ADVERTISEMENT

How dangerous is Pitt's future backcourt if Carrington returns next year?

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Jaland Lowe was a few rebounds shy of a triple double tonight and has been surging since entering the starting lineup against Louisville midway in the season.

Carrington has been surging in the last few games and is in the running for ACC freshmen of the year.

Leggett has been really good as the 6th man off the bench and could be the ACC 6th man of the year if he qualifies.

And Cummings is absolutely lethal from midrange and 3 point range if given any space.

Just how nasty is this backcourt next year if all players return and our healthy? Top ____ in the entire country?

You fill in the blank...

I'm very sold on a 1-3 of Lowe, Bub, and Leggett next season. At one point, I wanted us to try and land a big time shooter at the three and keep Leggett coming off the bench, but Leggett has won me over since then. He's an intelligent, savvy player who should have a big role next season.

Having said that, you have to upgrade the 4 and 5. Fede and Guillermo are fine off the bench, and I'm sure Kante will still be developing, but if you upgrade those spots - to go along with the aforementioned three - you have a really good team.

I'm very sold on a 1-3 of Lowe, Bub, and Leggett next season. At one point, I wanted us to try and land a big time shooter at the three and keep Leggett coming off the bench, but Leggett has won me over since then. He's an intelligent, savvy player who should have a big role next season.

Having said that, you have to upgrade the 4 and 5. Fede and Guillermo are fine off the bench, and I'm sure Kante will still be developing, but if you upgrade those spots - to go along with the aforementioned three - you have a really good team.
That's the main takeaway...you need improved play from the bigs. Somewhere the team is going to need to replace around 20 pts per game with the loss of Hinson alone.

From what I'm hearing we're in on some bigs. It's a must. H2P

That's the main takeaway...you need improved play from the bigs. Somewhere the team is going to need to replace around 20 pts per game with the loss of Hinson alone.

Yeah, I thought we were going to have to find a completely different way to win this year, but I was wrong - we're largely doing the same things we did last season. Hinson has adapted to be able to shoot with even less space.

Not sure I want to test that again, though, with losing Hinson. We need some bigs who can score. Only weird thing is how the numbers work out. The twins being a package deal is kind of a hit.

I think Austin is going to be a really excellent player at the 4 next year. He’s shot it pretty well over the past month or two, and he’s really been a fine enough shooter since the calendar turned to January. He isn’t going to put up the volume that Blake did at that spot, but if he can even marginally improve his percentages (or even keep his 33% percentage in conference play and increase the volume), I think you could conceivably have the 1-4 spots combined compensate for Blake’s loss, especially if they have a fourth guard in Cummings who can give you some perimeter shotmaking off the bench if Leggett’s a starter.

I think Austin is going to be a really excellent player at the 4 next year. He’s shot it pretty well over the past month or two, and he’s really been a fine enough shooter since the calendar turned to January. He isn’t going to put up the volume that Blake did at that spot, but if he can even marginally improve his percentages (or even keep his 33% percentage in conference play and increase the volume), I think you could conceivably have the 1-4 spots combined compensate for Blake’s loss, especially if they have a fourth guard in Cummings who can give you some perimeter shotmaking off the bench if Leggett’s a starter.
If Guillermo plays the 4 more often and his 3 point volume increases that could help make up for it as well.

Reactions: Chairman Moe

I feel like I like Austin more than most, but I envision his ideal spot as being more of a spark plug off the bench. There are times when I love his athleticism, but then there are times when I feel like he's a weak link in the starting lineup (no worse than Fede, though).

I guess it just feels like replacing Hinson for Leggett in our starting 1-4 is such a downgrade on paper. Of course, it doesn't account for guys getting better, etc. What you're describing is probably a much more realistic scenario, though - particularly after breaking the bank on the freshmen (assuming that happens). But we would have to upgrade the five for me to get fully on board with that.

Reactions: rockypanther
I feel like I like Austin more than most, but I envision his ideal spot as being more of a spark plug off the bench. There are times when I love his athleticism, but then there are times when I feel like he's a weak link in the starting lineup (no worse than Fede, though).

I guess it just feels like replacing Hinson for Leggett in our starting 1-4 is such a downgrade on paper. Of course, it doesn't account for guys getting better, etc. What you're describing is probably a much more realistic scenario, though - particularly after breaking the bank on the freshmen (assuming that happens). But we would have to upgrade the five for me to get fully on board with that.
I guess I’m buying low on Austin a little bit because it feels like he’s found his comfort level a little more over the past month - if we get the Zack Austin we’ve seen lately, rather than the overall season numbers, I think he’s a starter-level 4. But I think we’re going to look to expend the resources in the backcourt that I think realistically, it’s probably the most likely option. It seems like Capel really likes having a bunch of different types of guys at the 4 and the 5 - and next year’s roster has Austin, Jeffress, Jorge, Ndiaye, Guillermo, Fede and Kante all as pretty different interchangeable pieces that you can tinker with. It’s interesting.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Guillermo at the 4 outside of a few specific matchups or changeup scenarios, because I think he presents such a unique advantage with his perimeter shooting at the 5 that isn’t as much of an advantage at the 4, and I think if you put him at the 4 opponents would make him defend the perimeter more and I don’t think that’s his strength.

I guess I’m buying low on Austin a little bit because it feels like he’s found his comfort level a little more over the past month - if we get the Zack Austin we’ve seen lately, rather than the overall season numbers, I think he’s a starter-level 4. But I think we’re going to look to expend the resources in the backcourt that I think realistically, it’s probably the most likely option. It seems like Capel really likes having a bunch of different types of guys at the 4 and the 5 - and next year’s roster has Austin, Jeffress, Jorge, Ndiaye, Guillermo, Fede and Kante all as pretty different interchangeable pieces that you can tinker with. It’s interesting.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Guillermo at the 4 outside of a few specific matchups or changeup scenarios, because I think he presents such a unique advantage with his perimeter shooting at the 5 that isn’t as much of an advantage at the 4, and I think if you put him at the 4 opponents would make him defend the perimeter more and I don’t think that’s his strength.

I'm kind of hoping that Lowe and Carrington make their return to Pitt contingent on ponying up and upgrading the five (well, assuming we would actually do it). Just feels like this team has a distinct ceiling with that group, whereas a 10/8 type of center could have us in the preseason top 4 for the ACC.

There's a better chance both will be in the NBA next year than Pitt. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Lowe declares without a hiring an agent to test the waters.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
There's a better chance both will be in the NBA next year than Pitt. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Lowe declares without a hiring an agent to test the waters.

Yeah, the smart money is probably on Bub to the NBA. I think his game is far from there right now, but he's certainly moldable clay. He's getting to the hoop more, and boy does he get there quickly and with ease via those long strides.

I still think it's kind of odd that he almost only shoots threes from the topish of the key, because it always felt like that's where the less talented shooters are more comfortable with shooting from. But, yeah - probably worth a shot with his tangibles. Gonna need a few years of refining, but you can't teach that size and speed, to go along with plus handle.

The OP title clearly referred to next year. Why did you respond? Focus dude.
Because you are in imagination land. So much can happen between now and then that you don’t enjoy this moment as much. There is as equal a possibility that only Cummings is back. Bub to NBA. Lowe lost to NIL. Ish to different program for more playing time. You get all hyped thinking next year will be the final four when it could be back to bottom four of ACC. If Bub is back, yes final four hype. But invest in the here and now. Hinsons final home game. Potentially Bubs final home game.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Because you are in imagination land. So much can happen between now and then that you don’t enjoy this moment as much. There is as equal a possibility that only Cummings is back. Bub to NBA. Lowe lost to NIL. Ish to different program for more playing time. You get all hyped thinking next year will be the final four when it could be back to bottom four of ACC. If Bub is back, yes final four hype. But invest in the here and now. Hinsons final home game. Potentially Bubs final home game.

That's a little extreme on both sides, haha.

Regardless, as I've stated before, if you're serious about basketball you can't lose any of these guys for NIL reasons. NBA is what it is, obviously.

In honesty, my snappy replies are likely due to too much previous emotional investment and let down over the years. I agree, that class would be amazing. It brings back the feelings of glory years. At the same time, it brings back the trauma of bad March losses and all that emotional investment gone. I haven’t been this excited for Pitt basketball in over a decade. We all want that next step. I do think Capel can get them there if the pieces fall into place with a little luck. I feel like they just had bad luck at times in March. A lot of teams they lost to made the final four.

Yeah I expect both back next year. Bub was on the ACC TV show a day or 2 ago talking about working on getting to the rim in the off-season. As has been said, same as this year, they need a competent big and they'll be very impressive.

To Vader's point, I can't think of a more lethal group at guard in my history of watching Pitt hoops(next year). Even this year, at least the last month or 2, puts them way up near the top.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
Jaland Lowe was a few rebounds shy of a triple double tonight and has been surging since entering the starting lineup against Louisville midway in the season.

Carrington has been surging in the last few games and is in the running for ACC freshmen of the year.

Leggett has been really good as the 6th man off the bench and could be the ACC 6th man of the year if he qualifies.

And Cummings is absolutely lethal from midrange and 3 point range if given any space.

Just how nasty is this backcourt next year if all players return and our healthy? Top ____ in the entire country?

You fill in the blank...
If they return, Pitt is a top 25 team.

Reactions: rockypanther
I think a Greg Elliott type player needs to fill the void left by Hinson.

Not 20 ppg, but someone with decent size and a 40% threat from deep, who’s not a PG. Combine that with maturity from the rest of the potential returnees, and I’d feel good about it.

This team shoots a ton of threes and next year they will too, even if it’s dialed back. We have to be able to replace that somewhat efficiently.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I think a Greg Elliott type player needs to fill the void left by Hinson.

Not 20 ppg, but someone with decent size and a 40% threat from deep, who’s not a PG. Combine that with maturity from the rest of the potential returnees, and I’d feel good about it.

This team shoots a ton of threes and next year they will too, even if it’s dialed back. We have to be able to replace that somewhat efficiently.
If all who can return, what I would like to see is:
1) Yes a Greg Elliott type.
2) A banger, 6'8-6'10" 250lb type who can give you 8-12 minutes, a few points, a few boards a few fouls and more than a few black and blue marks on the opposition.

With the back to back success Pitt has had, I would hope Pitt can at least get another big. Even one of the mid majors we played who gave Fede trouble. Like, they seriously can’t get anyone better. Someone who can make free throws, or not be pushed around. Not asking for a lot here.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Clearly the ascension of Jaland Lowe makes them a completely different team than the one which lost 3 neutral site or home games early in the year. He played a COMBINED 30 minutes in losses to Florida, Missouri and Clemson. Last night he played 35 minutes, scoring 17 points with 10 assists and 5 rebounds. Clearly Pitt is not close to being the same team that started 9-5 and 0-3 prior to Lowe being inserted into the starting lineup and have gone 11-3 as Lowe has matured along with fellow frosh Bub Carrington.

The fact that Missouri has gone into the tank after beating both Minnesota (9-9 in Big 10) and Pitt shouldn’t hold a lot of weight again Pitt now. The elimination of the recency bias that used to be applied giving more weight to how teams finished is a huge blemish on the NET based rating system, especially in an era where teams have a high turnover rate and need time to jell.

You fill in the blank...
All you talk about is next year. Live in the present for goodness sakes.

Reactions: JS School
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT