ADVERTISEMENT

Sheetz 🌭

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The 2 for $1 deal with your Sheetz card has to be the best deal in the country. And I dont care but I like those hot dogs.

BTW, is that Brighton Hot Dog Shop owned by the O owners? I thought I heard that. Cant believe those O dudes couldn't make that restaurant concept work anywhere other than on Forbes Ave. in Oakland. You figure that brand name is worth something. That one dude in Aliquippa has that Hills Snack Bar food truck, maybe SMF will bring back The O as a food truck.

Reactions: W1np1tt
The 2 for $1 deal with your Sheetz card has to be the best deal in the country. And I dont care but I like those hot dogs.

BTW, is that Brighton Hot Dog Shop owned by the O owners? I thought I heard that. Cant believe those O dudes couldn't make that restaurant concept work anywhere other than on Forbes Ave. in Oakland. You figure that brand name is worth something. That one dude in Aliquippa has that Hills Snack Bar food truck, maybe SMF will bring back The O as a food truck.
i always liked the brighton hot dog shoppe. any time im coming home from up north somewhere and getting off by cranberry, i'll stop there. Wish they had one in the south hills..

only real good place around south hills is the red caboose but it's way the hell out on 51 and they have really limited hours. they are only open on saturday afternoons when it's nice out, i swear it seems like that. Good dogs though

Reactions: Dan1911

Why did The O close in the first place? I thought it was very popular and surrounded by college students, selling beer, hot dogs, burgers and pizza, how did that go wrong?

Kids are eating healthier nowadays and know a lot about nutrition. The neighborhood kid that lives across the street from us graduated from Pitt May 2020. He told me that in his 4 years at Pitt, he and his roommates never went to the O.
So, they're not normal anymore? You don't have to eat healthy every day, you can go out on the weekends and get rip-roaring drunk and eat some greasy fries and burgers, can't you? Life is sad and boring for these kids? My daughter's boyfriend can play NBA2K on Xbox 24 hours a day, and I say to him when I was your age, I used to play real basketball, he just laughed, very sad IMO :)

So, they're not normal anymore? You don't have to eat healthy every day, you can go out on the weekends and get rip-roaring drunk and eat some greasy fries and burgers, can't you? Life is sad and boring for these kids? My daughter's boyfriend can play NBA2K on Xbox 24 hours a day, and I say to him when I was your age, I used to play real basketball, he just laughed, very sad IMO :)
I think kids think eating a 3,800 calorie burrito bowl or Mexican "salad" at Mad Mex or Chipotle is much, much healthier than some O's fries.. After all, come on, its a salad.

I think kids think eating a 3,800 calorie burrito bowl or Mexican "salad" at Mad Mex or Chipotle is much, much healthier than some O's fries.. After all, come on, its a salad.

this is funny. speaking of chipotle, every time i eat there, i feel like i want to die. try to avoid crap like this and other fast food restaurants but something about chipotle man, i eat there and i get tired, sad, sluggish.

lord knows what they put in that garbage that makes you feel like that immediately after consuming it..

this is funny. speaking of chipotle, every time i eat there, i feel like i want to die. try to avoid crap like this and other fast food restaurants but something about chipotle man, i eat there and i get tired, sad, sluggish.

lord knows what they put in that garbage that makes you feel like that immediately after consuming it..

I give them credit for amassing a fortune off ingredients so cheap they're tossing them to third-world country folks off helicopters. As I type this, a barefoot Ugandan child and an upscale NYC hipster are both gorging on rice and beans. The only difference is the second guy dropped 20 bucks on his.

I give them credit for amassing a fortune off ingredients so cheap they're tossing them to third-world country folks off helicopters. As I type this, a barefoot Ugandan child and an upscale NYC hipster are both gorging on rice and beans. The only difference is the second guy dropped 20 bucks on his.

I dont understand how Chipotle eliminated Qdoba who had the idea first.

I dont understand how Chipotle eliminated Qdoba who had the idea first.

I'm still mourning the loss of field trip-favorite Chi-Chi's. Not sure who took them out of business, but my first guess would be the health department.

Now that I think about it, so many of these Mexican places are here today gone tomorrow. What was the place that used to be in the Galleria? And then there used to be a Tijuana Flats in the south hills. I'm a big fan of Candado Tacos in the Village, though.

I'm still mourning the loss of field trip-favorite Chi-Chi's. Not sure who took them out of business, but my first guess would be the health department.

Now that I think about it, so many of these Mexican places are here today gone tomorrow. What was the place that used to be in the Galleria? And then there used to be a Tijuana Flats in the south hills. I'm a big fan of Candado Tacos in the Village, though.

Condado Tacos is like the Mellow Mushroom of tacos. They are so similar in "style" that I thought it was the same company so I looked it up. But its not.

BTW, when did Pittsburgh get a "Little Mexico" neighborhood. There's 1-2 blocks in Beechview that all seem to be authentic restaurants and a Mexican grocery store. I have to eat there one time.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Kids are eating healthier nowadays and know a lot about nutrition. The neighborhood kid that lives across the street from us graduated from Pitt May 2020. He told me that in his 4 years at Pitt, he and his roommates never went to the O.
Yeah, neighbor kid's mom says he isn't allowed to eat hot dogs but I always make him one when he's playing with the rest of the kids in my yard.

i always liked the brighton hot dog shoppe. any time im coming home from up north somewhere and getting off by cranberry, i'll stop there. Wish they had one in the south hills..

only real good place around south hills is the red caboose but it's way the hell out on 51 and they have really limited hours. they are only open on saturday afternoons when it's nice out, i swear it seems like that. Good dogs though
There's a Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in Green Tree on Noblestown Road (South Hills).

Reactions: e-fresh
There's a Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in Green Tree on Noblestown Road (South Hills).

When The Hell Did This Happen When The Hell Did This Happen Bttf GIF - When The Hell Did This Happen When The Hell Did This Happen Bttf How Did This Happen GIFs

Yea, I was going to say that? Huh? Does anyone in the South Hills even know about this? Between this and the new Raising Cane's in South Fayette, property valuations are going to continue to go up. Actually, I get those Zillow reports, and the 1 year forecast is FINALLY negative. Literally -0.1% Interest rates are like 20% and people still refuse to stop buying. 1 year out, they are forecasting prices staying flat.....and rates will start dropping again in 1-2 years.

Why did The O close in the first place? I thought it was very popular and surrounded by college students, selling beer, hot dogs, burgers and pizza, how did that go wrong?
The owner died. His daughter did not want to keep it. No one would buy it.

Are you sure they are still 2/$1? I was in there a couple weeks ago and I think the prices went up

Those Sheetz dogs are awful. So are the Getgo dogs. Brighton dogs are good though but that one in Greentree is filthy dirty.

I miss the Pup a Go Go days.

Hills Dept store dogs were good too.

Weiner world is still downtown I believe. Not sure if they are any good since the original owner sold.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Those Sheetz dogs are awful. So are the Getgo dogs. Brighton dogs are good though but that one in Greentree is filthy dirty.

I miss the Pup a Go Go days.

Hills Dept store dogs were good too.

Weiner world is still downtown I believe. Not sure if they are any good since the original owner sold.

They are sort of like Antoon's. Is anything that cheap that bad? And, honestly, I like their taste. And I liked the Antoon's taste. Antoon's is like $10 now. Thanks Biden. Put that on a billboard and Trump carries PA.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Hard to beat the 1/4 pound dog and 20oz drink combo at Costco for $1.50. I don't even care for hot dogs that much, but that's really the only place I'll buy them.

Good call. Sam's Club food too. They literally lose money on that food but that's part of their marketing strategy. I got me and my kid dinner one time a few months ago for $6.50. Drinks and everything.

Reactions: cbpitt2

Chi's Chi's was awesome went it first hit the scene. Literally one of the first (after Franklin Inn and Tequila Junction) Mexican places in the area. But like most places, things started to slip, food quality went down, and this was the final straw

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcoasthoops
Chi's Chi's was awesome went it first hit the scene. Literally one of the first (after Franklin Inn and Tequila Junction) Mexican places in the area. But like most places, things started to slip, food quality went down, and this was the final straw

Wow it was 20 years ago today?

Doing a bit of digging
It does appear Detroit was the original - founded in 1917
The new castle pa MP Coney started in 1923
But you can buy their chili

Doing a bit of digging
It does appear Detroit was the original - founded in 1917
The new castle pa MP Coney started in 1923
But you can buy their chili
In fairness, the Detroit thing is surely bigger, Detroit vs New Castle for god sakes, and maybe older. But also, it's probably not the same thing exactly. I've had chili all over, some of it is nothing close to NC, I've seen beans on hot dogs, lol. and also, it's all loosely related, as weird as it sounds there's a Greek American chili subculture out there, recipes are passed down from generation to generation and sold between diners, and then everyone tweaks it and makes it slightly their own, it's been going on 100 years, the funny part is it's not Greek, it's a Greek American thing. I remember going on vacation as a kid to Greece and coming back to New Castle and people saying "I bet you had some great chilidogs over there" LOL! :) there's no chilidogs in Greece, Greek Americans invented it here, to sell to Americans.

If you want to eat the best hot dogs anywhere, go to new castle

Closet PSU supporters.

In fairness, the Detroit thing is surely bigger, Detroit vs New Castle for god sakes, and maybe older. But also, it's probably not the same thing exactly. I've had chili all over, some of it is nothing close to NC, I've seen beans on hot dogs, lol. and also, it's all loosely related, as weird as it sounds there's a Greek American chili subculture out there, recipes are passed down from generation to generation and sold between diners, and then everyone tweaks it and makes it slightly their own, it's been going on 100 years, the funny part is it's not Greek, it's a Greek American thing. I remember going on vacation as a kid to Greece and coming back to New Castle and people saying "I bet you had some great chilidogs over there" LOL! :) there's no chilidogs in Greece, Greek Americans invented it here, to sell to Americans.
The "chili" on coney dogs is pretty much the same type of meat sauce you'll find in moussaka and pastitsio, most coney islands/diners use the same stuff for all three.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT