ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shameful "Amazon H2Q" post... and resultant lunacy

PITTsburghFAN

Freshman
Sep 14, 2014
Las Panteras seems to make interesting and well reasoned posts most of the time, so it was disappointing to see that Panteras stooped into the realm of genuinely "fake news" (thanks Pitt Girl for pointing this out finally).

There are legitimate reasons, pro and con, for embracing or not, the prospect of Amazon setting up a second HQ in Western PA. A number of us older denizens see that prospect as distinctly upsetting the balance of factors that make living in greater Pittsburgh distinctly favorable. As one of my pals sees it - "Amazon coming here would bring a locust plague of Bohemian hipsters." Alas, it would also further the foundation of a solid economy for this region and to the benefit our progeny.

But the reason for this note: It is simply WRONG to make a definitive statement on Pittsburgh's prospects for this development when it is probably the most consequential matter the area faces. Flippantly stating that we are no longer in consideration was completely unethical. I saw that subject header and immediately scoured local and national media sources for confirmation... and obviously not one shred of evidence supported the claim. A later poster even put in a Pgh Trib-Review link citing comments from the Allegheny County executive reviewing their visit. NO DECISION on the matter to be found anywhere.

And if that wasn't bad enough, 90% of the subsequent posters IGNORED the fact that the claim, itself, was phony... and then launched into dissertations on their own pet peeves with aspects of life in Pittsburgh, blithely ignoring that they were going deeper down the rabbit hole the entire time!!

Are we, today, so numb to the first and most fundamental reality - TRUTH - that we ignore such perfidy and proceed to waste debate on a falsehood??

Again, shame on Las Panteras for foisting this phony topic on the Panther Lair community.

Reactions: Lfg2ch4
Just fyi, I question his claim pretty quickly and it was ignored by everyone.

Just fyi, I question his claim pretty quickly and it was ignored by everyone.

Sorry, H2P. I saw your post and forgot about it. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to see that post, realize it was phony, and then watch in astonishment as dozens and dozens of others substantiated it by their unquestioning replies!

Las Panteras seems to make interesting and well reasoned posts most of the time, so it was disappointing to see that Panteras stooped into the realm of genuinely "fake news" (thanks Pitt Girl for pointing this out finally).

There are legitimate reasons, pro and con, for embracing or not, the prospect of Amazon setting up a second HQ in Western PA. A number of us older denizens see that prospect as distinctly upsetting the balance of factors that make living in greater Pittsburgh distinctly favorable. As one of my pals sees it - "Amazon coming here would bring a locust plague of Bohemian hipsters." Alas, it would also further the foundation of a solid economy for this region and to the benefit our progeny.

But the reason for this note: It is simply WRONG to make a definitive statement on Pittsburgh's prospects for this development when it is probably the most consequential matter the area faces. Flippantly stating that we are no longer in consideration was completely unethical. I saw that subject header and immediately scoured local and national media sources for confirmation... and obviously not one shred of evidence supported the claim. A later poster even put in a Pgh Trib-Review link citing comments from the Allegheny County executive reviewing their visit. NO DECISION on the matter to be found anywhere.

And if that wasn't bad enough, 90% of the subsequent posters IGNORED the fact that the claim, itself, was phony... and then launched into dissertations on their own pet peeves with aspects of life in Pittsburgh, blithely ignoring that they were going deeper down the rabbit hole the entire time!!

Are we, today, so numb to the first and most fundamental reality - TRUTH - that we ignore such perfidy and proceed to waste debate on a falsehood??

Again, shame on Las Panteras for foisting this phony topic on the Panther Lair community.
anyone and everyone knows we are not a serious contender, accept it and move on. it's gonna be in DC area, Alexandria most likely. WIth that said, I do like the term "bohemian hipster." I have no idea what it means but I like it and I hate those people, even if I have yet to identify who "those" people are..

To further confirm this fear of Pittsburgh becoming the future home of bohemian hipster millenials, , the article in the trib today had some info on Amazon's HQ meeting with Pittsburgh officials and their biggest concerns were not of tax incentives but coffee shops and bike lanes. We are all doomed

During a visit to Pittsburgh, Amazon officials asked questions about everything from bike lanes and coffee shops to how many engineers Carnegie Mellon University graduates each year, Fitzgerald said during a meeting with the Valley News Dispatch's editorial board in Tarentum.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
FYI, I just google-imaged Bohemian hipster and it was pics of really pretty girls dressed in floral dresses and this guy.

Reactions: HOF Coach
anyone and everyone knows we are not a serious contender, accept it and move on. it's gonna be in DC area, Alexandria most likely. WIth that said, I do like the term "bohemian hipster." I have no idea what it means but I like it and I hate those people, even if I have yet to identify who "those" people are..

To further confirm this fear of Pittsburgh becoming the future home of bohemian hipster millenials, , the article in the trib today had some info on Amazon's HQ meeting with Pittsburgh officials and their biggest concerns were not of tax incentives but coffee shops and bike lanes. We are all doomed

During a visit to Pittsburgh, Amazon officials asked questions about everything from bike lanes and coffee shops to how many engineers Carnegie Mellon University graduates each year, Fitzgerald said during a meeting with the Valley News Dispatch's editorial board in Tarentum.
What do you mean by "not a serious contender?" Pittsburgh is among the 20 cities which are being considered. How much more serious could we be? Amazon did not put Pittsburgh on that list just to make us feel important.

Agree - in fact, Amazon has been back to Pittsburgh twice to review the Hazelwood site, so my guess is Pittsburgh makes the "final" list, if in fact they do release something like that.

Unlike many on here it seems, I am actively rooting for this. I know it will put a strain on the infrastructure, but too many kids have been leaving the area. It will continue the renaissance of this city and truly make it not only a destination for education but also for life. This is good for everyone IMHO. It's kind of like the post last night where someone was complaining that Amazon was destroying our economy. Life goes on folks - it can't stop just to make it easier for everyone here. You're either on the train or left back when it pulls out of the station.

Obviously JMO.

True, but you liked the newest Cloverfield movie so I dinged you for that.
Yeah, in hindsight it really wasn't very good. Just watched "Cloverfield" over the weekend. I really enjoy that film. I also read that there is another "Cloverfield" film in the works. We shall see what happens.

Pittsburgh is old. Used to be the oldest county in Pa. Just like every family needs young people to carry on so does the ‘burgh. Welcome any effort that will stabilize the city for the future. The employees of high tech companies are not posers. My daughter works in Silicon Valley and I can assure you the employees must be productive or they are gone. As Chuck Noll said “the only thing constant is change.”

Reactions: Chaos and pitt-girl
Message board posts aren't "news" so his post doesn't qualify as fake news.

I still think Bezos is going to locate in a swing state. Either Pittsburgh, Philly, or the Research Triangle IMO

Agree - in fact, Amazon has been back to Pittsburgh twice to review the Hazelwood site, so my guess is Pittsburgh makes the "final" list, if in fact they do release something like that.

Unlike many on here it seems, I am actively rooting for this. I know it will put a strain on the infrastructure, but too many kids have been leaving the area. It will continue the renaissance of this city and truly make it not only a destination for education but also for life. This is good for everyone IMHO. It's kind of like the post last night where someone was complaining that Amazon was destroying our economy. Life goes on folks - it can't stop just to make it easier for everyone here. You're either on the train or left back when it pulls out of the station.

Obviously JMO.

The problem with the Hazelwood site, which I am sure Amazon must realize, is that the road infrastructure has trouble handling traffic now, let alone the thousands of additional employees coming to an Amazon location. It is an extreme bottleneck going along second avenue with the Hot Metal bridge crossing, the parkway exit, the the intersection going from second avenue up the hill to Greenfield or over to Hazelwood. I don't see how an influx of so many people would be anything other than a total cluster.

I am sure that the City is telling Amazon how great it would be by extending BRT down through Panther Hollow, but that's a band aide to the more serious issue of a lack of proper infrastructure for public transit. It's a shame the the politicians allowed Dan Rooney to strong-arm them into pursuing the T extension to the Steelers stadium, instead of investing in an extension to Oakland. Then they would be set up for a proper extension into Hazelwood through Panther Hollow. But nope... Steelers get their way and it has screwed the city. I certainly don't blame the Rooney family for doing what was best for the Rooney family.

Last edited:
Looking at some offshore gambling sites that list odds for this, Northern Va is the overwhelming favorite as someone already mentioned.

Paddpower: Has Northern VA at 5/2 odds and doesn't list Pittsburgh.

Pinnacle: List the following in order as seen below.

1 Northern Virginia 3.3
2 Boston 6.04
3 Washington D.C. 4.51
4 Austin 4.95
5 Toronto 5.75
6 Atlanta 7.71
7 Montgomery County 12.29
8 Philadelphia 20.91
9 Raleigh 23.43
10 Pittsburgh 32.06
11 Nashville 33.28
12 New York 42.33
13 Chicago 42.33
14 Denver 42.33
15 Newark 46.24
16 Columbus 46.24
17 Indianapolis 46.24
18 Dallas 50.55
19 Los Angeles 56.02
20 Miami 56.02

This board has been full of "fake news" types of posts and false narratives for over 15 years. Why are you surprised?

But I disagree, there are actually zero legitimate reasons for not embracing H2Q for Pittsburgh.

I think most people understood that the topic starter there was an unverified report, but it still prompted a legitimate discussion on some transportation blunders made by local decisionmakers.

Reactions: JoseLind13
If it helps Pitt football I'm all for it!

Obviously JMO.

Obviously JMO.

Perhaps something like this will actually spur the needed infrastructure improvements. (Just don't call it another "Renaissance". That term has been worn out in Pittsburgh.)

It's a shame the the politicians allowed Dan Rooney to strong-arm them into pursuing the T extension to the Steelers stadium, instead of investing in an extension to Oakland. Then they would be set up for a proper extension into Hazelwood through Panther Hollow. But nope... Steelers get their way and it has screwed the city. I certainly don't blame the Rooney family for doing what was best for the Rooney family.
200w.gif

Let me respond:

Yesterday morning while working from home...I had the TV on and was flipping between squawk box....fox business.....one american news and Fox news.

On one of these stations, an interview took place with a writer from the WSJ who has bird dogged this story for months.

His statement almost word for word.....Toronto, Indianapolis, PITTSBURGH....will not make it due to insufficient public transit.

I have spent the past two days trying to locate the interview to link.

I thought maybe someone else was tuned in to hear this interview. Maybe not.

In any event.....you have a valid point that I did not link a source. The above is the best I can do at this time.

But this is NOT some fake news post just to stir up a hornet's nest.

I watched this journalist say we are out.....fwiw......and posted.

Let me respond:

Yesterday morning while working from home...I had the TV on and was flipping between squawk box....fox business.....one american news and Fox news.

On one of these stations, an interview took place with a writer from the WSJ who has bird dogged this story for months.

His statement almost word for word.....Toronto, Indianapolis, PITTSBURGH....will not make it due to insufficient public transit.

In any event.....you have a valid point that I did not link a source. The above is the best I can do at this time.

Thanks for clarifying. However you have to agree that is an OPINION, not a fact stated by Amazon.

Let me respond:

An journalist speculating and offering his opinion during an interview on a 'news' channel segment doesn't equal factual confirmation of anything. It's an editorial opinion or a hypothesis at best.

Reactions: bobfree

Fake news on the internet? That's unpossible!

For posters who don't understand where companies like Amazon would want to locate here's a few tips.

First - SMF must have had his straight-jacket untied so he can post but companies like Amazon aren't focusing on red, blue or swing states. Businesses who are public companies and have shareholders are charged with running their business as efficiently as possible and maximizing shareholder value!

They do zero in on states/cities who offer tax incentives tied to headcount increases.

They like to locate in areas that are "scalable." This means as their business grows they won't be constrained by local or area government or infrastructure which will add unreasonable incremental costs related to the business expansion.

They do look at transportation infrastructure and the potential for expanding or improving air and ground options.

They do focus on the dimensions and skill levels of the local labor pool.

They do like a pro business local government.

Looks like Pittsburgh is probably somewhere in the middle, showing some big positives and big negatives.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Looking at some offshore gambling sites that list odds for this, Northern Va is the overwhelming favorite as someone already mentioned.

Paddpower: Has Northern VA at 5/2 odds and doesn't list Pittsburgh.

Pinnacle: List the following in order as seen below.

1 Northern Virginia 3.3
2 Boston 6.04
3 Washington D.C. 4.51
4 Austin 4.95
5 Toronto 5.75
6 Atlanta 7.71
7 Montgomery County 12.29
8 Philadelphia 20.91
9 Raleigh 23.43
10 Pittsburgh 32.06
11 Nashville 33.28
12 New York 42.33
13 Chicago 42.33
14 Denver 42.33
15 Newark 46.24
16 Columbus 46.24
17 Indianapolis 46.24
18 Dallas 50.55
19 Los Angeles 56.02
20 Miami 56.02

I’ll take a little on Austin and Atlanta.

Thanks

Perhaps something like this will actually spur the needed infrastructure improvements. (Just don't call it another "Renaissance". That term has been worn out in Pittsburgh.)
If Pgh and Allegheny county use this process to make the area more attractive to businesses, we may end up far better off if we lose the big fish but instead win a diverse bunch of medium fish.

If Pgh and Allegheny county use this process to make the area more attractive to businesses, we may end up far better off if we lose the big fish but instead win a diverse bunch of medium fish.

How are they doing that?

How are they doing that?

Just a thought.

Coming from Seattle, amazon is used to transportation over the water. If hazelwood is the proposed site, I am guessing that water taxis from a number of ports to the HQ will be implemented.

But even if amazon is out we should have done this 30 years ago.

For example, from the East, rather than drive into town....drive to a large parking area somewhere along the mon river. Say.....homestead. take a ferry into town with stops at hot metal, south side, downtown.

Trip takes no longer than driving in from churchill and fighting the parkway

Just a thought.

Coming from Seattle, amazon is used to transportation over the water. If hazelwood is the proposed site, I am guessing that water taxis from a number of ports to the HQ will be implemented.

For example, from the East, rather than drive into town....drive to a large parking area somewhere along the mon river. Say.....homestead. take a ferry into town with stops at hot metal, south side, downtown.

What about in the winter though? Does the water ever truly freeze in Seattle? The rivers here can become quite dangerous.

Just a thought.

a few years ago, they were supposed to build a dock up by the southside works (Cheesecake factory/hofbrau house) for boats-water taxis but not sure if they ever did. I thought it was cool idea, drink a few down sathside then hop in boat and take it to steeler/pitt game. Problem with the station square dock is it's either the clipper or nothing, other water taxis don't have access to it..

Obviously if they ever start putting anything up over in the hazelwood project, that idea gets better and better. Im still dreaming of a pitt football stadium there in hazelwood with on-water tailgating and water taxis going to and from the south side for us to celebrate our wins. yeah yeah, I know, I live on a different planet with some of my ideas..

a few years ago, they were supposed to build a dock up by the southside works (Cheesecake factory/hofbrau house) for boats-water taxis but not sure if they ever did. I thought it was cool idea, drink a few down sathside then hop in boat and take it to steeler/pitt game. Problem with the station square dock is it's either the clipper or nothing, other water taxis don't have access to it..

Obviously if they ever start putting anything up over in the hazelwood project, that idea gets better and better. Im still dreaming of a pitt football stadium there in hazelwood with on-water tailgating and water taxis going to and from the south side for us to celebrate our wins. yeah yeah, I know, I live on a different planet with some of my ideas..
...a different planet in an entirely different universe, perhaps? ;)

Reactions: Swervin27
Amazon already has had significant exposure r to the burgh. We house one of twelve tech centers dealing mainly with AI and they are expanding the office. CMU is at the forefront of AI tech and computer learning facilities. To believe they have not considered all of the issues raised above is shallow thinking. I do not think they will land here but hope they do. If not we will continue to see them increase their staff

Reactions: pitt-girl
What about in the winter though? Does the water ever truly freeze in Seattle? The rivers here can become quite dangerous.

Would it not be any different than the mon wharf closed to parking on certain bad weather days?

Theyre millenials. Let them ride their bikes to work.

Just stay on the bike lanes and off my streets

Would it not be any different than the mon wharf closed to parking on certain bad weather days?

Theyre millenials. Let them ride their bikes to work.

Just stay on the bike lanes and off my streets
You are over thinking my post. It was pointed out that Amazon uses water travel in Seattle and I was asking if their water freezes there - i.e. can they use it 24/7/365.

our rivers are safe, it's been almost 48 hours since a dead body was found in one of them, id say that's a sure sign of safety improvement.

Reactions: Las Panteras

I believe Pittsburgh is a top 3 contender and you are going to see any other Tech companies build something large outside of their Headquarters. Pittsburgh will get several to kick the tires and sort of let Amazon do the leg work. Pittsburgh is such a great fit for Amazon that I believe they at least get a 33% of Amazon’s next HQ but in a very focused way.

It’s going to be a skyscraper “Downtown” that fits with the skyline.

Just my educated opinion. UPMC will be a deciding factor in how Amazon wants to change healthcare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT