ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texas Southern band member punches heckler during football game

If I had a dollar for every time a 40-pound instrument I was lugging around served as an impediment...

6578480adf44fac8fe02c46350c3859c.gif
Why didn't you tell us that you didn't have a dollar to your name? I'm sure we could have taken up a collection.

upj87...I know this may be hard for you to accept or understand, bur just because someone has said something that you consider to be mean, rude or offensive, that doesn't give you the right to physically assault someone. Now if that person is becomes a physical threat, then yes go ahead and respond accordingly. The lack of respect for each other in this country is sad.

Imo You have a right to do your job in peace. Someone says something harassing to you on the street and you walk away and they follow you into a corner you can fight your way out.

uh, no I understand. I do. The lack of honor and chivalry in the country kind of has a sadness to it also. You stated there is absolutely no reason for this kid's response. I feel otherwise. As we do not know what was said we can only speculate. I speculated the worst. Assume he called this kid's mother a c**t and a whore in rage and up in his face, even in that case you want his life ruined by jail time and expulsion for taking a couple quick pops at him.... Who is the kind hearted caring one here again? There's law and there's justice...sometimes they do not coexist.
It wouldn't matter what he called them, you still can't just punch someone because they called you or a loved one a "name". I'm not trying to be kind-hearted or caring, that's just the rules/laws of the society in which we live.

Well the problem is that some people take it too far and pretend the situation in front of them isn’t obvious. They will play dumb (or are they just dumb?) just to be irritating.

It would appear to…well, pretty much any normal person, that one guy was screaming into the face of another and got punched as a result.

To the dullards among us, it might appear that the tuba player just has anger issues and happened to punch a random person for no reason.
It really doesn't matter what the guy was screaming or saying to the tuba guy, you still are not allowed to assault another person just because they are calling you names or yelling at you.
Whether you accept that or not, that is up to you.

It really doesn't matter what the guy was screaming or saying to the tuba guy, you still are not allowed to assault another person just because they are calling you names or yelling at you.
Whether you accept that or not, that is up to you.

That isn't true though.

If the guy is saying "I'm going to kill you" he most certainly can eliminate that fear.

I once got punched in the ear by a dude nicknamed Eyeball. If I ever get punched in the eyeball by a dude nicknamed Ear, man... you almost have to put that up there with hitting for the cycle in a playoff game.

I once got punched by a midget. He was sitting at a bar smoking a cigar when I casually mentioned to him that smoking could stunt his growth and he punched me in the ear. That's the thanks I got for trying to help....

A
The tuba player needs to be arrested and charged with at least assault. There is no reason for the tuba player to have punched the guy, NONE. The dude should be kicked out of the band immediately and suspended by the university for his criminal behavior.
At least the Sousaphone player did not pull a gun and shoot him.

Reactions: pittmeister
I once got punched by a midget. He was sitting at a bar smoking a cigar when I casually mentioned to him that smoking could stunt his growth and he punched me in the ear. That's the thanks I got for trying to help....
did he work at a bar in the south side, live in a doghouse on the bar, come out when a bell rang, and later go missing?

did he work at a bar in the south side, live in a doghouse on the bar, come out when a bell rang, and later go missing?
lol, loved that little dude. RIP, he passed away awhile ago. was it wednesdays when you'd pay 20 bucks and he'd come out and pour yellow syrup on everyone's head in the bar then run back into his house in the corner?

damn i miss being young and dumb. now im just dumb..

Imo You have a right to do your job in peace. Someone says something harassing to you on the street and you walk away and they follow you into a corner you can fight your way out.
I agree, as would most people in that situation. Then again, you have to consider what happened to that poor Marine (Daniel Penny) up in NY who was protecting not only himself but others in the subway from that clown who was threatening to kill everyone.

Society would be much better if more people were getting punched in the face not less.
While that may be true, our society would be even better then that if parents raised their children the right way and taught them about the word RESPECT and how to use it in their daily lives.

Reactions: Ray-Ray
While that may be true, our society would be even better then that if parents raised their children the right way and taught them about the word RESPECT and how to use it in their daily lives.
Damn, you are really taking this hard, aren't you?

Did someone in a band hurt you when you were younger? Is there anything you want to talk about, or share with us to maybe begin the healing process?

Exactly.

And screaming in someone’s face is not respectful.

Thankfully the band member taught that moron what his parents did not.

Of course, you are defending the screamer so…I’m confused on what constitutes respect in your mind.

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad when I was a teenager. I was going into high school, and he said, “God bless you if I catch you throwing the first punch. But feel free to throw the last one.“.

Exactly.

And screaming in someone’s face is not respectful.

Thankfully the band member taught that moron what his parents did not.

Of course, you are defending the screamer so…I’m confused on what constitutes respect in your mind.
First of all, I am not defending any one. I am just trying to point out that the tuba guy's actions took the incident to a whole new level. we don't know what was said, but unless that guy (who was probably drunk) touched him or threatened him with bodily harm, he's wrong. You are correct when you said that screaming in someone's face is not respectful. I would ask you to ask any friends who are Police Officers or Attorney's is it okay to punch someone who is screaming in your face. I am willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of them would say no.
Have you seen the videos of the police up in NY getting screamed at by people, some right in their face and the cops can't do anything about until that person makes contact with them or threatens them.

this is the best and most awful thread ever. we're not talkin' about practice, we're talkin' about a band player!

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad when I was a teenager. I was going into high school, and he said, “God bless you if I catch you throwing the first punch. But feel free to throw the last one.“.
terrible advice.. telling someone to never throw the first punch gets them knocked out 90% of the time.

The last person you want to piss off is a Sousaphone player lol. Those dudes have more “brass” than anyone else in the band! 😊
I mean, let's call it like it is. If you're getting stomped by a band kid, you're really circling the drain of manhood. That said, it is true that sousaphone players are by far the most dangerous members of the band. These are kids that were big enough to play football and perhaps even strong enough but their mom just wouldn't let them. When they joined the band, the directors don't give big ass horns to the scrawny kids so he didn't have much of a choice. I mean, he could have played a bass drum but those drummer kids are all wannabe rock stars and they try to stay away from the police dogs because they smell kinda funny, if you know what I mean. So there he is, in the hot sun during band camp carrying around this big shiny horn and sweating his ass off to play like four notes over and over again. The girls stay away from them because they're sweaty and burnt all the time and they have to sit in the last row at games because nobody can see over their horns. They're also at least two rows away from the next row because they have to have somewhere to put the horns between songs and the row in front of the horns are the much cooler trombone section. These kids weren't allowed to play football either but they somehow can pull the cute flautists after games. So now you're playing the same four notes for the seventh time that day and here comes some jaggoff wanting to talk crap on you. Something finally snapped. Of course it did.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
First of all, I am not defending any one. I am just trying to point out that the tuba guy's actions took the incident to a whole new level. we don't know what was said, but unless that guy (who was probably drunk) touched him or threatened him with bodily harm, he's wrong. You are correct when you said that screaming in someone's face is not respectful. I would ask you to ask any friends who are Police Officers or Attorney's is it okay to punch someone who is screaming in your face. I am willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of them would say no.
Have you seen the videos of the police up in NY getting screamed at by people, some right in their face and the cops can't do anything about until that person makes contact with them or threatens them.

Maybe the band member “felt” threatened. That seems to be the criteria for using force for the police.

You never want to mess with a tuba player. I was one in the Pitt Band and my friend playing tuba in front of me bowled over Dr. Jerry Punch doing sideline coverage for ESPN (he was standing right in our way so he had it coming). I think this was a Thursday night game against Syracuse in 99. I remember the giveaway that night was the inflatable boom sticks. Does anyone else remember this? I’ve never been able to find footage of it anywhere.

Also about a third of the band got suspended after that game for showing up obliterated. It was a fun night.

For those who you who continue to support the tuba player, I ask the following question...
Let's just say the guy doing the yelling was calling the tuna player's mother every name in the book (or whatever it would take to have gotten him to take a swing at him), He makes contact and the guy falls down, smacks is head on the steps or bleachers and dies. Would you still feel that the tuba player did nothing wrong? I think that just about every police office, attorney and judge in this country would disagree with you. That young man in the band, then is getting arrested and charged with some type of aggravated assault or murder charge and being placed in jail.
It just wouldn't be worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT