ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL botched ending of DAL/DET

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
The Lions converted a 2pt conversion to take a 1pt lead over the Cowboys with :20 to go… until it was ruled that #68 Decker did not report eligible. However, he clearly went over to the official to report before the play. At best, the NFL’s officials completely botched a game-altering play with major playoff seeding implications. It’s unacceptable how egregious the officiating has been this season. This just can’t happen.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I recall Joe Buck mentioning that the NFL had instructed the Bengals and Bills to warm up after Hamlin had his heart attack and the NFL later denied that they said that. Joe Buck doesn’t have a lot of fans but he’s certainly one to call it how he sees it.

To your point about the refs, the NFL knows exactly how they want the games to play out and they get away with it because they know people will still watch. This doesn’t mean that there’s a “script” or that it’s completely fixed but based on storylines throughout the season they know exactly how it’s going to play out.

I would not be at all surprised to see a Cleveland Detroit Super Bowl.

The Lions converted a 2pt conversion to take a 1pt lead over the Cowboys with :20 to go… until it was ruled that #68 Decker did not report eligible. However, he clearly went over to the official to report before the play. At best, the NFL’s officials completely botched a game-altering play with major playoff seeding implications. It’s unacceptable how egregious the officiating has been this season. This just can’t happen.
The Lions deserve some of the blame, they sent three linemen over to the ref with the intention of only one reporting eligible, there’s no need for 58 to even be over there or for 70 beelining to the ref brushing the front of his jersey if they weren’t reporting, they were trying to confuse Dallas and ended up confusing the ref. If the ref did announce that 68 was eligible to Dallas, it’s doubtful he would have been that open.

The Lions deserve some of the blame, they sent three linemen over to the ref with the intention of only one reporting eligible, there’s no need for 58 to even be over there or for 70 beelining to the ref brushing the front of his jersey if they weren’t reporting, they were trying to confuse Dallas and ended up confusing the ref. If the ref did announce that 68 was eligible to Dallas, it’s doubtful he would have been that open.

I agree with this to a large extent. That play felt like a hidden ball trick - they were trying to get a cheap one.

I also thought Campbell being willing to go for two from the 7 was idiotic. He seems to let his "tough" mantra get in the way of sane coaching decisions.

And that doesn't mean I don't think officiating has been bad, also. It's getting super annoying, honestly, and really beginning to affect the integrity of the game, for me.

The lions effed up late in the first half. They went for it fourth and goal from the 4 when a FG makes if 7-6.

Yeah, I thought they jumped the shark a little bit last night. Fake punt from inside their own 30 (it worked). Going for it on 4th and goal (it's not like they were at the one). Going for 2... especially when they were going to do it from the 7. Might have even been some more I missed.

I missed the end of the game. So after the penalty on the 2 point conversion moved the ball to the 7 yard line, they still went for 2 instead of kicking the extra point and going to OT? That seems as bad a decision as the one the refs possibly made (if they actually did get it wrong.)

The refs blew that call entirely

70 wasn’t even in the picture when 68 was clearly talking to the ref.

Detroit has been bending over backwards to be professional in post game comments without flat out stating the obvious

68 checked in

The lions effed up late in the first half. They went for it fourth and goal from the 4 when a FG makes if 7-6.
That’s the biggest F‘up of the game IMO. You got two gifts - Lambs touchback fumble and fake punt on that sequence…you should have taken the easy three there. If you do that you don’t need the 2.

Reactions: Las Panteras
I missed the end of the game. So after the penalty on the 2 point conversion moved the ball to the 7 yard line, they still went for 2 instead of kicking the extra point and going to OT? That seems as bad a decision as the one the refs possibly made (if they actually did get it wrong.)

They did, but there was an offsides call that moved it back to the 2. So they actually ran three plays on the final two-point try.

Don’t forget about Mike McCarthy’s play calling in the final 2 minutes, what was he thinking?

Also, when are the Cowboys going to put former Vikings GM Mike Lynn in their Ring of Honor? If not for him they don’t win those 3 Super Bowls.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The ref screwed up, mainly because Detroit did their best to fool everyone and actually fooled/confused the ref.

After the penalty you kick the extra points. Even after the Dallas offside, which brought it back to the 4+ yard line, you kick.

I like Campbell, but he doubled down on stupid because he let his emotions get the best of him. He'll hopefully learn from this.

John Parry after the game defending the ref to no end was tough to watch and SVP really wasn’t having any of it. Despite everything that happened up until that point of the game, the ref appears to have gotten this one wrong and it had a huge impact on the playoff picture.

Reactions: cease10 and DruidTM
I disagree with this. Not only was 68 the only one who said anything (according to the Lions after the game), but Dan Campbell said he went over the play with the officials prior to the game. In a game-deciding play like that, the officials need to have all their ducks in a row and clearly did not since Brad Allen just assumed 70 was reporting because he was running over.

I agree with this to a large extent. That play felt like a hidden ball trick - they were trying to get a cheap one.

I also thought Campbell being willing to go for two from the 7 was idiotic. He seems to let his "tough" mantra get in the way of sane coaching decisions.
Bingo! Detroit had the momentum to kick butt in overtime. To let his team’s comeback hinge on one play - right after they were penalized - was a stupid macho/meathead gaffe. He’s already bought enough good will from the Detroit media and fandom such that they’ll go easy on him, but still…..

It’s weird to call a play that is based on putting up a bunch of smokescreens as it relates to your interaction with a referee.

Obviously Campbell knew the potential for fooling the refs themselves was there, he tried to take precautions to stop it before the game.

It’s one thing for refs to make a bad call. It’s another thing for a ref to just get confused because you’re purposely doing confusing things aimed at the ref.

Reactions: Pitt2009
There’s video footage of the referee announcing #70 as being eligible, but no mention of #68. My guess is Brad Allen “assumed” #70 was reporting since he had reported earlier in the game and screwed up in the heat of the moment. Allen appeared to be in a hurry and screwed up the numbers when telling the Cowboys and making the announcement. I’m not buying that this was some conspiracy because his crew screwed over the Chiefs at the end of the GB game and the Chiefs would be the team the NFL wants in the Super Bowl.

There’s video footage of the referee announcing #70 as being eligible, but no mention of #68. My guess is Brad Allen “assumed” #70 was reporting since he had reported earlier in the game and screwed up in the heat of the moment. Allen appeared to be in a hurry and screwed up the numbers when telling the Cowboys and making the announcement. I’m not buying that this was some conspiracy because his crew screwed over the Chiefs at the end of the GB game and the Chiefs would be the team the NFL wants in the Super Bowl.
Agreed.

And for these people who think there are conspiracies or even fixing. One question. After all this time, why his nobody talked? Nothing ever. No way somethingmikke that could be kept quiet.

Make no mistake - the league has business interests. It’s better that the Cowboys are in it until the end as opposed to the Lions. There’s no question about it. But there’s never been anything suggesting scripting or conspiracies it other than some peoples’ fever dreams. Isolated gambling incidents involving individuals maybe here and there. But that’s why the gambling rules are so strict. Even the injury reports. Too much at stake to be effing around.

The coverups are off the field stuff. Concussions, the John Gruden stuff, Daniel Snyder. They try like hell to keep that crap out of the public eye.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yeah, I thought they jumped the shark a little bit last night. Fake punt from inside their own 30 (it worked). Going for it on 4th and goal (it's not like they were at the one). Going for 2... especially when they were going to do it from the 7. Might have even been some more I missed.
That’s how Campbell coaches, and thats what the Lions do. Sometimes it costs them but they are unapologetic and don’t waver in who they are. As a lifelong Lions fan who has watched the same old same old miserable, by the book football and losing for the past 40 years this is damned refreshing. In 2 years this guy has completely changed the 50 year losing culture and mentality of a moribund, hopeless organization. You won’t find anyone in Michigan who doesn’t love Campbell. But if I were referee Brad Allen I’d avoid traveling to this part of the world for a long while.. The lions did everything right and he blew it, and offered a false explanation after the fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
I disagree with this. Not only was 68 the only one who said anything (according to the Lions after the game), but Dan Campbell said he went over the play with the officials prior to the game. In a game-deciding play like that, the officials need to have all their ducks in a row and clearly did not since Brad Allen just assumed 70 was reporting because he was running over.
This is 💯 correct. The Lions did everything right. The refs blew it. The immediate reactions to the call of Campbell and the involved players reflect that they did it by the book and the ref just flat out dropped the ball. End of story.

That said if Goff doesn’t short arm that throw to the TE on the last play of the game none of that would have mattered.

The Lions made it overly confusing by #70 running over to the referee, but it was the wrong call.

The ref screwed up, mainly because Detroit did their best to fool everyone and actually fooled/confused the ref.

After the penalty you kick the extra points. Even after the Dallas offside, which brought it back to the 4+ yard line, you kick.

I like Campbell, but he doubled down on stupid because he let his emotions get the best of him. He'll hopefully learn from this.
I don’t know the rule on this, and was not watching the game, but it may be that once you opt to go for 2 and the ball is placed on the 2, you cannot then change your mind and kick for the point. Otherwise, why would you still go for 2 after the penalty?

Yep, the ref screwed up because the Lions tried to be cute in sending the three tackles over to the ref.

Of course it's also the refs job to pay attention to which guy is talking to him and which guy is reporting as eligible instead of just assuming that it was the guy who had reported in on some other play during the game.

This was complete incompetence by the referee, and then after the game when the pool reporter talked to him he basically lied about what happened. The Lions trying to confuse the Cowboys has nothing at all to do with the ref screwing it up completely.

I don’t know the rule on this, and was not watching the game, but it may be that once you opt to go for 2 and the ball is placed on the 2, you cannot then change your mind and kick for the point. Otherwise, why would you still go for 2 after the penalty?

No, that's not correct. They could have kicked the extra point after the penalty. The only difference was that the penalty would have been marked off from the 15 yard line instead of the 2.

No, that's not correct. They could have kicked the extra point after the penalty. The only difference was that the penalty would have been marked off from the 15 yard line instead of the 2.

Also, the opposite is true as well. If you are kicking the point and the defense jumps off sides, if you tell the ref you want to take the penalty and go for two the go half the distance from the two yard line to the one instead of enforcing the offsides from the 15.

#70 reported not #68. This was not only accepted but the info was made available to the defense per the rule. #68 was there with the ref but not reported. That is the issue.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
#70 reported not #68. This was not only accepted but the info was made available to the defense per the rule. #68 was there with the ref but not reported. That is the issue.
What do you think 68 was talking to the ref about before 70 was even there? NYE plans maybe?

he clearly went over to the official.....whether he reported or not is speculation.

he clearly went over to the official.....whether he reported or not is speculation.
But it doesn’t even make sense that #70 would be the one reporting and not #68. Decker was the one closest to Brad Allen, who was walking away towards the line of scrimmage before #70 even showed up.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
So the refs confirmed #70 reported and announced it to the defense but the Lions are saying that it was not #70 but #68. The Lions do not get to choose who they reported after the fact.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
But it doesn’t even make sense that #70 would be the one reporting and not #68. Decker was the one closest to Brad Allen, who was walking away towards the line of scrimmage before #70 even showed up.
as I said, without audio, just speculation...it also does not make sense that this ref would allow the penalty after clearly hearing this guy report, correct?

So the refs confirmed #70 reported and announced it to the defense but the Lions are saying that it was not #70 but #68. The Lions do not get to choose who they reported after the fact.
It’s not that the Lions are trying to choose who reported after the fact, it’s that the officials mistakingly said it was #70 reported and not #68. It doesn’t even make sense that #70 would be an eligible receiver because the formation is only legal if #68 is the one who’s eligible.

as I said, without audio, just speculation...it also does not make sense that this ref would allow the penalty after clearly hearing this guy report, correct?
May you expand on “this ref would allow the penalty?” I think I’ve already had too much champagne. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT