ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Supply Chain Mess

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Each one of these dots is a ship of various type right now around the Chinese port cities.

Hey, at least talking about this has some meaning and makes you think. Addison is the opposite.

almost makes you wonder why we are so dependent on a country that we share no social values or political system for our imports..

guess we cant compete with china's no skill, high labor workforce.

The answer is, at least in part, Mexico. It would cost more in labor but less in shipping and time. And we could be strengthening an ally and a neighbor in the process. I'd be willing to pay a little more to strengthen Mexico's economy and weaken China's.

And you could focus on green energy with solar given all of the sun there.

I mean the simple answer is make these products either here or in Europe…but it would mean a cut in profits for these companies

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
The supply chain problems have as much to do with "leaning" everything out and eliminating redundancy as anything else. Why have two plants on either side of the planet when you can just have one and hope it always can produce? Nobody has carried excess inventory for years and items are increasingly disposable.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
almost makes you wonder why we are so dependent on a country that we share no social values or political system for our imports..

Well......one very positive development from this and the Pandemic, is the US Government's (and trust me this is incredibly bi-partisan, you aren't hearing about this much, and that is because neither Fox nor CNN can bastardize it) but anyways, the US has realized there are critical materials that are vital not just for security purposes, but economic purposes and our way of life.

And we have managed to offshore much of this. Thank you American corporations for being so patriotic! Now, with Trump tariffs (yeah the asshole didn't do everything wrong) and the cost of shipping containers, and delays and being held hostage to port workers/rules and pandemic, the US is bringing stuff back like Intel and its chip plant in Columbus. My company has gotten alot of money to resume making materials that we discontinued a decade ago because we couldn't compete with imports. Now we can.

So as bad and incompetent as our government seems, they aren't totally without clue.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
The supply chain problems have as much to do with "leaning" everything out and eliminating redundancy as anything else. Why have two plants on either side of the planet when you can just have one and hope it always can produce? Nobody has carried excess inventory for years and items are increasingly disposable.
Yes. And China up until Xi got more power, was more open to the West and seemingly becoming more Westernized, but Xi seems to have China on this Putin trajectory back to the god ol' days of being at odds with the East.

So this also has caused alot of volatility in these industries.

Try greed and corrupt US politicians. Why did we let the Chinese buy 192,000 acres of US farmland? Why did we let the Chinese purchase meat processing companies like Smithfield and let them ship pork to China? Do you want the Chinese controlling our food supply?

Yes. And China up until Xi got more power, was more open to the West and seemingly becoming more Westernized, but Xi seems to have China on this Putin trajectory back to the god ol' days of being at odds with the East.

So this also has caused alot of volatility in these industries.
That's very true. Causing chaos for the west only benefits Xi although many corporations are enjoying the price gouging that is going along with this.

Try greed and corrupt US politicians. Why did we let the Chinese buy 192,000 acres of US farmland? Why did we let the Chinese purchase meat processing companies like Smithfield and let them ship pork to China? Do you want the Chinese controlling our food supply?
between china and bill gates buying up all the farmland, the US Farmer is facing extinction.. maybe some of these processing plants burning down every week are chinese owned ones, we can only hope.

Reactions: Farnox and dirge999
gates buying farmland isnt exactly a a rumor, it's pretty well documented.. he's the largest private farmland owner in the US.

According the the USDA website as of 2020 there were 897 million acres of farmland. So if Gates and the Chinese are buying it all up that Chinese land portfolio must be quite something. Gates’ land is not much more than a rounding error.

According the the USDA website as of 2020 there were 897 million acres of farmland. So if Gates and the Chinese are buying it all up that Chinese land portfolio must be quite something. Gates’ land is not much more than a rounding error.
Par for the course with the q crowd. Gated owns .001% of US farm land so it’s some conspiracy

Reactions: UPitt '89
Par for the course with the q crowd. Gated owns .001% of US farm land so it’s some conspiracy
You're missing the big picture... Do you KNOW how MANY 5G towers he can fit on 242,000 acres of farmland?!!? The Chinavirus (Gatesvirus) is going to be UNSTOPPABLE unless patriots stand up to him and cancel our Disney+ subscriptions.

I'm dealing with this issue daily in my line of work. We are trying to move as many Chinese specs that we traditionally sell here in the states to our other manufacturing units in Europe. Cost to ship a container from China to US for us is 25k, from Europe around 8k.

Unfortunately in my line of work we cant just switch for the sake of switching as customer approval is needed for regulation requirements among other reasons. Literally makes my life a nightmare almost daily now.

Silver lining is we will be manufacturing 80% of our products in the US within 3 years. Looking forward to seeing the "Made in the USA" stamp when that happens.

Bill Gates owning X number of farm acres has what to do with the jam on Chinese ports again??
not sure but i feel like i am partially to blame. lol, sorry, my fault.

so recruits, what's the story here man, why the bottleneck on the chinese ports? im too busy investigating food processing plant arson and bill gates diabolical attempt to ration food that i havent read up on this story..

I'm dealing with this issue daily in my line of work. We are trying to move as many Chinese specs that we traditionally sell here in the states to our other manufacturing units in Europe. Cost to ship a container from China to US for us is 25k, from Europe around 8k.

Unfortunately in my line of work we cant just switch for the sake of switching as customer approval is needed for regulation requirements among other reasons. Literally makes my life a nightmare almost daily now.

Silver lining is we will be manufacturing 80% of our products in the US within 3 years. Looking forward to seeing the "Made in the USA" stamp when that happens.
Being a domestic supplier, we were obviously killed by Chinese imports. At $6K a container. Now at $25K a container, and with the time delays, now customers are looking back and wanting our material.

China's workforce is suffering from Covid outbreaks. China refused to use mRNA vaccinations, and is left with isolation as the primary means to reduce the spread of the disease that started in their country.

They are really struggling to find enough healthy and qualified people to man their ports.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

That's an easy one.

Nothing says middle America like cheap crap from Walmart... 🤔

You're missing the big picture... Do you KNOW how MANY 5G towers he can fit on 242,000 acres of farmland?!!? The Chinavirus (Gatesvirus) is going to be UNSTOPPABLE unless patriots stand up to him and cancel our Disney+ subscriptions.
My guess was that he was gonna build factories to replace all the micro chips that have been used in the vaccines.

The answer is, at least in part, Mexico. It would cost more in labor but less in shipping and time. And we could be strengthening an ally and a neighbor in the process. I'd be willing to pay a little more to strengthen Mexico's economy and weaken China's.

And you could focus on green energy with solar given all of the sun there.

In addition, we need to accelerate and increase legal immigration.

Being a domestic supplier, we were obviously killed by Chinese imports. At $6K a container. Now at $25K a container, and with the time delays, now customers are looking back and wanting our material.
What industry? I'm in conveyor belt manufacturing. We are being told that a single COVID case will shut down an entire village/town/port. It's craziness over there.

China's workforce is suffering from Covid outbreaks. China refused to use mRNA vaccinations, and is left with isolation as the primary means to reduce the spread of the disease that started in their country.

They are really struggling to find enough healthy and qualified people to man their ports.

My company has a facility in Shanghai. The city has basically been closed for several weeks now. Last week our plant got approval for a limited opening. We were the first company in the district allowed to reopen.

And here is what reopening means. Three people, and only three people, were allowed into the plant. Those three people had to agree that once they went in to the building they would not leave again until the government told them they were allowed to. They are not even allowed to go home. They had to bring in cots for the guys to sleep on. They can't leave to go get food, food has to be delivered to the plant.

Basically they are prisoners in the plant until the government tells them that they are not any more. And who knows how long that is going to be.

The hope is that if things go well with the limited opening that they will allow a few more people to start living at the plant.

Biden's America.

Trump told you America needed factories. Dems were against the plan.

Who do you think is paying for the loss of American jobs and transportation costs for imports? It is not mexico or China.

• Haha
Biden's America.

Who do you think is paying for the loss of American jobs and transportation costs for imports? It is not mexico or China.

Lol. Good grief. Yeah the guy who lost manufacturing jobs is solution for adding manufacturing jobs. Brilliant use of delusional thinking.

Biden's America.

Lol
Good Point
This is a new phenomenon the past 2 years -
And. Or literally 50 years of free trade and deregulation.

I buy my pork from a farmer named Leroy down the street, I buy the whole goddamn pig every fall.

Ya everything is Farmland 30 miles west of Pittsburgh til you hit the Rockies

What do you make i will buy some…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT