ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shooting at Monroeville Mall......

Originally posted by pitt-girl:

Originally posted by California Panther:
Appears Terelle Pryor was right there. Isn't this the second big shooting at Monroeville Mall? Two words: Ross Park.
Sorry, I left the area in 1970, so my memory may be vague--what does Ross Park have to do with Monroeville Mall?
Sorry, I didn't do a very good job - I meant that if shopping is your object, Ross Park might be a better destination at this point.
I"d suggest Amazon.com

Malls are dreadful and always have been.

Originally posted by Pghfan:

Hey, I just enjoyed the "stick with Led Zeppelin" comment. You guys want to solve America's social-economic issues on a Pitt message board, I wish you all the luck. I just enjoy reading this thread and seeing how pissed off people get.. Does that make me a jerk? Actually yes it does.. Think you are over-simplifying the "get an education" leads to riches argument though.. The 4 year degree loses it's value more and more every year.
This post was edited on 2/13 10:29 AM by Pghfan
It's not the acquisition of the college degree per se that is most important, it is the DRIVE to get there that is. When someone faces insurmountable obstacles to get that far, they have already become a success. And success is not just about "riches" BTW.

Originally posted by Pghfan:

Hey, I just enjoyed the "stick with Led Zeppelin" comment. You guys want to solve America's social-economic issues on a Pitt message board, I wish you all the luck. I just enjoy reading this thread and seeing how pissed off people get.. Does that make me a jerk? Actually yes it does.. Think you are over-simplifying the "get an education" leads to riches argument though.. The 4 year degree loses it's value more and more every year.

This post was edited on 2/13 10:29 AM by Pghfan
I can't argue with you there. I know, like I said, I don't have an answer, but when a majority of these people don't try.....well that was my point. It is no different than the poverty and malaise by white Appalachia, which generation after generation have perfected living off of our government that they completely lose sight of working or education.

And yeah, I come across blunt, but I am not as pissed as I am frustrated that a lot of liberal elitists just excuse one race, but really don't cut the hillbillies the same slack, even though it is the same breakdown in basic fundamentals of family, work and education.

Notice, I did not even go to religion. I am not religious at all. I think a good moral base is great, but I think there is many more ways to achieve this than organized religion, which in many cases, just exacerbate a lot of these problems, especially racism.

Originally posted by SoufOaklin4Life:
UP#1 is upset this area doesn't recruit enough white shooters.
Dammit, we don't have enough good shooters!! But yeah, I would take Jason Maile right now.

Originally posted by SoufOaklin4Life:
I'm amused by my own joke, even if nobody else is.
I was amused by my Carolina Ford Dealers rant ...................being the week of UNC game, you don't think went on a fishing expedition???

I have to jump in here rpost. Just so we're clear, my IMMEDIATE family is of mixed race, so we can take the racism label right off the table. Okay?

Just a little story. My grandparents fled Europe in the 1920's. Without anything. They came here to start a better life. After having 3 children my grandfather tragically died of a stroke leaving my grandmother, my father, the eldest at age 12 and 2 younger brothers. They were dirt poor. My grandmother worked 2 jobs daily, one as a cafeteria worker in a local school and then would jump on a bus to downtown and worked the late shift as a maid at the Hilton just to keep food on the table. My father was charged with taking care of his siblings, getting everyone off to school, making dinner and making sure all homework was done (including his own). On his 18th birthday, he joined the Army because he knew the only way to get a college education was through the GI Bill. After being discharged, he worked full-time and went to Pitt undergrad and Dental School. His 2 younger brothers? One graduated with a doctorate in Electrical engineering and worked at Westinghouse his whole life. His other brother got his doctorate in Chemical Engineering, went onto to work for Exxon/Mobil, eventually retiring as the President of Mobil Oil, Saudi Arabia.

They had no help and as immigrants, not a whole lot of respect either. But you know what? They are living proof that hard work is the answer to escape poverty. There was never a thought about crime to ease their suffering. It's a choice rpost. Some people get dealt a good hand and others not so much. But excuses are just that - excuses. Hard work, sacrifice and education can lift anyone to a better life. But like I said it's a choice. Using your race, sex, religion, etc. as a reason why you cannot rise above is a cop out. I am the product of such a family.

This post was edited on 2/12 5:23 PM by pitt-girl
Read this and wondered about the difference between European immigrants who chose to come to America to start a better life versus Africans who were forced to come to this country and sold into slavery.

Your grandparents came over and had a plan for what they needed to do to succeed. Many African Americans come from a culture that started out under slavery and there were no options or choices. So what cultural legacy is there to follow when perhaps you can trace your start in this country to bondage?

Hard work on a daily basis kept you from being whipped. Maybe that is a reward in some people's vision but not too much of one.

So after Lincoln emancipated slaves, I am certain every white American in the country embraced each freed slave and welcomed them into American society.

I also know that most European immigrants weren't welcomed and the moment they began speaking people were as biased against them as against anyone. But if you are African American, bias can certainly happen from 100 yards away.

I appreciate the trek your grandparents made but it is apples and oranges comparison to what ails society today. Hard work might lift you out of a situation but what do you fall back on as an historic example of how this would help African American society. I can see very little.

I do wish that many more African American leaders would speak out more harshly against Black on Black violence than they do. But maybe I am just as guilty being a Roman Catholic when I heard about atrocities that the IRA committed and tried to understand what drove my Catholic brothers in Ireland to have to do that. It is not uncommon to look for a reason to ignore despicable actions that people of "our own kind" do because deep down we fear that this could easily be us.

IamHeisenberg posted on 2/14/2015...

This post was edited on 2/12 5:23 PM by pitt-girl
Read this and wondered about the difference between European immigrants who chose to come to America to start a better life versus Africans who were forced to come to this country and sold into slavery.

Your grandparents came over and had a plan for what they needed to do to succeed. Many African Americans come from a culture that started out under slavery and there were no options or choices. So what cultural legacy is there to follow when perhaps you can trace your start in this country to bondage?

Hard work on a daily basis kept you from being whipped. Maybe that is a reward in some people's vision but not too much of one.

So after Lincoln emancipated slaves, I am certain every white American in the country embraced each freed slave and welcomed them into American society.

I also know that most European immigrants weren't welcomed and the moment they began speaking people were as biased against them as against anyone. But if you are African American, bias can certainly happen from 100 yards away.

I appreciate the trek your grandparents made but it is apples and oranges comparison to what ails society today. Hard work might lift you out of a situation but what do you fall back on as an historic example of how this would help African American society. I can see very little.

I do wish that many more African American leaders would speak out more harshly against Black on Black violence than they do. But maybe I am just as guilty being a Roman Catholic when I heard about atrocities that the IRA committed and tried to understand what drove my Catholic brothers in Ireland to have to do that. It is not uncommon to look for a reason to ignore despicable actions that people of "our own kind" do because deep down we fear that this could easily be us.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

An absolute ridiculous post to link the failure of "some" urban blacks today to slavery.

Let me start off with a quick personal story: I live in a town that's mostly ( 90%) white. Years ago ( 10 or so) a hard working blue collar black family moved in. Very nice people! Their son was one of five black students in my son's senior class of 350 students. Guess who was the King of the Court was in their senior year. The one black male in a class of 350 kids? How'd that happen in almost all white town. The family moved into town, they work hard like the rest of us, they were a credit to the community, they followed the law, and bingo success! Oh yes his HS teachers voted him as " most likely to succeed."

If they followed your recipe their kid would have given up due to his "slave" background and been a "Ghetto Thug" instead of King of the Court and a very successful person in our community today!

A little effort goes a long way! Yeh!

Sure why not give another generation of " some" urban black people an excuse to continue to not seize opportunity and excel in this great country!

The don't worry we'll give you what you need to continue to not work and live in an urban ghetto" have contributed to the lack of upward mobility for " some" black people as well in addition to the breakdown of the family structure.

Everyone in this country regardless of race or religion has the opportunity to succeed. Its a matter of taking advantage of the opportunities presented to you. With all of the affirmative action, and minority preference programs for college admissions there's plenty of opportunity!
What's lacking is the desire to go after a better life which can be blamed on black community organizers and race activists who are real happy with America's world class ghettos.

Take a look at the Hispanics or Asians in this country. Many of them came from dirt poor backgrounds with no family history in America to fall back on and look at how successful they've become.

Fyi bias can happen to anyone and racism is such a lame excuse these days but its a very convientent excuse for some!

Today if you work hard, follow the law, try to be the best person possible, good parents it that applies, you'll be accepted anywhere!

Go Pitt!

This post was edited on 2/14 10:45 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/14 11:00 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/14 11:08 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/14 11:11 AM by goat123

Disagree. I am as white as they come and my ethos goes back to my great great grandparents from Poland and Russia and what I learned thru them and their legacy. If your historic legacy comes from am absolutely different starting point it is not quite as crisp.

But the shooting at Monroeville has nothing to do with success or lack thereof. Plenty of kids from successful middle class families have opted for ridiculous violence as a means to some perverse end.

Reread you post ! It was all about the plight of the urban black and discrimination!

Maybe you can work on your re-post!

Go Pitt!

Originally posted by Sean Miller Fan:
Malls are going to be added to the list of things you tell your grandkids about like video stores, home phones, and the old Big East. People are going less and less because shopping is online now. This isn't news. Some of us still go to malls for specific needs but the days of going to the mall to "go shopping" are pretty much over.

Monroeville Mall is done after these last 2 events. Its going to go the way of Century III Mall. It'll remain "open" but at half-capacity with crap stores. The only 3 malls that are going to survive the next couple decades are Ross Park, Mall at Robinson, and South Hills Village and only because of the demographics of those areas. SW PA will be a 3 mall city.
Westmoreland mall will continue to do well.

Originally posted by IamHeisenberg:

It kills me when people who are not the target audience of "black leaders" comment about what "black leaders" are or are not speaking out about. As if you know! Can you even name any "black leaders" other than the two usual targets? (As for the two of them, anyone who thinks they've been ignoring the subject can only have selectively paying attention.) By the way, who are the "white leaders", and what subjects are they speaking about?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT