ADVERTISEMENT

OT: pace of play in golf

- dont wait for the green to clear when you are 300 yards out, when you can only hit it 210.
But then you hit that shot you do once out of every hundred times and the ball is rolling up to the green while they are still putting :)

Reactions: Tucker99
Four guys walking can be just as fast or faster than a foursome in carts, if the cartballers don't get out of the cart and walk to their ball while the other guy is getting ready to hit his ball.

During covid, some courses let each player take their own cart. Four guys in four carts can play unbelievably fast.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
not a sandbagger but well if i drive one in the woods off the tee and cant find it, im dropping the ball in a good spot and hitting 3, not 4 regardless of what color the stakes are. so maybe my score could be a tad misleading.
I was hoping you'd reply to the "sandbagger" comment. I'm sure you're not, but here's
what made me say it...... I belong to a private course where most tourney's are
handicapped (not the club championship). There's a few, maybe several members who
don't always post their scores, especially the lower ones. Of course the higher ones
give them a bit of an unfair advantage in the handicapped tournaments. That is the
very essence of a "sandbagger." We'd love to have the pro do somethng about it, but
it's hard to prove and typical of a club pro, he'd rather not start a fuss with a member.

Anyway, "keep hittin em good," and know I was just kiddin ya.

Last edited:
But that’s rare because of the special glasses right?
i've already admitted that i am a dunce for falling for those. how long must i endure your cruelty on this matter?

like im the only adult in my 40s that thought magic X ray glasses could spot golf balls thru leaves and dirt existed..

I was hoping you'd reply to the "sandbagger" comment. I'm sure you're not, but here's
what made me say it...... I belong to a private course where most tourney's are
handicapped (not the club championship). There's a few, maybe several members who
don't always post their scores, especially the lower ones. Of course the higher ones
give them a bit of an unfair advantage in the handicapped tournaments. That is the
very essence of a "sandbagger." We'd love to have the pro do somethng about it, but
it's hard to prove and typical of a club pro, he'd rather not start a fuss with a member.

Anyway, "keep hittin em good," and know I was just kiddi ya.
im not sure i like the "handicapped" scoring tourneys. that just takes any and all actual competition factor out of what should be a competition..

it would be like me running a race against a world class sprinter and losing by a minute and a half in a mile race but because the last 10 times i raced, i did a little better this time and the world class track star didnt, well i get the gold medal.

kind of stupid to be honest. You win a tournament because you scored the lowest. if you arent good enough to compete with the golfers, well you find a tournament of competitors in your talent level and play against them and well, lowest score wins..

Four guys walking can be just as fast or faster than a foursome in carts, if the cartballers don't get out of the cart and walk to their ball while the other guy is getting ready to hit his ball.

During covid, some courses let each player take their own cart. Four guys in four carts can play unbelievably fast.
i agree with this. closest ball gets dropped off, takes his clubs while the other golfer takes the cart and goes to his ball. first golfer hits and starts walking to the green. Second guy hits, gets in cart and meet up by the green or picks him up on the way.

Golf cart driver grabs the other dude's putter (or wedge) and well it's pretty straight forward.

If you are in cart and waiting for dude to hit, get in cart then go ride with you to your shot, well it slows the process down big time.

If I have paid triple digits for a round, I don’t give a fluck how long someone behind me is waiting.
I once played Pebble Beach paired with another single and a father and son twosome. The twosome started out horribly slow. On the 6th hole they both picked up and headed to the 7th tee. After they did this on a couple more holes we asked what was going on. Without me and the other guy knowing, a ranger had come up to them somewhere while they were looking for a ball and told them they had to speed up. I give them a lot of credit for obeying him, but I can't imagine paying $ 500 for a round of golf and then not finishing 75% of the holes.

i've already admitted that i am a dunce for falling for those. how long must i endure your cruelty on this matter?

like im the only adult in my 40s that thought magic X ray glasses could spot golf balls thru leaves and dirt existed..
It’s just too hard to pass up. Like I said before all weekend golfers are goofy for gimmicks. I don’t think I’ve ever gone for something as gimmicky as those glasses but it’s relative. I’ve bought things that after a while I just said to myself - you’re an idiot.

im not sure i like the "handicapped" scoring tourneys. that just takes any and all actual competition factor out of what should be a competition..

it would be like me running a race against a world class sprinter and losing by a minute and a half in a mile race but because the last 10 times i raced, i did a little better this time and the world class track star didnt, well i get the gold medal.

kind of stupid to be honest. You win a tournament because you scored the lowest. if you arent good enough to compete with the golfers, well you find a tournament of competitors in your talent level and play against them and well, lowest score wins..
This may have changed, but the handicap system used to have a slight adjustment for this. It was called a differential for excellence, or something like that. You got 96% of your allowable strokes. So a 2 handicap would still get 2 strokes, because 1.92 strokes would be rounded up to 2. But a 25 handicap would only get 24 strokes. A very slight difference, but it could matter in a match on the hole where the high handicap was losing the extra stroke. But the advantage is so small that this may have been eliminated when they revised the handicap system.

Good exxplanation. However, often these types of tourney's have a handicapped winner and
a "gross score" winner. That takes care of your point. Also different flights is a type of
handicapping. The general idea is, it evens the playing field.
Another example is different tees. My guess from what you've posted is, you don't play
from the "tips." Again, making it more of an "even playing field."

Excuse the pun, BUT......different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: JS School
Good exxplanation. However, often these types of tourney's have a handicapped winner and
a "gross score" winner. That takes care of your point. Also different flights is a type of
Another example is different tees. My guess from what you've posted is, you don't play

i play from the blues most times. honestly, i probably shouldnt. if you arent breaking 80 consistently, you have no business playing from "the tips", that's another reason for slow play. Average golfers playing from the blues and slowing play down (Myself absolutely included on this).

To be honest, the guys i play with our better so i get peer pressured into it. i just dont have the sack to watch 3 guys play from the blues while i am alone at the whites.

i've seen a lot of people proposing this, the reds, yellows, blues, whites not being age or gender designated but moreso score. basically like i said, shooting in 70's then you play from blues (or blacks for the courses that have them), playing from whites if you are shooting in 80s or 90s, playing from Reds or Juniors if you are on the wrong side of 100.

Doubt it ever takes hold, too much of a negative connotation of red tees being associated with "womens tees" and lets face it, most of us men have an ego that wont allow up to tee off from the ladies tees, even if we should..

Last edited:

This is another reason I think that the differential for excellence may have been eliminated. A 2 handicap isn't going to have a match with a 25 handicap very often. They would be in different flights in a tournament. They would only play each other in casual rounds.

Walking and playing fast is very doable. I can easily pick 3 guys I know, walk and finish well under four hours. Not running or rushing either. Again, easily.
Not if you have to have your dick out for six or seven holes a round as I often have to do... really slows you down....I swear they are moving those ladies tees father and farther away from the whites every year.

• Haha
Not if you have to have your dick out for six or seven holes a round as I often have to do... really slows you down....I swear they are moving those ladies tees father and farther away from the whites every year.
hey, joking aside but i just posted this in the post above but it adds to your point.

People online proposing designated tees for handicaps.. It would really help the game and speed things up.

the reds, yellows, blues, whites not being age or gender designated but moreso score. basically like i said, shooting in 70's then you play from blues (or blacks for the courses that have them), playing from whites if you are shooting in 80s or 90s, playing from Reds or Juniors if you are on the wrong side of 100.

Doubt it ever takes hold, too much of a negative connotation of red tees being associated with "womens tees" and lets face it, most of us men have an ego that wont allow us to tee off from the ladies tees, even if we should..

But the truth of the matter is, too many big egos out there thinking they should be playing from the tips when they have no business even stepping foot on that tee box.. same guy is holding up play, waiting for the green to clear from 250 out who can only hit his 3 wood 205 yards on a good day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucker99
This is another reason I think that the differential for excellence may have been eliminated. A 2 handicap isn't going to have a match with a 25 handicap very often. They would be in different flights in a tournament. They would only play each other in casual rounds.
True Dat!

I once played Pebble Beach paired with another single and a father and son twosome. The twosome started out horribly slow. On the 6th hole they both picked up and headed to the 7th tee. After they did this on a couple more holes we asked what was going on. Without me and the other guy knowing, a ranger had come up to them somewhere while they were looking for a ball and told them they had to speed up. I give them a lot of credit for obeying him, but I can't imagine paying $ 500 for a round of golf and then not finishing 75% of the holes.
I have seen some courses no longer give a scorecard and your phone is it along with distances, etc. You would think these courses might put a timer on each hole for you to determine where your pace stands. Timer on the app I mean.

I have seen some courses no longer give a scorecard and your phone is it along with distances, etc. You would think these courses might put a timer on each hole for you to determine where your pace stands. Timer on the app I mean.
most of the carts do now, with the gps in it. they tell you, or shame you in telling you that you are X minutes behind the pace of play..

you can do that too while driving in a cart.

You certainly can. The point is that most don't.

And I can't imagine anyone who plays all the time thinking that most do. Some? Sure, absolutely. Most? No way, no how.

I used to go out sometimes with some friends who had the first couple of tee times at a local course every Saturday and Sunday morning, when one of the regulars wasn't able to play. None of them ever rode a cart. The rounds never took even four hours to play. Because they all want to, and did, play quickly.

Could a group like that play even faster if they were riding? Yeah, sure. But there is no need to when people are playing that fast in the first place.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT