ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Open...

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
Going into Day 2, Spieth in the lead. Appears tomorrow will be another typical Open forecast. For once I have zero opinion on who I like.

Thoughts?

Going into Day 2, Spieth in the lead. Appears tomorrow will be another typical Open forecast. For once I have zero opinion on who I like.

Thoughts?

After the US Open, not feeling like a US Open, Im looking forward to some good old fashioned British Open weather

Reactions: pitt-girl
I'm on Justin Thomas at 40-1. I think there's no doubt he wins a major soon, hoping it's this weekend.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Just turned it on - ouch - that weather is brutal.

Liking Koepka here if he can keep it together. Recovering nicely from errant shots.

Reactions: P1TTFAN
Kind of gets ya in the mood for Dunkirk though, doesn't it.
We're going tomorrow afternoon. I know someone who was invited to an early screening and he said it is utterly phenomenal.

I'm on Justin Thomas at 40-1. I think there's no doubt he wins a major soon, hoping it's this weekend.

I got Thomas at 50-1 at the start (along with Hideki and Scott). Unfortunately he's +8 through 6 holes today as he just carded a 9 on the par 4 6th. Oy.

I'm pretty sure my only two bets at -600 or greater in my life have been:
- Hillary for president
- DJ, Speith, or Fowler NOT winning this tournament

Ouch.

Looks like low numbers are back now that the weather is okay.

Brandon Grace put up a 62, a record for a major.

Just a little rant here - I get links courses in Europe. I get that the majority are all very old and not very long. Watching today in these conditions was like the 4 days of the US Open that just passed. TOO easy.

I had to chuckle when I heard the announcer making the excuse that "the course is playing very easy today because it's so wet". WTF? IT'S COASTAL ENGLAND. It's always wet!!!!! I understand that the absence of wind is somewhat aberrant, but c'mon. Any course is going to be harder if you're counting on 20-30 MPH winds. Pick a course that is hard in any conditions, or as close as you can get.

The End.

Reactions: Chaos
Looks like low numbers are back now that the weather is okay.

Brandon Grace put up a 62, a record for a major.

Just a little rant here - I get links courses in Europe. I get that the majority are all very old and not very long. Watching today in these conditions was like the 4 days of the US Open that just passed. TOO easy.

I had to chuckle when I heard the announcer making the excuse that "the course is playing very easy today because it's so wet". WTF? IT'S COASTAL ENGLAND. It's always wet!!!!! I understand that the absence of wind is somewhat aberrant, but c'mon. Any course is going to be harder if you're counting on 20-30 MPH winds. Pick a course that is hard in any conditions, or as close as you can get.

The End.

The greens being slower than an "American major" are also a factor. When you have the potential for wind they can't make them like table tops. So when it's wet (means soft) no wind and slower greens it means these guys have the green light all day. They don't have to play much defense and can be much more aggressive so this is what happens.

The greens being slower than an "American major" are also a factor. When you have the potential for wind they can't make them like table tops. So when it's wet (means soft) no wind and slower greens it means these guys have the green light all day. They don't have to play much defense and can be much more aggressive so this is what happens.
I understand that. My point is the US Open and the British Open should never have double digit scores and that's where it's headed. I'v always thought those 2 tournaments out of all of them are supposed to be the most challenging. Maybe I'm wrong.

But the thing is, it's pretty much always wet (or soft) at courses like Birkdale. It's not like the course is in a location where they frequently go a week or two in the summer with little or no rain. It rains there all the time.

What they've got today though is the worst of all worlds with regards to scoring conditions, at least if you like the course to be tough on the golfers. If the wind were blowing like normal today it wouldn't be nearly as easy. And they normally do have the wind. This isn't like the US Open where people were saying "yeah, it's easy, but if it was really windy the scoring wouldn't be near as good." Because the wind doesn't normally blow in Wisconsin like it does on the west coast of England.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
When its windy with rain which is the norm its "impossible" golf. Players play in rain suits etc., hit out of high wet rough, balls plug minimal roll out, putting is challenging, etc.
When the weather is nice the courses in that neck of the woods are very playable, and the scores are low.

I understand that. My point is the US Open and the British Open should never have double digit scores and that's where it's headed. I'v always thought those 2 tournaments out of all of them are supposed to be the most challenging. Maybe I'm wrong.

You're right but none of the courses in the British rota are overly difficult. It's more the usual conditions as Joe said that hold scores down. These guys will carve any of those tracks up when conditions are benign as they are now.

When its windy with rain which is the norm its "impossible" golf. Players play in rain suits etc., hit out of high wet rough, balls plug minimal roll out, putting is challenging, etc.
When the weather is nice the courses in that neck of the woods are very playable, and the scores are low.
Exactly. That's why i don't understand the choice of venue. Same problem with this year's US Open.

But the thing is, it's pretty much always wet (or soft) at courses like Birkdale. It's not like the course is in a location where they frequently go a week or two in the summer with little or no rain. It rains there all the time.

What they've got today though is the worst of all worlds with regards to scoring conditions, at least if you like the course to be tough on the golfers. If the wind were blowing like normal today it wouldn't be nearly as easy. And they normally do have the wind. This isn't like the US Open where people were saying "yeah, it's easy, but if it was really windy the scoring wouldn't be near as good." Because the wind doesn't normally blow in Wisconsin like it does on the west coast of England.

Oh no question - I agree. The wind would normally dry things up some as well making the course a bit different for the leaders. Could play a little firmer and faster if it blows all day with no additional rain.

You're right but none of the courses in the British rota are overly difficult. It's more the usual conditions as Joe said that hold scores down. These guys will carve any of those tracks up when conditions are benign as they are now.
Again - I've said the same thing. I happen to believe that there are other courses available for the Open that are more difficult in all weather conditions. As I prefaced earlier, it's a given that these courses are very old and consequently not very long. I also concede that any course could be somewhat harder in certain weather conditions. But I also think there are compromises. Oakmont, for example, is a course that is challenging for these golfers in almost all weather conditions. That's my only point.

The fairways are also uber wide. Wider than your average John Deere classic. So without wind, with wide fairways, and not very long, they are tearing this place apart. They need to shrink the fairways, make more trouble, hazards. That being said, Spieth is here -9, Kuchar at -8, Koepka at -5, afew guys at -4, so it is not like there are tons of guys at a double digit under par score this far into Rd 3.

I've liked the Tournament. Similar to Erin Hills, you're getting a good mix of players in contention. It's not like your typical PGA track where you know the bomb-and-gougers are going to dominate and there's no thought about how to play the next shot.

US Open should take a cue from The Open and arbitrarily knock a few strokes off par next time they're at Erin Hills, though.

I've liked the Tournament. Similar to Erin Hills, you're getting a good mix of players in contention. It's not like your typical PGA track where you know the bomb-and-gougers are going to dominate and there's no thought about how to play the next shot.

US Open should take a cue from The Open and arbitrarily knock a few strokes off par next time they're at Erin Hills, though.
My guess is they'll never be back at Erin Hills without changes to the course. Way too much criticism.

Reactions: P1TTFAN

Thoughts?

My thoughts are:

1. white bread
2. i won 2018 masters tickets for sunday

From the Cheap Seats; agree with you out the US Open. The USGA always tries to set the course up on the very edge of playability. In the UK, you play the course as you find it. Tradition dictates that it has to be a links course. This year is a classic example of the degrees of playability of links courses. I'm hoping the wind blows tomorrow.

In the US there's no excuse for picking a " bad" course for the US Open since we have an abundance of great courses.

That's not the case for the British Open since championship course availability is limited to a handful of courses.

And degree of difficulty isn't built into the course its weather dependent

Reactions: pitt-girl
A Spieth, Kuchar, and Koepka finish in any order would be great IMO.
US sweep in the Briish Open !!!

Fowler and Dustin Johnson are a long way back but I'd like to see them move up.

Happy to see these guys no where in sight:
Garcia
Rose
Scott
Day
Poulter

Last edited:
British opens are horrible events to watch on tv. And I like watching golf.

USA #1 Koepka & # 2 Harman in the US Open
USA # 1 Spieth & # 2 Kuchar in the British Open ( go into their house and eat their lunch)
Ryder Cup winner

Make America Even More Dominant!

I know many of you posters hate when the USA wins LOL!
Makes this even better!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT