ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ryder Cup

Who boos the Captain? Sacrilege.

I LOVE the Ryder Cup. Contemplating setting the alarm for 4-5AM to watch live. (I read coverage starts at 2 AM but that's a bit ridiculous, even for me.)

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Who boos the Captain? Sacrilege.

I LOVE the Ryder Cup. Contemplating setting the alarm for 4-5AM to watch live. (I read coverage starts at 2 AM but that's a bit ridiculous, even for me.)

Set your dvr. That’s what I’m doing. It can be a little tedious but there is a lot of bs during golf broadcasts that can be ff’ed through.

Mrs Buffett and I will be attempting to watch as much as we can watch!

It's one of the best sports events of the year!

Weather is always a factor when the event is played in Europe. They play in bad weather all the time and are good at it.

A local Pro in our area played the European tour for a while. He told us the Euro's play in rainsuits alot.
US players play in rainsuits once in a while and it does impact play.

The US players are used to better conditions so we'll see! Weather could be a factor.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: paulbl99
The US team hasn't been on track recently but key Euro's have been off track as well!
This makes it even more fun!

I bet they match up Sergio with Tiger. The old Sergio quote which Tiger hates "Tiger will serve chicken at the Masters dinner."
After that comment US fans started throwing Rubber Chickens at Sergio. LOL!

They hate eachother so this would provide alot of drama?? For the Euros anything that upsets Tiger is good!

Last edited:
It will be constantly replayed on the golf channel so unless your having a bad nights sleep just sleep in you won't miss a thing .
The direction they're cutting the ruff along with the height and will make accuracy off the tee the deciding factor . Will be interesting to watch .
Capt. America will thrive in this environment. let them boo !

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
It will be constantly replayed on the golf channel so unless your having a bad nights sleep just sleep in you won't miss a thing .
The direction they're cutting the ruff along with the height and will make accuracy off the tee the deciding factor . Will be interesting to watch .
Capt. America will thrive in this environment. let them boo !
True that. I got up at 4 AM for the Royal Wedding in May too though...... I dig being "there" in the moment.

I have to admit, that as much as this event is contrived...and these are millionaires vs millionaires, I love the Ryder Cup. Love it. And I am thinking right now, might be at its peak because the talent on both rosters is outstanding.

I have to admit, that as much as this event is contrived...and these are millionaires vs millionaires, I love the Ryder Cup. Love it. And I am thinking right now, might be at its peak because the talent on both rosters is outstanding.
The Ryder Cup dates back to1929 and both sides take the competition very seriously and desperately want to win so contrived doesn't really apply . NBA, NHL, NFL all star games , pro wrestling yes Ryder Cup no .
None of the millionaire players are paid a cent for their precipitation and they play for the honor of representing their country . There's no end in the depth of talent in professional golf all over the world so as long as there's golf the Ryder Cup will be a major sporting event and though I've never attended one I've been told by those that have the environment is so electric it's like nothing else they've ever attended .

The US team hasn't been on track recently but key Euro's have been off track as well!
This makes it even more fun!

I bet they match up Sergio with Tiger. The old Sergio quote which Tiger hates "Tiger will serve chicken at the Masters dinner."
After that comment US fans started throwing Rubber Chickens at Sergio. LOL!

I thought that was Fuzzy Zoeller.

I will be recording as well, still hard to believe the USA is such a big favorite on European soil.

I've never been paid a cent for my precipitation either. Oh, wait, actually, there was that study at Sera-Tec during my sophomore year...

US looked good in morning session. Should have won all 4. Woods/Reed blew a 2 up lead with 7 to play though which prevented a morning sweep. Also seems to have given the Europeans some momentum.

Afternoon session..... wow I have never witnessed a worse display of golf by players than I am watching with the Americans right now. Not one single American is playing anything close to good. Johnson and Fowler are a trainwreck, Mickelson and DeChambea(this dude putts worse than me) are just as bad although it wouldn't matter with them as their opponents Garcia/Noren have birdied like 6 of 7 holes, Bubba/Simpson especially Bubba are terrible and Johnson/Spieth are terrible.

Capt. America got booed already at the opening festivities. Here's my wish that Poulter craps the bed. That is all.
Have yet to follow but guessing that since this is in France I would think that the course has already surrendered to the players at this point...

Have yet to follow but guessing that since this is in France I would think that the course has already surrendered to the players at this point...
As a Francophile I must respectfully disagree. The French fought heroically in WWI and also did what they deemed necessary to save Paris and their country from destruction....millions fought the Germans in many efforts including a heroic stand at Dunkirk.

The French are a great and wonderful people , with a very good though seldom seen sense of humor......

US totally embarrassing themselves in this afternoon session. Never seen anything like this. Wow.

As a Francophile I must respectfully disagree. The French fought heroically in WWI and also did what they deemed necessary to save Paris and their country from destruction....millions fought the Germans in many efforts including a heroic stand at Dunkirk.

The French are a great and wonderful people , with a very good though seldom seen sense of humor......
Francophile? Dude, I do not care who you chose to have sex with. None of my business. Try to stay on point......Sorry the frogs got their rep, gotta live with it sans whining. I'm Polish and I accept the barbs with good cheer.However, my folks charged tanks with horses (hate to stereotype, but not too bright) but hey, they did not runaway and acquiesce to save Warsaw.. ....I'll give ya Lebeau in Stalag 13 though, he was awesome...

Francophile? Dude, I do not care who you chose to have sex with. Try to stay on point......Sorry the frogs got their rep, gotta live with it sans whining. I'm Polish and I accept the barbs with good cheer.....I'll give ya Lebeau in Stalag 13, he was awesome...
Is that what that means wow my bad....

Regardless your stereotype of the French is dooh-dooh....I looked that word up just to be safe

Reactions: upj87
Is that what that means wow my bad....

Regardless your stereotype of the French is dooh-dooh....I looked that word up just to be safe
My bad. You are right...I should not have assumed that it meant a three way with Franco and his Joepa cutout...

We have good friends who lived in France for a few years. They loved their time there although they said the country could be divided between the Parisians and everyone else. They enjoyed the "everyone else" much more. ;)

We have good friends who lived in France for a few years. They loved their time there although they said the country could be divided between the Parisians and everyone else. They enjoyed the "everyone else" much more. ;)

Well that doesn't seem too different than the LA/West Coast and NYC/I-95 Corridor and "everyone else" that has happened here.

I figured out something. The qualification of the Ryder Cup points system for the US is flawed. It puts equal weight in points on tourneys won or finished high in February-March-April as it does June-July-August. I mean, I can't remember the last time Bubba was contending in a big tourney, how did he have enough points, even Phil got a lot of points early, same with Reed.

Secondly, the USA when it goes to Europe needs to take into account the course being played, not just the best players or who is the hottest golfers. In this course, I guy like Kevin Kisner would be a grinder, hits fairways and greens, Xander Schauffle was definitely better than Mickelson the last few months, even a guy like Zach Johnson, who I don't like, but these are the type of events he does well in.

Secondly, the USA when it goes to Europe needs to take into account the course being played, not just the best players or who is the hottest golfers. In this course, I guy like Kevin Kisner would be a grinder, hits fairways and greens, Xander Schauffle was definitely better than Mickelson the last few months, even a guy like Zach Johnson, who I don't like, but these are the type of events he does well in.

When you have a whole bunch of guys who hit the ball really far but not very straight it's easy for the opposition captain to set the course up to really screw your team over. The funny thing today is how many times US players hit irons off the tee and STILL couldn't keep the ball in the fairway.

I figured out something. The qualification of the Ryder Cup points system for the US is flawed. It puts equal weight in points on tourneys won or finished high in February-March-April as it does June-July-August. I mean, I can't remember the last time Bubba was contending in a big tourney, how did he have enough points, even Phil got a lot of points early, same with Reed.

Agreed. Mickelson should not have been on the team. Johnson is crappy putter and a chokes under pressure

They went with Bombers rather than guys who can hit the fairways and putt. The course does not set up well for a guy like koepka

When you have a whole bunch of guys who hit the ball really far but not very straight it's easy for the opposition captain to set the course up to really screw your team over. The funny thing today is how many times US players hit irons off the tee and STILL couldn't keep the ball in the fairway.

Yeah....just getting boatraced.

Still a mystery as to the pre-tourney odds. I guess perception overtook reality.

A couple places in town had Europe as high as +150, I didn’t get it either.

Odds on some of the matchups and props were even worse. I’m kicking myself for not taking advantage of it nearly enough.

Watched a good bit of Friday's play, after I DVR'd it. But this has to be the worst camera coverage I have seen in sports. Most of the views are way to close up. Tee shots shown landing, but the view never shows the other ball or balls that were previously hit - no way to figure out who had the best tee shot.

It's also a commercial fest. And when they went to the split screen, that was more than what I could bear, so I moved on from it. The only way to watch it is to record it and then FF through all the commercials and babble.........

But this has to be the worst camera coverage I have seen in sports.

My favorite was after a guy hit a shot and they would stay focused on his face for several seconds until the ball had already landed and stopped. Maybe European cameramen don't know how to follow the ball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT