ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

i have old skool bonds,,,,,,,, goes back 30 years .. we had rituals...no lies

take care fellas

Trouba being dirty again. Another elbow, to the head of Evan Rodriguez. Somehow only manages to get a 2 minute minor.
That was egregious. He completely launched his elbow at his head.
If the league is going to let that get only 2 minutes, that means it's ok to do it.
Florida needs to bust out one of the Ranger's stars teeth. Carolina took this without retaliation and they're done.
First shift, Florida needs to mess someone up. Launch into Sheshterkin or stick to Panarin's face. League leaving it up to them to police it.
League fined Trouba $5,000 (maximum) for that hit last night on ERod ..... no suspension ...... that is his 3rd disciplinary action this season (two different $5,000 fines and another separate 2 game suspension) ...... thought he should have gotten 5 minute major, game misconduct, fine, and suspension for hit last night and especially since he has had multiple other disciplinary actions this season ..... he had elbow out and launched it at ERod's head catching him in jaw/neck area ....... no place in the game for this !

Problem with retaliation is that is what the Rangers want as it puts them on their high powered PP.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
League fined Trouba $5,000 (maximum) for that hit last night on ERod ..... no suspension ...... that is his 3rd disciplinary action this season (two different $5,000 fines and another separate 2 game suspension) ...... thought he should have gotten 5 minute major, game misconduct, fine, and suspension for hit last night and especially since he has had multiple other disciplinary actions this season ..... he had elbow out and launched it at ERod's head catching him in jaw/neck area ....... no place in the game for this !

Problem with retaliation is that is what the Rangers want as it puts them on their high powered PP.
Their high powered power play has not been that at all against Florida so far. Therefore, I say take a gamble and knock out one of their best players. Maybe Zibanejad or the bread man, or Lefrieniere, who has been really good in this series so far. Trouba and the Rangers need to be taught a lesson. He took Sid out when we were up 3 games to one, and they came back to win. Whatever happens, I will be pulling for Florida, and I hope Trouba and the Rangers luck runs out.

The inconsistency and overall judgment is mind boggling. The referees on the ice initially call a major, watch the video replay, and somehow decide that it’s only worthy of a minor??

Then DPS reviews it after the fact and determines a fine is warranted.

If a fine is warranted, don’t know how you can justify only a minor.

I’d give the referees the benefit of the doubt if they had to make calls like that live and at game speed, but not with the benefit of being able to watch replay and confirm.

The inconsistency and overall judgment is mind boggling. The referees on the ice initially call a major, watch the video replay, and somehow decide that it’s only worthy of a minor??

Then DPS reviews it after the fact and determines a fine is warranted.

If a fine is warranted, don’t know how you can justify only a minor.

I’d give the referees the benefit of the doubt if they had to make calls like that live and at game speed, but not with the benefit of being able to watch replay and confirm.
People can say the NHL doesn't care about player safety when in truth is, neither does the NHLPA. $5,000 is the maximum fine. You can end a career and it is only $5,000. The average NHL salary is $3.5 million, that is like a $150 fine to someone making $100,000. Trouba makes $8 million AAV, so it is like a $60 fine.
That's a real deterrent right there.

Last edited:
Let's hope, if NYR goes up 3-1 in the series and has the clincher well in hand, that Fla just starts gooning it up and exacts a little bit of revenge to Trouba.

I wouldn't expect the NHLPA to push for anything like that. The union isn't going to argue that the league should fine and suspend its members more harshly.

I see that Guentzel is definitely going to test free agency (per thn Canada) and good for him. I found it disingenuous on his part bemoaning him being dealt at the deadline and “wanting to stay a penguin” but making it clear he wouldn’t sign an extension.

The Pens were wise to get something for an expiring asset that was about to leave for nothing. They got a gritty top six forward and a 2nd rounder and change. A lot better than nothing. And no playoffs anyway.

Is that to say Jake would have gotten them in the playoffs? I don’t think so. They had him all year and were mostly on the outside looking in.

I found it disingenuous on his part bemoaning him being dealt at the deadline and “wanting to stay a penguin” but making it clear he wouldn’t sign an extension.

I think the general consensus among people who think they know (meaning media members who cover the team) is that what pissed Guentzel off was precisely that the Penguins weren't interested in offering him an extension. You can't sign a contract that isn't being offered.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Here's the quote from the most recent article:

"However, Guentzel was pretty angry about the trade, and I think even angrier that, in his view, the Penguins never made a legitimate attempt to sign him to a long-term contract."

The Athletic had a story the other day where they talked about soon to be free agents and it said in that story (and in others they have published) that that was why Guentzel was pissed off and wasn't coming back to Pittsburgh, because when he was here they wouldn't even offer him an extension.
I mean.....good on Dubas. Finally someone realizes that just keeping the good time band together isn't winning. They now have to figure out how to jettison some of these guys. New blood.

I mean.....good on Dubas. Finally someone realizes that just keeping the good time band together isn't winning. They now have to figure out how to jettison some of these guys. New blood.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm not bagging on them for not offering him an extension. They did what needed to be done. But I can also understand why Guentzel isn't happy about it.

Too bad.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm not bagging on them for not offering him an extension. They did what needed to be done. But I can also understand why Guentzel isn't happy about it.

Too bad.
That's bizness. It is why if the Steelers offer Cam Heyward an extension, it just shows how pathetic the organization who let Rod Woodson, Franco, Mike Webster, Joey Porter and Alan Faneca all walk. I mean like Cam, but he ain't them.

That's bizness. It is why if the Steelers offer Cam Heyward an extension, it just shows how pathetic the organization who let Rod Woodson, Franco, Mike Webster, Joey Porter and Alan Faneca all walk. I mean like Cam, but he ain't them.
I'm sorry, but are you saying Heyward isn't as good as those players mentioned?

Well-I thought his last extension was a mistake -
And I was wrong . Heyward way over performed

Penguins better get their act together because the late spring , early summer sucks now sports wise.
But they made dumb decision after dumb decision soo that's what they get, and us as fans unfortunately.

I don't think I can watch another season of Jarry.

Last edited:
Penguins better get their act together because the late spring , early summer sucks now sports wise.
But they made dumb decision after dumb decision soo that's what they get, and us as fans unfortunately.

I don't think I can watch another season of Jarry.
Evan was an unrestricted free agent both in pittsburgh and then in Colorado for a year

Some thoughts ........

- Rumors flying that the Pens are hiring David Quinn as an assistant coach (Pens haven't confirmed yet) looks like to replace Todd Reirden .......

- Florida up 2 games to none against Edmonton ...... obviously series not over but Florida continues to be amazing at forechecking with great structure/positioning ..... no matter what lines are on the ice, all 5 skaters are always moving as a unit to make sure they are both pressuring the puck and yet all five are in proper position to make it hard on the opponent to get up ice and into scoring areas and they just don't give up many odd man breaks ..... their dedication to their system and their ability to play it is fantastic ....... they have talent and players who can put the puck in the net but are getting secondary scoring in the 2 games so far in the finals (Barkov, Reinhart, Bennett, Tkachuk, and Tarasenko who are goal scorers haven't scored in the Finals, yet the Panthers have outscored the Oilers 7-1 with ERod scoring 3 of the goals) ...... Florida seems to play well in the 3rd period and have outscored Edmonton 4-0 in the 3rd period in the 1st two games ......

- Of course, a huge factor in Florida's success is goaltending as Bobrovsky has been great and outplaying Skinner so far ......

- That being said, the series is not over ...... Edmonton has to use their speed to get the puck quickly out of their end to help negate the Florida forecheck and their stars have to start putting the puck in the net along with their goalie upping his game ..... it can be done as unlikely as it seems today ........ Bobrovsky has been great at stopping low shots, Oilers need to get traffic in front of Bobrovsky, move him side to side and when they get a scoring chance elevate the puck ..... Edmonton's high powered power play has not been good so far against Florida and will have to come alive if Edmonton wants to win ! ...... also, Barkov went out of Game 2 after a hit to the head and never came back so I'm not sure yet if he is available for Game 3 which would be a huge loss for Florida if he is out for any length of time ....

- The next several weeks should be pretty active for the Pens (trades, draft, UFA signings, etc). ...... Dubas has been trying to rebuild while reloading at the same time which is very difficult obviously ...... a few days ago, Dubas said that a high priority now is to get younger players that can play in the NHL, get more prospects, and get draft picks ...... sounds like a start to emphasize the future ...... he may well make a trade or 2 to try and bolster the club into a playoff team to compliment the core but it sounds like restocking the system is a priority now.

- Game 3 of the SCF's Thursday night ...... crucial game !

Last edited:
Reactions: BreakingPitt
Some thoughts ........

- Rumors flying that the Pens are hiring David Quinn as an assistant coach (Pens haven't confirmed yet) looks like to replace Todd Reirden .......

- Florida up 2 games to none against Edmonton ...... obviously series not over but Florida continues to be amazing at forechecking with great structure/positioning ..... no matter what lines are on the ice, all 5 skaters are always moving as a unit to make sure they are both pressuring the puck and yet all five are in proper position to make it hard on the opponent to get up ice and into scoring areas and they just don't give up many odd man breaks ..... their dedication to their system and their ability to play it is fantastic ....... they have talent and players who can put the puck in the net but are getting secondary scoring in the 2 games so far in the finals (Barkov, Reinhart, Bennett, Tkachuk, and Tarasenko who are goal scorers haven't scored in the Finals, yet the Panthers have outscored the Oilers 7-1 with ERod scoring 3 of the goals) ...... Florida seems to play well in the 3rd period and have outscored Edmonton 4-0 in the 3rd period in the 1st two games ......

- Of course, a huge factor in Florida's success is goaltending as Bobrovsky has been great and outplaying Skinner so far ......

- That being said, the series is not over ...... Edmonton has to use their speed to get the puck quickly out of their end to help negate the Florida forecheck and their stars have to start putting the puck in the net along with their goalie upping his game ..... it can be done as unlikely as it seems today ........ Bobrovsky has been great at stopping low shots, Oilers need to get traffic in front of Bobrovsky, move him side to side and when they get a scoring chance elevate the puck ..... Edmonton's high powered power play has not been good so far against Florida and will have to come alive if Edmonton wants to win ! ...... also, Barkov went out of Game 2 after a hit to the head and never came back so I'm not sure yet if he is available for Game 3 which would be a huge loss for Florida if he is out for any length of time ....

- The next several weeks should be pretty active for the Pens (trades, draft, UFA signings, etc). ...... Dubas has been trying to rebuild while reloading at the same time which is very difficult obviously ...... a few days ago, Dubas said that a high priority now is to get younger players that can play in the NHL, get more prospects, and get draft picks ...... sounds like a start to emphasize the future ...... he may well make a trade or 2 to try and bolster the club into a playoff team to compliment the core but it sounds like restocking the system is a priority now.

Outside of Crosby, not sure who they can trade for much of a return. DOC maybe? Might have to wait for the trade deadline and hope someone overpays.

Some thoughts ........

Yeah.....kind of reminds me of 2016. Florida knows they have to get 1 in Edmonton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT