ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers hire former Falcons HC

You forgot Kittle and ayuk. But yeah it’s insane how much talent they have. And oh their OL isn’t too shabby either
The media just wants to hear themselves talk and the hoi paloi suck it all up. One week a WB sucks and the next week they are gods gift. I watched Purdy throw 3-4 4th quarter picks a few weeks ago and the mantra was that he’s trash. Now this week he’s awesome again. These QBs are largely a product of what’s around them.

Yes. The Steelers live in their fears.
Everyone is nitpicking the word "modern", maybe modernity isn't the right concept, maybe the Steelers offense is pathetic and sickens me based on risk tolerance? I personally want aggression, attack, high risk throws into dangerous areas with high risk and high reward, I want "chasing TDs" to be the priority over "protecting the ball" at all costs, people often complained Ben was picked off too much, but personally I'd be unhappy if he cut his picks in half and had an equal amount less TDs because he didn't risk the aggressive throw that could be a pick as easily as it could be a TD, I want the QB that cuts that ball loose rather than thinks twice to "protect the ball"

Everyone is nitpicking the word "modern", maybe modernity isn't the right concept, maybe the Steelers offense is pathetic and sickens me based on risk tolerance? I personally want aggression, attack, high risk throws into dangerous areas with high risk and high reward, I want "chasing TDs" to be the priority over "protecting the ball" at all costs, people often complained Ben was picked off too much, but personally I'd be unhappy if he cut his picks in half and had an equal amount less TDs because he didn't risk the aggressive throw that could be a pick as easily as it could be a TD, I want the QB that cuts that ball loose rather than thinks twice to "protect the ball"
You just described Jameis Winston lol.

I love you, man, never change.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
You just described Jameis Winston lol.

I love you, man, never change.
No, I'm describing Ben Roethlisberger. He almost always had double digit picks his entire career, but almost always 20-30 TDs to go with it-so it was worth it, I prefer that to minimizing picks by not throwing the aggressive balls that are at risk of going either way, very often Ben would throw a TD pass and you'd wonder how it wasn't picked.

For Tomlin it's not even that, he almost never even wants to call any play where Kenny might throw it to a risky spot, 1st and goal in the red zone is a good time to throw to say, the middle of the end zone, how often do they do that? just about NEVER. 99% a run, he's hoping they can break a TD run to avoid his FEAR, throwing it in scoring area.

Last edited:
You can be more creative when you have what is essentially the best RB Best Wr Best te and some of the better Wr in the game.

So sure the scheme is different because the players allow you to do different things.

Just like You can do a lot more with Mahomes than just about any other qb in the game. And even then they struggled on offense this year for the most part because their wr couldn’t hold on to the ball or stay on sides
You can win single games with inferior talent and a good game plan. Happens all the time. But you're not going to win championships with inferior talent unless you catch a lot of breaks. You don't see it happen in the pros very often if at all.

Reactions: pittbb80
No, I'm describing Ben Roethlisberger. He almost always had double digit picks his entire career, but almost always 20-30 TDs to go with it-so it was worth it, I prefer that to minimizing picks by not throwing the aggressive balls that are at risk of going either way, very often Ben would throw a TD pass and you'd wonder how it wasn't picked.

For Tomlin it's not even that, he almost never even wants to call any play where Kenny might throw it to a risky spot, 1st and goal in the red zone is a good time to throw to say, the middle of the end zone, how often do they do that? just about NEVER. 99% a run, he's hoping they can break a TD run to avoid his FEAR, throwing it in scoring area.

Is your argument that the coach wants to play ultra-conservative football without risky passes but you're also saying he had a QB for most of his coaching career that didn't adhere to that strategy?

I don’t want “modern”. I want wins. And if rooney football isn’t sexy but wins games then so be it. Average points per game in todays NFL isn’t any different than it was in any given year in the 60’s and 70’s. So this “unicorn” of modern football and points scored is just that…a unicorn.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Is your argument that the coach wants to play ultra-conservative football without risky passes but you're also saying he had a QB for most of his coaching career that didn't adhere to that strategy?
Yes, and both can be true, I don't think they were aggressive enough when they had Ben. Ben had the skills to have multiple 4000-5000 yard seasons and 40TD seasons, yet he didn't have many and no 40TD seasons. And very often a lot of Ben's best plays and most aggressive throws where when the play had broken down and he was ad libing. Early in games throughout Ben's career they'd play ultra safe until they'd fall behand and have to turn it over to Ben because there was no other choice or the half was coming to an end, instead of just opening games aggressive and playing aggressive at any time when it wasn't urgent to do so. And I think the game plan has gotten more conservative since Ben left and Kenny won't take it upon himself to take the risks anyways as Ben would have.

I don’t want “modern”. I want wins. And if rooney football isn’t sexy but wins games then so be it. Average points per game in todays NFL isn’t any different than it was in any given year in the 60’s and 70’s. So this “unicorn” of modern football and points scored is just that…a unicorn.
OK, I can agree with that, and points and TDs and yardage don't matter when I see multiple wins in the playoffs, not just in October or November, win a couple ugly 17-13 games vs. KC and Buffalo in January on consecutive weeks and I'll agree with you that this plan is viable.

So really the offense we saw the last decade with Ben was something Tomlin didn't really want, he's relieved to not have Ben throwing for 30 TDs and 4500 yards to AB and all that scary high-risk stuff. Kenny is perfect for him, few ints because he's scared to pull the trigger on the high risk/high reward passes that Ben would turn into TDs.
I would argue that Tomlin regresses to conservative, Wannstedtesque offense when possible. The O under Ben the last few years was meh. Who hired the OC's and installed their system? If he wanted a wide-open offense why did he hire Smith and Canada?

Listen, I have about as many answers as the next guy, but if I managed an organization and wanted aggressive performance/growth, I'd hire aggressive managers. If I wanted more of the same, I'd hire conservative managers who would change little but the nameplate on the door.

Reactions: Pitt79
I would literally ascend to Heaven lifted by a choir of angels if we got 2 of Kool-Aid McKinstry/Cooper DeJean/Amarius Mims/Jackson Powers-Johnson.

The problem I'm seeing with this team is the same one that has plagued us for like a dozen years. The defense we've mostly taken for granted the past handful of years (not saying it's been great at all times, but it's been mostly solid) is falling apart before our eyes... while we're still trying to fix the offense. This happened in reverse when Polamalu and company began to age out.

We've devoted the majority of our high-end draft capital to the offense for some time now, but we've hit on almost nobody in the later rounds on defense. Like we needed someone like Loudermilk (random example) to be a steal, and we just haven't had that. Even Leal (3rd round pick is pretty high in my book) seems like just not have it.

We used to hit on mid/later round guys pretty regularly, it seemed. Ike in the 4th, AB in the 6th, Kemoeatu in the 5th, etc. Just feels like we see less of that lately. Then again, we don't even hit on our 1st and 2nd rounders anymore.

I would argue that Tomlin regresses to conservative, Wannstedtesque offense when possible. The O under Ben the last few years was meh. Who hired the OC's and installed their system? If he wanted a wide-open offense why did he hire Smith and Canada?

Listen, I have about as many answers as the next guy, but if I managed an organization and wanted aggressive performance/growth, I'd hire aggressive managers. If I wanted more of the same, I'd hire conservative managers who would change little but the nameplate on the door.
He also hired Arians and Haley
So
That’s nonsense

What about Canada indicated conservative ?
This is silly revisionist history

The problem I'm seeing with this team is the same one that has plagued us for like a dozen years. The defense we've mostly taken for granted the past handful of years (not saying it's been great at all times, but it's been mostly solid) is falling apart before our eyes... while we're still trying to fix the offense. This happened in reverse when Polamalu and company began to age out.

We've devoted the majority of our high-end draft capital to the offense for some time now, but we've hit on almost nobody in the later rounds on defense. Like we needed someone like Loudermilk (random example) to be a steal, and we just haven't had that. Even Leal (3rd round pick is pretty high in my book) seems like just not have it.

We used to hit on mid/later round guys pretty regularly, it seemed. Ike in the 4th, AB in the 6th, Kemoeatu in the 5th, etc. Just feels like we see less of that lately. Then again, we don't even hit on our 1st and 2nd rounders anymore.
Agree with the overall point that you're making. We've had roster talent imbalances and that has prevented us from having a really special season. I'm of the mind that a lot of that can be fixed by simply drafting better players and not worrying about positional need. If an OT is the best guy on the board and you have 2 good OTs, just take him and figure it out. Maybe one of them gets hurt, maybe you just found a new OG, maybe you can trade one for a haul like the Dolphins did with Tunsil? In any event, collect the good players on the roster first and worry about syncing it all up later.

2024 is make or break for Kenny. And if we hit on an OL and a DB, we should still have a solid-enough team to be a contender going into 2025. Yes, being a QB away stinks but we're probably the best QB away team in the league by a wide margin. Pretty much everyone on our team is under team control for the next few years. No reason to think that a veteran QB wouldn't love to come to a team with a good OL, good weapons, and good D. Plus people love Tomlin. Bottom line is that the Steelers are a playoff team despite getting basically nothing from QB and with a stone age/backwards system. That's good! There really aren't too many problems to be solved.

As far as mid-late round gems, that's always a tough ask. But Jaylen Warren and Highsmith are quality players. Nick Herbig and Calvin Austin look like contributors. Some team-followers like Cory Trice. Find 1-2 more guys who can deliver on a minority of snaps in the 2024 class and all of the sudden things are looking up again.

Reactions: ShipofFools
He also hired Arians and Haley
So
That’s nonsense

What about Canada indicated conservative ?
This is silly revisionist history
I had to unblock you to see what you said. Of course you said something about my post. Back to ignore.

I think Haley was foisted on him by Art FWIW.
Yeah
That’s seems to be how it works in sports talk radio land
Bad draft picks - Tomlin
Good picks - Colbert
Bad coaching hires-tomlin
Good hires -rooney

Then the usual local reporters run the same gameplan every couple years

Reactions: SteelerPittFan87
Yeah
That’s seems to be how it works in sports talk radio land
Bad draft picks - Tomlin
Good picks - Colbert
Bad coaching hires-tomlin
Good hires -rooney

Then the usual local reporters run the same gameplan every couple years
Ahhhh. I see. You’re falling back to your Tomlin defense strategy by blaming the media whenever something doesn’t fit a narrative.

I was just pointing that out. I wasn’t aware that Haley was that highly regarded. Personally I liked him.

Here’s another sports radio nugget that won’t fit your narrative. it was also Rooney who forced Arians out. And Arians was a Tomlin hire who did pretty well. So there’s that.

The media generally calls it like it is. Rooney foisted Haley on Tomlin, and Rooney took Arians away from Tomlin.

Ahhhh. I see. You’re falling back to your Tomlin defense strategy by blaming the media whenever something doesn’t fit a narrative.

I was just pointing that out. I wasn’t aware that Haley was that highly regarded. Personally I liked him.

Here’s another sports radio nugget that won’t fit your narrative. it was also Rooney who forced Arians out. And Arians was a Tomlin hire who did pretty well. So there’s that.

The media generally calls it like it is. Rooney foisted Haley on Tomlin, and Rooney took Arians away from Tomlin.
Tomlin can be fired tomorrow and I won’t lose a wink of sleep

Haley was literally good enough to be a HC after being oc for Arizona
They hired by the Browns after we canned him

The local media doesn’t call anything like it is
That’s the entire point of my last post
It’s all narratives to feed the yinzer consumers what they already believe

It’s their schtick

Hey did you hear about Kordell in Schenley park ?

Ben forced Arians out . Because the Rooney’s loved him
He also forced Finctner to be hired as OC

Yeah if people haven't noticed, those offenses like Moon ran with the Oilers, and some of those huge passing offenses have backed off into more balance. Physical football has made a comeback.

So if you are of the belief that the talent is mediocre, what are you expecting out of the OC?
At least overhaul the system 100% and take your lumps, maybe have a losing record and get in position to draft better talent, especially QB.

Who was the coach those years ?
You’re stupid
He hindered Ben, Ben should have played aggressive way more than he did. You're stupid if you watched those games and didn't feel like they played really conservative until there was no other choice but to open it up, they should have played entire games opened up.

Yeah if people haven't noticed, those offenses like Moon ran with the Oilers, and some of those huge passing offenses have backed off into more balance. Physical football has made a comeback.
But in that comeback I don't think the best teams have a passing game as weak and putrid and pathetic and non-productive as Kenny and the 2 Dwarfs, Josh Dobbs threw as many TD passes as those 3 combined :)

Yes, and both can be true, I don't think they were aggressive enough when they had Ben. Ben had the skills to have multiple 4000-5000 yard seasons and 40TD seasons, yet he didn't have many and no 40TD seasons. And very often a lot of Ben's best plays and most aggressive throws where when the play had broken down and he was ad libing. Early in games throughout Ben's career they'd play ultra safe until they'd fall behand and have to turn it over to Ben because there was no other choice or the half was coming to an end, instead of just opening games aggressive and playing aggressive at any time when it wasn't urgent to do so. And I think the game plan has gotten more conservative since Ben left and Kenny won't take it upon himself to take the risks anyways as Ben would have.
It was the coaches who are conservative until they need a QB to rescue them and not be conservative but now the QB has decided to be conservative so the coaches have to be more conservative....wait, did Tomlin sabotage Ben's career, too?

The teams Moon played on were 0.500 and folded pretty quickly in the postseason most of the time. It's weird how passing kind of goes to shit when the weather starts to suck although Moon found ways to lose at home, in the dome, too. Remember when Cody Carlson was a Steeler killer, LOL?

It was the coaches who are conservative until they need a QB to rescue them and not be conservative but now the QB has decided to be conservative so the coaches have to be more conservative....wait, did Tomlin sabotage Ben's career, too?
He didn't sabotage it, it's still hall of fame 1st ballot, but Ben could have done more stats wise with a more aggressive offense and play calling and better passing concepts.

The teams Moon played on were 0.500 and folded pretty quickly in the postseason most of the time. It's weird how passing kind of goes to shit when the weather starts to suck although Moon found ways to lose at home, in the dome, too. Remember when Cody Carlson was a Steeler killer, LOL?
Yeah, thank God Brady, Favre, Rodgers, Elway, Jim Kelly, Eli, Josh Allen, Mahomes, Burrow all played in warm weather cities.

It was the coaches who are conservative until they need a QB to rescue them
So you're saying you never noticed this ever in any games with Ben playing for Tomlin? You say this never happened?

Nah it was KPs fault

Nah it was KPs fault
A lot of it is, you can't say he's been very good unless you're a delusional Pitt homer. He's had a few good drives here and there and maybe played well 10% of the time at most, but overall, he's been pretty bad, if you're being objective. If he had been from Penn State a lot of you would be happy he's playing that way and calling for him to be cut for being a pedo and making Canada look bad :)

He hindered Ben, Ben should have played aggressive way more than he did. You're stupid if you watched those games and didn't feel like they played really conservative until there was no other choice but to open it up, they should have played entire games opened up.
They’d each have another Super Bowl if Ben didn’t throw 2 IntS including a pick 6 against GB in the first half
You’ve proven to be silly

He didn't sabotage it, it's still hall of fame 1st ballot, but Ben could have done more stats wise with a more aggressive offense and play calling and better passing concepts.
He threw 6 TDs in back to back games with Tomlin as HC
You’re dim

They’d each have another Super Bowl if Ben didn’t throw 2 IntS including a pick 6 against GB in the first half
You’ve proven to be silly
INTs happen, I don't mind them, if you don't throw any, I figure you're passing on chances to throw TDs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT