ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Open...

The bogey was amazing enough then what happened after........
Wow

The field is deep, no doubt , but wanted to see one of the winning good young golfers step up to the plate.

Done.

To play four holes in a row birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie on the back nine after you've just bogeyed to lose the lead is amazing.

Havent seen anything like that since Tiger in his prime. I went into today figuring the most unflappable golfer was Spieth, so with the lead and pretty decent conditions, he would just go on cruise control unless Kuchar does something spectacular like Stenson's 63 last year in the final pairing. But Spieth was blowing it. Bad shot. Missed short putts then I figured he lost it on that wayward (to be kind) tee shot on 13. He lost his lead, seems like he lost his mojo and nerves.

Then wham. Almost holes his tee shot on 14 for a hole in one, and gets a tap in birdie. Eagles 15. Birdies 16 on a long putt. Game over. Birdie on 17 just to close it in style.

What a finish. Felt bad for Kuchar. But Spieth is going to be in the history books by the time it is all done, unless he is done in by Denny's waitresses and Ambien.

The bogey was amazing enough then what happened after........
Wow

The field is deep, no doubt , but wanted to see one of the winning good young golfers step up to the plate.

Done.

You saw the best of those step up. I think Spieth just is a cut above the rest of them.

To play four holes in a row birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie on the back nine after you've just bogeyed to lose the lead is amazing.
Yep! I picked Matty Boy Wed night (Locker Room), sooo close! Double bogey on 16 yesterday cost him. Great play by Jordan, 5 under in 4 holes, NEVER seen anything lilke it on
the final backside at a Major, including Arnie!

Last edited:
It wasn't just a "routine" bogey. He had hit his drive 100 yds offline next to the practice facility.

The announcers were saying he has no shot and he should bring the ball back to the tee after a penalty stroke which was one of his options. The other announcer said Spieth would be lucky to get the ball back to the fairway and might end up with an unplayable in the high grass.

Instead he hit a blind fairway wood shot in about the only safe place he could have landed the ball, and somehow squeaked out a bogey which keep him in the game.
That could have been a disaster but he's a "gusty" player!

Reactions: PKnPK
Havent seen anything like that since Tiger in his prime. I went into today figuring the most unflappable golfer was Spieth, so with the lead and pretty decent conditions, he would just go on cruise control unless Kuchar does something spectacular like Stenson's 63 last year in the final pairing. But Spieth was blowing it. Bad shot. Missed short putts then I figured he lost it on that wayward (to be kind) tee shot on 13. He lost his lead, seems like he lost his mojo and nerves.

Then wham. Almost holes his tee shot on 14 for a hole in one, and gets a tap in birdie. Eagles 15. Birdies 16 on a long putt. Game over. Birdie on 17 just to close it in style.

What a finish. Felt bad for Kuchar. But Spieth is going to be in the history books by the time it is all done, unless he is done in by Denny's waitresses and Ambien.
I was rooting all the way for Kuchar. At 41, not sure he'll ever be in this position again. I think he's a good guy.

Reactions: H2P-2007
I was rooting all the way for Kuchar. At 41, not sure he'll ever be in this position again. I think he's a good guy.
From the Cheap Seats; agree with your comments. Think he has at least three more good tries left. Don't think he can win the Masters, but I think he can win one of the other three.

It was 4 under in the last 5 holes but it was an amazing stretch. That horrific 13th hole could have killed him but only energized him. Great show.

No. Golf fans enjoy great golf. Dopes like you put other things into the equation.
I not sure you're a fan of anything or understand fans!
For example lets say you're a diehard PITT fan like Mrs Buffett and I are.
I doubt you enjoy great football if the Nitters or Hoopies are pounding PITT. On the other hand if PITT is pounding them as a football fan you're enjoying the great football.
Golf, tennis, etc is the same. My team is the USA and all the American golfers are on that team. I enjoy golf when my team and its players are winning or at the top of the leaderboard.

When Faldo announces golf he favors the Euros, when John and Patrick McEnroe announce tennis they favor and comment more about the American players.

Even though golf is an individual sport Country dominance in golf for example sets tone for player conficence commentary/predictions for the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup! Two of our favorate golf events! The players know what countries are dominating the sport just look at the conversation around the LPGA these days.

Fans have teams and they enjoy the sport more when their team is doing well.

Most fans have a tea, pick a side, and dont just sit there in awe of the great -----------.

I also have to laugh at the two children posting in the thread who have to resort to calling people names???
Interesting!

I'm sure one name calling child learned his craft by watching CNN or MSNBC not sure where you got your juvenile name calling training!

Last edited:
I doubt you enjoy great football if the Nitters or Hoopies are pounding PITT. On the other hand if PITT is pounding them as a football fan you're enjoying the great football.
Golf, tennis, etc is the same. My team is the USA and all the American golfers are on that team. I enjoy golf when my team and its players are winning or at the top of the leaderboard.

When Faldo announces golf he favors the Euros, when John and Patrick McEnroe announce tennis they favor and comment more about the American players.

Even though golf is an individual sport Country dominance in golf for example sets tone for player conficence commentary/predictions for the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup! Two of our favorate golf events! The players know what countries are dominating the sport just look at the conversation around the LPGA these days.

Most fans have a tea, pick a side, and dont just sit there in awe of the great -----------.

I also have to laugh at the two children posting in the thread who have to resort to calling people names???
Interesting!

I'm sure one name calling child learned his craft by watching CNN or MSNBC not sure where you got your juvenile name calling training!
As usual you have to take the conversation off track. This is about golf. Try and keep up.. True golf fans enjoy watching great golf. No matter who wins. You are still a Dope...

Interesting!

Fortunteky the overwhelming European majority of attending fans wete far more gracious than you, and loudly cheered Spieth throughout that incredible back 9. You'd be the Ugly American in the crowd shouting "USA...USA...USA!l"

Fortunteky the overwhelming European majority of attending fans wete far more gracious than you, and loudly cheered Spieth throughout that incredible back 9. You'd be the Ugly American in the crowd shouting "USA...USA...USA!l"
4308_4.jpg

many examples of the ryder cup across the ocean that proves this is not true. Different format of course but still, don't kid yourselves into believing there isn't anti-American feel on the golf course in Europe..

People root for their countrymen, nothing wrong with that. Outside of Rocky IV of course..

many examples of the ryder cup across the ocean that proves this is not true. Different format of course but still, don't kid yourselves into believing there isn't anti-American feel on the golf course in Europe..

People root for their countrymen, nothing wrong with that. Outside of Rocky IV of course..

That's fine, but Buffett Parrothead (a perfect name by the way) is the guy rooting for John Jaso over Gregory Polanco because "he's an 'merican an at" and would trade Evgeny Malkin because "he's a damn commie".

There is patriotism, there are jingoistic idiots also.

Reactions: _fugazi_
That's fine, but Buffett Parrothead (a perfect name by the way) is the guy rooting for John Jaso over Gregory Polanco because "he's an 'merican an at" and would trade Evgeny Malkin because "he's a damn commie".

There is patriotism, there are jingoistic idiots also.
yeah, im as patriotic as they come but im not nearly that bad. I'll go so far to say that I'd rather have less Americans on the penguins.. Give me more latino players on the bucs too and I actually root, PASSIONATELY, against the USA mens basketball team come Olympics..

I did find myself rooting for the animated shark over Michael Phelps last night too, not sure the original nationality of the computer animated great white, he didn't look American though.

yeah, im as patriotic as they come but im not nearly that bad. I'll go so far to say that I'd rather have less Americans on the penguins.. Give me more latino players on the bucs too and I actually root, PASSIONATELY, against the USA mens basketball team come Olympics..

I did find myself rooting for the animated shark over Michael Phelps last night too, not sure the original nationality of the computer animated great white, he didn't look American though.

I mean some guys, golf specifically, if you have followed golf, Sergio Garcia is Sergio Garcia. Rory McIlroy is Rory McIlroy. They have been in our living rooms since they were 19 years old. When they are on the Europe Ryder Cup team, yeah I root against them. But in a regular tourney, take Zach Johnson, he of cornfed, Midwest America, I don't root for Zack over Sergio or Rory in a US Open.

I mean some guys, golf specifically, if you have followed golf, Sergio Garcia is Sergio Garcia. Rory McIlroy is Rory McIlroy. They have been in our living rooms since they were 19 years old. When they are on the Europe Ryder Cup team, yeah I root against them. But in a regular tourney, take Zach Johnson, he of cornfed, Midwest America, I don't root for Zack over Sergio or Rory in a US Open.
I absolutely hate, HATE, Parnavic (sp?) and Monty, and they are both European, I think. I found myself hating Mike Weir too because Canadiens would boast about how their lefty was better than ours (Mickelson). Sergio became likeable the older he got, he talked less and figured out his mental hiccups on the Tee that went from comical, to annoying, to sad.. Rory is irish, got to love anyone from Ireland..

So what's all this tell you? Actually I have no idea what that tells me.. I think it comes down to personality over national ancestry. Zach Johnson is a boring human being, or comes off as one on tv. tough to root for someone so vanilla. I like Bubba, he has some personality even if he berates his caddy. Give me someone with some charisma any day and i'll root for them

I absolutely hate, HATE, Parnavic (sp?) and Monty, and they are both European, I think. I found myself hating Mike Weir too because Canadiens would boast about how their lefty was better than ours (Mickelson). Sergio became likeable the older he got, he talked less and figured out his mental hiccups on the Tee that went from comical, to annoying, to sad.. Rory is irish, got to love anyone from Ireland..

So what's all this tell you? Actually I have no idea what that tells me..
I hope Figjam never wins his US Open..

So what's all this tell you? Actually I have no idea what that tells me.. I think it comes down to personality over national ancestry. Zach Johnson is a boring human being, or comes off as one on tv. tough to root for someone so vanilla. I like Bubba, he has some personality even if he berates his caddy. Give me someone with some charisma any day and i'll root for them

That's exactly it. I root for the personalities. Now that Monty is out, much like Faldo, you see they are pretty good, engaging guys, but on the tour, they were just cold, insufferable bores. To be honest, it is why I while I respected Tiger and loved watching him, I never really liked him because he seemed standoffish and arrogant. But part of that was to intimidate who he was playing against, which is OK too.

That's exactly it. I root for the personalities. Now that Monty is out, much like Faldo, you see they are pretty good, engaging guys, but on the tour, they were just cold, insufferable bores. To be honest, it is why I while I respected Tiger and loved watching him, I never really liked him because he seemed standoffish and arrogant. But part of that was to intimidate who he was playing against, which is OK too.
I found myself hating tiger at a very young age same reason I hated Jordan. They were both thrust so much down our proverbial throats. I get it, they are both a marketing bonanza, Tiger even moreso. Just one of those types that were so good, and that everyone loved, that I found myself rooting against them. But you are right, the league (NBA) and golf were much better with them than with out them. Just figures that you found so polarizing, you always had a strong emotion either good or bad..

If you are enough of a golf fan that you know the players pretty well, I don't know how you can help rooting for guys for their personality more so than their nationality. All things being equal, root for the American. If it's an obnoxious American vs a foreigner who seems like a good guy, I'll take the foreigner.

Birkdale is actually one of the tougher Open courses. The R&A is just not obsessed with manipulating scores like the USGA. Wind is really the only thing that makes a links course play easy or difficult. Rain doesn't make much difference on links turf, other than the amount of rain in prior weeks determining whether the fescue rough is thick or wispy.

Great Britain and Ireland really don't get much more rain than a lot of places in this country, it's just lighter but more frequent. I've never had non-playable rain on a trip there, but have had rounds washed out on domestic trips. The wind that can accompany rain there makes it seem brutal.

I found myself hating tiger at a very young age same reason I hated Jordan. They were both thrust so much down our proverbial throats. I get it, they are both a marketing bonanza, Tiger even moreso. Just one of those types that were so good, and that everyone loved, that I found myself rooting against them. But you are right, the league (NBA) and golf were much better with them than with out them. Just figures that you found so polarizing, you always had a strong emotion either good or bad..

I started disliking Tiger when it was becoming obvious to anyone with a brain that they image they were portraying and the person he actually was weren't the same. The real Tiger was aloof, standoffish, guarded by his agent and possibly the least accommodating person to the press. It's why the press so gleefully jumped on him when he fell.

I'll gladly root for a Jason Day or Ian Poulter over a notorious asshole like Woods, Bubba Watson, or a womanizing cokehead like Dustin Johnson - golf's first wigger major winner. I don't give a damn what zip code they were born in.

Phil was always portrayed as the Bizarro Tiger.. he was a Dick to many on Tour. Callaway paid off his Millions in gambling debts when he switched over..

Never heard the Callaway/debt story but not surprised.

Have read plenty that he's not always exactly as he portrays when there aren't any cameras.

Never heard the Callaway/debt story but not surprised.

Have read plenty that he's not always exactly as he portrays when there aren't any cameras.
My buddy qualified for Sunnehanna Amateur over me and I caddied for him. We were paired with Phil in practice rd and 1st rd along with Duval.. Both were pricks to the rest of the group and caddies.. neither spoke a word to anyone else..

Man, feels like 100 years ago..

My buddy qualified for Sunnehanna Amateur over me and I caddied for him. We were paired with Phil in practice rd and 1st rd along with Duval.. Both were pricks to the rest of the group and caddies.. neither spoke a word to anyone else..

Man, feels like 100 years ago..

You must have had quite a game. To even have the possibility of being in the Sunnehanna is impressive.

Duvall seems to have calmed down as he got on in years but he was most certainly a prickly SOB early on.

I started disliking Tiger when it was becoming obvious to anyone with a brain that they image they were portraying and the person he actually was weren't the same. The real Tiger was aloof, standoffish, guarded by his agent and possibly the least accommodating person to the press. It's why the press so gleefully jumped on him when he fell.

I'll gladly root for a Jason Day or Ian Poulter over a notorious asshole like Woods, Bubba Watson, or a womanizing cokehead like Dustin Johnson - golf's first wigger major winner. I don't give a damn what zip code they were born in.
still don't get the disdain for Bubba Watson. dude seems pretty grounded and with a sense of humor..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT