ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shooting at Monroeville Mall......

Re: My solution to how to START to end inequality in

Gary, a kid in Braddock(now Woody high)does have the same opportunity, the old school district was Churchill... School merger.

Originally posted by odkstokes:

When is enough ENOUGH? This thread has been running for 5 days on a PITT FOOTBALL board, and although it may have started out as a harmless thought in the mind of pitt-girl(not so sure about that). It has clearly spiraled out of control into a back and forth of who can scream the loudest about their stance on race in this country. This is a PITT FOOTBALL board!! I'm sure you can find plenty of other sites to spew your opinions on this subject, but again this is a PITT FOOTBALL board. How about we come up with topics on...I don't know PITT FOOTBALL!! One person with the most negativity to say about black people is the person who chose the handle RECRUITS READ THESE BOARDS!! Let's hope for PITT FOOTBALLs sake that you are wrong sir, because if I were a black recruit who was just contacted by PITT or a parent of one, & I read the comments in this thread by PITT FOOTBALLs "most dedicated fans"...I would be looking elsewhere for sure!!
How is it negative to say "stop shooting people" and "go to school"? I really don't get a lot of you people. It is like you are so afraid and conditioned to state the obvious.

is an education at Woodland Highs comparable to an education at North Allegheny? I don't know. Are the grade schools and middle schools roughly equal? Is the same amount of money spent per student?

Mayor Peduto was on undercover boss. Many of the city employees he spoke to talked about wanting to send their children to private school. Peduto even helped some of them with the money to do so. Why did the mayor of the City of Pittsburgh never ask any of them: What is wrong with our city schools? That is very telling in itself.

Lack of family direction and support, poor education and poverty all lead to an increased chance of a life of crime and violence. You can not end poverty by just giving people money. You can not force families to stay together and be supportive. I do feel that we can at least create a more equal educational opportunity that over time, can impact both the family unit and income levels as more people break out of this seemingly endless cycle.

At kid at Brashear is likely already at a disadvantage. He does not need to fall further behind because his education is not on a par with suburban schools. That is a situation exists in big cities throughout this country and something radical needs to be done about it.

Originally posted by gary2:
is an education at Woodland Highs comparable to an education at North Allegheny? I don't know. Are the grade schools and middle schools roughly equal? Is the same amount of money spent per student?

Mayor Peduto was on undercover boss. Many of the city employees he spoke to talked about wanting to send their children to private school. Peduto even helped some of them with the money to do so. Why did the mayor of the City of Pittsburgh never ask any of them: What is wrong with our city schools? That is very telling in itself.

Lack of family direction and support, poor education and poverty all lead to an increased chance of a life of crime and violence. You can not end poverty by just giving people money. You can not force families to stay together and be supportive. I do feel that we can at least create a more equal educational opportunity that over time, can impact both the family unit and income levels as more people break out of this seemingly endless cycle.

At kid at Brashear is likely already at a disadvantage. He does not need to fall further behind because his education is not on a par with suburban schools. That is a situation exists in big cities throughout this country and something radical needs to be done about it.
All true. It also does not excuse the kids who drop out and don't graduate. Again, you all can point to this, but hell kids at Deer Lakes, Highlands or Springdale don't have the same advantages as kids at North Allegheny or Upper St. Clair. That doesn't mean you just give it up.

So a kid at Brashear may not have the golden gate towards say an Ivy League school, or a Swarthmore or even a Pitt. That doesn't mean they cannot graduate HS, or go to Community College or go to say, Slippery Rock. Something. Just to drop out and become a gangbanger is again, not an accepted option because of this excuse. Sorry. And it certainly isn't going to raise the community or school profile when so many do this.

It isn't a chicken or the egg thing. It is purely chicken. Go to school. Doesn't matter if it not elite, and other schools have an advantage. When the majority of the community participates in seeing their kids going to school, trying, working at it, then everything rises up. Brashear likely never will equal NA in our lifetimes. So what. That is no excuse for not trying.

An addendum: And I am not arrogant enough to think college is the be all to end all. Learn a trade. Go to culinary school. Become a plumber, an electrician. Etc......there are a lot of paths to a good solid life. You may not have all the bling and Mercedes Benz's etc....so what. Neither do I. I love people justifying the fact that these kids see that drug dealers make more money.....you know what, a lot of them make more money than MOST of us on this board too. Again, it is just an excuse. We need better parents, better teachers, but we need people to care. I care. I think I do, or I wouldn't be writing this stuff, knowing idiots will take it as "racist" because it doesn't fit the current "they don't have a chance" attitude of liberal elitists. Sure, they don't have a chance, if we keep on telling them they don't have a chance and excuse and justify their actions.
This post was edited on 2/11 10:54 AM by recruitsreadtheseboards

Odkstokes, maybe you get to determine when enough is enough. I think some of the opinions here are garbage, but they are just saying what they feel. I don't hate someone because they are wrong.

And do you think any of what is being said is negative about black people? Or negative about an issue that hurts so many black people? Seems to say more about your perspective.

How do you get to pull the "if I were a black recruit" silliness? You think because someone is black they are too weak or not bright enough to see a serious conversation? You paint with a broad ignorant brush.

And you must be right to assume that by reading this thread that race or topics similar to this are absent at schools other than Pitt.

Prior to Woody high Churchill may have been considered NA of the east. The grade schools were all in their respective communities and thrived.
Churchill was defined as "ohh you're from Churchill"...

If a "parent" you always have an option, I drove thru Wilkinsburg everyday, is saw kids in uniforms going to St. James and kids going to Wilkinsburg HS.

Drastic measures are needed.. I have a list of ideas.....ACLU will never allow it.

Originally posted by odkstokes:

When is enough ENOUGH? This thread has been running for 5 days on a PITT FOOTBALL board, and although it may have started out as a harmless thought in the mind of pitt-girl(not so sure about that). It has clearly spiraled out of control into a back and forth of who can scream the loudest about their stance on race in this country. This is a PITT FOOTBALL board!! I'm sure you can find plenty of other sites to spew your opinions on this subject, but again this is a PITT FOOTBALL board. How about we come up with topics on...I don't know PITT FOOTBALL!! One person with the most negativity to say about black people is the person who chose the handle RECRUITS READ THESE BOARDS!! Let's hope for PITT FOOTBALLs sake that you are wrong sir, because if I were a black recruit who was just contacted by PITT or a parent of one, & I read the comments in this thread by PITT FOOTBALLs "most dedicated fans"...I would be looking elsewhere for sure!!
What the f? If you actually read my OP I posted it here labeled OT - get it? OFF TOPIC - mainly because Terrelle Pryor was there. You know, Terrelle Pryor? FOOTBALL player? FOOTBALL board? Sheesh. Do not drag me under any bus insinuating some kind of hidden agenda.

Ha, I saw that too. Pretty jerk move to say that about pitt-girl.

Completely uncalled for, disconnected, stupid, ignorant and plain wrong-headed.

Way to go new guy.

Originally posted by pittiswhereiamfrom:
Ha, I saw that too. Pretty jerk move to say that about pitt-girl.

Completely uncalled for, disconnected, stupid, ignorant and plain wrong-headed.

Way to go new guy.
It just saddens me an pains me that you cannot hold an honest conversation about this stuff without someone throwing out the "racist" tag, because you are not subscribing to the position held by a lot of apologists on these matters.

It is what it is. Of course there are underlying socio economic reasons, but it takes two. The so called victims of the society have to want to come forward and be helped and try and work through their problems and also realize they aren't going to be handed a $100K a year job just because people feel sorry for you.

I lived on Ave A for a while and then with an ex girlfriend on Windsor. If you think Forest Hills is remotely unsafe, I feel sorry for you. You must live in constant fear, because Forest Hills isnt even, in the most elastic stretching of the notion, a bad neighborhood

According to Marty Griffin, KDKA radio talk show host, tax money spent on Pittsburgh public school students was $22,000 per student. At Mt. Lebanon High School it is &13,000 per student. Now compare the Test Scores.

Results of an inner city expensive social liberal program:
On one day, you give a person a free FISH, the person is happy and their belly is full.

On another day, you teach the person HOW to fish and you buy them the equipment.

On the next day, the person shows up and says, "Where is my FREE fish".

If you ask an inner city public school teacher why are their standard test scores are so low? They reply it is because the students parents do not care and it is not the teachers fault. WHO TAUGHT THE PARENTS??? (The same teachers)

Woody High School is not only a "gun free zone" it is a "parent free zone". The problem rests with the latter, not the former. (There is a great article entitled, There Once Was a Churchill High School. Great story a synopsis of todays liberal cesspool.

An excellent parallel article about Urban Terrorism in todays society is the story about the Ugundin Elephants. In short, because of a lack of funds, all the Bull elephants were removed from the family structure and what happened to the remaining Mothers and their juvenile siblings.

Cliff, I'm very familiar with both streets and lived off of Lenox, I have no fear...no need to feel sorry for me.
I never stated Forest Hills is a bad area, parts are getting that way.
I have family and friends that live in Forest Hills, their crime alert may change many opinions, Forest Hills keeps most under wraps.
The apartments above Fazio's hair salon, the housing that replaced Atlantic Avenue school and behind Taco Bell...do a little check, not sure you'll find anything by design.
I love Forest Hills, my old stomping grounds, things changed..unfortunately.

Heck, even Paul Evans lived in the area... Behind the HS..
This post was edited on 2/11 3:43 PM by Pitt-Chains

Yeah. Maybe a little drug business here and there in forest hills but when I think of bad, or "getting bad" I think of violence. And there isnt too much of that. Unless you count up by Braddock Hills shopping center and the Propel School incident.

And to whomever posted that comment about 1000 black kids getting killed by white officers causes and outrage but 1000 blacks killing blacks doesnt...totally wrong and completely typical cluelessness...and here's why; You dont see the outrage of black on black crimes on tv because the black community trying to cure itself of its ills isnt newsworthy. Violence is. If it bleeds, it leads. And Id ask to what black communities you have traveled and what people you have spoken to where you could make a statement as to what is or isnt a hot button issue in the black community. You know, since you can pontificate as to how we feel and whatnot.

Originally posted by recruitsreadtheseboards:
Originally posted by rpost3:

The Irish and Italians were never criticized?

How were they even worse?
They were definitely "criticized" in a similar fashion by the right wingers of their day.

The Italians favorite games were gang warfare consisting of bombings, machine gun drive byes, and extortion and kidnap-for-ransom of people not even involved in organized crime. They were often front page news in major US cities in the late 19th and early 20th century for kidnapping people and mailing pieces of their skin to family members until they got their ransom money. Those stories are all over the Pittsburgh Press' online Google archives. I'd say the Italians initiated the No Snitching culture here, but the patriots of the 1700s and Irish of the 1800s beat them to it.

The Irish were more hated, probably because there were more of them, they were more rambunctious, and they got an earlier start here. Whole political movements evolved from the public's racism toward the Irish. Politicians ran on platforms of deporting the Irish and keeping America "American." Luckily they arrived in such huge numbers during the famine and bred so often that they were able to eventually gain power through sheer numbers via Tammany Hall.

And btw, it wasn't the free black people that injured thousands and killed over 100 people in Manhattan in response to being drafted to fight for the North during the Civil War while those with $300 (about $5,000 in today's value) could buy their way out of service. It was the Irish. They burned down an orphanage, among other buildings. And they actually charged Northern troops who had to march to NYC from Gettysburg immediately after fighting Robert E Lee's boys for 3 days because the Irish defeated the NYPD and took over most of the island with nobody to stop them. The riot went on for 4.5 days. And that was just the major one. Their main targets were who they blamed for the Civil War - rich people, the government, and blacks. 90% of the black population fled Manhattan after that and never returned. Better off in the Bronx and Brooklyn than getting strung up by a pack of Paddies.

Lets just say it didn't help the Irish image here and abroad. They were routinely depicted as uncouth gorillas dressed like leprechauns and waving whiskey in countless political cartoons that also exist in Google's news archives. A Harpers Weekly editorial from described the Irish as an unappreciative lot who've thanked America for its generosity (lol) with superstition, crime and ignorance...citing a statistic describing 75% of criminals in America as Irish.

They eventually bred so much that they were able to vote their way into city hall and hence police forces. Once they held office, they were able to set policies that benefited their people instead of leaving them to rot.

Funny how it all comes back to poverty and squalor.

I'm Irish/Italian btw, which is how I found myself in this niche hobby. I don't get my info from radio windbags, hate websites or randomly drawn conclusions. I've read hundreds of editorials and news accounts about the Irish and Italians (and early colonists) in America and have picked through at least 50 books . Several are free online via Google Books. Many can be found for under $8 in used bookstores.

This post was edited on 2/10 4:54 PM by rpost3
Sorry. I am not buying the narrative of just mindless shooting as being a condition of poverty. If it involved a robbery, maybe. But it is typical liberal narrative that tries and make an excuse for a group of people that seem to not have any control of themselves nor their emotions. Why does being poor mean you should own a gun? What is the connection and reason? Bull crap.

And Italians and Irish...give me a break. What also happened to the Italians and Irish? They worked to assimilate through the stereotypes to become constructive parts of sociery.

EVERY group has been disrespected, have been judged against, have been stereotyped to varying degrees, that doesn't give any group the right and carte blanche to just take it out to turn the streets into Deadwood and the OK Corral because someone looked at you wrong.

It is BS. Complete and utter BS. Doesn't matter if it is an African American kid, or a goofy, nerdy white kid who is disrespected and bullied. The problem is, the latter is big new, leafing off the news, and has op/ed columns written ad nauseum, the former almost expected, a dog bites man type of story. Isn't this wrong?

And to the African American community who cries out for equality, aren't you guys tired of the liberal narrative that suggest that you in fact aren't equal, that you need special rules and consideration to succeed in this world? Cause that ain't equality.

And to the same community, one white cop shooting a black kid can evoke 1000's of people protesting in anger, while 1000's of black kids shooting a black kid evokes absolutely nothing from your community and its so called "leaders".

Nope. No way. I don't think MLK was dreaming of a society like this. Where black on black crime is not just accepted, but excused by the white intelligentsia.

And I know, even someone like me bringing this up will comes with the risk of being labeled a "racist" and that is the type of liberal terrorism that now exists, holding people's opinions and outrages hostage in the name of being politically correct. I do believe it in equality. And I would like to believe that he African American community would stop accepting these excuses and stop buying into the narrative and taking care of their own communities.

One final note comrade rpost, commenting on this and criticizing this group is not "hate". Will you guys stop with this crap? You are again of one those liberal elites who live in the suburbs and "studies" the plight of the bourgeoisie, and come up with your reasons that it is everyone elses fault.

Here's a clue to those suffering poverty, GO TO SCHOOL! GO TO SCHOOL! STUDY! STUDY HARDER! GO TO COLLEGE! DON'T DROP OUT!! The difference in the long past, there was REAL poverty where kids had to drop out to work in the fields or sweatshops to help support. With all the social programs now, that is almost gone. GO TO SCHOOL! STUDY! DON'T DROP OUT! It might not make you rich, but that is the key, the building blocks, the steps to a better life. Doesn't matter if you are from the mean streets of Homewood, or the Appalachian trailer parks of West Virginia and Greene County. There is a blueprint. But the Liberal Elite have already determined you can't compete with the other parts of society, so drop out, shoot, go at it, it is not your fault. Yeah, that is really helpful and uplifting isn't it?

No excuses for not GOING TO SCHOOL! STUDY! There will always be groups that have an advantage. Hell, there are groups that have an advantage over me. That is not an excuse for me saying "aww eff it, that rich kid with the Roman Numeral at the end of his name gets to go to Harvard with lesser grades.." So what. We all face people who discriminate against us, we all have people who have built in advantages over us, that is no excuse to act like a societal pariah and just take from the community. Bull Crap! Sorry.
This post was edited on 2/11 8:26 AM by recruitsreadtheseboards
I'm only liberal compared to you.
I'm definitely elite though...you must know me. Thanks, bro LOL. Don't forget my pedigree though next time. It's not all me. I was born this good. I did keep the momentum going though.
Wait...I take that back. You clearly don't know me. If you did, you know I'd never live in the suburbs. I live in Center City, Philly. You know - that big bad black city you're scared of.
Full disclosure: we do have a beach house, so I guess I technically live in the suburbs a few days a week for 7 months. Ya got me there, so one point for you.

On a more pressing matter:
You have absolutely no idea how the Irish, Italians or any other ethnic group got out of the ghetto. None whatsoever. Listening to you talk about history is like -- well, how can I put this in a way you'd understand -- OK, it's like hearing my woman trying to talk about football. She has no interest in it, so she doesn't even try. Consider following suit. You don't see me trying to talk about stuff I'm not interested enough to explore. You shouldn't either. Just don't talk about history. Ever. Stick to golf, 40 yard dash times of 15 year olds, Led Zepplin...whatever it is that catches your interests. Moving on...

"Straw man" is an over-used term, but you resorted to applying a straw man many times in your rant when you insisted on creating ridiculous points and attributing them to people non-existent you've created in your head. No sense in addressing any of them in depth, but hating black people so much that you've created some kind of mass population of black strawmen that is indifferent to murder in their own neighborhoods is a pretty valid indication that you really really really hate black people. They don't even care when their children die!

But on to your racism. Yes, you definitely hate black people. That's becomes obvious towards the beginning of your rant when you claim black people can't control their emotions and aren't constructive members of society. Pretty funny coming from someone who can't even control his emotions on an internet message board and is unlikely to be a constructive member of society himself despite winning the birth lottery. And be happy you were born on 3rd base instead of ending up a black kid in the ghetto. It gives you a nice comfy perch from that mountain of mediocrity you're lecturing them from despite the fact that you're clearly no scholar yourself.

I would not cite Marty Griffin as the bible regarding anything.

If those numbers are anywhere close to accurate, it is because they are comparing apples to oranges. Mt.Lebanon provides no bus service and I am sure the City schools do. The City schools might also provide a meal to those students coming from families too poor to provide one of their own. A comparison of costs including these items is no comparison at all.

Who you are born to can give you a decided edge or impediment. Where you go to school should not add to that edge or impediment. These are PUBLIC schools. There should not be one school system for the poor and one school system for the wealthy. That is wrong and it needs to be changed.

The wealthy can clearly regain their competitive advantage when it comes time to select a college.

Originally posted by gary2:
I would not cite Marty Griffin as the bible regarding anything.

If those numbers are anywhere close to accurate, it is because they are comparing apples to oranges. Mt.Lebanon provides no bus service and I am sure the City schools do. The City schools might also provide a meal to those students coming from families too poor to provide one of their own. A comparison of costs including these items is no comparison at all.

Who you are born to can give you a decided edge or impediment. Where you go to school should not add to that edge or impediment. These are PUBLIC schools. There should not be one school system for the poor and one school system for the wealthy. That is wrong and it needs to be changed.

The wealthy can clearly regain their competitive advantage when it comes time to select a college.
Pittsburgh City schools spend a lot of money per student. Their teachers are some of the highest paid in the state (and probably the country). Money helps but it only goes so far. Test scores are a product of demographics. I laugh when I see rankings of PSSA test scores. All it is a ranking of demographics. "Wait, you mean Mt. Lebanon, USC, NA, and South Fayette scored the highest while Greensburg Salem, Plum, and EF are in the midlle, and Wilkinsburg, Clairton, and Sto-Rox were near the bottom." So, are we really ranking education or are we simply ranking the socioeconomic status of those district's families?

Ahh, nothing like a nice thread on race to bring the pantherlair community together.. Actually enjoy the name calling on here, much more enjoyable than reading about the basketball team's second half demise..

The Irish and Italians were never criticized?

How were they even worse?
They were definitely "criticized" in a similar fashion by the right wingers of their day.

The Italians favorite games were gang warfare consisting of bombings, machine gun drive byes, and extortion and kidnap-for-ransom of people not even involved in organized crime. They were often front page news in major US cities in the late 19th and early 20th century for kidnapping people and mailing pieces of their skin to family members until they got their ransom money. Those stories are all over the Pittsburgh Press' online Google archives. I'd say the Italians initiated the No Snitching culture here, but the patriots of the 1700s and Irish of the 1800s beat them to it.

The Irish were more hated, probably because there were more of them, they were more rambunctious, and they got an earlier start here. Whole political movements evolved from the public's racism toward the Irish. Politicians ran on platforms of deporting the Irish and keeping America "American." Luckily they arrived in such huge numbers during the famine and bred so often that they were able to eventually gain power through sheer numbers via Tammany Hall.

And btw, it wasn't the free black people that injured thousands and killed over 100 people in Manhattan in response to being drafted to fight for the North during the Civil War while those with $300 (about $5,000 in today's value) could buy their way out of service. It was the Irish. They burned down an orphanage, among other buildings. And they actually charged Northern troops who had to march to NYC from Gettysburg immediately after fighting Robert E Lee's boys for 3 days because the Irish defeated the NYPD and took over most of the island with nobody to stop them. The riot went on for 4.5 days. And that was just the major one. Their main targets were who they blamed for the Civil War - rich people, the government, and blacks. 90% of the black population fled Manhattan after that and never returned. Better off in the Bronx and Brooklyn than getting strung up by a pack of Paddies.

Lets just say it didn't help the Irish image here and abroad. They were routinely depicted as uncouth gorillas dressed like leprechauns and waving whiskey in countless political cartoons that also exist in Google's news archives. A Harpers Weekly editorial from described the Irish as an unappreciative lot who've thanked America for its generosity (lol) with superstition, crime and ignorance...citing a statistic describing 75% of criminals in America as Irish.

They eventually bred so much that they were able to vote their way into city hall and hence police forces. Once they held office, they were able to set policies that benefited their people instead of leaving them to rot.

Funny how it all comes back to poverty and squalor.

I'm Irish/Italian btw, which is how I found myself in this niche hobby. I don't get my info from radio windbags, hate websites or randomly drawn conclusions. I've read hundreds of editorials and news accounts about the Irish and Italians (and early colonists) in America and have picked through at least 50 books . Several are free online via Google Books. Many can be found for under $8 in used bookstores.

This post was edited on 2/10 4:54 PM by rpost3
Sorry. I am not buying the narrative of just mindless shooting as being a condition of poverty. If it involved a robbery, maybe. But it is typical liberal narrative that tries and make an excuse for a group of people that seem to not have any control of themselves nor their emotions. Why does being poor mean you should own a gun? What is the connection and reason? Bull crap.

And Italians and Irish...give me a break. What also happened to the Italians and Irish? They worked to assimilate through the stereotypes to become constructive parts of sociery.

EVERY group has been disrespected, have been judged against, have been stereotyped to varying degrees, that doesn't give any group the right and carte blanche to just take it out to turn the streets into Deadwood and the OK Corral because someone looked at you wrong.

It is BS. Complete and utter BS. Doesn't matter if it is an African American kid, or a goofy, nerdy white kid who is disrespected and bullied. The problem is, the latter is big new, leafing off the news, and has op/ed columns written ad nauseum, the former almost expected, a dog bites man type of story. Isn't this wrong?

And to the African American community who cries out for equality, aren't you guys tired of the liberal narrative that suggest that you in fact aren't equal, that you need special rules and consideration to succeed in this world? Cause that ain't equality.

And to the same community, one white cop shooting a black kid can evoke 1000's of people protesting in anger, while 1000's of black kids shooting a black kid evokes absolutely nothing from your community and its so called "leaders".

Nope. No way. I don't think MLK was dreaming of a society like this. Where black on black crime is not just accepted, but excused by the white intelligentsia.

And I know, even someone like me bringing this up will comes with the risk of being labeled a "racist" and that is the type of liberal terrorism that now exists, holding people's opinions and outrages hostage in the name of being politically correct. I do believe it in equality. And I would like to believe that he African American community would stop accepting these excuses and stop buying into the narrative and taking care of their own communities.

One final note comrade rpost, commenting on this and criticizing this group is not "hate". Will you guys stop with this crap? You are again of one those liberal elites who live in the suburbs and "studies" the plight of the bourgeoisie, and come up with your reasons that it is everyone elses fault.

Here's a clue to those suffering poverty, GO TO SCHOOL! GO TO SCHOOL! STUDY! STUDY HARDER! GO TO COLLEGE! DON'T DROP OUT!! The difference in the long past, there was REAL poverty where kids had to drop out to work in the fields or sweatshops to help support. With all the social programs now, that is almost gone. GO TO SCHOOL! STUDY! DON'T DROP OUT! It might not make you rich, but that is the key, the building blocks, the steps to a better life. Doesn't matter if you are from the mean streets of Homewood, or the Appalachian trailer parks of West Virginia and Greene County. There is a blueprint. But the Liberal Elite have already determined you can't compete with the other parts of society, so drop out, shoot, go at it, it is not your fault. Yeah, that is really helpful and uplifting isn't it?

No excuses for not GOING TO SCHOOL! STUDY! There will always be groups that have an advantage. Hell, there are groups that have an advantage over me. That is not an excuse for me saying "aww eff it, that rich kid with the Roman Numeral at the end of his name gets to go to Harvard with lesser grades.." So what. We all face people who discriminate against us, we all have people who have built in advantages over us, that is no excuse to act like a societal pariah and just take from the community. Bull Crap! Sorry.

This post was edited on 2/11 8:26 AM by recruitsreadtheseboards
I'm only liberal compared to you.
I'm definitely elite though...you must know me. Thanks, bro LOL. Don't forget my pedigree though next time. It's not all me. I was born this good. I did keep the momentum going though.
Wait...I take that back. You clearly don't know me. If you did, you know I'd never live in the suburbs. I live in Center City, Philly. You know - that big bad black city you're scared of.
Full disclosure: we do have a beach house, so I guess I technically live in the suburbs a few days a week for 7 months. Ya got me there, so one point for you.

On a more pressing matter:
You have absolutely no idea how the Irish, Italians or any other ethnic group got out of the ghetto. None whatsoever. Listening to you talk about history is like -- well, how can I put this in a way you'd understand -- OK, it's like hearing my woman trying to talk about football. She has no interest in it, so she doesn't even try. Consider following suit. You don't see me trying to talk about stuff I'm not interested enough to explore. You shouldn't either. Just don't talk about history. Ever. Stick to golf, 40 yard dash times of 15 year olds, Led Zepplin...whatever it is that catches your interests. Moving on...

"Straw man" is an over-used term, but you resorted to applying a straw man many times in your rant when you insisted on creating ridiculous points and attributing them to people non-existent you've created in your head. No sense in addressing any of them in depth, but hating black people so much that you've created some kind of mass population of black strawmen that is indifferent to murder in their own neighborhoods is a pretty valid indication that you really really really hate black people. They don't even care when their children die!

But on to your racism. Yes, you definitely hate black people. That's becomes obvious towards the beginning of your rant when you claim black people can't control their emotions and aren't constructive members of society. Pretty funny coming from someone who can't even control his emotions on an internet message board and is unlikely to be a constructive member of society himself despite winning the birth lottery. And be happy you were born on 3rd base instead of ending up a black kid in the ghetto. It gives you a nice comfy perch from that mountain of mediocrity you're lecturing them from despite the fact that you're clearly no scholar yourself.
You're a complete piece of shit. Eff you. Maybe we can meet and "discuss" next year. Again, you have nothing to add, so you play the card, shouting "racist". EVERYONE was having a somewhat civil conversation, and even if not totally agreeing, agreeing that there are issues. But here you come with Jesse Jackson gasoline hose, shooting the racisim fuel onto the fire and probably causing this thread to be removed.

Well done asshole. You lose, I know most of the people on this thread see through your posts.

As one area is robbed out, the gangstas move into the next area. Until the goofy Supreme Court wises up, this pattern will continue.

LOL black people are the ones who can't control their emotions, huh recruitsreadtheseboards?

LOL black people are the ones who can't control their emotions, huh recruitsreadtheseboards?
You posted in this thread....."nobody knows but me".

So you got all the answers. Love the Italians and Irish comparison. How did they get out of it? Of course you know. No one else does. But I would guess the answers are they actually went to school and got jobs.

"nobody knows but me". Priceless.

Gary this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. The problem with these poor school districts is their inability to separate the good kids from the bad kids. Thus the good kids get left behind.

so basically you are proposing the same thing on a macro level.

The problem isn't the teachers or the books. Sorry.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Perhaps then we should just move all the Mt Lebanon teachers to the Pittsburgh city schools and all will be solved.

Originally posted by jtownknowitall:

Perhaps then we should just move all the Mt Lebanon teachers to the Pittsburgh city schools and all will be solved.
Don't laugh, there are people out there that honestly believe test scores are reflective of the teachers' ability and the academic curriculum at those schools. One of those was Idiot Corbett, who was one of the first PA governors ever to lose re-election mostly because of the way he butchered education (though he blamed his loss on Sandusky). He apportioned state funding by test scores. The higher you scored, the more you got. So, the rich districts got more money and the Clairton's and Wilkinsburg's got nothing. There was no baseline element added. Inotherwords, lets say Mt. Lebanon should score an 88 (i have no idea how PSSA is scored, just making up a number), but they instead score an 86, well then that SHOULD be bad. And if Clairton's baseline is 65 but they score a 67, their district and teachers should be rewarded and hailed as possibly being even better than Mt. Lebo's teachers since they got their kids to exceed expectations.

Not the teachers and books agree.

Not to hit on Woody high, there were classes eliminated due to no minorities enrolled in the classes... Make everyone average...
Or as many did... Move.

I have to jump in here rpost. Just so we're clear, my IMMEDIATE family is of mixed race, so we can take the racism label right off the table. Okay?

Just a little story. My grandparents fled Europe in the 1920's. Without anything. They came here to start a better life. After having 3 children my grandfather tragically died of a stroke leaving my grandmother, my father, the eldest at age 12 and 2 younger brothers. They were dirt poor. My grandmother worked 2 jobs daily, one as a cafeteria worker in a local school and then would jump on a bus to downtown and worked the late shift as a maid at the Hilton just to keep food on the table. My father was charged with taking care of his siblings, getting everyone off to school, making dinner and making sure all homework was done (including his own). On his 18th birthday, he joined the Army because he knew the only way to get a college education was through the GI Bill. After being discharged, he worked full-time and went to Pitt undergrad and Dental School. His 2 younger brothers? One graduated with a doctorate in Electrical engineering and worked at Westinghouse his whole life. His other brother got his doctorate in Chemical Engineering, went onto to work for Exxon/Mobil, eventually retiring as the President of Mobil Oil, Saudi Arabia.

They had no help and as immigrants, not a whole lot of respect either. But you know what? They are living proof that hard work is the answer to escape poverty. There was never a thought about crime to ease their suffering. It's a choice rpost. Some people get dealt a good hand and others not so much. But excuses are just that - excuses. Hard work, sacrifice and education can lift anyone to a better life. But like I said it's a choice. Using your race, sex, religion, etc. as a reason why you cannot rise above is a cop out. I am the product of such a family.

This post was edited on 2/12 5:23 PM by pitt-girl

I love threads involving race.. everyone getting pissed off, name calling, people calling others racist.. Fantastic.. Did anyone enjoy rpost telling recruits... to stick to led zeppelin as much as I did??

Originally posted by Pghfan:

I love threads involving race.. everyone getting pissed off, name calling, people calling others racist.. Fantastic.. Did anyone enjoy rpost telling recruits... to stick to led zeppelin as much as I did??
Amazing to me as much as I say white people who use these excuses for minorities are not helping matters, and that education and hard work is what is the path to a better life is racist. And you enjoy that. That helps advance our society. That really helps. Obviously when you allow excuses and lower expectations for groups of people, you essentially create either a culture of crime or dependents of the state. But it is funny when apologists call others who would like the problem to be solved instead of the pseudo academic "studies" that do nothing but keep this cycle going. It is funny.

Really. are you that much of an idiot? I bet your kids are just shining examples of great parenting.

Amazing to me as much as I say white people who use these excuses for minorities are not helping matters, and that education and hard work is what is the path to a better life is racist. And you enjoy that. That helps advance our society. That really helps. Obviously when you allow excuses and lower expectations for groups of people, you essentially create either a culture of crime or dependents of the state. But it is funny when apologists call others who would like the problem to be solved instead of the pseudo academic "studies" that do nothing but keep this cycle going. It is funny.

Really. are you that much of an idiot? I bet your kids are just shining examples of great parenting.
I do agree with much of what you say. However, I have to ask, what is the solution? Should the President just address poor people and say "go to school, don't drop out, work hard, and go to college," and they'll do it and everything will change? These kids are a product of the environments they are living in. A lot of people don't realize how difficult it is to do the right thing in those environments. Some kids make it, most don't.

When you are born with 2 strikes against you, the only way out is a strong, personal inner-drive. Not everybody has that. Some of us would not have made it out if we were born in similar circumstances.

Originally posted by Sean Miller Fan:

I do agree with much of what you say. However, I have to ask, what is the solution? Should the President just address poor people and say "go to school, don't drop out, work hard, and go to college," and they'll do it and everything will change? These kids are a product of the environments they are living in. A lot of people don't realize how difficult it is to do the right thing in those environments. Some kids make it, most don't.

When you are born with 2 strikes against you, the only way out is a strong, personal inner-drive. Not everybody has that. Some of us would not have made it out if we were born in similar circumstances.
That is the zillion dollar question isn't it? I don't know. It does start with leadership though, right? I mean, I totally agree that teachers in Wilkinsburg are not any less dedicated than they are in Mt. Lebanon, and in fact I think we can all make a case they are more dedicated. It starts at home, with better parenting. I can say this, I also don't see the shining examples of better parenting in the white suburban districts either. No personal accountability, personal responsible combined with this selfie "look at me" society, well I think honestly we are at the end of our Empire, like the Romans, our end time is near.

I mean when you have kids shooting and killing another kid then taking a selfie of him and the dead victim, what the bleep? Not just the disregard for human life, but the utter lack of awareness that dude, this is not a good thing, you are going to jail and you just sealed your fate. How clueless and lack of awareness can there be?

People who have accomplished a lot in their life have come from all facets of society, but like you said, odds are stacked against certain groups. I know that. But the fact is, you can't give people excuses and accept these excuses as predetermined reasons to fail.

And you have to be able to debate, legislate and provide justice without regards to being held hostage by those who want to lable everything as racists, because I just think a lot of people don't want to try, and won't say anything for fear of being ruined by the PC race baiting crowd. .

Pghfan posted on 2/12/2015...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree Pghfan!

I haven't made one post to this thread except for now but I read it multiple times a day.
Isn't it great that everyone can have their say, their position on an issue and not be rounded up and executed for speaking out!
It's one of the things that makes the country great! It is a great country!
So as other posters pointed out life is about a series of simple but important choices especially for urban youth or inhabitants of the world class generational ghetto's that the liberals in this country have worked hard to build.
Choice #1-
-finish school
I'll quote Sonny Liston (1964) as he addressed an inner city HS- " work hard, study hard. and don't rob no liquor stores" that says it all doesn't it.Imagine how much better off we'd be if inner city youth had listened to S. Liston!I never heard A. Sharpton tell anyone this?
-further your education
-refine you communications skills
In other words drop the mo f-uk-- language
-get a job & improve your skills ( fyi dress like a human that always helps)

I guess most of us on this board did these things or most of them and it wasn't that hard was it.

or

Choice #2-
1. do nothing ( your choice), remain in the ghetto, with no skills , with no hope, and most likely a life of crime

Unfortunately we've made it way to easy to select Choice # 2. The "ticking timebomb. These policies foster the breakup of the minority family creating minimal parental guidance and one parent minority households.

Go Pitt!

This post was edited on 2/13 8:22 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/13 8:26 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/13 8:31 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/13 8:43 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/13 8:49 AM by goat123

Originally posted by goat123:

Pghfan posted on 2/12/2015...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree Pghfan!

I haven't made one post to this thread except for now but I read it multiple times a day.

Isn't it great that everyone can have their say, their position on an issue and not be rounded up and executed for speaking out!

It's one of the things that makes the country great! It is a great country!

So as other posters pointed out life is about a series of simple but important choices especially for urban youth or inhabitants of the world class generational ghetto's that the liberals in this country have worked hard to build.

Choice #1-

-finish school
I'll quote Sonny Liston (1964) as he addressed an inner city HS- " work hard, study hard. and don't rob no liquor stores" that says it all doesn't it.Imagine how much better off we'd be if inner city youth had listened to S. Liston!I never heard A. Sharpton tell anyone this?

-further your education

-refine you communications skills
In other words drop the mo f-uk-- language

-get a job & improve your skills ( fyi dress like a human that always helps)

I guess most of us on this board did these things or most of them and it wasn't that hard was it.

or

Choice #2-
1. do nothing ( your choice), remain in the ghetto, with no skills , with no hope, and most likely a life of crime

Unfortunately we've made it way to easy to select Choice # 2. The "ticking timebomb."

Go Pitt!

This post was edited on 2/13 8:22 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/13 8:26 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/13 8:31 AM by goat123
You're oversimplifying it and its naive to make it sound as if its a simple choice when some of these youths are growing up in environments where they are pre-conditioned to make the wrong choice.

What if I said becoming a millionaire is a simple choice for suburban kids? Study hard, perfect your communication skills, network, schmooze, and find a few professional mentors. In due time, you'll wind up with some $300K-$500K per year job. Doesn't sound that difficult does it? But most suburan kids don't end up making $300K-$500K per year even though the path is just a simple choice they have to make. Instead most of these kids make choices that result in $50K-$75K per year jobs.

I do agree with you that we've made it easy for poor kids to make the wrong choice. The vast amount of social programs ensure they will have food, housing, and enough money to live on. Its enough of an incentive not to try. And I'm not disagreeing with those programs, necessarily, but they are what they are. If you cut them, crime skyrockets in the short-term. If you give them a lot more, crime goes way down (as there would not be as much incentive to pursue a life of crime), but at the expense of the 50% of Americans who pay taxes.........and people don't like paying taxes. So, FDR chose the middle ground option. He gave them life's necessities and enough money to live on with the hope that crime would stay in those communities and not affect the taxpayers. And that is essentially what has happened besides the isolated cases that you hear about like the Monroeville Mall case where it spread to a suburban area.

Hey, I just enjoyed the "stick with Led Zeppelin" comment. You guys want to solve America's social-economic issues on a Pitt message board, I wish you all the luck. I just enjoy reading this thread and seeing how pissed off people get.. Does that make me a jerk? Actually yes it does.. Think you are over-simplifying the "get an education" leads to riches argument though.. The 4 year degree loses it's value more and more every year.
This post was edited on 2/13 10:29 AM by Pghfan

That is the zillion dollar question isn't it? I don't know. It does start with leadership though, right? I mean, I totally agree that teachers in Wilkinsburg are not any less dedicated than they are in Mt. Lebanon, and in fact I think we can all make a case they are more dedicated. It starts at home, with better parenting. I can say this, I also don't see the shining examples of better parenting in the white suburban districts either. No personal accountability, personal responsible combined with this selfie "look at me" society, well I think honestly we are at the end of our Empire, like the Romans, our end time is near.
____________________________________________________________________________________

You can add white/redneck rural districts also.

The Roman empire line is a good one. I think of something you've said a while ago where there are many places in this country who think the state university's only goal is to field a great football team.

I think you see so many senseless killings and brutality and crime in innercity (disadvantaged) neighborhoods all over the country is due to several reasons. The violence has gone on for a long time and so many men from those areas have spent time in prison and so many people have been senselessly killed even over trivial things as in a simple argument. I think prison isn't as scary to them as it would be to me. So many people have been there or are still there that many young offenders can do the time if they had to. So many people are desensitized and used to such violence and don't think twice about pulling out a gun and start shooting. What's the worst that can happen? Prison time? A lot of guys can do that "standing on their head" because they are so used to it. They are just fearless and not too afraid of prison time any more since it's so common for so many. It's a terrible way to live and so many good people get killed in the crossfire. It's a fact of life.

Kbuckeye1 posted on 2/13/2015...

I think you see so many senseless killings and brutality and crime in innercity (disadvantaged) neighborhoods all over the country is due to several reasons. The violence has gone on for a long time and so many men from those areas have spent time in prison and so many people have been senselessly killed even over trivial things as in a simple argument. I think prison isn't as scary to them as it would be to me. So many people have been there or are still there that many young offenders can do the time if they had to. So many people are desensitized and used to such violence and don't think twice about pulling out a gun and start shooting. What's the worst that can happen? Prison time? A lot of guys can do that "standing on their head" because they are so used to it. They are just fearless and not too afraid of prison time any more since it's so common for so many. It's a terrible way to live and so many good people get killed in the crossfire. It's a fact of life.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Excellent point about the " fear of incarceration."

I'm the kind of person who tries to follow the rules and law everyday.My day and year gets wrecked if I get a speeding ticket which I got this year leaving for our 300 mile drive to a Pitt home game at 4 am one Saturday morning.

Sweat poured out of me with each step the PA State Trooper took toward my open window which contained my hand, license, insurance card and registration.

That bothered my for a long time!

Arrested! Jail! Prison! Prison! are you kidding me those are terrifying words in my personal dictionary.

Good point!

Go Pitt!
This post was edited on 2/13 2:03 PM by goat123

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT