ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Oregon State, Wazzu take Pac-12 to court

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Although this news doesn’t pertain to Pitt, I think it’s very interesting to follow because it could set a precedent for future realignment in the event another conference (ACC, Big 12, other) gets PAC’d.

Translation: here's a couple extra million for you, OrSt and Wazzu to make this go away. Have fun in the Mountain West
I don’t think it’s just a few million, though. It might be at least $150M when counting NCAA Tournament units, and that’s not even considering the actual value of the Pac-12 brand. This will essentially determine whether those two get $~12.5M or $75M+ depending on whether the league gets dissolved, the assets are split amongst the 12 schools, and/or if they’re only split by Oregon State and Wazzu.

Hopefully they win and get really punitive damages from the schools that left. That could deter teams from trying to get out of other conference deals.
Yeah, that’s why I think this has some relevancy for the ACC, although we have a deterrence already with the GOR.
I think this is a formality in which any school in their position would do to ensure they don't get shafted more than they already have been.
The article mentions that there’s actually been some hostility from the exiting members threatening to keep Oregon State/Wazzu in line. Essentially, they said that “we can dissolve the conference with nine votes at any moment.”
Feels like they almost had to take action for their own sake.

Poor Beavs/Cougs… talk about insult to injury.

I don’t think it’s just a few million, though. It might be at least $150M when counting NCAA Tournament units, and that’s not even considering the actual value of the Pac-12 brand. This will essentially determine whether those two get $~12.5M or $75M+ depending on whether the league gets dissolved, the assets are split amongst the 12 schools, and/or if they’re only split by Oregon State and Wazzu.
The defendants need only to list the account of Scott Barnes “managing” Pitt basketball (into the ground), and that will be all the assurance any arbiter or jury would need that Oregon State would ever be able to make the NCAA tournament, the CFP, the ultimate frisbee championship for that matter, regardless of continuing in a viable PAC or not. Thus not being able to contribute to any matter of post season revenue reward.

It might be difficult for the jury foreman to deliver the verdict while still laughing uproariously over the spectacle of what Barnes had overseen at Pitt…. Especially if they’d call on Pat Gallagher to testify. “Derrrrp, I just let him do whatever he wanted…”

• Love
Reactions: HailToPitt725
The defendants need only to list the account of Scott Barnes “managing” Pitt basketball (into the ground), and that will be all the assurance any arbiter or jury would need that Oregon State would ever be able to make the NCAA tournament, the CFP, the ultimate frisbee championship for that matter, regardless of continuing in a viable PAC or not. Thus not being able to contribute to any matter of post season revenue reward.

It might be difficult for the jury foreman to deliver the verdict while still laughing uproariously over the spectacle of what Barnes had overseen at Pitt…. Especially if they’d call on Pat Gallagher to testify. “Derrrrp, I just let him do whatever he wanted…”

A basketball program and an entire conference were completely destroyed with Barnes at the helm.

They should also sue the Big Ten for tampering. It was clear that the Big Ten didn't want to be perceived as destroying the Pac. They were hoping for other schools to leave before they offered Oregon and Washington.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
A basketball program and an entire conference were completely destroyed with Barnes at the helm.
Yep and Pitt stood by and did nothing to stop it even though it was slow moving and out in the open for the world to see. Incompetent at best, malfeasance at its worst. Every 15 minutes a new lawsuit should have been filed by Pitt against “Barnsie”. But amazingly didnt idiot Gallagher beg the dbag to stay on longer? “He was new to the job”. New to the job???? This ruination was the most obvious thing in the world that had ever been perpetrated and fans and media were outright SCREAMING at Pitt to stop it. “Derrrrrp, I’m new to the job, you take care of everything, Barnsie…hey nice new Bentley you’re driving… derrrrrrrrp”

They must be pissed at Barnes right now at Oregon St. Just spent millions on stadium but they bout to lose millions in revenue with no soft landing spot.

They should also sue the Big Ten for tampering. It was clear that the Big Ten didn't want to be perceived as destroying the Pac. They were hoping for other schools to leave before they offered Oregon and Washington.
Indeed. They should sue anyone with even peripheral involvement (including the B1G, Fox, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Wash and even that Full House gal that diddled the USC admissions agent to let in her smoking hot but apparently dense as a stone daughter). Anyone that have some deep pockets and will pay up to be rid of them.

But our luck they’ll have seen the posts on this message board from some that swear the ACC had initiated “talks” last year to take in some PAC schools …and we’ll be the ones cutting checks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT