ADVERTISEMENT

OT Olympic Events

neench

Freshman
Aug 17, 2001
In the 1976 Olympics there were 198 medal events. In the 2024 Olympics there are 329 medal events. I wonder how many more events there will be in 30 years? I have been confused as to the type and number of events. I realize they want to be open to new sports. But when I saw "Breaking" I said really. Why not ball room dancing or miniature golf or hair cutting competitions? It doesn't matter, China will still get the most golds.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
In the 1976 Olympics there were 198 medal events. In the 2024 Olympics there are 329 medal events. I wonder how many more events there will be in 30 years? I have been confused as to the type and number of events. I realize they want to be open to new sports. But when I saw "Breaking" I said really. Why not ball room dancing or miniature golf or hair cutting competitions? It doesn't matter, China will still get the most golds.
How about pickleball and cornhole?

It is why, outside of a few events, I no longer watch this mess.

The USA and China both won 40 golds.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
How about pickleball and cornhole?

It is why, outside of a few events, I no longer watch this mess.
watching pickle ball actually infuriates me. im sure its fun to play if you are old and dont want to run but you still want to be outside, but on tv, painful..

cornhole is meant to be played while drinking. seeing people on tv compete in this, sober, makes me angry too.

For me Breakin’ is the all-time low. But, there are other events, new and old, which are almost as bad: Field Hockey, which they just call Hockey; Badminton; Rhythm Gymnastics. What’s next? Miniature Golf?
i honestly tried to watch it and 15 seconds in, i felt awkward and weird. and i was watching it in my basement, alone. that's how cringey it was..

field hockey for men just made me laugh. feel like it's just paying homage to the lgbqt community..

i actually could watch competitive miniature golf..

I enjoy the Olympics and look forward to watching them. Sure there are some silly sports that they add, but you don't need to watch them if you don't want.

Plenty of good stuff, and plenty of outstanding competition.
Agree Completely!
It’s better to have more than not enough options. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Agree Completely!
It’s better to have more than not enough options. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Especially after the weirdness and letdown of the Tokyo games in 2020. This year’s games and the Paris setting were just what the doctor ordered. .

For me Breakin’ is the all-time low. But, there are other events, new and old, which are almost as bad: Field Hockey, which they just call Hockey; Badminton; Rhythm Gymnastics. What’s next? Miniature Golf?
Beer Pong - with Iron City. The gold medal winner would need their stomach pumped!

If only they had the egg toss. I could have really been somebody given my experience and the potential I had shown at yinzer picnics in the 90’s.

I think there is a big worldwide following for field hockey and badminton. But I understand your sentiment that if it isn’t popular in America it shouldn’t be allowed.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think there is a big worldwide following for field hockey and badminton. But I understand your sentiment that if it isn’t popular in America it shouldn’t be allowed.
My sentiment has nothing to do with neither being popular in America. My sentiment has everything to do with both of them being boring beyond belief.

My sentiment has nothing to do with neither being popular in America. My sentiment has everything to do with both of them being boring beyond belief.
And you and I enjoy a sport that most guys reading this thread think is boring.

But everyone should be happy to know that Breakdancing will not be a part of the LA Olympics.

One other thing…not to insult anyone, but field hockey strikes my as a sport we’ve all played in our basement as kids, bent over with mini hockey sticks and on a carpet. It doesn’t strike me as taking much athleticism.

Reactions: mike412
men's and women's flag football, cricket, lacrosse, squash, baseball, and softball have been added to the LA games. Just a guess but I’m sure the rest of the world will find those sports boring.

A total of 36 sporting events have been approved for the 2028 Los Angeles Summer Games.

I cant believe break dancing was an Olympic sport. Why not ballet dancing, ballroom dancing, or competitive cheer? Why not spelling, or chess, or cornhole?

I have no issue with some actual real sports that you mentioned like field hockey and badminton. Those are legit sports. But they need to stop adding hobbies. Why not add card collecting or stamp collecting?

And you and I enjoy a sport that most guys reading this thread think is boring.

But everyone should be happy to know that Breakdancing will not be a part of the LA Olympics.

One other thing…not to insult anyone, but field hockey strikes my as a sport we’ve all played in our basement as kids, bent over with mini hockey sticks and on a carpet. It doesn’t strike me as taking much athleticism.
You’re a soccer fan, as you’ve proudly proclaimed countless times on this board. My daughter plays high school field hockey in the fall, soccer in the spring, club soccer all year. The majority of her field hockey teammates are also competitive soccer players. It’s the same size as a soccer field, the positions are the same as soccer, they run constantly ans they do in soccer, they have to run all out while bent at the waist, and they have to have stick skills similar to an ice hockey player. One of my daughter’s field hockey teammates last year also played ice hockey and is now at a P5 university playing ice hockey on a full ride. She is an elite athlete by any measure. I think anyone who plays the sport or has a kid that does would probably disagree just a bit with your off the cuff and unlearned assessment that it doesn’t take much athleticism. Like soccer or any other team field sport that involves scoring goals, it takes plenty of athleticism to play it at a decently competitive level.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I cant believe break dancing was an Olympic sport. Why not ballet dancing, ballroom dancing, or competitive cheer? Why not spelling, or chess, or cornhole?

I have no issue with some actual real sports that you mentioned like field hockey and badminton. Those are legit sports. But they need to stop adding hobbies. Why not add card collecting or stamp collecting?
Chess boxing should be in the Olympics.

Now that they are over, kudos to the organizers. They made some mistakes initially with all of the checkpoints and resulting confusion, but they corrected those. And, they took full advantage of the setting in the world’s most beautiful and photogenic city.

I have been to Paris 7 times. IMO it clearly is the most beautiful city in the world. Within its 16 inner districts or arrondissements are some of the most extraordinary public buildings and spaces in the world. These Olympics took full advantage of them: Beach volleyball on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower; events at the Palais Royale and the Petit Palais and the Place de la Concorde. Running the Marathon from the Hotel d’Ville overlooking Notre Dame to Versailles (conveniently 13 miles away) and back. They made some mistakes like trying to use the Seine for some water events, but for the most part the backdrops for the venues were beautiful.

We watched most of the events on Peacock on a big screen TV thanks to a VPN and Air Play and the commercial breaks where they showed scenes of Paris made me want to reserve the next flight there. It’s less than 2 hours to Orly from Barcelona. Alas, we never did.

I know a few reporters who regularly cover the Olympics. Those who saw them have consistently told me that the 1992 Barcelona Olympics were the best ever. I suspect these Olympics will replace them in many of their minds.

You’re loss, this was one of the most entertaining Olympics in a long time.
Yup. Games were an absolute blast this year. Track and field is always the star for me but enjoyed a lot of the other stuff as well.

I genuinely have very little interest in things like team handball but it's super popular in Europe and I checked out one of the games yesterday morning. I watched a lot of volleyball which I enjoy but it's cool to see some of these other sports.

You’re a soccer fan, as you’ve proudly proclaimed countless times on this board. My daughter plays high school field hockey in the fall, soccer in the spring, club soccer all year. The majority of her field hockey teammates are also competitive soccer players. It’s the same size as a soccer field, the positions are the same as soccer, they run constantly ans they do in soccer, they have to run all out while bent at the waist, and they have to have stick skills similar to an ice hockey player. One of my daughter’s field hockey teammates last year also played ice hockey and is now at a P5 university playing ice hockey on a full ride. She is an elite athlete by any measure. I think anyone who plays the sport or has a kid that does would probably disagree just a bit with your off the cuff and unlearned assessment that it doesn’t take much athleticism. Like soccer or any other team field sport that involves scoring goals, it takes plenty of athleticism to play it at a decently competitive level.
How much do you spend a year for her to play field hockey?

and you have to hunt like hell to find boxing...

1.5 billion Indians who never can seem to win a gold medal are still screwed out of cricket (the only thing they are good at) while we have break dancing and ribbon twirlers Maybe it will be in by the time the Twin Cities host in 2036.

Really surprised by FK's take here. My daughter also plays field hockey and soccer and I think field hockey is the harder game to play because those sticks are so short (why must they be, never understood that) and the tip part is small and curved (again, why) that its much much more difficult to control a ball than a regular ice hockey stick is to control a puck. Now, sure, you can throw anyone out there and they can run around and hack at the ball but to be really good, its extremely hard.

Also, off subject, did anyone see that Australian break dancer. I swear she just took someone's uniform and snuck in the competition. What a joke. She was no better than any normal person they pulled out of the stands.

and you have to hunt like hell to find boxing...

1.5 billion Indians who never can seem to win a gold medal are still screwed out of cricket (the only thing they are good at) while we have break dancing and ribbon twirlers Maybe it will be in by the time the Twin Cities host in 2036.

Dont understand why Cricket isnt in it. Has to be more popular worldwide than some of these sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT