ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Northwestern unveils $800M new stadium plans

Pitt gladly accepted a $5M donation from the Koch Foundation, of all places, just a few years ago. Your whole premise is flawed.
They had to counteract the millions they got from the Gates foundation. I would guess only money from the Mexican cartels would be too dirty to accept.

One thing Pitt brass understands, the on campus stadium issue is not going to go away as long as Pitt plays D-1 football. It's not just those of us old baby boomers who miss being on campus and in Oakland before and after a game.

Not that it matters but there is really zero comparison to Pitt, here. Northwestern is a glorified, ivy league, wannabe, that has to at least look like it's making an effort to justify it's cut of the conference funds. I'm not sure that building a stadium that will be the smallest in the conference by 15k seats is signaling any kind of commitment to football going forward.
Not sure how "glorified" or "wannabe" NW is as a consensus top 10 ranked national university ranked above all but 4 of the Ivys. I guess Stanford, MIT, Hopkins and U. of Chicago are all glorified Ivy wannabes as well.

I also don't see them losing their seat at the table based mostly on the fact that NW is a founding member of the B10 and its academic standard bearer. Even though it's all about money, I don't think the B1G will agree to any deals without them.
Agreed. If only to avoid the perception of anti trust (or any similar accusation of screwing) the weaker programs, and will be kept at least for an acceptable period of many years (until other inevitable outside lawsuits clear out). Northwestern (and Vanderbilt, plus UCLA to an extent) hit the lottery, albeit each nearly 75 years ago, but the checks are most definitely in todays dollars.

Reactions: PSUinSTL
For all the expert dipsticks here, adjusted for inflation this stadium would still be THREE HUNDRED MILLION more than it cost to build HF. So yeah, it shouldn't cost Pitt $800 million to build a new stadium.

For all the expert dipsticks here, adjusted for inflation this stadium would still be THREE HUNDRED MILLION more than it cost to build HF. So yeah, it shouldn't cost Pitt $800 million to build a new stadium.
Construction costs have risen faster than inflation, for a bunch of reasons. And, Heinz Field was built on flat ground. Oakland is…not that.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Now compare available land on the north shore to Oakland .
Stick to grievance about play calls and being wrong on the run:pass ratio

Construction costs have risen faster than inflation, for a bunch of reasons. And, Heinz Field was built on flat ground. Oakland is…not that.

$300 million additional? I doubt it. Like I said... Northwestern's stadium is grossly overpriced, especially when it will only seat 35,000. $800 million? LMAO.

And we don't know how much a new stadium in Oakland would cost, because Pitt isn't serious about it. It's a convenient excuse to say it will cost some outrageous figure, but they don't even know. And Pitt could have been acquiring land for said stadium for the last 20 years. They didn't, because they WANT the values to keep increasing so that have an excuse.

Pitt plays in maybe the nicest, most amenity filled stadium in college football, three miles from the Cathedral, has sold out 38K season tickets and over 10K student tickets, and some people are still wanting to build a rinky dink, 45K, no frills, Sun Belt-level embarrassment of a stadium crammed into an imaginary Oakland parcel with no accompanying infrastructure upgrades and no political support while Syracuse is finding boosters that are willing to pay recruits $1m a year?

Does anyone bother to actually think about where money should be being allocated in the current landscape that Pitt finds itself in? Does anyone think the stadium is why Pitt isn't currently ranked in the top 10? Hint: the game day facility is not a problem, and hasn't been a problem, and won't be a problem.

I love the argument, "Pitt could do it if it wants" for the same school that has been unable to close a one block section of Bigelow Blvd for 60 years and has, by far, the smallest campus by acre, and the most urban-integrated, in all of the power 5. Or those that "know" it should only cost so much because they conjured a made up number that "sounds about right" because it is similar to what a 40K stadium in Bumbleville, Arkansas cost in 2010.

Last edited:
Pitt's football program is well funded. Money spent or donated for a stadium doesn't mean that is money taken away from football.

Pitt plays in maybe the nicest, most amenity filled stadium in college football, three miles from the Cathedral, has sold out 38K season tickets and over 10K student tickets, and some people are still wanting to build a rinky dink, 45K, no frills, Sun Belt-level embarrassment of a stadium crammed into an imaginary Oakland parcel with no accompanying infrastructure upgrades and no political support while Syracuse is finding boosters that are willing to pay recruits $1m a year?

Does anyone bother to actually think about where money should be being allocated in the current landscape that Pitt finds itself in? Does anyone think the stadium is why Pitt isn't currently ranked in the top 10? Hint: the game day facility is not a problem, and hasn't been a problem, and won't be a problem.

I love the argument, "Pitt could do it if it wants" for the same school that has been unable to close a one block section of Bigelow Blvd for 60 years and has, by far, the smallest campus by acre, and the most urban-integrated, in all of the power 5. Or those that "know" it should only cost so much because they conjured a made up number that "sounds about right" because it is similar to what a 40K stadium in Bumbleville, Arkansas cost in 2010.
I agree. After traveling to Pitt at VTech a few years ago, I felt like I was watching a game at Adamson Stadium (Cal U of PA). The only gripe I have for is the lack of appropriate shade for the seating area ala The U renovation. Otherwise, Acrisure is much better and the players love it.

It's absolutely a flaw in Acrisure's design... That overhang or canopy or whatever the proper term is should cover not only everyone in the upper deck sidelines but almost everyone in the lower bowl sidelines as well.
Agreed Miami did a nice job with the shade when they upgraded...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT