ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Purdue & Morton

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
Until Purdue wins something in March/April that matters I’ll keep them in the all hype category. The loss to Ohio State won’t hurt them much IMO.
But I can’t help but notice that Butler’s Morton isn’t much more than a body.
At 13 minutes a game, he scored less than 1 point per game and 1 rebound per game. Purdue averages 85 points and 41 rebounds a game. Those are lousy numbers.
He was a bust in their stretch run last year.
I don't know if we recruited him (I suspect we did) but I’m not upset he went elsewhere.
He strikes me as the kind of guy who was a giant among boys in HS and in college he is an average player on a good team.
Does a guy like that enjoy being a very small part of a a highly ranked team?
Did we dodge a bullet?

Until Purdue wins something in March/April that matters I’ll keep them in the all hype category. The loss to Ohio State won’t hurt them much IMO.
But I can’t help but notice that Butler’s Morton isn’t much more than a body.
At 13 minutes a game, he scored less than 1 point per game and 1 rebound per game. Purdue averages 85 points and 41 rebounds a game. Those are lousy numbers.
He was a bust in their stretch run last year.
I don't know if we recruited him (I suspect we did) but I’m not upset he went elsewhere.
He strikes me as the kind of guy who was a giant among boys in HS and in college he is an average player on a good team.
Does a guy like that enjoy being a very small part of a a highly ranked team?
Did we dodge a bullet?

I think he would have been a solid 4 year bench player for us

I watched some of that game this afternoon and his offensive game looks a lot like Will Jeffress. Set screens for other people, and when the ball does come to you hurry up and look for someone else to pass it to.
Have seen pretty much the same from Morton.

Morton played 19 minutes in the game against OSU and didn’t take a single shot…..he’s a useless statue but still plays in every game.

Reactions: Saboteur II
He wanted to play PG, and he was never going to play PG at this level. Some of us who saw him play in HS knew this. So he is what he is.

Capel got sh!t for not recruiting him, but maybe he was just being honest with the kid. If my uneducated eyes saw it, I'm sure he knew it.

He wanted to play PG, and he was never going to play PG at this level. Some of us who saw him play in HS knew this. So he is what he is.

Capel got sh!t for not recruiting him, but maybe he was just being honest with the kid. If my uneducated eyes saw it, I'm sure he knew it.
Pretty sure Pitt was never really considered by Morton. Probably a good thing.

Reactions: Saboteur II

I watched every single HS game of his for 4 years and he could definitely be playing PG at a different school. Capel did recruit him. Capel made a visit shortly after taking the Pitt job. It wasn't much of recruitment as he was dead set on Purdue.

Reactions: singregardless
I watched every single HS game of his for 4 years and he could definitely be playing PG at a different school. Capel did recruit him. Capel made a visit shortly after taking the Pitt job. It wasn't much of recruitment as he was dead set on Purdue.

Yea. Morton was one of Capel's 1st visits. I remember posting at the time that he is wasting his time because Big Ten campuses are heaven for white kids.

Reactions: Wanstash21

Not going down this rabbit hole like 5 years ago. I think it's pretty clear by now that he wasn't a point guard at this level. You can believe what you want.

Not going down this rabbit hole like 5 years ago. I think it's pretty clear by now that he wasn't a point guard at this level. You can believe what you want.

he's been on a top 5 team his entire collegiate career. I have no doubt if he went to top 80 P6 school, he could've developed into a solid PG. It's absolutely his preferred position. He's not a spot up guy and that's more or less what he's asked to do.

also, you interjected initially. Now you don't want to go down the rabbit hole?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Butler kid sticking up for a Butler kid.

sticking up for him? simply shedding some light on the situation. I watched the kid practice and play for 4 straight years. I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about in regards to his position considering the conversations I've had with him, his coaches, his teammates, etc.

nobody has to believe me .. again, just offering up what I know.

I am always dubious of these type of kids who don't have an outside shot, and is not exactly someone who handles the ball and creates. I mean compare him with Bubs as they are similar in size. The fact that Morton is what, a 5th year Sr, I mean he is alot of "meh".

sticking up for him? simply shedding some light on the situation. I watched the kid practice and play for 4 straight years. I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about in regards to his position considering the conversations I've had with him, his coaches, his teammates, etc.

Morton sucks. Nice kid but he sucks.

“Conversations with his coaches”…Matt Clement doesn’t know jack about coaching basketball. Couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

“Conversations with his coaches”…Matt Clement doesn’t know jack about coaching basketball. Couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag.
Cmon, he only had a high major PG and a MM guard and had to get bailed out by the worst call in WPIAL history to get one title out of all of that! Also, they have the most talent in WPIAL 6A this year and somehow finished 3rd in their section?

Reactions: Ski11585
he's been on a top 5 team his entire collegiate career. I have no doubt if he went to top 80 P6 school, he could've developed into a solid PG.
He could probably play PG in the A10 or that level of competition. I don't see him at that position in P6.

He could probably play PG in the A10 or that level of competition. I don't see him at that position in P6.
I have never seen him play, but his shooting numbers are worse than Will Jeffress. How does that translate into a point guard?

he's been on a top 5 team his entire collegiate career. I have no doubt if he went to top 80 P6 school, he could've developed into a solid PG. It's absolutely his preferred position. He's not a spot up guy and that's more or less what he's asked to do.

also, you interjected initially. Now you don't want to go down the rabbit hole?

We have 5 years of evidence to the contrary, yet you have no doubt. As I said before, I'm far from an expert, but it was visible to me 5/6 years ago when watching him play. He was never playing point at this level.

Hey, I think it's great that he stuck it out and will get his degree from a pretty good school. I wish him nothing but the best.

We have 5 years of evidence to the contrary, yet you have no doubt. As I said before, I'm far from an expert, but it was visible to me 5/6 years ago when watching him play. He was never playing point at this level.

Hey, I think it's great that he stuck it out and will get his degree from a pretty good school. I wish him nothing but the best.

situation matters. Not hard to understand that. We had four years of proof Blake Hinson wasn't a 3pt shooter, yet he's the best shooter in the country this year and the best shooter to play at the University of Pittsburgh. Situation matters. pretty simple.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
He could probably play PG in the A10 or that level of competition. I don't see him at that position in
Cmon, he only had a high major PG and a MM guard and had to get bailed out by the worst call in WPIAL history to get one title out of all of that! Also, they have the most talent in WPIAL 6A this year and somehow finished 3rd in their section?
Yep. Most talent, worst coach. Blew a 20-point lead at Seneca Valley. Will lose Friday night at USC. Holzer would out coach Clement if he was in a coma.

He doesn’t have the handles to be a point guard at a high level. I remember his freshman year at Purdue, when they tried him at PG, he would often get the ball stolen from him when bringing it up.

What amazes me was he had a killer mid range pull up game in high school. I have not seen him even attempt a mid range shot at Purdue (I have watched 90% of his games). Purdue has always tried to make him a 3 and D guy but he doesn’t have a good 3 point shot. His best chance of success is being a slasher/mid range player but this season he just stands in the corner and waves his arms.

At this point in their careers, I’d rather have Jeffress. Better defender, rebounder, and finisher at the basket.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I am always dubious of these type of kids who don't have an outside shot, and is not exactly someone who handles the ball and creates. I mean compare him with Bubs as they are similar in size. The fact that Morton is what, a 5th year Sr, I mean he is alot of "meh".
He’s only a 4th year senior. He gets a covid year next year if he wants to come back.

We had four years of proof Blake Hinson wasn't a 3pt shooter, yet he's the best shooter in the country this year and the best shooter to play at the University of Pittsburgh. Situation matters. pretty simple.

He shot 38% on threes last year on 255 shots. I'm not sure how that translates into proof of him not being a three point shooter.

He shot 38% on threes last year on 255 shots. I'm not sure how that translates into proof of him not being a three point shooter.
Reed Sheppard still exists and plays college basketball too. He’s shooting 51.3 percent from 3. Not to take anything away from Blake, btw. But Reed is the best shooter in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT