ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers Off-Season QB intrigue

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
I heard Mike Tannenbaum on ESPN say that in his opinion Jimmy Garroppolo will command a 2nd/3rd round range pick along with a future mid- to late-rounder.

This is a guy who has large list of both pros and cons, but he has started a Super Bowl and an NFC title game and you only need to invest a year in him, albeit at $25 million.

I like this idea for the Steelers. Bring in Jimmy G, punt on drafting a QB this year and invest your first rounder in Lindenbaum or the best left tackle and really try to get back to being a run-first offense with a horse like Najee.

All that said, trading for a starting QB isn’t something the Steelers have ever done and that’s probably no coincidence.

Thoughts?

I heard Mike Tannenbaum on ESPN say that in his opinion Jimmy Garroppolo will command a 2nd/3rd round range pick along with a future mid- to late-rounder.

This is a guy who has large list of both pros and cons, but he has started a Super Bowl and an NFC title game and you only need to invest a year in him, albeit at $25 million.

I like this idea for the Steelers. Bring in Jimmy G, punt on drafting a QB this year and invest your first rounder in Lindenbaum or the best left tackle and really try to get back to being a run-first offense with a horse like Najee.

All that said, trading for a starting QB isn’t something the Steelers have ever done and that’s probably no coincidence.

Thoughts?
It's a new era with Ben leaving. Why start it with a 30 something QB. The correct path here is to draft the best QB available. Strengthen the rest of the team thru free agency and other draft picks. Let Rudolph and Haskins play the position till the young guy is ready. Worry about the next 12 years. Not just 2022.

The Steelers seem to be very high on Malik Willis, but he’s such a raw prospect in terms of NFL readiness. I wonder if they’d bring Jimmy G in *and* draft Willis? He could give them a shot at winning for a year while the latter uses his rookie season to watch and learn.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Thoughts?
The Steelers have traded for starting QB's, it was years ago but they traded for Bobby Layne and David Woodley.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Gosh, Jimmy G? I would seriously rather tank and get a top QB in the draft than have to give up picks and cap space for a mediocre QB. Honestly, how would getting Cam Newton be different than Jimmy G? Just get a free agent cast off, dont spend draft picks and cap space on this second tier guy

Gosh, Jimmy G? I would seriously rather tank and get a top QB in the draft than have to give up picks and cap space for a mediocre QB. Honestly, how would getting Cam Newton be different than Jimmy G? Just get a free agent cast off, dont spend draft picks and cap space on this second tier guy
Yea - The Steelers trading a 2nd round pick for Jimmy G. would be an awful move.

The Steelers are a mediocre team with a ton of holes, especially where it matters - OL and DL. They're more than a QB away even if that QB is Patrick Mahomes. The absolute worst thing they could do right now is to start trading draft picks for mediocre QBs that aren't even cost controlled. Jimmy G has 1 year left on his deal. Do you really want to trade a 2nd for Jimmy G and then have to sign him to a mega extension after 1 year?

Pure insanity.

Thoughts?
If you're going to punt on this year, then really punt. Don't bring in someone who can help you attain mediocrity. JG would do that. I think the Steelers would be between 8-9 and 10-7 with him. In the NFL mediocrity breed future mediocrity. Either draft who you think would be a future franchise QB or go with Rudolph/Haskins next year and hopefully end up with a top 10 draft pick.

The Steelers are not one year or one player away. The Chiefs and Bengals are miles ahead of us, and one draft and free agency won't fix that. The offensive line is bad. The defense is good, but not great. They need to draft with the next 3 years in mind, because they are not going to be in the playoffs next year.

They should take the best player available with a slight lean towards O-Line. This is not a strong QB class, there's no reason to reach for a QB at 20 when you can get a better QB next year picking at 12 or 14. For instance, Sam Howell? Yikes. I'm not a Mason Rudolph apologist, but you don't cash in a 1st round pick to "upgrade" from Rudolph to Howell or Ridder.

Last edited:
No to Jimmy G, he isn't worth anything near his salary and he'd struggle on a team with far weaker receiving options and line. I'd say don't draft a QB this year, address the many other areas of need in the draft, and sign a short term QB like Trubitsky or Winston to compete for the job.

Yeah, just get a cheap stop gap. Elway in his prime doesn't make this team a contender right now. Build yourself up in the trenches, and then worry about a QB next year. I'd rather spend $25 million/year on a cornerback and a lineman who will each be here the next five years. And we can certainly not afford to part with high draft picks.

No to Jimmy G or really any other retread (Mitch Trib, etc..).
Yes to drafting a qb at 20 who has makes good, quick decisions and has NFL arm, etc. I only see one qb who fits that bill, Pickett. If Pickett is gone by then, then I would take the best player available.

I’ve said this before. What’s the difference between Jimmy G and Rudolph? Yeah sure maybe one gets you on one side of the playoff bubble and the other puts you on the other side of the playoff bubble…but bubbles don’t win you championships.

I wouldn’t spend a dime or a pick on any mediocre QB until the team is stronger around him.

I’ve said this before. What’s the difference between Jimmy G and Rudolph? Yeah sure maybe one gets you on one side of the playoff bubble and the other puts you on the other side of the playoff bubble…but bubbles don’t win you championships.

I wouldn’t spend a dime or a pick on any mediocre QB until the team is stronger around him.
RIght. Why would SF let him walk for almost nothing when Lance is anything but a sure thing.

RIght. Why would SF let him walk for almost nothing when Lance is anything but a sure thing.
Read the quotes from Lynch and Shanahan from the other day. They are moving on and handing the reins to Lance.

I don’t think there is a need for the Steelers to tank. They have good players all over the place so this isn’t a 3-year rebuild. Of course, none of the good players are on the O-Line so there’s that.

Those of you content to let Rudolph start are underestimating how divisive and detrimental giving up on a season will be in Pittsburgh.

I’m not a fan of Howell but regardless, I don’t think there is or will be a rumor out there regarding who the Steelers are ‘keying on’ that can be even remotely be considered credible or accurate. Definitely not this early in the process.
Needed this thank you sir

Read the quotes from Lynch and Shanahan from the other day. They are moving on and handing the reins to Lance.
I understand that's what they're doing. My comment is aligned more to they don't care too much about Jimmy G, so anyone looking to add him should take note. Lance is a crapshoot.

Why do people keep saying wait until next year to draft a qb? They would have to lose every game to be in play for a top pick.

No one knows if these qb are bad or not. How do any of us know if Stroud or Young will pan out? The better draft a qb if they have a chance. Watching these teams this year, it was their young qbs that made them better. No team in the AFC have a great defense, but they do have young qbs.

This crap about a qb wont change a team is bull. These qbs make the whole team better. Just like the last draft, if the Steelers done screw it up, they can get a starting center in the second round. Humphrey was there and they blew it getting a te.

Why do people keep saying wait until next year to draft a qb? They would have to lose every game to be in play for a top pick.

No one knows if these qb are bad or not. How do any of us know if Stroud or Young will pan out? The better draft a qb if they have a chance. Watching these teams this year, it was their young qbs that made them better. No team in the AFC have a great defense, but they do have young qbs.

This crap about a qb wont change a team is bull. These qbs make the whole team better. Just like the last draft, if the Steelers done screw it up, they can get a starting center in the second round. Humphrey was there and they blew it getting a te.

Great point. Also love your screen name and the fact that you have under 100 posts in over 21 years of membership. You are my new favorite poster.

The only QB I would consider trading for is Jalen Hurts, for whatever reason the Eagles don't believe he is their QB of the future. He probably won't cost more than a 4th rounder if they get Watson or somebody else.

The Steelers never hide who they like and it's already being reported they really like Willis. Connecting the dots, Willis is probably QB1 and Howell QB2 as it's been reported they really like two QBs.

The way the last couple of days have gone Willis might not be there. He's raw but showing out, very toolsy. People have also praised his intangibles.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
The way the last couple of days have gone Willis might not be there. He's raw but showing out, very toolsy. People have also praised his intangibles.

Yeah doubtful they can get him. But who knows, maybe KP slides a bit at this point? Unlikely but there is still a lot of time.

Prediction - The Steelers draft Willis from Liberty.
Ugh.

He has outstanding measurables and is going to crush the combine. However he really regressed on the field this past year and put up some bad numbers against lousy competition, He is a hard pass for me.

Ugh.

He has outstanding measurables and is going to crush the combine. However he really regressed on the field this past year and put up some bad numbers against lousy competition, He is a hard pass for me.
I’m not sold on him personally, but Tomlin and Company seem to like him. I’d prefer bringing in Winston if he’s healthy. Then use the draft and free agency to start addressing the OL and other areas of need.

I’m not sold on him personally, but Tomlin and Company seem to like him. I’d prefer bringing in Winston if he’s healthy. Then use the draft and free agency to start addressing the OL and other areas of need.
Winston is still only 27 years old and is going to win for someone in the league, I would love it to be the Steelers.

Want no part of Willis.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
The Steelers never hide who they like and it's already being reported they really like Willis. Connecting the dots, Willis is probably QB1 and Howell QB2 as it's been reported they really like two QBs.
Hoping it’s gamesmanship. But if Willis has Kordell’s tools, then that’s not a bad thing.

that said, the Steelers have been talking about a mobile QB for weeks. So maybe they are truly infatuated with Willis.

Hoping it’s gamesmanship. But if Willis has Kordell’s tools, then that’s not a bad thing.

that said, the Steelers have been talking about a mobile QB for weeks. So maybe they are truly infatuated with Willis.
The Steelers don't do smokescreens when it comes to the draft. They lost out on Revis because of it. Everyone knew Najee was the pick last year and they didn't hide their love for Devin Bush either. They're very transparent throughout the draft process. It doesn't mean Willis is at the top of the draft board, but Willis and Howell are definitely at or near the top of the QB board.

Go with Rudolph this year

Build the OL (Draft, Free Agency). This is the building block for the future. It helps Najee who fought for his success this year along with any future QB's.

I dont know what Ben's retirement will save us cap-wise but we have'nt had a lot of room to maneuver recently.

Reactions: hoclaw
It's a new era with Ben leaving. Why start it with a 30 something QB. The correct path here is to draft the best QB available. Strengthen the rest of the team thru free agency and other draft picks. Let Rudolph and Haskins play the position till the young guy is ready. Worry about the next 12 years. Not just 2022.
THIS!!!^^^^

Draft a QB preferably or sign a veteran like Trubitsky. DO NOT trade draft capital for an average QB with a big cap hit like Jimmy G. Willis’ average 2021 season was disappointing, but maybe there were other factors like bad receivers or a bad line.

I’m not advocating the Steelers spending all of their potential $46 million in cap space after the hopeful cuts of Schobert and Banner, but please spend more than half of it on some free agents. There are holes that can filled: G, C, two ILB, RB.

You really need to beef up the front five before you lose a lot of sleep over acquiring the next franchise QB. It would be cruel to bring a rookie in and expect him to play behind that mess. What's worrisome is that I think the front office doesn't see the OL as a big problem because they failed to address it last year when they still had a franchise QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT