ADVERTISEMENT

OT - The O - Say it Ain’t So

3 owners for a fraction of a block. This highlights the problem with acquiring land in Oakland. Why would any of them be willingly sell to Pitt? The location is a gold mine to rent out to commercial business and Pitt is currently taking huge financial losses and postponing existing construction plans so it is not in a position to overpay or get into a bidding war. Pitt couldn't even, or was unwilling to, outbid Walnut Capital for the PAA when it Pitt was at the historical apex of its fiscal health.

well, i'm assuming the O wasn't making money. and no one is going to put in a business right now. i'm assuming hemingway's is getting killed as well. so probably a good time to buy if you're an investor but as you say, certainly not a priority for the university right now. too bad, though. would hate it to turnover to another crappy chain restaurant instead of something that could truly benefit the university in a key location.

I am reminded of the Varsity on the campus of GA TECH

The hot dogs are god awful, but it is an institution.
Agreed. Went there this past year for the GT game. The hot dogs, if you could call them that, were horrible. No taste, no texture. Tasted like mush on a stale bun. No dark mustard. Could not believe that the natives lined up and paid good money for that dreck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT