baseball? You never ever mentioned it before.

Its really its 7th year. The first 5 years, it was called The Spring League. Teams had generic names like the Conquerors and Jousters. Games were played at the Citrus Bowl. They just renamed the teams USFL names and changed the name of the league to USFL
My understanding is that the Spring League was more of like a camp than an actual football league. USFL is definitely more of a true league, though obviously has it differences.

Wait. You are confusing me. You do or you don't like baseball? You never ever mentioned it before.
I hate it so bad; I just love to piss on it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again!

My understanding is that the Spring League was more of like a camp than an actual football league. USFL is definitely more of a true league, though obviously has it differences.
At first it was, they'd play like 2 or 3 games, then eventually they had maybe 4-6 teams and played 6-8 game schedules all at one place, then they bought the rights to the USFL names and logos and got up to 8 teams and a 10-game schedule. I've watched this stuff since the start, I like spring football, sure it's minor league, but to me there are no other sports on TV that time of year other than soccer, so a football game or two per week is welcome.

Thank you for the history lesson. That useless piece of information does not change anything that I had in the post. It will be gone within the next 1-2 years, just like the original version of the USFL did in the middle 1980's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT