ADVERTISEMENT

OT: pace of play in golf

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
so this has been a hot topic for years and well im bored so i'd be curious about thoughts on golf specific to slow play, what's acceptable. what's not, strategies to play quicker, pet peeves, that sort of thing.

I will say that as i venture into my mid 40's, im not as anxious as i once was or as easily frustrated as i once was about (gasp) waiting a few minutes between each shots. i used to want to kill someone if i was out there for a 4 1/2 - 5 hour round but honestly, i've finally come to realize that it's golf, you are gonna wait, get over it or stay home.. obviously having beer with you helps too.

With that said, i'm not perfect and if im waiting too long, im probably gonna drill a ball into the back of the group's head in front of me. well at least i'll try and most likely miss. but with that said, do others find this to be still a huge issue?

One thing that jumps out at me is that EVERY Golfer seems to complain about slow play and everyone says they arent the problem but i've never once met or saw or heard of anyone saying that they dont play fast. so if everyone plays fast like they believe, why is everyone still complaining?

i'll admit im playing local public courses, they dont allow people like me on private country club courses so most of my experiences are stemming from your local courses..

Just curious of anyone else's thoughts on the subject.

Reactions: pitt_87
so this has been a hot topic for years and well im bored so i'd be curious about thoughts on golf specific to slow play, what's acceptable. what's not, strategies to play quicker, pet peeves, that sort of thing.

I will say that as i venture into my mid 40's, im not as anxious as i once was or as easily frustrated as i once was about (gasp) waiting a few minutes between each shots. i used to want to kill someone if i was out there for a 4 1/2 - 5 hour round but honestly, i've finally come to realize that it's golf, you are gonna wait, get over it or stay home.. obviously having beer with you helps too.

With that said, i'm not perfect and if im waiting too long, im probably gonna drill a ball into the back of the group's head in front of me. well at least i'll try and most likely miss. but with that said, do others find this to be still a huge issue?

One thing that jumps out at me is that EVERY Golfer seems to complain about slow play and everyone says they arent the problem but i've never once met or saw or heard of anyone saying that they dont play fast. so if everyone plays fast like they believe, why is everyone still complaining?

i'll admit im playing local public courses, they dont allow people like me on private country club courses so most of my experiences are stemming from your local courses..

my issue is not so much the group ahead of me as I have an abundance of free time nowadays (except for slow green play) , my issue is with the group in front of me backing things up to the point of the group behind me seeing me duff it 20 yards as they wait...I'll shoot in the upper 80s on an empty course but 110+ with strangers watching me hit all day....same deal with taking a non partitioned urinal wizz but we will go into that another day..

Reactions: mike 301 and Pitt79
I was in a league of forty. And you’re 100% correct - people know play is slow but don’t know they’re slow.

No reason for a 5 hour round. None. Play ready golf. Period. That solves a lot of it. We’re not on tv or playing for a check. Find the goddam ball hit the goddam ball.

Brutal golfers should still be easy to make 4hrs 15mins. Don’t take 10 practice swings. Then hit the ball 7 years, change clubs, then take 10 more practice swings.

I 100% believe most weekend hacks would improve just by playing a better pace.

My pet peeve

Everyone that understands golf etiquette knows NOT to put your clubs away as you leave the green

Instead...put them away on the next tee.

When you are on the green and guys are in the fairway waiting, this one move will speed things up

And yet....even golfers of 50 years playing will not do this.

If you golf on the weekend it’s gonna be slow
You golf at courses that always overbook - it’s gonna be slow .
What is anyone’s hurry , honestly .

I say as a guy who can walk 18 in less than 3 hours when it’s empty

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Simple answer. Everyone play READY Golf.
I mean - yeah -
I play with my dad and uncles - and they will talk about who should tee off first - after they double and triple the last hole .
I tell them - unless one you birdie or eagle - it doesn’t matter .
It’s a useless courtesy .
Whoever is ready , go .
I have a reliable driver so I tend to just go.
But if I’m playing with someone who is struggling - I may offer for them to go first “just to change the mojo” to release the pressure .

Truth is the best time to go is on a weekday morning when you can, even better when the weather is colder. and make it an unpopular course, you can have the place to yourself.

That said, I can't stand people spending 10 minutes lining up a putt like it's The Masters when you know they are scoring like 120.

Reactions: mike 301
I play in a foursome the first tee time on Saturday mornings. We generally finish in 2:30 -2:45 hours.

I also play in another foursome once or twice during the week. It generally takes us about 3:45 minutes if there no group ahead of us holding us up. I often think we are playing slow, only to find that we played in under 4 hours.

The major difference I see in the two groups is conversation. The weekday guys will stop and tell a short story or talk about something before hitting a tee shot. They feel that if they are playing in under 4 hrs that it's a reasonable pace, which I guess it is. But my advice to speed up play would be to shut up and hit the ball as soon as you possibly can. Don't worry about the etiquette of who has honors or who is away, and save the excess talking for post round beers or lunch.

Bingo.
And the secret to Ready golf is to be ready. All four players should be at their own ball ready to play. Too often I see two guys sitting in a cart by one ball. That player hits, then they have to drive to the other player’s ball so he can get ready to hit.
Drive to the first ball, drop the player off and drive solo to the second ball. Both hit, then pick up the first player as he advances toward the hole.

Truth is the best time to go is on a weekday morning when you can, even better when the weather is colder. and make it an unpopular course, you can have the place to yourself.
I like courses that are unpopular due to being a bit overpriced. I convince myself that I'm paying a premium for the chance to play quickly, rather than just think that I'm being gouged.

I have too much outerwear that is warm and waterproof, because nobody wants to play with me in weather when I can actually use the stuff.

I don't golf anymore, but going a little later in the day always seemed to work well for us. I've spent quite a few summer/fall days loading golf equipment back in the car as the sun was going down.

The times I went earlier, I just didn't enjoy it. I don't need an audience to see my drive take out a chunk of grass in the ladies' tee box before Chico Lind tosses it to Jay Bell for the 4-6-3 double play.

Reactions: butkus9079
Also, the entire foursome doesn't need to search for every errant shot. The guys in the other cart should be hitting while two of you are looking. If losing a ball bothers you, play cheaper balls. If you are searching for too many wild shots you probably shouldn't be playing an expensive high spin ball anyhow.

Reactions: MorningCoffee13

I’m getting there, I really am. Call it maturity but agin, if I’m sone in 3 1/2 hours or 4, what’s the difference.

It’s probably more on golf courses for giving 7 minute apart tee times instead of every 12-14 minutes like they should.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
My golfing buddies have all retired and I haven't yet so I for most part play golf as a single. Now if I get out first thing I can play nine hours in an hour and 15 minutes if I'm playing 18 on the weekend 3 hours and 30 minutes. However what frustrates me is groups who won't let a single go ahead of them so that slows everyone down. It's a problem and there is no easy answers.

My golfing buddies have all retired and I haven't yet so I for most part play golf as a single. Now if I get out first thing I can play nine hours in an hour and 15 minutes if I'm playing 18 on the weekend 3 hours and 30 minutes. However what frustrates me is groups who won't let a single go ahead of them so that slows everyone down. It's a problem and there is no easy answers.
A group should let a single play through if the hole ahead of them is open. If they are right behind another group, they should not. A string of foursomes each pausing to let a single play through will slow things down considerably.

A group should let a single play through if the hole ahead of them is open. If they are right behind another group, they should not. A string of foursomes each pausing to let a single play through will slow things down considerably.
If u aren’t keeping up with the group in front of you, you should let everyone play thru.

I think the biggest delays are on green. 3 golfers huddled, watching one player putt. When in reality, closest guy should pull the pin while the other 3 line up and get ready for putts.

Last edited:
Reactions: yourhired
If u aren’t keeping up with the group in front of you, you should let everyone play thru.
You should keep up with the group ahead of you. Period. If you are not keeping up, letting someone play through is just a courtesy. It does nothing to speed up the pace of play for anyone, other than whoever you just let play through. If the course is crowded, you are slowing everyone behind them down. You should then stop and let every group play through until there is an open hole behind you.

Don't take my word for this. Every pace of play study ever conducted has shown this.

Reactions: 20-20Hindsight
I’m getting there, I really am. Call it maturity but agin, if I’m sone in 3 1/2 hours or 4, what’s the difference.

It’s probably more on golf courses for giving 7 minute apart tee times instead of every 12-14 minutes like they should.
I get enough anger out during this football season :)
I golf to have fun and maybe a little exercise .
It’s not worth getting angry over being there longer

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
THIS!!!! The problem isn't bad golfers. The problem is golfers who have no clue as to how to keep the pace up. Go to your ball and be ready to hit when the previous guy has hit. Be ready to putt when you are out. Not hard.

It has very little to do with how good you are..i stink at golf. Play about 5 times a year. Finish fast though. Don't really take practice swings and I'm willing to admit defeat if my ball went 20 feet OOB instead of running a full scale search thru every blade of grass

Had a pro that said, “if you are a single find three friends, if you are a twosome, find 2 friends.”
A single has no status on a golf course full of foursomes.
Sorry but a single has no status. Hook up with a 2 some.
I live in a resort community. Single golfers are paired up with others.
Get over it.

Be ready to putt when you are out. Not hard.
This is the biggest time killer. I see people I golf with, and groups in front, take forever on the greens. Nobody on public courses is good enough to spend 5 minutes watching other putts and lining thier's up... so they can leave it 5 feet short.

I once played 18 with an old boss in under 2 hours on some course out near Carlisle/Harrisburg as were were travelling back from Philly. Granted there was nobody on the course and we both played pretty well. It was one of the most enjoyable rounds of my life. Wish I remembered the name. It was some old country club that didn't have enough members that went public. The facilities went to hell, but the course was still kept nice.

Last edited:
I have a lot of thoughts on this...

- First off, public course play is almost always going to be slow, and can very painful. Places like North Park can be 5 - 5 1/2+ hour rounds. This is largely due to the number of older golfers there, as well as those who choose to walk rather than ride. And it's almost certainly too long of a course for most of the older patrons, but the price is too good for them to go elsewhere.
- Newer golfers are almost always slower too. They've not been taught how to play ready golf and almost always take too long practice swinging or standing over a shot. I despise watching guys sit in a cart while their cart partner hits their shot, when they should be walking to their own ball, getting their distance, selecting their club, and readying to hit their own shot. This doesn't just happen with the newer golfers either.
- Newer golfers watch way too much TV, and too often emulate how much preparation a pro puts into playing a shot. Not only are they influenced by the pros, they are likely also influenced by the ridiculous beer or clothing commercials that show guys putzing and preening around on the greens or tees, as if they're the only ones on the course.
- Private courses / Country Clubs typically don't tolerate slow play, and it's rare to play anything longer than a 4 hour round - unless in a competitive tournament. Any serious golfer should consider joining one. Not all are as expensive as you might think.
- Public courses may often have rangers, who are supposed to speed up the slower groups, but oftentimes these individuals just aren't empowered to do so. Or they're buddies with everyone, and don't want to tick off any of the regulars. This also happens a lot at resort courses. My buddies and I have stopped going to Pinehurst for this reason. It's hard to play #4 under 4 3/4 hours and almost impossible to play #2 in under 5 hours. And that's with caddies who are motivated to get the groups moving along at a reasonable pace.
- The difficulty of the courses comes into play, and there are too many 25+ handicappers trying to play very difficult courses with multiple hazards, forced carries and out-of-bounds areas. Golf is a lot like skiing in that regard. People need to stay on the easier slopes until they've mastered the fundamentals, and work their way up to the more difficult runs as they improve accordingly. Just like novice skiers should not be taking on black diamond runs, newer golfers who chunk every third shot should stick to the Schenley Parks, Mt. Odins, Mt. Lebanons, and Clover Hills until they gain more skill and consistency. Otherwise, in both skiing and golf, the novices make the experience miserable for others.
- People also need to play the right tees for their skill level. "Let's play the tips" should never be uttered by someone with more than a 10 handicap, who can't hit their driver more than 240 yds.

Reactions: Chescat

- First off, public course play is almost always going to be slow, and can very painful. Places like North Park can be 5 - 5 1/2+ hour rounds. This is largely due to the number of older golfers there, as well as those who choose to walk rather than ride. And it's almost certainly too long of a course for most of the older patrons, but the price is too good for them to go elsewhere.
- Newer golfers are almost always slower too. They've not been taught how to play ready golf and almost always take too long practice swinging or standing over a shot. I despise watching guys sit in a cart while their cart partner hits their shot, when they should be walking to their own ball, getting their distance, selecting their club, and readying to hit their own shot. This doesn't just happen with the newer golfers either.
- Newer golfers watch way too much TV, and too often emulate how much preparation a pro puts into playing a shot. Not only are they influenced by the pros, they are likely also influenced by the ridiculous beer or clothing commercials that show guys putzing and preening around on the greens or tees, as if they're the only ones on the course.
- Private courses / Country Clubs typically don't tolerate slow play, and it's rare to play anything longer than a 4 hour round - unless in a competitive tournament. Any serious golfer should consider joining one. Not all are as expensive as you might think.
- Public courses may often have rangers, who are supposed to speed up the slower groups, but oftentimes these individuals just aren't empowered to do so. Or they're buddies with everyone, and don't want to tick off any of the regulars. This also happens a lot at resort courses. My buddies and I have stopped going to Pinehurst for this reason. It's hard to play #4 under 4 3/4 hours and almost impossible to play #2 in under 5 hours. And that's with caddies who are motivated to get the groups moving along at a reasonable pace.
- The difficulty of the courses comes into play, and there are too many 25+ handicappers trying to play very difficult courses with multiple hazards, forced carries and out-of-bounds areas. Golf is a lot like skiing in that regard. People need to stay on the easier slopes until they've mastered the fundamentals, and work their way up to the more difficult runs as they improve accordingly. Just like novice skiers should not be taking on black diamond runs, newer golfers who chunk every third shot should stick to the Schenley Parks, Mt. Odins, Mt. Lebanons, and Clover Hills until they gain more skill and consistency. Otherwise, in both skiing and golf, the novices make the experience miserable for others.
- People also need to play the right tees for their skill level. "Let's play the tips" should never be uttered by someone with more than a 10 handicap, who can't hit their driver more than 240 yds.
Well, you certainly got a lot off your chest in that post. Just kidding! However, being both
a golfer and a skier, your comparison of the two is so true.

Agree with this completely except the people who walk part. I can walk with a foursome in 3 1/2 hours. I grew up caddying at Sewickley Heights, which is one of the tougher courses around, and all the early morning guys were good players and 90% of them walked and they all played in less than four hours.

I played today with a 3some. One guy walked. We played 18 holes in 3 hours 25 minutes.
Our normal pace is under 4 hours for a 4some.

Reactions: yourhired
Agree with this completely except the people who walk part. I can walk with a foursome in 3 1/2 hours. I grew up caddying at Sewickley Heights, which is one of the tougher courses around, and all the early morning guys were good players and 90% of them walked and they all played in less than four hours.
I do agree. I was really only referring to the very older guys at North Park. Unless the course is built through a neighborhood, with long stretches between greens and tees (like many that have been built in the southeast US recently), walking can be every bit as efficient as a cart - and quicker when it's "cart path only" .

Last edited:

The advantage of walking, if you are doing it right, is that while you are walking up to your ball you can be thinking about the shot and what club you are going to hit, so that when you get to your ball you are ready to go. Way too often the guys in carts a thinking about anything and everything other than their game while they are riding around.

Back when I played in weekly leagues I used to walk all the time, and I played faster than most of the guys who rode carts. It was way more likely that I would be waiting for them than that they would be waiting for me.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
I often like playing as a single, but havent played as much this year due to work commitments. But I agree with what many have said above. Playing ready golf is one way to speed things up. Another, is just knowing what your abilities are - dont wait for the green to clear when you are 300 yards out, when you can only hit it 210.

The advantage of walking, if you are doing it right, is that while you are walking up to your ball you can be thinking about the shot and what club you are going to hit, so that when you get to your ball you are ready to go. Way too often the guys in carts a thinking about anything and everything other than their game while they are riding around.

Back when I played in weekly leagues I used to walk all the time, and I played faster than most of the guys who rode carts. It was way more likely that I would be waiting for them than that they would be waiting for me.
you can do that too while driving in a cart.

Being stuck behind walkers on a golf course is a freaking death sentence.. you are adding 45 minutes a turn. anyone that says they are playing quicker by walking, are the same golfers who say they play quick while the groups behind them are pulling their hair out..

played behind a group of high school kids walking a few weeks back and it wasnt a matter of if, but when, they let us play thru. i respected it for a few holes and then around number 5, we just told them "we have things to do today fellas" and just tee'd off. they were quiet, didnt say a word but since they were walking, we didnt see them again for the rest of the round..

Last edited:
you can do that too while driving in a cart.

Being stuck behind walkers on a golf course is a freaking death sentence.. you are adding 45 minutes a turn. anyone that says they are playing quicker by walking, are the same golfers who say they play quick while the groups behind them are pulling their hair out..

played behind a group of high school kids walking a few weeks back and it wasnt a matter of if, but when, they let us play thru. i respected it for a few holes and then around number 5, we just told them we have things to do today fellas and just tee'd off. they were quiet, didnt say a word but since they were walking, we didnt see them again for the rest of the round..
I'm guessing you are high handicap if you have this view point.

I'm guessing you are high handicap if you have this view point.
meh, average golfer. mid 80s on easier courses around here, happy to be at around 90 if im playing a difficult course..

in the public golfing spectrum, im probably around the middle, maybe a tad higher. never officially kept my handicap, have an app on my phone (18 birdies) that keeps it for me but dont always do a great job keeping every score so it's probably not accurate..

my handicap isnt the issue, im not the one walking.

i guess if you are a scratch golfer or have a real low handicap (5 or under) then MAYBE you can walk and not be a huge detriment out on a course for everyone behind you but that's probably making up about 5% - 10% of the golfers on public courses.

Last edited:
meh, average golfer. mid 80s on easier courses around here, happy to be at around 90 if im playing a difficult course..

in the public golfing spectrum, im probably around the middle, maybe a tad higher. never officially kept my handicap, have an app on my phone (18 birdies) that keeps it for me but dont always do a great job keeping every score so it's probably not accurate..

my handicap isnt the issue, im not the one walking.
Walking and playing fast is very doable. I can easily pick 3 guys I know, walk and finish well under four hours. Not running or rushing either. Again, easily.

never officially kept my handicap, have an app on my phone (18 birdies) that keeps it for me but dont always do a great job keeping every score so it's probably not accurate..
If that's the case. then you're a sandbagger. Joke, Joke. I'm sure you're not, but
I couldn't resist.

If that's the case. then you're a sandbagger. Joke, Joke. I'm sure you're not, but
I couldn't resist.
not a sandbagger but well if i drive one in the woods off the tee and cant find it, im dropping the ball in a good spot and hitting 3, not 4 regardless of what color the stakes are. so maybe my score could be a tad misleading.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT