ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, B10

AAU membership was never a requirement of Big Ten membership. UNL was in the process of getting booted from the AAU for years before they were invited to the B10, and most of the Big 10 schools, like Michigan, were the ones pushing for their ouster. The Big 10 pursued ND for years, and ND isn't anything close to being an AAU school. AAU membership requirement is only a thing some internet blogger came up with. It's an athletic conference. Yeah, the Big Ten wants schools that share similar qualities because it makes it easier to row the boat in the same direction, but mostly, they want a school that makes them more money. And guess what school is a mirror image of UNL? OU, and it isn't much of a secret OU wants out of the B12. Iowa St has no chance.

Absolutely, all the Big 12 schools are going to be talking to whomever they can because they are going to go through another membership crisis as their GOR expiration gets closer. Everything will depend on what UT wants.

Actually I think it comes down to what OU wants. TX doesn't want to give up the longhorn network and with it they make as much as anyone else anyhow. Now if they jumped to say the big 10 they could up the B10's payout and end up with more but I think TX is happy the way things are. If they go 11-1 they are in the playoff's in the current setup. OU on the other hand isn't happy, they don't get the 15 million that TX does in tier 3, so they aren't making as much as anyone in the SEC or B10. If OU leaves it will force TX hand because the b12 isn't a top conference without OU(also other teams will probably leave as well)

Granted Kansas' football glory is limited, but they did win a major bowl game, the Orange Bowl, and finished ranked in the top 10, #7 in 2007 with a 12-1 record. Neither of which Pitt has done in the last 30+ years.

Classic case of selective fact with no point. Of course Kansas had one year better than any of Pitt's years over the last few decades. Maybe even a five year run. So how many bowl games has Kansas been to over the last 7 or 8 years? Not sure and don't feel like looking it up? How bout the last 30 years?

And throw in John Riggins but you're right.

Do you actual care about Kansas? Seriously! If you're leaving the safety of your HB don't be a tool by talking Kansas football. Dude Pitt bullied PSU up and down the field for like 400-500 yards rushing. Do you think Kansas can do that. Go back to your HB until you pick up your game. Then come back and post away.

Hey you do realize Joe knew and was the worst of the enablers. Joe's quote, "I should have done more".

Big 12 teams are making a killing right now $35 million, no reason for teams to leave

You're ignoring one major fact. Texas and Oklahoma refused to extend the GOR. So, at this point they don't agree with you. Those two can get more than your post indicated if they left the Big12. So your post actually supports the argument to leave. However, programs like WVU would agree with your post.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I am pretty convinced the B12 is done after the GOR. If you're looking for predictions on where the teams end up, here you go:

Texas: Independent for football, ACC for all other sports with ND-like football deal

OU, OKST: SEC

TT, TCU: P12

KU: P12

WVU, ISU: American

I think the Pac 12 would prefer UNLV over KST for the 16th spot but not sure if politically, the state of Kansas would allow that to happen. KU and KST may be a package deal.

The Kansas football program as a whole hasn't won more than three games since 2008 which would fit well within the current B1G model.

Classic case of selective fact with no point. Of course Kansas had one year better than any of Pitt's years over the last few decades. Maybe even a five year run. So how many bowl games has Kansas been to over the last 7 or 8 years? Not sure and don't feel like looking it up? How bout the last 30 years?

Sorry, this just my pet peeve, which doesn't impact your valid overall point of the post, but I hate when people use city borders, rather than the much more relevant metropolitan area population to compare market size.

Pittsburgh Metro = 2,355,968
KC Metro = 2,037,357

Ok.. off of my soapbox now... please carry on. Thank you.

JoseLind is right. Pittsburgh is amongst the smallest in area Sq Mi's as a city. It's population density is actually higher than many of these "big cities". You have to look at Metro areas when judging a city's capacity for sports and other entertainment. I mean a guy living in Arnold or better yet, Verona, isn't going "well I ain't following no Pittsburgh team an ' at, cause I don't live there." We are all Pittsburghers.

Now you can start arguing out in New Castle or Stuebenville....but Allegheny County and suburbs like Peters, Hopewell, Cranberry, Murraysville, etc....that is Pittsburgh.

Except that it's pretty obvious that there are huge problems.
Add to that they are currently getting paid for 12 teams while they only have 10. Pretty much a guarantee they won't get as good a deal next time. Their ratings haven't been good, way behind the SEC and B10 and pretty far behind the ACC. In fact they are further behind the ACC, in ratings, than the ACC is behind the B10. Unless they can somehow leverage espn or fox to overpay(and make no mistake for them to get anywhere near b10 or sec money thats what will have to happen) they are probably going to end up with a drop or at best be in the same spot next time(2024).

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT