ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Draft

Kancey will go early 2nd, i dont see Izzy going til late 3rd or more likely 4th..

Steelers will pick a Tackle at 17, a WR at 32 and a CB at 49..

please feel free to save this and mock me when none of this happens and im not even close on my predictions. trust me, i can take the verbal abuse.

I don't think the first question is really up for debate. Kancey is coming off first.

And if the Steelers take Darnell Wright I'm going to get tiger stripes tattooed all over my body and start pulling for Cincinnati.

What's wrong w/ Wright ? Seriously idk..
Who you taking at 17 then ?
i'd be cool with Paris johnson, IF he's still around. a big IF.

the only way i dont want to get a tackle is if the first 4 are off the board by our pick. The Northwestern dude, Paris johnson, Wright and the Ga sophomore. i think those 4 are all good and there is a big drop off after that.

i cant imagine all 4 would be gone by 17 though..

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Kancey will go early 2nd, i dont see Izzy going til late 3rd or more likely 4th..

please feel free to save this and mock me when none of this happens and im not even close on my predictions. trust me, i can take the verbal abuse.
Likewise (to your last sentence); my predictions are always suspect at best.

I hope that both Kancey and Izzy go no lower than round 2

I guessed DB for the Steelers so not to be "upset" when JP, Jr's name comes off the board at #17 ... though I think the Steelers need to shore up their offensive line to ensure that KP has a long career

I don't think the first question is really up for debate. Kancey is coming off first.

And if the Steelers take Darnell Wright I'm going to get tiger stripes tattooed all over my body and start pulling for Cincinnati.
After further review, I am inclined to believe Kancey before Izzy ... but stranger things have happened on NFL Draft Day(s)

Why not Darnell Wright?

Kancey will be the first Pitt player taken. There are probably 4-6 backs that I can see getting selected before Izzy. Kancey is at worst, top 3 interior DL available. Even if he’s a situational player, he has more value than Izzy at RB.

It sounds like Wright will be their pick unless they trade up. I think they’re content to wait and see if a CB falls. Might be crazy, but I can see them taking Nolan Smith or Will McDonald if there isn’t a tackle there they like.

After further review, I am inclined to believe Kancey before Izzy ... but stranger things have happened on NFL Draft Day(s)

Why not Darnell Wright?

Just seems like he's come out of nowhere down the stretch. The talk for months was taking him at 32 if they couldn't get a tackle at 17. And his draft grade isn't that impressive. Seems like he's strong but not exactly athletic. Maybe more valuable as a run blocker... which I guess is fine, as long as you can hold your own against the pass on that right side. But LT is obviously more important, and I don't know that taking Wright and moving Chukwuka to the left does much to improve that (that's if Wright is even ready to play as a rookie).

He might be a beast for all I know. I'm just going by what I've seen at this point, so this is mostly just meaningless fan conjecture.

If Jesus H. Christ, All-Universe left tackle of Holy Trinity U, were available to the Steelers at 17 … and Joey Porter the Second is also still there … the Steelers would set the record for the shortest submittal of their pick to the commish ever. Joey Sr. would the then be out there announcing his son as the pick, likely needing some expletives deleted . Ron Cooks underwear shortly would need changed.

I wonder if Tomlin and Joey Porter are still tight. He just doesn't seem like the type of dude you let walk from your staff without a grudge being spawned.

I wonder if Tomlin and Joey Porter are still tight. He just doesn't seem like the type of dude you let walk from your staff without a grudge being spawned.
I’ll guess they still are. Only because, if there was falling out (to the extent they would avoid taking the kid in the draft because they wouldn’t want any interaction with the dad), they’d put word out to the local media to discourage any thinking for it to happen. And the media here would immediately turn his name to mud. But too many of the locals here are still lauding the kid and predicting it will happen. Heck WTAE as part of its promo for the draft coverage has yinzers on the street expressing hope that it happens. If the Steelers didn’t want that speculation, WTAE would never dare to air that.

Just seems like he's come out of nowhere down the stretch. The talk for months was taking him at 32 if they couldn't get a tackle at 17. And his draft grade isn't that impressive. Seems like he's strong but not exactly athletic. Maybe more valuable as a run blocker... which I guess is fine, as long as you can hold your own against the pass on that right side. But LT is obviously more important, and I don't know that taking Wright and moving Chukwuka to the left does much to improve that (that's if Wright is even ready to play as a rookie).

He might be a beast for all I know. I'm just going by what I've seen at this point, so this is mostly just meaningless fan conjecture.
Wright is a project. I'm not sure he starts right away, which in the modern NFL means you shouldn't be a first round pick. I'm not opposed to taking him at pick 32, but he won't be there at pick 32.

If Jesus H. Christ, All-Universe left tackle of Holy Trinity U, were available to the Steelers at 17 … and Joey Porter the Second is also still there … the Steelers would set the record for the shortest submittal of their pick to the commish ever. Joey Sr. would the then be out there announcing his son as the pick, likely needing some expletives deleted . Ron Cooks underwear shortly would need changed.
LOL
even funnier if someone switched the pick last second .

Wright is a project. I'm not sure he starts right away, which in the modern NFL means you shouldn't be a first round pick. I'm not opposed to taking him at pick 32, but he won't be there at pick 32.
What makes him a project?
I haven't heard this much

i'd be cool with Paris johnson, IF he's still around. a big IF.

the only way i dont want to get a tackle is if the first 4 are off the board by our pick. The Northwestern dude, Paris johnson, Wright and the Ga sophomore. i think those 4 are all good and there is a big drop off after that.

i cant imagine all 4 would be gone by 17 though..

I think the top 4 OTs will be gone and the Steelers will take Porter or the Bama S. They could trade up ahead of the Jets and Pats to get Jones.l, but they won't.

We can never count out the Raiders or Bears from being stupid and selecting a 2nd or 3rd round guy with their top 10 picks, would could bump down one if the OTs to the Steelers.

Reactions: DORT
I‘m lukewarm on Wright because he’s 330-plus pounds and plays on the edge. Unless your Pace or Ogden it just seems too heavy to move versus pass rushers. I still have the shakes over the fat linemen the Steelers used to employ that got Roethlisberger pummeled from 2007-12.

Broderick Jones is who I want. He is just 20years old and is athletic at 311 pounds.

Trade the 32nd pick for more draft picks. Still a lot of holes and depth needed on the Steelers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew1208
I'd rather take a project tackle in the second or third round (but no later than that) than waste first round draft capital on a guy who isn't worthy of the pick. Will be up to those guys to make that determination, of course. But it feels like the last time we went into a draft with the mindset that we know the position we're taking and will just snag the best guy available at it, we came away with Artie Burns.

Kancey

Offensive tackle because the Steelers (1) want to protect Pickett and (2) want to be a power running team. If the tackles fly off the draft board, the attention will shift to cornerback or possibly even edge.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I could see Porter being gone and then the Steelers taking that corner who played at Maryland with Dino Tomlin.

And then I’d love to see the Steelers use their 49th pick to move up from 32 and take their tackle or Kancey. Or Addison.

Jeremy Fowler said if Nolan Smith is there he'll be the pick at 17. He is looked at as another Shazier by the Steelers. The team needs ILBs for sure. Smith and a corner who slips to 32 would be pretty nice though left tackle is still a priority. The Falcons love Smith also so it could be a pointless discussion.

Jeremy Fowler said if Nolan Smith is there he'll be the pick at 17. He is looked at as another Shazier by the Steelers. The team needs ILBs for sure. Smith and a corner who slips to 32 would be pretty nice though left tackle is still a priority. The Falcons love Smith also so it could be a pointless discussion.

I'll be contradicting myself (I'm typically against drafting a MLB in the first round), but if they think he is elite and all the big-time tackles and cornerbacks are off the board, I'd say go for it. There's just something about Wright at 17 that doesn't sit well with me. But of course I'd rather see a nice T or CB fall to us.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
It seems that nobody is quite sure what his position is in the NFL. If they take him at 17 they better be sure.

The draft never goes according to the mocks, some GM tries to outsmart everyone. One of the tackles will slide.
Steelers want to protect Kenny and score more points.

I'll be contradicting myself (I'm typically against drafting a MLB in the first round), but if they think he is elite and all the big-time tackles and cornerbacks are off the board, I'd say go for it. There's just something about Wright at 17 that doesn't sit well with me. But of course I'd rather see a nice T or CB fall to us.
Sacks allowed by Wright last season in the SEC: 0

I don't believe is an MLB, or are you saying they will move him to the middle?

This is the most plausible answer.

I don't believe is an MLB, or are you saying they will move him to the middle?

I think he'd have to play the middle here, yeah. He's 6'3" 236. Maybe similar to like a Lawrence Timmons. He started off outside and then was moved inside in year two. So I assume he played the outside at FSU.

It's pretty unlikely that Jones falls all the way to 17. Chicago, Philly, Tennessee, and the Jets are all interested in OT so Wright might not be there either.

I think the dream scenario for the Steelers is:

- Tennessee trades up for a QB
- Eagles grab DL (Nolan Smith?) or Bijan Robinson at 10
- Someone, WAS or DET, moves up to the Bears' pick and takes a QB. Or the Bears go CB or DL.
- Jets are almost guaranteed to go OT.

That's best case and it would leave the Steelers with the #2 OT. I doubt it works quite that well for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT