ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

My point here was the Pens went from worst to first in 4 years! That's pretty incredible. I mean sure, they lucked out getting Sid. But people forget they LOST the lottery the year before on Ovechkin, but the the #2 pick that year was Geno Malkin, who would be the #1 overall in any other year besides those 2 years (Ovy and Sid). So they bottomed out at the very right time. Also, Fleury was a #1 pick overall. Just an incredible rise.
And had they won the Ovi sweepstakes, they’d have then not won the Crosby sweepstakes, as they’d have had 1 fewer lottery ball in the draft lottery for Sid, due to the rules that governed the post-lockout lottery.

So, the way things fell with them getting Geno instead of Ovi, it actually set the stage for them to get Sid instead of someone else (and at that point it could have been anywhere else in the 1st round)

And had they won the Ovi sweepstakes, they’d have then not won the Crosby sweepstakes, as they’d have had 1 fewer lottery ball in the draft lottery for Sid, due to the rules that governed the post-lockout lottery.

So, the way things fell with them getting Geno instead of Ovi, it actually set the stage for them to get Sid instead of someone else (and at that point it could have been anywhere else in the 1st round)
Yeah the 2nd pick in Sid's draft was Bobby Ryan. In Ovi's it was Malkin. What is scary, the next year they had the 2nd overall pick then and took Jordan Staal. They could have drafted Jonathan Toews.

Yeah the 2nd pick in Sid's draft was Bobby Ryan. In Ovi's it was Malkin. What is scary, the next year they had the 2nd overall pick then and took Jordan Staal. They could have drafted Jonathan Toews.
The weird thing about that lottery draft for Sid was that it was coming out of the lockout, so there were no previous year standings, and everyone in the league had a chance… they weighted it based on a few factors.

The Pens, Buffalo, Columbus, and the Rangers each got 3 lottery balls because they hadn’t reached the playoffs in the past 3 seasons, and hadn’t won the draft lottery in the past 4 seasons. (The Pens did draft Fleury #1 in 2003, but that pick was traded to them by Florida, not the result of them winning the draft lottery). Then there were 10 teams that received 2 balls each for making only one of those postseasons or winning one of those lotteries. The rest of the teams only got 1 lottery ball for having made the playoffs multiple times or winning multiple lotteries.

So, the pens losing that Ovi lottery meant they got 3 balls, not 2. They could have drafted at 10, 15, 20… who knows where their lottery ball would have fallen.

Doesn’t look like things worked out very well for the Pens in the draft lottery. No 1st round pick now unless they get pick 31/32 with the Canes making it to the finals.

More likely their 1st pick will be in the 2nd, 44 overall I believe.

Trouba continues to be a dirty player. Too bad he didn’t get injured. How guys like him, Wilson and Marchand continue with their cheap play is beyond me

Reactions: Dan1911
Trouba continues to be a dirty player. Too bad he didn’t get injured. How guys like him, Wilson and Marchand continue with their cheap play is beyond me
I didn’t watch this game -
But I don’t put Trouba in the same bucket as those guys .
He’s big and physical but not dirty -
Kinda like prime Brooks Orpik

I didn’t either, saw a quick highlight, but he attempted a headshot with his elbow and missed. Then went headfirst while airbourne into the boards.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
I didn’t either, saw a quick highlight, but he attempted a headshot with his elbow and missed. Then went headfirst while airbourne into the boards.
Yup he comes in and trys to take head shots with his elbows a lot. The last playoff series the Pens played them I believe he did the same thing but connected and knocked a Pen out of the game. I think it was Sid but I cant recall.

I watched most of yesterday’s game (3rd period and 2 OTs), don’t recall Trouba doing anything blatantly dirty in it.

But based on my memories of the Rangers-Pens playoff series a couple years ago, I easily can put him in the same bucket as the others mentioned.

Yeah, I just posted that I didn’t recall Trouba doing anything dirty yesterday but you’re right on the play you mentioned, he definitely went in with an attempted elbow to the head on that play.

Reactions: pittbb80
Unless he swung the elbow back at someone -, or reaching with an elbow to make contact with his stick hand -
We will disagree -
Your elbows come out for a body check since you’re holding a stick with your off hand
They aren’t trying to tuck and make themselves small .

I’d love for a Trouba type player to be on the Pens instead of all the “Soff!” Defensemen we have .

Unless he swung the elbow back at someone -, or reaching with an elbow to make contact with his stick hand -
We will disagree -
Your elbows come out for a body check since you’re holding a stick with your off hand
They aren’t trying to tuck and make themselves small .

I’d love for a Trouba type player to be on the Pens instead of all the “Soff!” Defensemen we have .
You can find a video of the play easy enough by goggling Trouba hit. No need for me to describe, if you view it and still think it was a good clean attempted hit and nothing dirty about it, we’ll then just agree to disagree.

You can find a video of the play easy enough by goggling Trouba hit. No need for me to describe, if you view it and still think it was a good clean attempted hit and nothing dirty about it, we’ll then just agree to disagree.
I’m at a webinar - will check it out later
Is it the necca miss ?
He came at him face on and Necca was able to avoid it .

Below is a video of the attempted hit by Trouba on Necas ...... watch the video from the -16 sec through the -04 sec mark (or 25 to 36 sec depending on how it comes up on your screen) .....

The video clearly shows that Trouba extends his left elbow toward the head of Necas in a striking fashion ...... Trouba also leaves the ice with both skates while diving forward which is very dangerous in hockey and if he would have hit Necas on the play would have been a charging penalty ...... also look at the 35-36 sec mark where Trouba's right skate comes down on the head of Necas and scrapes along his helmet ..... a few inches lower and it would have sliced his neck (I don't think Trouba was trying to hurt Necas with his skate but the danger occurred because of Trouba's reckless play) ....... I'll let each decide whether they think that was a good hockey play or a dangerous/dirty play.

Below is a video of the attempted hit by Trouba on Necas ...... watch the video from the -16 sec through the -04 sec mark (or 25 to 36 sec depending on how it comes up on your screen) .....

The video clearly shows that Trouba extends his left elbow toward the head of Necas in a striking fashion ...... Trouba also leaves the ice with both skates while diving forward which is very dangerous in hockey and if he would have hit Necas on the play would have been a charging penalty ...... also look at the 35-36 sec mark where Trouba's right skate comes down on the head of Necas and scrapes along his helmet ..... a few inches lower and it would have sliced his neck (I don't think Trouba was trying to hurt Necas with his skate but the danger occurred because of Trouba's reckless play) ....... I'll let each decide whether they think that was a good hockey play or a dangerous/dirty play.
Not sure how anyone could watch that not think he fully and intently went head-hunting with his elbow

Reactions: CCHS82

Id give him the benefit of the doubt if I had not seen him do this a number of times before. Didnt see the skate incident but even without seeing it, given his history, Id be more inclined to think he was trying to take our Necas.

There's no doubt he was head hunting on the charge/elbow incident. Its funny how Trouba seems to target the other teams better players........Im sure its just a coincidence......

Trouba should have gotten a penalty for boarding himself.

If the league is going to allow this to continue, then that means its legal. The only way for the Canes to respond is with an escalation of violence. The Rangers don't need to play this way to win. A shitshow of thuggery doesn't even benefit the NYR. They are the more talented team. Getting Panarin, Zibanejab or Shesterkin cheap-shotted and injured will greatly harm their chance to win the Cup. Which is exactly why the Canes need to head hunt those guys, and not miss. The Canes are now down 2-0. If it looks like they're getting down in game 3 on home-ice, they need to goon it up. This is how the league wants it, so they need to do it.
Necas had no idea that was coming, but if you get a bit of warning, the way to end it is you put your arms up to Protect yourself, and the butt end just happens to get up in the face. Guys like Trouba have no teeth already, and really only a functioning medulla oblongata, so you won't cause serious harm there, but you might get his eye, or cut him bad enough that he's done for a while. And if Shesterkin comes out of the net to play the puck, you have to run him. Rempke shouldn't scare anyone. He's tough, and brave but also dumb and has gotten his ass kicked on occasion. Canes should go get him on his first shift.
If the Canes are going to lose this series, they need to mortally wound the NYR so that they aren't winning it all either.

If the league is going to allow this to continue, then that means its legal. The only way for the Canes to respond is with an escalation of violence. The Rangers don't need to play this way to win. A shitshow of thuggery doesn't even benefit the NYR. They are the more talented team. Getting Panarin, Zibanejab or Shesterkin cheap-shotted and injured will greatly harm their chance to win the Cup. Which is exactly why the Canes need to head hunt those guys, and not miss. The Canes are now down 2-0. If it looks like they're getting down in game 3 on home-ice, they need to goon it up. This is how the league wants it, so they need to do it.
Necas had no idea that was coming, but if you get a bit of warning, the way to end it is you put your arms up to Protect yourself, and the butt end just happens to get up in the face. Guys like Trouba have no teeth already, and really only a functioning medulla oblongata, so you won't cause serious harm there, but you might get his eye, or cut him bad enough that he's done for a while. And if Shesterkin comes out of the net to play the puck, you have to run him. Rempke shouldn't scare anyone. He's tough, and brave but also dumb and has gotten his ass kicked on occasion. Canes should go get him on his first shift.
If the Canes are going to lose this series, they need to mortally wound the NYR so that they aren't winning it all either.
Canes are down 2-0 in the series but both losses were by one goal and one of the biggest problems the Canes are having is the difference in specialty units ....... the NYR are 4-9 on the power play and the Canes are 0-10 through 2 games (so the refs are calling a fair number of penalties) ...... if the Canes goon it up and more penalties are called against them, it helps the NYR with more PP opportunities ...... one of the best things the Canes could do is start scoring goals on their PP and upping their PK and/or decrease any stupid penalties they are taking ..... there are other problems for the Canes in this series but one of the biggest so far is their PP and PK units.

That’s an amazing line !
Instant karma would have been an injury -
Though I think his arms came up to protect himself , when he missed

Reactions: USN_Panther
Canes are down 2-0 in the series but both losses were by one goal and one of the biggest problems the Canes are having is the difference in specialty units ....... the NYR are 4-9 on the power play and the Canes are 0-10 through 2 games (so the refs are calling a fair number of penalties) ...... if the Canes goon it up and more penalties are called against them, it helps the NYR with more PP opportunities ...... one of the best things the Canes could do is start scoring goals on their PP and upping their PK and/or decrease any stupid penalties they are taking ..... there are other problems for the Canes in this series but one of the biggest so far is their PP and PK units.
Imagine a Ranger/Panther ECF? My god, that would be a throwback to those days of Detroit/Carolina matchups, it would be brutal.

Imagine a Ranger/Panther ECF? My god, that would be a throwback to those days of Detroit/Carolina matchups, it would be brutal.
That would be a great ECF but really I think any matchup in the ECF's among the 4 teams left would be fantastic !
Can't wait for the next Florida/Boston game especially after last nights game between them ...... should be a lot of energy in the next one ....... looks bad for the Canes against the Rangers right now but wouldn't count Carolina out although they need to win tonight ! ..... Stanley Cup Playoff hockey, it's hard to beat it !

Reactions: USN_Panther
That would be a great ECF but really I think any matchup in the ECF's among the 4 teams left would be fantastic !
Can't wait for the next Florida/Boston game especially after last nights game between them ...... should be a lot of energy in the next one ....... looks bad for the Canes against the Rangers right now but wouldn't count Carolina out although they need to win tonight ! ..... Stanley Cup Playoff hockey, it's hard to beat it !
I mean it is a must win for Carolina tonight for sure. But they win, then there is a bit more pressure on NYR to win game 4 and go back home 3-1. As a veteran of every Penguin playoff run since the Lemieux era, it is just amazing how up and down, high and low, these series' can be.

I was kind of hoping something like this would happen to this specific team. Jarry won the Memorial Cup playing for Edmonton's WHL team. Think that maybe they could work out a trade??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT