ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The NHL Playoffs, Fo Real.

Joe, here is the blown up of the best angle. They had to go 4-5 minutes deep to find this and overturn the call? I am thinking if they let the goal go and someone produces this photo as evidence that they "screwed up" the NHL could live with it.

448954154_430647593274830_9033332309419846770_n.jpg
I’d add that you can’t even tell clearly where the puck is. To overturn a call they have to have conclusive evidence the original call was wrong.

I’d add that you can’t even tell clearly where the puck is. To overturn a call they have to have conclusive evidence the original call was wrong.
And the more times they pull shit like this, is the more times they embolden teams to challenge 50/50 calls, because it is worth playing the odds.

Reactions: pittbb80
And the more times they pull shit like this, is the more times they embolden teams to challenge 50/50 calls, because it is worth playing the odds.
A call this close is beyond the ability of human eyes to see in real time. Actually, without slow motion video and freezing the frames, no one can tell. A linesman would not usually call that offsides because it's too close.
In a play like this, they should let the visiting team measure the rink markings before starting play again. I would bet that there is a portion of the blue line that measures off regulation within the tolerance of that call. If mm's count, then mm's have to count in all aspects.

• Haha
A call this close is beyond the ability of human eyes to see in real time. Actually, without slow motion video and freezing the frames, no one can tell. A linesman would not usually call that offsides because it's too close.
In a play like this, they should let the visiting team measure the rink markings before starting play again. I would bet that there is a portion of the blue line that measures off regulation within the tolerance of that call. If mm's count, then mm's have to count in all aspects.
Dude, come on. If you are parsing down to that detail, the call on the ice stands. Regardless. Come on man, that is not what replay is about.

Dude, come on. If you are parsing down to that detail, the call on the ice stands. Regardless. Come on man, that is not what replay is about.
That's what I'm saying. They have the ability with freeze frame video to call something down to very small tolerances. But the things they rely on like the rink markings aren't that precise. It's like measuring something to the micron, and cutting it with a chainsaw. And then they have subjectivity in penalties like embellishment.
Put good officials on the ice and let them make the calls. Review dangerous play and goals. Players and coaches make more mistakes by far than refs and linesmen.

That's what I'm saying. They have the ability with freeze frame video to call something down to very small tolerances. But the things they rely on like the rink markings aren't that precise. It's like measuring something to the micron, and cutting it with a chainsaw. And then they have subjectivity in penalties like embellishment.
Put good officials on the ice and let them make the calls. Review dangerous play and goals. Players and coaches make more mistakes by far than refs and linesmen.
First downs in football have this same problem - they bring out the chains to determine if the ball reached the line to gain, but the initial placement of the chains was determined visually from the sideline. Not the same level of precision.

Reactions: USN_Panther

That's what I would say in looking at that photo. There is not clear evidence of anything there, because you can't clearly see exactly where the puck is. If that was the shot they used to overturn a call, then that was a mistake.

So what is the harm when a guy is legitimately Tripped or hooked and the guy embellishes it ? How does it adversely impact the game when the penalty is already legit
Because you’re supposed to play through it - and allow the ref to make the call
Not bait a call with a dive .

They don’t want hockey turning into soccer or even the nba

Reactions: Franb
Because you’re supposed to play through it - and allow the ref to make the call
Not bait a call with a dive .

They don’t want hockey turning into soccer or even the nba
The issue is players who aren’t legitimately tripped diving as if they were to try and draw penalties. The embellishment rule cleaned that up to a large degree.

Game 7 tied 1-1 end of the 1st period ........ Florida scored on a deflection by Verhaeghe on a shot by ERod and Edmonton scored on a breakaway where Ekblad was too wide in the neutral zone with Forsling pinched up in the opposite side of the neutral zone allowing Janmark to get a breakaway on a stretch pass and he beat Bobrovsky ....... Bobrovsky has been beaten 5 out of 5 times on clear breakaways in the last 4 games and on the one tonight he made one of the two most common mistakes a goalie can make on a breakaway and that is going too deep in the crease (he was at least 1.5 feet too deep) ..... the puck hit the top of Bobrovsky's right pad and went over it into the net, if he was out at the top of the crease where he should of been it hits his pad lower and he makes the save ..... good game so far.

Reinhart scores on a wrist shot from the top half of the right circle in the 2nd period ...... Oilers defenseman Kulak backed in too deep on the play to allow Reinhart room to get the shot off ...... 2-1 Florida end of 2 periods ..... anyones game going to the 3rd !

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
My wife and I are watching Game 7 together.

Before the game, she asked me who I thought would win. I answered "Florida".

She asked why?

I said because this jinx 👇 plays for Edmonton.

Jesus H. …

Do all games have this many commercials anymore or is it just a playoff thing? My lord…

No wonder MacDavid is playing the whole 3rd period.

My wife and I are watching Game 7 together.

Before the game, she asked me who I thought would win. I answered "Florida".

She asked why?

I said because this jinx 👇 plays for Edmonton.

FLORIDA PANTHERS win the 2024 Stanley Cup, 4 games to 3, with 2-1 win in Game 7 ....... GREAT game !

Florida showed how to hold a lead in the 3rd period !

No HIDDEN VIGORISH for Corey Perry !

Reactions: HOF Coach
McDavid played 10 minutes in the 3rd period. Felt like 17 minutes.

No flow at all to that period. One whistle and one break after another, allowing him to play so much.

But in the end there’s nothing more nerve racking in all of sports that than last two minutes of a one goal game in game 7 of the cup.

The jury is officially in on the NHL’s Sun Belt experiment:

Successes: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Nashville*, Florida, Dallas, Vegas, Anaheim
Failures: Arizona, Atlanta

Overall, not a bad track record. Would love to see hockey back in the ATL and Phoenix soon.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
McDavid played 10 minutes in the 3rd period. Felt like 17 minutes.

No flow at all to that period. One whistle and one break after another, allowing him to play so much.

But in the end there’s nothing more nerve racking in all of sports that than last two minutes of a one goal game in game 7 of the cup.
I would go further and say there’s nothing that keeps you on the edge of your seat like playoff hockey Just incredibly compelling

I was hoping McDavid would be more REAL and just skate off the ice and skip the handshake and post game interview. What a phoney. Lol

Man.......even though not having a dog in that hunt, that was so much like 2009. I was on edge.....it seemed so reminiscent when you are waiting for that tying goal. And it never came.

Happy for Paul Maurice and many of the Panthers, though as my one friend said "Miami is the most soulless sports fans in North America".

A question I will throw out, and maybe in another thread, who is the Canadian team that breaks the Cup drought?

Man.......even though not having a dog in that hunt, that was so much like 2009. I was on edge.....it seemed so reminiscent when you are waiting for that tying goal. And it never came.

Happy for Paul Maurice and many of the Panthers, though as my one friend said "Miami is the most soulless sports fans in North America".

A question I will throw out, and maybe in another thread, who is the Canadian team that breaks the Cup drought?
I think Edmonton breaks through as soon as next year McDavid is just too good and the talent they have now is probably the best in the league. A was rooting for the panthers but Edmonton looked like the better team

I think Edmonton breaks through as soon as next year McDavid is just too good and the talent they have now is probably the best in the league. A was rooting for the panthers but Edmonton looked like the better team
Yeah but 5 of their top 12 forwards are UFA's, they have an RFA in Holloway who will get paid and Draisatyl's contract is up next year. As is Evan Bouchard next year, that is two more $10 million contracts, Darnell Nurse has one of the worst contracts in the league. They have a really bad contract in goalie Jack Campbell who was dropped to 3rd string and they still have him 3 more years at $5 million per. The franchise has been mismanaged. I am not sure they are going to be able to sustain this.

Toronto also has some bloated contracts, big holes and in the much tougher Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.

Vancouver to me, has the brightest immediate future for Canadian teams.

Edmonton

Advice to Kyle Dubas - If Corey Perry's # shows up on your caller ID, DON'T ANSWER IT!

I don't know, if you gave me the choice right now that you would guarantee me that the Pens would make the Finals next year but lose or we could just play it out and see what happens I think making the Finals and losing would be the far, far better option. Because letting it play out is far more likely to result in no playoffs at all.

I don't know, if you gave me the choice right now that you would guarantee me that the Pens would make the Finals next year but lose or we could just play it out and see what happens I think making the Finals and losing would be the far, far better option. Because letting it play out is far more likely to result in no playoffs at all.
The only other team he was on, Chicago, got a top 2 pick after cutting Perry instead of making the Cup Final. So what if we sign Perry, make the Stanley Cup, cut him, and get the #2 pick? Win-win!

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Yeah but 5 of their top 12 forwards are UFA's, they have an RFA in Holloway who will get paid and Draisatyl's contract is up next year. As is Evan Bouchard next year, that is two more $10 million contracts, Darnell Nurse has one of the worst contracts in the league. They have a really bad contract in goalie Jack Campbell who was dropped to 3rd string and they still have him 3 more years at $5 million per. The franchise has been mismanaged. I am not sure they are going to be able to sustain this.

Toronto also has some bloated contracts, big holes and in the much tougher Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.

Vancouver to me, has the brightest immediate future for Canadian teams.
You make some really good points. Will be interesting to see how they manage the offseason

You make some really good points. Will be interesting to see how they manage the offseason
There is a theory, that in 2 years, when McDavid's new deal is up, 4 players could account for almost 50% of their payroll (McDavid, Draisatyl, Bouchard and the horrid Darnell Nurse contract). With paying a 3rd string goalie $5 million still, even buying him out would have ramifications. The Oilers are still paying ex Penguin James Neal $2 million (cap hit) for next year. He last played for them 20-21.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT