ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Skiing Turns

Duneaux Harm

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2020
Struggling to figure out what they call a certain type of skiing. My skiing turns typically consists of a mix between stem, parallel, and skidded. But I have always been amazed at folks that take a near straight downhill line with a clear turn movement but with minimal side to side movement. In essence they are turning but the side to side distance they move might be within a foot of distance outside their boots.

I certainly wish that I could ski like that but have no idea what it is even called and the mechanics that allow that calm, controlled movement.

It doesn’t seem that it is aggressive enough to be a carved turn but I do not know.

Thanks.

I learned to ski in Colorado and immediately gave it up when I moved back east but I was always fascinated at the people you speak of. They do that on relatively open, groomed slops and then hit moguls the same way. Maybe it was because I was a 300 pound snow plow in everyone's way on 160's but I was always impressed.

It's called being really good. They're basically parallel turning, but don't need to do much in order to handle the speed and complexity of the run you see them on.
It is so amazing looking. I tend to do very wide parallels across the mountain more to avoid the fallen boarders.

It's called being really good. They're basically parallel turning, but don't need to do much in order to handle the speed and complexity of the run you see them on.
Yeah -- I was gonna say, I don't think there is a name for it, but like pretty much everything, it comes from lots and lots of practice. You probably need some decent lower body strength, too.

Struggling to figure out what they call a certain type of skiing. My skiing turns typically consists of a mix between stem, parallel, and skidded. But I have always been amazed at folks that take a near straight downhill line with a clear turn movement but with minimal side to side movement. In essence they are turning but the side to side distance they move might be within a foot of distance outside their boots.

I certainly wish that I could ski like that but have no idea what it is even called and the mechanics that allow that calm, controlled movement.

It doesn’t seem that it is aggressive enough to be a carved turn but I do not know.

Thanks.
this might help..

Thanks.

I can do it and had a season pass starting when I was about 10 years old. During my senior year, you could get dismissed early if you had a study hall during last period so I'd go up to the mountain with a few friends most nights of the week and ski from 3pm-9pm or so. I also did a trip to Killington, probably 5 week long trips to Colorado, 2 week long trips to Utah, and one trip to Mont Tremblant.

Physically, I was a hoops player and track jumper so I have a strong and coordinated lower body.

But I'm like an 8/10 skiier. There's way better than me. Dudes who can do that, hit a backflip off of a mogul, and keep going. I have no idea how you get that good. Probably not by learning how to ski in Pennsylvania.

You kind of need a “not gonna die” mind set. Unfortunately, I don’t have that mind set on skis and many other adventurous avenue to that end.

Thanks.
If these turns are her I am imagining, I think it is the opposite of a carved turn. Steep edge angles grab and carve. Shallow angles skid. If you start by practicing on really gentle slopes (think the green cat tracks at HV to the right of the triples) you will can get the hang of pivoting your skis and letting the slide with almost no grabbing. At that point you just need to let your feet get outside and pivot to get them moving in the opposite direction.

Another fun thing to try is go on a steeper slope, side slip, pivot 180, side slip, repeat. It is easier than it looks and makes going slow on a steep slope almost effortless.

But yeah, the guys and gals that can do these short skidded turns at speed are impressive - and kill it in the moguls.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT